Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I'll gladly sell off my Dragon Boxes if these turn out to be any good.
I'd gladly buy the first 4 off you if you do.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:34 pm

OutRun2 wrote:Can I ask you guys a question? Assuming I'd want to buy a hard drive to rip these discs, how many Terabytes of data do you suspect would be needed to rip all the discs contained in a Bluray boxset for a TV show of this magnitude? 2? 6? 10?
I'd imagine a comparable amount to the Blu-Bricks.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm holding on to my dboxes for now. This whole thing looks way messier than it needs to be. Pledges? Pay walls? Physical extras like figurines to drive up the price? A limited run instead of a regular one? No guarantee on 4x3? Yikes. :wtf:

Good luck to those who hope it'll all work out. Broadcast audio is cool and all, but right now this project looks like a potential headache.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm

OutRun2 wrote:Can I ask you guys a question? Assuming I'd want to buy a hard drive to rip these discs, how many Terabytes of data do you suspect would be needed to rip all the discs contained in a Bluray boxset for a TV show of this magnitude? 2? 6? 10?
I've ripped the current Blu rays onto my computer with MakeMKV and all up it's 989gb.

I'd get 2tb just to be safe. You could then add DB and GT if you wanted

Altogether my dragon ball rips add up to 2.05tb, that's with every release I could find (not including orange brick DVD, remastered DB, kai final chapters or super) using makeMKV. So 2tb hard drive will be more than enough unless you're gonna get every single release

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 pm

KBABZ wrote:Anyone got ideas for special features they might include? I'm assuming the Bardock and Trunks specials would fall into that, perhaps, but what else could they provide?
99% chance it's interviews with the dub cast.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm holding on to my dboxes for now. This whole thing looks way messier than it needs to be. Pledges? Pay walls? Physical extras like figurines to drive up the price? A limited run instead of a regular one? No guarantee on 4x3? Yikes. :wtf:

Good luck to those who hope it'll all work out. Broadcast audio is cool and all, but right now this project looks like a potential headache.
Like I said I just bought all seven recently for a grand (because like an idiot I sold 1-6 years ago since I thought I was never going to get #7 and I needed the money at the time), and I’m not even mad at this announcement. I agree, it looks like a mess. If it works out, awesome, can’t wait to buy it and have both. If not, at least I finally have a complete set of the Dragon Boxes.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:44 pm

The Figurine seems unnecessary honestly (atleast for me) , they’re putting it in just to increase the price even more.

Now i’m thinking about skipping this release.

I was more excited when i thought they were going to remaster Dragon Ball and the movies (release them).

I like Dragon Ball Z but Dragon Ball is my favourite series by far.

And i wouldn’t pay 500$ + for this release.

If it cost around 200-300$ i might buy it.
My English is poor .

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:The Figurine seems unnecessary honestly (atleast for me) , they’re putting it in just to increase the price even more.

Now i’m thinking about skipping this release.

I was more excited when i thought they were going to remaster Dragon Ball and the movies (release them).

I like Dragon Ball Z but Dragon Ball is my favourite series by far.

And i wouldn’t pay 500$ + for this release.

If it cost around 200-300$ i might buy it.
Agreed, the figure is just unnecessary. I’m willing to bet that was at the insistence of FUNimation so they could raise the price stateside.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Kinokima wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Kinokima wrote:There is no way all this hoopla is going to be releasing the Blu-ray’s we already have in a fancy box with just a figure and an artbook.
Oh? You mean like exactly what they did for Cowboy Bebop's 20th Anniversary set?
No one would rebuy the BRs in just a box with an artbook and figure. Or extremely few people.

Hell there is already a release in a box without a figure an and an artbook. So you expect people to pay all this money for just a figure and artbook? Very few people would do that. Funimation isn’t stupid.

Also I believe that was the first release of Cowboy Bebop for Funi and Cowboy Bebop was released on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio.

