Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm Watch, the 3 and 4 star balls will just mean April 3rd which is when the details go up for this brand new rerelease and/or new remaster of the show in glorious 16:9 THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN. $500!
Yeah watch them also throw out phrases like "OMG this is truly the ultimate and definitive edition of DBZ in super high definition widescreen format."

Like we haven't heard that one before *coughOrangeBrickscough*
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pmIf Toei animation is doing the remastering process which I would say by all accounts they are this product is going to be stellar ;)
Hard disagree on this outlook. Toei did the mastering for The Final Chapters, as opposed to Kai which was outsourced. I think we all know which one looks better.
Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pmSo, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.
Good thing they're only asking for signatures right now and not money!

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pmIf Toei animation is doing the remastering process which I would say by all accounts they are this product is going to be stellar ;)
Hard disagree on this outlook. Toei did the mastering for The Final Chapters, as opposed to Kai which was outsourced. I think we all know which one looks better.
Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pmSo, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.
Either way I'm not biting. I haven no reason to trust Funimation when it comes to DBZ.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 pm
Either way I'm not biting. I haven no reason to trust Funimation when it comes to DBZ.
Same here, considering how with a few exceptions i.e. the Dragon Boxes they have continually let the fans down and dropped the ball when it comes to delivering an as is release of DBZ that isn't DNR'd to hell and cropped to faux widescreen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pmEither way I'm not biting. I haven no reason to trust Funimation when it comes to DBZ.
Don't blame you there! I'm waiting to see what the footage actually LOOKS like as well, in addition to some other requirements. From the locked thread:
  • The picture quality is better than Kai, preferably around what the Level sets were (the threshold is lower for DB and GT)
  • The set contains Japanese audio (preferably Broadcast) and the dub with Japanese music.
  • 4:3, obviously.
  • It either isn't egregiously expensive, or comes in a cheaper edition without the statue and art book.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

It's sad that we all have to hope for a show's original aspect ratio to be listed as a "feature." This is how low the bar is when it comes to Dragon Ball home video releases in North America.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm It's sad that we all have to hope for a show's original aspect ratio to be listed as a "feature." This is how low the bar is when it comes to Dragon Ball home video releases in North America.
True that, and i am really glad i went for tracking down the Dragon Boxes because there was no way i was going to waste my money on their crap faux widescreen releases.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Never forget the Blu-ray poll where FUNimation asked 4:3 vs. 16:9, 4:3 won and FUNi basically told us to go fuck ourselves, we don’t know what we want, and gave us 16:9 again anyway. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm
Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm It's sad that we all have to hope for a show's original aspect ratio to be listed as a "feature." This is how low the bar is when it comes to Dragon Ball home video releases in North America.
True that, and i am really glad i went for tracking down the Dragon Boxes because there was no way i was going to waste my money on their crap faux widescreen releases.
I did the same several years back. I got lucky in terms of price but it was still expensive. But it was worth it. As a collector my standards are pretty high now because I only have so much space so I don't think I'll ever see a set that's better that the Dragon Boxes' because Funimation won't stop editing the show and taking liberties as if they made it themselves.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:06 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:49 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:24 pm
I did the same several years back. I got lucky in terms of price but it was still expensive. But it was worth it. As a collector my standards are pretty high now because I only have so much space so I don't think I'll ever see a set that's better that the Dragon Boxes' because Funimation won't stop editing the show and taking liberties as if they made it themselves.
Yeah, same case with me as well. I have been finding them for good deals of less than $100 on eBay, heck i was actually able to find a used copy of Dragon Box 1 for $20 at a DVD store at one of the local malls in my area a few years ago, and indeed they really knocked it out of the park with those given they acquired versions of Toei's proper 16mm masters which inherently looks much better than their own multi generation digibeta/film prints.

I definitely enjoy them as the definitive way to watch DBZ subbed in Japanese in the complete presentation with the best possible video quality, however for dub viewing i primarily go with Kai given it's an altogether more faithful and accurate production compared to the old Z dub.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm So, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.
So let me get this straight:

If they announce this is
4:3
With Japanese Broadcast Audio

Not suffering from the color issues of the Dragon Box you are going to pass :clap:

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm
Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm So, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.
So let me get this straight:

If they announce this is
4:3
With Japanese Broadcast Audio

Not suffering from the color issues of the Dragon Box you are going to pass :clap:
Yup. Funimation has enough of my money. Because even if it had all of that I'm not even remotely convinced that they won't needlessly edit the show the way they always have, except of course the Dragon Boxes, and/or lock the subs . They have pretty much no credibility at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 am

At this point, I'm probably never going to buy a Dragon Ball home release again unless it's a 4:3, high quality HD release without colour issues. And honestly, that sounds like such a demanding nitpicky list of requirements but it should be the default. That is the basic starting point for a bog standard BD release, and anything extra on top of that counts as a "feature". None of these things we want - except probably HD - are special features, they're just not-fucking-up.

