Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ect5150 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:Anyone got ideas for special features they might include? I'm assuming the Bardock and Trunks specials would fall into that, perhaps, but what else could they provide?
Did the mini-movie with Vegeta's brother showing up ever get put into English? Also, what about the 2nd Bardock special (where he turned Super Saiyan)? Also, what about the lost movie "Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans" ?? This was an OAV or a video game or something. I'm fairly certain it was in the Japanese release of the DragonBox (not sure about the US release). All could potentially be brought over. Just thinking aloud.

Also, where are you guys getting that it'll be a 4:3 release? Just the Geekdom guy? I've seen nothing official.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:What are the odds FUNi gets enough pre-orders to release this, then within a year from release, they do a "Standard" release of the series, maybe in season sets, without the collector's packaging and figurine? Seems pretty likely IMO
I mean, that's the Shout! Factory method of releasing things, so it'd make sense if they did.
The only worry in most people's minds might be this--- when they released the US DragonBox, they did say it was a limited release. Regardless of potential demand, they never seemed to make more (which lead to the high prices we saw). That has the potential to happen again. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:33 pm

ect5150 wrote:Did the mini-movie with Vegeta's brother showing up ever get put into English? Also, what about the 2nd Bardock special (where he turned Super Saiyan)? Also, what about the lost movie "Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans" ?? This was an OAV or a video game or something. I'm fairly certain it was in the Japanese release of the DragonBox (not sure about the US release). All could potentially be brought over. Just thinking aloud.

Also, where are you guys getting that it'll be a 4:3 release? Just the Geekdom guy? I've seen nothing official.
The inference that it will be in 4:3 comes from the Dragon Balls in the original tweet. Nothing has been confirmed, but it is highly likely. Otherwise, it probably means 4+3=7 Dragon Balls.
jaisonas wrote:Yikes, though they somewhat teased that it will be 4:3

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: You would think the fan base would be grateful for Funimation and Toei joining together in a partnership to produce a truly special release but all I see is bitching and complaining.
The problem is them making the only good release Limited at a higher price.

If they announced a stander edition that is available at all times and at a fair price no one will complain.
My English is poor .

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:39 pm

I would like to see a comprehensive documentary about the history of dbz in thr us

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Assuming this is going to be the definitive English HD release of Dragon Ball Z, it sucks they're limiting it to such a low quantity. The only DBZ releases by FUNimation which are in stock and avail for purchase are pretty much garbage no one should spend money on.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and maybe, I'll pre-order if it's worth it. Not getting my hopes up for it to feature the Saban Dub + Westwood Dub as these dubs were heavy on censorship and an "uncut" version would ruin it, you'd end up getting more of the audio track used on the parts missing than the Saban/Westwood.

European anime distributors use the Japanese audio with subs for scenes missing but on their versions their dubs are nearly uncut, so the censored scenes are a few seconds here and there.

Expect this to be sold out pretty quickly and then scalped the fuck out.
eledoremassis02 wrote:I would like to see a comprehensive documentary about the history of dbz in thr us
You mean, a comprehensive essay about every English dub made in North America (US/CA) or just FUNi? If that, they already sorta made, and for the Ocean Dub, too.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Expect this to be sold out pretty quickly and then scalped the fuck out.
Yep.

Hopefully if the release is any good, they'll see sense and put out a cheaper version in volumes later on.
And then if MangaUK import that, I can actually get ahold of the damn thing. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I would like to see a comprehensive documentary about the history of dbz in thr us
Soooo... Fukunaga throwing a Pioneer logo in a dumpster, setting it on fire, then Sabat, Rial and Clinkenbeard putting it out ten minutes later?
ect5150 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Anyone got ideas for special features they might include? I'm assuming the Bardock and Trunks specials would fall into that, perhaps, but what else could they provide?
Did the mini-movie with Vegeta's brother showing up ever get put into English? Also, what about the 2nd Bardock special (where he turned Super Saiyan)? Also, what about the lost movie "Plan to Eradicate The Saiyans" ?? This was an OAV or a video game or something. I'm fairly certain it was in the Japanese release of the DragonBox (not sure about the US release). All could potentially be brought over. Just thinking aloud.
Any of those would be fantastic inclusions!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote: And then if MangaUK import that, I can actually get ahold of the damn thing. :lol:
You've got better probability with Madman doing it primarily, and then Manga UK. Manga UK collector's edition releases are rather disappointingly light.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm

I don’t think they are limiting it to 2500 just the minimum number to have it produced they will make as many as people sign up for now. It does mean that those that pass on this will have to pay astronomical prices but that will be their choice :wink:

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm

They're gonna do a standard edition a year or two down the road. Guaranteed. The cost involved is way too much to settle for a limited set. Being the money hungry plebs they are, they'll justify it somehow.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:03 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
You mean, a comprehensive essay about every English dub made in North America (US/CA) or just FUNi? If that, they already sorta made, and for the Ocean Dub, too.
They did? (I dont have a bluray) it'd be cool to see a clip of the harmony gold dub a behind the scenes ocean/funi stuff and promos and tv spots anf allthat

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 pm

ect5150 wrote:

The OVAs are most likely not. They've never been dubbed & Episode of Bardock was only released over here as a part of DBZ for Kinect as a marketing tool.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Scsigs wrote:The OVAs are most likely not. They've never been dubbed & Episode of Bardock was only released over here as a part of DBZ for Kinect as a marketing tool.
If this is a collector's box that is also coming out in Japan that would already have them included, then I can see Funi dubbing them at long last.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
They did? (I dont have a bluray) it'd be cool to see a clip of the harmony gold dub a behind the scenes ocean/funi stuff and promos and tv spots anf allthat
I meant for the FUNi and Ocean Dub. We got the RtD boxset with a book about the dub.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 pm

bigray wrote:
OutRun2 wrote:Can I ask you guys a question? Assuming I'd want to buy a hard drive to rip these discs, how many Terabytes of data do you suspect would be needed to rip all the discs contained in a Bluray boxset for a TV show of this magnitude? 2? 6? 10?
I've ripped the current Blu rays onto my computer with MakeMKV and all up it's 989gb.

I'd get 2tb just to be safe. You could then add DB and GT if you wanted

Altogether my dragon ball rips add up to 2.05tb, that's with every release I could find (not including orange brick DVD, remastered DB, kai final chapters or super) using makeMKV. So 2tb hard drive will be more than enough unless you're gonna get every single release
Thanks BigRay, very helpful. I've got a 2tb ready so I'm good 8)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
I meant for the FUNi and Ocean Dub. We got the RtD boxset with a book about the dub.
Forgot about the book! Lol since it's a anniversary for Z i hope somthing ocean is covered

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Is the 30th anniversary release just the English dub or the Japanese as well? Because everybody here only seems to be talking of the dub. They are not really serious about wasting a 30th anniversary release just to only please the American fanbase, are they?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Jaetinh wrote:Is the 30th anniversary release just the English dub or the Japanese as well? Because everybody here only seems to be talking of the dub. They are not really serious about wasting a 30th anniversary release just to only please the American fanbase, are they?
I'm sure it's going to be both, they haven't had a dub only release as the only option since back in 1999 or 2000 before the bilingual DVDs started coming out.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:46 pm

What's up with FUNi's site? Is anyone else not able to get on it?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs