Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DBZfan29 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:33 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Perhaps, or maybe in April even around the 30th anniversary itself since that's when DBZ premiered on TV back in 1989. Though i guess we will see in the coming weeks when the announcement eventually comes.
I agree. I think it may even be possible that Lisa Yamatoya simply got the anniversary dates wrong. Dragon Ball started in February, Z started in April. It's an easy mistake to make.
it doesn't make sense, for me it would have been logical to release the first box for the z anniversary so meaning that for an april release, an announcement before , if they just make the announcement and that you need to wait months to buy them it can't be 30th anniversary edition, it's like someone birth in may having gift in december.
just idiot

using db first airing would have been a great things, now they are just playing with fans as usual
Not really. IIRC Jump has been celebrating its 50th for over a year now (or it at least felt like it). DB probably did that too around the 30th. There’s also ZARD, the artist who did some GT songs. They celebrated her 20th anniversary with releases throughout the year.

They can release it whenever they want and still call it an anniversary release. A couple of months difference is not gonna matter.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

So Toei animation say they going to make an announcement on a 30th anniversary collectible home video release in February...

...and now we're in March...

...what happened?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:22 pm

This comment was made in a trade publication that probably had some heavy lead time prior to its release, and was likely never intended to be seen or given a second thought about it being seen by general audiences.

Holy cheeseballs, hold tight y'all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Let me just say this, I understand those of you that want a great release at a fair price. Don't you think instead of bitching what the options are now we wait to see what this release actually is? I won't get my hopes up but then again i own all of the Dragonball releases except the god awful Orange Bricks. Will i buy it again if it isn't terrible? Of course i will but thats beyond the point. I know we are all anxious, excited and possibly nervous but lets see what they announce before we criticize both Funimation and Toei for what we think they will do based off of past failures ;).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:37 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Let me just say this, I understand those of you that want a great release at a fair price. Don't you think instead of bitching what the options are now we wait to see what this release actually is? I won't get my hopes up but then again i own all of the Dragonball releases except the god awful Orange Bricks. Will i buy it again if it isn't terrible? Of course i will but thats beyond the point. I know we are all anxious, excited and possibly nervous but lets see what they announce before we criticize both Funimation and Toei for what we think they will do based off of past failures ;).
I agree man, i mean i own most of the FUNi Dragon Boxes myself (aside from volumes 4 and 7 but still searching for those) so we just all need to wait and see for once an official announcement about the release drops.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:09 pm

I was about to buy the movies in blue-ray but i decided to wait until they announce this new release.

Hopefully they release those new movie remasters that Toei did along with the entire Dragon ball and Dragon ball z series and if possible the entire Dragon ball GT series remastered on Blue-ray.
My English is poor .

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm so excited about what this release could be. I would love it if they reprinted the dragon books, condensed them down into one, and included it with this release, hopefully in a nice chipboard box. Let's hope for news soon.

Here we go....

https://mobile.twitter.com/FUNimation/s ... 5143520259

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:46 am

>All the zoomers in the comments wanting more super
Urgh :sick:
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 am

Geekdom said an interesting thing in the other thread...

He's often been right about these things, but it is ultimately unconfirmed so take it with a grain of salt as you always should for anything not officially announced, but...
30th Anniversary Remasters ARE coming.
Will be announced VERY soon.
Z first (presumably)
4:3
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
Oooo! That'd be fantastic if it's true.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:30 am

Robo4900 wrote:Geekdom said an interesting thing in the other thread...

He's often been right about these things, but it is ultimately unconfirmed so take it with a grain of salt as you always should for anything not officially announced, but...
Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
Does localized mean English dialogue or US Broadcast Audio (Faulconer/Menza/Johnson) Music?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:33 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:

Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
Does localized mean English dialogue or US Broadcast Audio (Faulconer/Menza/Johnson) Music?
Hope it will come out in France and that it's got oba. And I hope this makes kei share all his db audio (he supposedly has all db now) with Funimation.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 am

So sad that the first part of the DB BD release (The Movies) was f*cking terrible.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:45 am

Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
If this is true, and if the US BD release is region-free (alternately Manga UK puts out their own version which doesn't randomly screw something up like they're so prone to doing), I am definitely buying it. This despite the fact that I have not watched Z since I finished my US Dragon Box collection and don't really feel any desire to sit through the whole thing again. But if this is indeed what we'll be getting in the near future, it needs to be supported. Make a proper version of the show readily available to the fans, already!

...Oh and I also hope that the English release will keep the JP title cards. English credits I can accept as long as all the opening/ending animations are correct, but the dub episode titles diverge so drastically from the Japanese that I really don't want them to replace those again.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:52 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:Does localized mean English dialogue or US Broadcast Audio (Faulconer/Menza/Johnson) Music?
I think it will mean at the very least English menus and subtitles. MIGHT BE multi-region discs that includes the new Japanese audio, and a new mix from Funi that includes their old voice tracks alongside the higher-quality Kikuchi score.
Vegard Aune wrote:

If this is true, and if the US BD release is region-free (alternately Manga UK puts out their own version which doesn't randomly screw something up like they're so prone to doing), I am definitely buying it. This despite the fact that I have not watched Z since I finished my US Dragon Box collection and don't really feel any desire to sit through the whole thing again. But if this is indeed what we'll be getting in the near future, it needs to be supported. Make a proper version of the show readily available to the fans, already!

...Oh and I also hope that the English release will keep the JP title cards. English credits I can accept as long as all the opening/ending animations are correct, but the dub episode titles diverge so drastically from the Japanese that I really don't want them to replace those again.
I'm in a similar boat; I technically have no need for these as I have Z Kai, but darnit how can I say no to 'em, right?

I'm on the fence regarding new title cards. Maybe translating them as subtitles, but at the same time the English ones are a heck of a lot more memorable than most of the Japanes ones. It's why most people just say "Ep 95" or "Bulma and the Frogs" rather than "Transformed at Last! The Legendary Super Saiyan, Son Goku", right?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:54 am

Sani007 wrote:So sad that the first part of the DB BD release (The Movies) was f*cking terrible.
Some movies weren't and absolutely not the DB movies.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:57 am

sangofe wrote:
Sani007 wrote:So sad that the first part of the DB BD release (The Movies) was f*cking terrible.
All of them are worse than the Amazon Masters.
If I don't even mention censorship (the main sin), DNR ruined all of them.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 am

Sani007 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
All of them are worse than the Amazon Masters.
If I don't even mention censorship (the main sin), DNR ruined all of them.
Yeah except for the bitate. Fortunately the censoring didn't apply for the DB movies.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 am

jaisonas wrote:>All the zoomers in the comments wanting more super
Urgh :sick:
All the people here want to give Toei more money for a butchered adaptation of Toriyama's manga urgh :sick:

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:Does localized mean English dialogue or US Broadcast Audio (Faulconer/Menza/Johnson) Music?
I think it will mean at the very least English menus and subtitles. MIGHT BE multi-region discs that includes the new Japanese audio, and a new mix from Funi that includes their old voice tracks alongside the higher-quality Kikuchi score.
Vegard Aune wrote:

I'm in a similar boat; I technically have no need for these as I have Z Kai, but darnit how can I say no to 'em, right?

I'm on the fence regarding new title cards. Maybe translating them as subtitles, but at the same time the English ones are a heck of a lot more memorable than most of the Japanes ones. It's why most people just say "Ep 95" or "Bulma and the Frogs" rather than "Transformed at Last! The Legendary Super Saiyan, Son Goku", right?
If they release this and it doesn't have the US Broadcast music (Faulconer/Johnson) as an option I'm not buying.