Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 am

I have to imagine this will have some pretty neat special features too. Perhaps go the Dragon Box route with all of the old promos from 96-03?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:44 pmAnd i wouldn’t pay 500$ + for this release.

If it cost around 200-300$ i might buy it.
$200? That's less than a (U.S.) dollar an episode. That's budget-release pricing. Hell, even a dollar an episode would be budget-release pricing. You should honestly be crossing your fingers for it to be ONLY $600. That would be fantastic, actually. That's about the original retail price of the North American Dragon Box Z sets collectively. Or the Levels sets collectively. However, this is a FUNi AND Toei release... Japan and North America are both Region A, and Japanese home-video releases are very pricey. Here it's "sell cheap, but sell a lot", but in Japan it's "sell only a few, but make it pricey". ...Toei sold the Dragon Box Z sets collectively for $1,700, so cross those fingers tite.

professorwho wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm They're gonna do a standard edition a year or two down the road. Guaranteed. The cost involved is way too much to settle for a limited set. Being the money hungry plebs they are, they'll justify it somehow.
I would point to the Dragon Box Z sets and argue against that, but this time, Toei is making it WITH Funimation, rite? So it probably wouldn't be some-thing that FUNi has to license...? It really wouldn't make any sense to take some-thing that could continue to make you money and just throw it into the proverbial vault.

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pmIf this is a collector's box that is also coming out in Japan that would already have them included, then I can see Funi dubbing them at long last.
But I don't know if Toei even owns the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA. That mite be Bandai's. And Shueisha, I believe, made the Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! movie completely without any involvement from Toei.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 pmI'm sure it's going to be both, they haven't had a dub only release as the only option since back in 1999 or 2000 before the bilingual DVDs started coming out.
The VHS tapes continued to be released till 2003. In either English-only or Japanese-only.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:38 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 am
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pmIf this is a collector's box that is also coming out in Japan that would already have them included, then I can see Funi dubbing them at long last.
But I don't know if Toei even owns the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA. That mite be Bandai's. And Shueisha, I believe, made the Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! movie completely without any involvement from Toei.
The 30th Anniversary would be a great reason to sort out those legalities for an awesome boxset!

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am

Is there a possibilty to buy this if you are living outside US? (Netherlands)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 am

bernhard90 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am Is there a possibilty to buy this if you are living outside US? (Netherlands)
Depends on how they plan to sell/distribute them.

You'd probably would need either a region-free or US BD player though.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 am

I can't use the Funimation website.. Not avaiable in your region is says.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am

I have a feeling that this set will be $500, just seems like the bare minimum for it to be a profitable venture. 2,500 x 500 = 1,250,000

That's an easy $1m in their pockets and another $250k bubble to cover design, manufacturing, shipping, customer mishaps etc. Any purchases beyond 2,500 are a bonus.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:55 am

Just a rough estimation here. The current widescreen BluRay sets have a retail price of $44.98 (note, this is not a sale price... just the MSRP I guess). At 7 sets of those, you would be out $315 roughly. With the book and the figure and hopefully new restoration, I think that would push it to $500 at a minimum. It may very well be $600 or $700 all things depending.

I think anyone expecting less than $300 is probably going to be in for some sticker shock. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 am

I'm thinking $500. $250 for BD, then the art book and Figurine a further $250.
Any higher, and I'm not sure I want to go there, $600 and upwards of that figure, then we're just getting into silly money.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:50 am

Kuwabara wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am I have a feeling that this set will be $500, just seems like the bare minimum for it to be a profitable venture. 2,500 x 500 = 1,250,000

That's an easy $1m in their pockets and another $250k bubble to cover design, manufacturing, shipping, customer mishaps etc. Any purchases beyond 2,500 are a bonus.
I couldn’t agree more and when you think about that it’s really not that much for a venture like this. I hope this blows away expectations and 5000 people get it 😁. Then we could probably expect a similar treatment for Dragonball probably at half the cost 😃

