Geekdom says remasters coming

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Geekdom says remasters coming

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:12 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

I remember making a video telling everybody that they were going to remaster the entire series in 2019 and 2020 and that was literally six months ago.

Here we are and that we still have non-believers.

I could have Toriyama on my channel someday some people will still say I'm "sketchy" and nonsense like that.

K, believe what you want
Geek! When you say "better/new audio quality" you mean the broadcast audio?!
To be honest, I am not 100% sure if it is or just cleaned up but it sounds majestic.
If it sounds any better than the Season BDs' Japanese audio did, then it's broadcast audio, almost certainly.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:14 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
Godgoku95 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
To be honest, I am not 100% sure if it is or just cleaned up but it sounds majestic.
HEY Geekdom should i import the Japanese blu-rays if they get something we can't get?
Watch my new videos. They'll be localized.
I know I just wanted ur opinion

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:56 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Geek! When you say "better/new audio quality" you mean the broadcast audio?!
If it sounds any better than the Season BDs' Japanese audio did, then it's broadcast audio, almost certainly.
Geekdom : Were you given a sample since you can comment on the audio?

Also, know if these will be censored?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
Spencer_23 wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
Geekdom is typically right on this stuff, but I’m not taking his word as a confirmed announcement at this point. That’s why I was asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this happening. Obviously I’m in wait and see mode right now. Bring info or don’t comment.

He’s hit or miss at best. I remember him STRONGLY claiming Broly would never be a thing lol
Yeah, me and about 10,000 other people about 3 years ago. What a joke of a reach.

Hit or miss?

Some of ya'll legit sound like clowns when you say this, no offense. I've broken more stories in the past 3 years than anybody and if you don't believe me, ask some of the mods on this very board. Ask Ajay, Herms, Redux, Terez. Some of YOUR people about my credibility and see what they say.

So here's ANOTHER one for ya... cause i love ya (legit I do)

30th Anniversary Remasters ARE coming.
Will be announced VERY soon.
Z first (presumably)
4:3
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
Have you seen snippets of these? Are Toei up to their censoring bullshit again? At least I'll have the DBoxes soon but it sounds like these are worth a purchase either way.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 pm

I don't know about the censorship issue but I PRESUME they won't be because of the flack they got from the movie versions.

Btw, they announced it today.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 5703100417

At this point, what more will it take for people to stop doubting me.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Spencer_23 wrote:

He’s hit or miss at best. I remember him STRONGLY claiming Broly would never be a thing lol
Yeah, me and about 10,000 other people about 3 years ago. What a joke of a reach.

Hit or miss?

Some of ya'll legit sound like clowns when you say this, no offense. I've broken more stories in the past 3 years than anybody and if you don't believe me, ask some of the mods on this very board. Ask Ajay, Herms, Redux, Terez. Some of YOUR people about my credibility and see what they say.

Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
Have you seen snippets of these? Are Toei up to their censoring bullshit again? At least I'll have the DBoxes soon but it sounds like these are worth a purchase either way.
I saw the Bardock Special and it was not censored

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:56 pm

will it have Bruce Faulconer?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:I don't know about the censorship issue but I PRESUME they won't be because of the flack they got from the movie versions.

Btw, they announced it today.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 5703100417

At this point, what more will it take for people to stop doubting me.
You know I don't even regret paying a grand for the DBoxes (I know, I know), they need 2,500 people interested (probably going to happen) and even then, I'm still wary of the censorship. If Toei ever retracted it and made proper movies, then awesome. Either way, looks like I may have two ultimate versions of DBZ soon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

Hit or miss?

Z first (presumably)
Audio is also stellar
WILL be localized
As far as I remember that special has no middle fingers. Someone pointed out this set could be the season sets in a new package... And that the bardock special was done for theatrical screenings only?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:24 pm

OH MY GOD 4:3 I'm GONNA FUKKIN DIE AOEJFSOFJOSEJF

ok I'm calm now.

Holy fudgesicles this is great news.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:56 pm

sangofe wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: Have you seen snippets of these? Are Toei up to their censoring bullshit again? At least I'll have the DBoxes soon but it sounds like these are worth a purchase either way.
As far as I remember that special has no middle fingers. Someone pointed out this set could be the season sets in a new package... And that the bardock special was done for theatrical screenings only?
Its 4:3. The Season sets are 16:9.

THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

Do you know if it's a complete rescan from toei? Or perhaps level sets scans or uncropped but still dnr'd season sets (as we saw in one of the special features *the shot of goku fighting frieza on an exploding namek) i dont have the set so I cant grab that shot

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Do you know if it's a complete rescan from toei? Or perhaps level sets scans or uncropped but still dnr'd season sets (as we saw in one of the special features *the shot of goku fighting frieza on an exploding namek) i dont have the set so I cant grab that shot
I'm unfamiliar with which shot you are referring to specifically.

All I know is its not the same. I don't have every detail (sadly).

But hey, if its censored or crappy, I won't buy it and i'm sure most of you wouldnt either.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with which shot you are referring to specifically.

All I know is its not the same. I don't have every detail (sadly).

But hey, if its censored or crappy, I won't buy it and i'm sure most of you wouldnt either.
I mean it depends on the censoring I guess, if it's light then depending on price I may pick it up just because it's on Blu-Ray in 4:3, but I would still love and cherish my DBoxes as the ultimate release.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

I apologize for calling you “hit & miss” earlier. That’s not an accurate description of your info and I was a bit stuck on the Broly thing. :thumbup: Great scoop on this.

