Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 pm

The four and three star balls are promising. Hopefully they include at least the TV specials in this set. And maybe this is a bit of a stretch, but I'm hoping this will lead to similar sets with DB and GT. I'd say if we're ever going to get the Broadcast Audio in any official capacity, it'll either be in this release, or never.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:19 pm

I am so excited for this set! I was still a kid when the Dragon Boxes came out so I couldn’t get my parents to buy me all 7. Now that I’ve got my own money I am happy to be able to support the series with this huge release!

Anyone thinking the hardcover book might be a localization of that “Golden Warrior” artbook that came out a while back? It has been sold out for years and this could be a great way to update and rerelease it.

Also totally didn’t get the 4:3 hint. People on Twitter were saying “April 3” as if that made any sense (March 4 would have made more sense for the actual announcement). I’m anxious to learn more!
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Hang on, why did we Get this before Japan?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:26 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:It has begun!
https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/?utm ... override=1
-The complete Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray with new bonus content
-North America’s first ever full-sized hardback artbook—available only in this set!
-An exclusive collectible figure—not available anywhere else!
we’re going to need at least 2,500 of you super fans to help make this happen!
This sounds like a one shot set, I wonder what the price will be?
I get "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country."...

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm considering supporting this, but I'll need some more information like the technical aspects (AR, audio specifics, etc...) and price before I can safely justify committing to this (I HOPE there won't just be a limited collectors edition kind of release like the DBOX's were, there also needs to be an option for casual fans to get the series in this quality as well but don't care about the extras, otherwise Toei and FUNimation would be seriously shooting themselves in the foot).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:50 pm

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Shortened link for the FUNi page:
https://bit.ly/2Xyjqza

I went ahead with the email sign-up.

Seriously, FUNimation. Seriously, Toei. It's now or never.

4:3 ratio.
Japanese broadcast audio.
Uncensored.
It's gotta happen now. I don't really see Blu-Ray still being a thing when the 40th anniversary hits.

(Of course, the crazy completist in me would want all the various English dubs included, but I know it's a pipe dream to except anything other than what FUNi financed themselves.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:04 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Shortened link for the FUNi page:

Uncensored.
It's gotta happen now. I don't really see Blu-Ray still being a thing when the 40th anniversary hits.

(Of course, the crazy completist in me would want all the various English dubs included, but I know it's a pipe dream to except anything other than what FUNi financed themselves.)
I was thinking it would be cool if the put the ocean dub (SD) on one or two blurays as a bonus since that was the first incarnation of Z in the US.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:06 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:

Uncensored.

I was thinking it would be cool if the put the ocean dub (SD) on one or two blurays as a bonus since that was the first incarnation of Z in the US.
What if these are the season sets re-packaged... Says no mention of "remastered" anywhere, or the aspect audio.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:08 pm

A little frustrated that after this series gets consistently screwed over release after release, fans still have to jump through hoops like this to make a good release happen. That said, I signed. And I'll likely encourage anyone else I can to do so as well.

So, in the scenario Funimation doesn't get the 2500 reservations they want, what happens? I know it says they won't create the set, but what about Toei? Are the reservations just to confirm a domestic release of the set, or is the presumably inevitable Japanese release also contingent on these numbers? Assuming this is finally the good HD release we're all waiting for, I'll absolutely import if I have to.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 pm

sangofe wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:

Uncensored.

What if these are the season sets re-packaged... Says no mention of "remastered" anywhere, or the aspect audio.
Its very possible, I'm basing off of Geekdoms post tho. Tho, I'm not sure how he's not sure if its broacast audio or not cause he says it sounds good, and while the Bluray audio is cleaner the vocals are still really muffled. However, if i's the season sets then I have zero interest. Also could be FUNI's remaster uncropped.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Holly shit it's just dbz no db and gt....

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:14 pm

ErikB wrote:A little frustrated that after this series gets consistently screwed over release after release, fans still have to jump through hoops like this to make a good release happen. That said, I signed. And I'll likely encourage anyone else I can to do so as well.

So, in the scenario Funimation doesn't get the 2500 reservations they want, what happens? I know it says they won't create the set, but what about Toei? Are the reservations just to confirm a domestic release of the set, or is the presumably inevitable Japanese release also contingent on these numbers? Assuming this is finally the good HD release we're all waiting for, I'll absolutely import if I have to.
I worried about this release when it was teased as a collaboration between the two companies. Japanese Blu-rays are ridiculously expensive and since both US and Japan are region A, I wondered how they were gonna give the US a typical price for this sort of thing while expecting the Japanese fans to pay at least twice as much. This 2,500 units thing seems like it could be their way to address that. I do think Japan will get something different and much more expensive regardless.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:17 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:
ErikB wrote:A little frustrated that after this series gets consistently screwed over release after release, fans still have to jump through hoops like this to make a good release happen. That said, I signed. And I'll likely encourage anyone else I can to do so as well.

I worried about this release when it was teased as a collaboration between the two companies. Japanese Blu-rays are ridiculously expensive and since both US and Japan are region A, I wondered how they were gonna give the US a typical price for this sort of thing while expecting the Japanese fans to pay at least twice as much. This 2,500 units thing seems like it could be their way to address that. I do think Japan will get something different and much more expensive regardless.
It may still be a collaboration. We will get he best of both companies. Censoring by Toei, DNR and colours by Funi :^))
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:22 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:

You also have to consider that (like the Dragon Boxes) FUNimation is in competition with itself. There is already a (widely acceptable) Blu-ray release for the average fan that can still be bought and is pretty cheap and I think this gauging of interest it a direct response to the DBox and most notably the Level sets. While in Japan, this will be the first time Z has been put on bluray so there is more of a reason to upcharge. Now if the demand for these in the US in Japan, that I am not sure.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:24 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Holly shit it's just dbz no db and gt....
Well, hopefully Japan will end up getting it all if FUNimation doesn't.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:37 pm

I have no worries at all that Funi will get the 2,500 reservations. That’s not a big number at all especially for a franchise as big as Dragon Ball. It’s one of the biggest anime fandoms in the US. For the collector market of DB that sounds just about right to me.

Now what I am worried about is if I personally can afford what they will ask for. Obviously as a very limited release I am expecting a hefty price tag and I am just not sure I can justify it even if I want it. I hope it’s more affordable than I fear but I am fearing the worst.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Is it 2500 preorders they want?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:47 pm

sangofe wrote:Is it 2500 preorders they want?

Yes it says they need a minimum of 2500 preorders to even release this set at all

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 pm

After all this still no Dragonball Dragonbox?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.