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm

I would never sink a lot of money into a Funimation product because of the inconsistent quality of Blu-ray mastering. Best to wait for screenshots first. I'll buy the standard edition if the Blu-ray mastering isn't riddled with compression artifacts or other weird shenanigans (e.g. dnr+fake film grain in Cowboy Bebop).
bernhard90 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am Is there a possibilty to buy this if you are living outside US? (Netherlands)
You'll have to use a proxy/vpn to access the website and have the set shipped to a forwarder. If something arrives broken, you're going to have a difficult time getting a replacement. Funimation doesn't provide customer service to overseas customers (I know because I tried getting the corrected discs for Code Geass).

Taking these factors into account, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:57 pm

I know I’m in the minority here but I’m not super interested with this if it’s not a new dub and stuff. I know it won’t be, I’m not stupid they are focused on Super and stuff now. But it’s hard for me to get excited about this having Kai as my main draw to watch the series now. It should be cool from a nostalgic standpoint though I guess with a proper release on the format. I’m curious to see how it turns out.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:48 pm

If it goes live on Amazon.com which it should, then you'll be able to pre-order it given it's not out of stock.
bernhard90 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 am I can't use the Funimation website.. Not avaiable in your region is says.
Use a VPN to bypass the region lock. Windscribe's great.
Kuwabara wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am I have a feeling that this set will be $500, just seems like the bare minimum for it to be a profitable venture. 2,500 x 500 = 1,250,000

I'm pondering buying one set but maybe I'll also try to snatch 2 extra to sell for much more on eBay. I know how much everyone despises scalpers and I do too, but.. people are willing to pay higher prices for it then so be it.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:48 pmI'm pondering buying one set but maybe I'll also try to snatch 2 extra to sell for much more on eBay. I know how much everyone despises scalpers and I do too, but.. people are willing to pay higher prices for it then so be it.
"I despise scalpers so much that I'm going to be a scalper"
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:06 pm

I’ve decided i’m going to pull the trigger and pre-order this no matter what. To be truly happy with it, I of course want it to be 4:3, and with better Japanese audio, plus the option for the Faulconer score. So the way I see it, I either get all of those things and have a new set that I’m truly happy with. Or it disappoints me, but I end up in a Rock the Dragon situation, where I can just sell it for a profit, due to it’s rarity. Either way, I win. I’ll always have the original Pioneer/FUNi singles and the blu-Bricks anyway.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm

The responses on Twitter to this announcement make me cringe so hard. It says “more details to come” and people respond with “new Super episodes?” or “Goku is coming to Smash?!” Then there’s the people who want to boycott FUNi over the Vic situation by not buying this. I need to stay off Twitter. :lol:
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 pm

At this point i am still waffling on whether to get it, what with having most but not all of the FUNi Dragon Boxes and all of makes taking the plunge on this set a great deal harder. That's especially given we don't yet know all of the specs like the audio, aspect ratio and so on.

I guess we'll see once there's more info, then i can make an informed decision.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pm

I understand but keep in mind even though the dragon boxes are amazing a 4:3 faithful release would end up being better due to the color issues on the Dragon Boxes. If Toei animation is doing the remastering process which I would say by all accounts they are this product is going to be stellar ;)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:36 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:48 pmI'm pondering buying one set but maybe I'll also try to snatch 2 extra to sell for much more on eBay. I know how much everyone despises scalpers and I do too, but.. people are willing to pay higher prices for it then so be it.
"I despise scalpers so much that I'm going to be a scalper"
It wouldn't be the first time I'd scalp something. Anyone who scalps a product is a greedy asshole and heck, I'm gonna be one of those.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:37 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pm I understand but keep in mind even though the dragon boxes are amazing a 4:3 faithful release would end up being better due to the color issues on the Dragon Boxes. If Toei animation is doing the remastering process which I would say by all accounts they are this product is going to be stellar ;)
True, if this indeed a 4:3 release and the apparent remaster by Toei ends up being what it appears then i will most likely buy it even with having the FUNi Dragon Boxes already.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)