Side note while you are here - I’d love a newer video about the end of Z and what paths they may take. I know you’ve touched on this a while back but with Super surely returning relatively soon and the Broly addition it’s got new issues. I’ve noticed a lot of discussion about this has picked up over on the DBZ subreddit so may be a decent time for a new vid. Just a thought. Thanks.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:57 pm

This random YTer doesn't seem to have any inside info whatsoever.

You know what this DBZ CE resembles exactly? Funi's Bebop Anniversary sets. Which reused the exact same inferior discs their original Blu-ray sets used (nonsensically DNR'd then regrained, and various sound issues).

There doesn't appear to be an archived version of the Bebop page prior to when the funding period went live (here's a capture after it went live: https://web.archive.org/web/20180506013 ... bebop20th/), but it looked just like DBZ's does now. A line about new bonus content, which in the end ended up being a single extra disc in addition to the previous discs, featuring that 2 hour dub retrospective or whatever. A couple lines about premium packaging and the vinyl/bonus figures/etc.

There was even the same section in the FAQ where they explain why they aren't using KickStarter. Here's DBZ's:
WHY ARE YOU HOSTING THIS HERE INSTEAD OF ON A PLATFORM LIKE KICKSTARTER?
The short answer? We aren’t looking to crowdfund this set. We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector’s edition which may be cool but isn’t quite the same as new content. We love and support (and back!) lots of projects for new anime, new dubs, or new forays into the North American market, though!
Sounds exactly like what they did with Bebop, not providing anything genuinely new and simply focusing on a premium physical Collector's Edition release for the whales to jump at. A new 4:3 remaster, or using a potential Toei one, would certainly qualify as "new" content, IMO. Additionally, Funi only produced and sold as many sets as they got funded and then that was that, they never produced any more of that particular CE. You think Funi is going to remaster DBZ, or even moreso pay Toei exorbitant sums for their own potential upcoming remaster, and then not milk it via a general wide release? Let alone the suggestion that they won't license a Toei remaster if they don't get 2,500 pledges? Or that after years and years of Japan mandating exclusivity periods and locked subs, they're going to allow Funi to release a Toei-produced remaster at the same time as them? Mmmk. Did Toei even mention anything about this in Japan? Not even getting into that Funi is marketing this thing already, and the Bebop set was shipped in less than 6 months. It'd take a helluva lot longer for either Funi or Toei to remaster DBZ for Blu-ray... Years, and there's no way Funi would announce a complete set with a month or whatever long locked-in funding period so far in advance.

Funi charged $250 for the cheapest Bebop Anniversary option (26 episodes), with $350 and $550 options that never got fully funded for fancier swag. The $550 set featured a figure. Add 265 episodes on top (over 11 times more episodes than Bebop's) and you can theorize what sort of prices you'll be paying for this Funi DBZ Anniversary CE. And again, that was with Funi reusing their old Bebop discs.

The whole 4/3 Funi/Toei theorizing is cute, and yeah it's pretty prominently displayed in their marketing, but logistically, everything so far points to Funi following their Bebop Anniversary outline and making some easy money off existing masters and DBZ whales. We'd all love remastered, proper DBZ, but obviously in all likelihood Japan will be the first to get it, at absurd prices, and we'll get it further down the line. This looks like a Funi cash grab attempt to make some dough on existing product before they get to charge for remastered DBZ all over again at least a couple years from now at the earliest. The only way I could see us getting 4:3 on BD anytime soon is if Funi DNR'd their existing masters prior to cropping the footage (though I seem to recall them doing it after, but I clearly don't pay a ton of attention to DBZ specifically) and can simply reframe (or deframe) the show for us, or if they put it through the same lazy automated pass they can easily crank out that they did with the DVD season sets and prior BDs.

If I'm wrong, fantastic, and we finally get 4:3 DBZ on BD (at a predictably steep price). But I sure as hell won't be holding my breath.
Last edited by Spoofer on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I'm disappointed they're releasing Dragon Ball Z first. Again. We never got a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release, so North America has yet to receive a proper release of Dragon Ball which features all of the opening and closing sequences, nor next episode previews.

FUNimation defaults everything DBZ-related to dub popularity here. Even if they use amazingly restored 4:3 footage, as a Japanese-only viewer, I'd be worried about dub episode titles ruining the experience. People will be more concerned about whether the set will feature Faulconer music, while I just want to know if the subtitles will be clean, and if maybe we can miraculously somehow get the broadcast audio that's been floating around.

Someone on Twitter mentioned that the duel news posts from Toei and FUNimation featured a 4-Star Dragon Ball and a 3-Star Dragon Ball, which may be their way of hinting that the release will be 4:3.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Spoofer wrote:This random YTer doesn't seem to have any inside info whatsoever.
lol.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm

G1Ravage wrote:I'm disappointed they're releasing Dragon Ball Z first. Again. We never got a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release, so North America has yet to receive a proper release of Dragon Ball which features all of the opening and closing sequences, nor next episode previews.

FUNimation defaults everything DBZ-related to dub popularity here. Even if they use amazingly restored 4:3 footage, as a Japanese-only viewer, I'd be worried about dub episode titles ruining the experience. People will be more concerned about whether the set will feature Faulconer music, while I just want to know if the subtitles will be clean, and if maybe we can miraculously somehow get the broadcast audio that's been floating around.

Someone on Twitter mentioned that the duel news posts from Toei and FUNimation featured a 4-Star Dragon Ball and a 3-Star Dragon Ball, which may be their way of hinting that the release will be 4:3.
It is 4:3.

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
G1Ravage wrote:I'm disappointed they're releasing Dragon Ball Z first. Again. We never got a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release, so North America has yet to receive a proper release of Dragon Ball which features all of the opening and closing sequences, nor next episode previews.

It is 4:3.
As I said Geekdom is typically right! Thank you man for all you do for the DBZ family :)