And also the Cowboy Bebop CE came with way more stuff that what Funi is saying this DB Set will come with.
Yeah. FUNi's made as much money as they're ever going to with those terrible demastered BRs. It's been 5 years since those came out, anyone who wanted a slightly better version of the shitty Orange Bricks on BR has them already. FUNi knows that if they just repackage those, 1. there's no point in anyone getting them because the people who didn't mind their awful masters have them already (this is why the level BRs failed) & 2. the people who refused to buy those terrible BRs won't buy them if it's shown that they're just repackaging those into a new case. They'll play this smart. They wouldn't just screw over the section of the fanbase that just want a good, watchable remaster of the series AGAIN. Which is why this is gonna be a limited edition thing, at least for now. I'm hoping they'll do different tiers like Bebop to make sure anyone who wants the episodes can buy them in affordable packaging. Like, I'd rather just have the episodes. Sure, an art book is nice & a figure is meh, but if the episodes aren't in a quality-preserved format, then there's no point. FUNi are self aware of this a bit, otherwise the Dragon Boxes & Levels wouldn't have come out, but they prioritize making money, after not spending a lot, from stupid people over actually preserving quality for the future a lot of the time with Z. I'm confident they'll get it right this time. They got it right with Kai's dub before, so hopefully they'll finally get the remastering of Z right.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Let me just say it’s amazing how much Dragon Ball Fans Bitch and complain. By all indications this is going to be like the Japanese Dragon Boxes were for Japan. You would think the fan base would be grateful for Funimation and Toei joining together in a partnership to produce a truly special release but all I see is bitching and complaining. :(. Please just wait until the details are released then you can decide to be upset at the price pass on it and kick yourself later like those who passed on the US Dragon Boxes did. The choice will be up to you but they are following the exact model of the Japanese Dragon Boxes:
Limited Edition Reservation Release
Special Figure
Dragonbook Equivalent

Who knows what else I am excited :D

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

should i sell the other blu-rays if this is better?

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Godgoku95 wrote:should i sell the other blu-rays if this is better?
I would but I’m a collector as well so I will keep them

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
i'm a collector i will keep mine too then

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:45 pm

The orange bricks are the only thing Dragon Ball I ever sold but they were such an atrocity that I couldn’t justify keeping them. The blue bricks are not much better but it’s the only option for Dragonball right now. If this release does well I suspect that will change. :D

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:59 pm

What are the odds FUNi gets enough pre-orders to release this, then within a year from release, they do a "Standard" release of the series, maybe in season sets, without the collector's packaging and figurine? Seems pretty likely IMO
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:06 pm

sumpter360 wrote:What are the odds FUNi gets enough pre-orders to release this, then within a year from release, they do a "Standard" release of the series, maybe in season sets, without the collector's packaging and figurine? Seems pretty likely IMO
I doubt it much more likely they do a set like this for Dragonball and the movies if this does well. :wink:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:11 pm

i am curious to know how much signs did they got since yesterday

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Let me just say it’s amazing how much Dragon Ball Fans Bitch and complain. By all indications this is going to be like the Japanese Dragon Boxes were for Japan. You would think the fan base would be grateful for Funimation and Toei joining together in a partnership to produce a truly special release but all I see is bitching and complaining. :(. Please just wait until the details are released then you can decide to be upset at the price pass on it and kick yourself later like those who passed on the US Dragon Boxes did. The choice will be up to you but they are following the exact model of the Japanese Dragon Boxes:
Limited Edition Reservation Release
Special Figure
Dragonbook Equivalent

Who knows what else I am excited :D
Ok put it this way, imagine for the last 10 years you ask for a certain release. Then every single time they release something it's not what you wanted. So each time we say "nope, don't like this, let's hope for next time" "nope don't like this, let's hope they do it next time." "Fuck me how many times can they not give us what we want, let's wait for next time"

And now we are saying "finally! Another chance to get the release we actually want, let's hope they don't fuck this up again and come up with their own random shit like they did all the other times!"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:51 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Same, I own the season Blu-Rays and I plan to keep them for the extras, and the front and back cover art (which I love) even if this new set turns out to be worth my hard earned cash. I sold my orange bricks though as I couldn't see any reason to still use them.
sumpter360 wrote:What are the odds FUNi gets enough pre-orders to release this, then within a year from release, they do a "Standard" release of the series, maybe in season sets, without the collector's packaging and figurine? Seems pretty likely IMO
Very wishful thinking. It would be a great thing to happen, but I wouldn't count on it since this release will more than likely default to the sub track and the season sets will be kept in circulation to ensure the dub is main stage on the home market. That said if enough people demand Manga UK license this new release from Funimation maybe that could become the budget version. They haven't released DBZ on Blu-Ray yet but if this set turns out to be a good remaster perhaps they could be persuaded that this is the best HD DBZ transfer to go for.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm

I mean, that's the Shout! Factory method of releasing things, so it'd make sense if they did.