Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spoofer

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Spoofer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:03 pm

If they actually cared about getting a 4:3 remastered (and non-DNR'd) Blu-ray to purists, and if that's actually what they're trying to do, they likely would have simply done so without coupling it with a prestige physical collector's edition to begin with (or offered both options up front, as they do with their typical releases). Again, that's part of the reason why I think a remaster atm is less likely. But if that's indeed what they're doing, they know they're holding the version of DBZ that the purists want for ransom behind this undoubtedly expensive prestige set (assuming they're aiming to charge as much for the hardcover book and figure as they were aiming for with Bebop). Even if they make it so the prestige set comes first, and then after a suitable amount of time they offer more reasonably-priced barebones alternatives, they'd have to know it would still upset a lot of purist fans for being tempted to pay more than they were willing to make sure to get a copy, rather than face an uncertain future of cheaper sets that may or may not come.

I get that Funi overestimated the profitability of the Level sets, though they kind of dug their own grave on that one with the DBZ market fatigue they had going on during that period. And if they are indeed gauging interest in recouping their investment beforehand for a 2nd attempt, that might make sense. But a KickStarter for it would have made even more sense, and let's be honest, probably would have made even more money, followed by a general release down the road, rather than locking the product to 2,500ish purchases (plus pre-orders over the projected minimum) from a single month in 2019. The way they're handling it seems 100% in line with what they did with Bebop, where the focus was entirely on a physical prestige set utilizing existing Blu-ray product.
Last edited by Spoofer on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:As much as I understand production costs and all that, I have to think FUNimation isn't stupid enough to think people would pay more than $500 for this, right?

...right?
There are entire Facebook groups filled with people that pay more than that just for unofficial resin statues, and this comes with, gasp, a figure! I'm excited to see what the set's like, but based on that criteria alone I do have my concerns about Funimation possibly trying to gouge fans.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Spoofer wrote:If they actually cared about getting a 4:3 remastered (and non-DNR'd) Blu-ray to purists, and if that's actually what they're trying to do, they likely would have simply done so without coupling it with a prestige physical collector's edition to begin with (or offered both options up front, as they do with their typical releases).
The fact that they're 4:3 to me says otherwise. Unless they reverted back to the process used for the Level sets, or have imported Toei's own (as yet unconfirmed) remaster of the show for HD, 4:3 suggests they're not simply taking the Blu-Brick footage and hitting Ctrl+Z on the crop.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Right now it's a theory, not a fact.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Spoofer wrote:Right now it's a theory, not a fact.
Likewise!

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Exactly, lol.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:26 pm

sumpter360 wrote:Clearly FUNimation doesn't want a repeat of the Level Sets where people didn't buy enough, leading to their cancellation. If it is a remaster similar to the Level Sets (I'd be happy enough with that especially if it includes the Broadcast Audio) I would think the price might be similar to that of the overall price of the Level Sets, had they been completed.

Anybody know how many sets that would've been? And each set cost what, like $25 or so? Trying to estimate what FUNi will be charging for this...
Looking at the back of my sets, they planned out for 18 in total with around 15-17 episodes per set. The price, I think, was around $30-$35 per set, which is why they failed. Too little episodes compared to the orange bricks for too much money as a result of the amount of cash put into the remastering, which was an extensive process. Shame because, had they waited a few more years to rectify the mistakes with the orange bricks, I feel these would've done better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 am

I think the highest that I will pay for is $150 or maybe $200. No more than that.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think the highest that I will pay for is $150 or maybe $200. No more than that.
But what if I threw in a statue you didn't ask for and charged twice as much?

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:02 am

It's going to be between $300 and $400. Most triple-A video game Collector's Editions are $300 and those also come with cool printed artwork, toys and other goodies. The price of the DBZ Season 1-9 Blu-Ray collection was $175 at full price so I can see them going for double on the 30th anniversary collection if it's expensive to produce. That would put it at $350. I sincerely feel that if they go any higher than that, they would risk pricing people out of buying it. I think they'll still get 2500 reservations easily, but if they could be fair with the price and offer it at like $299.99 then they'd get far more than 2500.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 am

FUNi using the faulty "modernization" logic of their cropping and scrubbing to turn aspect ratios into a a collector's item again? :thumbdown: Not that we need any more proof of that after the Blu-Ray seasons. It will be interesting to see what the full package looks like, it sounds like something that harkens back to the original Dragon Boxes.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I think the highest that I will pay for is $150 or maybe $200. No more than that.
But what if I threw in a statue you didn't ask for and charged twice as much?
Yes that sort of thing is really such a rip off I mean usually the sort of thing included with these sort of limited edition things are cheap things that cost like a dollar to make and they still add like a hundred bucks or more to the price. As if DBZ figures and other merch are in anyway scarce or something. People haven't been waiting this long for a capsule toy.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:05 am

Kuwabara wrote:Exciting news! I'll be sure to lock in my preorder when they're opened up.

Somebody already mentioned the 4:3 Dragon Balls, but check out these fonts:

I have a really good feeling about this!
Where is that capture from?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:48 am

sangofe wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:Exciting news! I'll be sure to lock in my preorder when they're opened up.

Somebody already mentioned the 4:3 Dragon Balls, but check out these fonts:

I have a really good feeling about this!
Where is that capture from?
Looks like that screencap is from the trailers for the level sets.

Edit: Found it. https://youtu.be/U1g2BmE36RM?t=2m5s
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:08 am

I hope this is available outside of Funimations own website, as it's blocked for those outside the US :(

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:22 am

LordCrumb wrote:I hope this is available outside of Funimations own website, as it's blocked for those outside the US :(
Agreed, web region-locking SUCKS.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 am

KBABZ wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:I hope this is available outside of Funimations own website, as it's blocked for those outside the US :(
Agreed, web region-locking SUCKS.
Thankfully there are multiple vpn's.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:38 am

I just used a free VPN to view it. If this thing ends up not being worthless I'll just have mine shipped over here by proxy service.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:44 am

I'll gladly sell off my Dragon Boxes if these turn out to be any good.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:55 am

If they're the same as the level sets i will gladly buy them.

I hope they don't make it Region 1 only so people from Europe can also buy it.
My English is poor .