Even then if it's only Z that gets a competent release, I'll still be disappointed, because in my eyes that's a release of episodes 154-444 of Dragon Ball, and incomplete.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:50 am

So, FUNi's website keeps crashing for me. Anyone else? What's going on here?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 am

Spoofer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:00 pm To be fair, 500 episodes of DBZ (or, like, however many it actually was =p) take place within 5 minutes on Namek, so you can argue Batman episodes (or episodes of anything, really), command more value in terms of actual content than much of DBZ's infamous filler and pacing. XD I imagine that's thankfully one of the reasons why DBZ initially cost well over $1,000 to fully own (well, as fully as possible) when they were first releasing the singles, but later on Funi acknowledged the show was no longer worth anywhere near that much as more and more anime flooded store shelves (along with recognizing they'd make more selling cheaper sets to more people who could afford it, which incidentally is the exact opposite of what they did with the Bebop CE, and given the month-long exclusivity and limited production of this set, seemingly with this one as well). 291 episodes of DBZ is certainly worth more than 26 or 52 episodes of other anime, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the price value to scale linearly.
The reason Funimation stopt selling DBZ for $25 per three-episode volume is for the same reason they stopt selling ALL their shows like that. It's nothing specific to DBZ. And I believe the reason was likely due to sales (or lack-there-of thanks to people downloading episodes illegally), and the then-recent trend for American shows to be released as season collections. Reducing the price from $7.14 per episode to $1.55 per episode helped make anime more affordable, and thus more mainstream (before streaming came and pusht it even further), so I'm very glad they did. It really changed the anime industry for the better.

By the way, the price of all the singels, adjusted for inflation from 2003, is...$2744.91. Imagine a $2,744.91 boxset. O_o And people were upset by Toei's price of $1,858.45. Psh. :lol:
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:25 am

Fizzer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:47 am At this point, I'm probably never going to buy a Dragon Ball home release again unless it's a 4:3, high quality HD release without colour issues. And honestly, that sounds like such a demanding nitpicky list of requirements but it should be the default. That is the basic starting point for a bog standard BD release, and anything extra on top of that counts as a "feature". None of these things we want - except probably HD - are special features, they're just not-fucking-up.

Even then if it's only Z that gets a competent release, I'll still be disappointed, because in my eyes that's a release of episodes 154-444 of Dragon Ball, and incomplete.
If you're early, then it's possible you'll be able to pre-order it but otherwise, expect it to see it going for double or triple the price on eBay and all those places. Most Western anime distributors sell Dragon Ball Z with its original intended AR, it's really just FUNimation that keeps on fucking it up with the 16x9 AR bullshit which they even said "the original intended aspect ratio" on the Orange Bricks trailer.

It's a shame that Madman has to rely on FUNimation and can't just do their own remasters of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am

Let’s just say this is the 4:3 set we have all wanted, is it possible this still never sees the light of day? There are so many dub fans disgusted with Funimation with the whole Kick Vic issue, then you got sub fans saying they won’t buy this no matter what, not to mention the fans that are saying anything over $300 is too much. I’m beginning to think this is never going to see the light of day. Knowing my luck it will be exactly what I have been hoping for and it won’t get the required people 😭.

This all seems like awful timing to be trying to do this release and I for one hope they release details soon. The longer this drags on the more likely it is to fail!!!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am Let’s just say this is the 4:3 set we have all wanted, is it possible this still never sees the light of day? There are so many dub fans disgusted with Funimation with the whole Kick Vic issue, then you got sub fans saying they won’t buy this no matter what, not to mention the fans that are saying anything over $300 is too much. I’m beginning to think this is never going to see the light of day. Knowing my luck it will be exactly what I have been hoping for and it won’t get the required people 😭.

This all seems like awful timing to be trying to do this release and I for one hope they release details soon. The longer this drags on the more likely it is to fail!!!
This is a remaster by TOEI and so it'll be 4x3 AR, the only Z content in 16x9 AR were the movies. Even Dragon Ball Kai was 4x3 AR on Blu-ray although the DVDs were in 16x9 AR. Kai in France was released all in 16x9 AR so no inconsistency going from 4x3 AR (Kai) to 16x9 AR (Kai TFC) but they were stuck with the replacement score from the start. :-/

The problem that stands is that this is yet another limited edition in English with the original aspect ratio so the majority won't be able to get their hands on it, and instead, they have to buy the crappy Season Blu-rays/DVDs if they want the Z series in some way, legally.

By the way, on the US Dragon Box Z, the FUNi dub used the original Japanese OP/ED songs so I'd expect that too on this release as well.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am Let’s just say this is the 4:3 set we have all wanted, is it possible this still never sees the light of day? There are so many dub fans disgusted with Funimation with the whole Kick Vic issue, then you got sub fans saying they won’t buy this no matter what, not to mention the fans that are saying anything over $300 is too much. I’m beginning to think this is never going to see the light of day. Knowing my luck it will be exactly what I have been hoping for and it won’t get the required people 😭.

If this really is the ultimate release (I'm having doubts) and it's killed by a bunch of whiny Twitter commenters and YouTube armchair lawyers, I would be unbelievably pissed off. At least I'll have my Dragon Boxes and there ARE people out there that have taken the Dragon Box footage and attached the broadcast audio on it with subs, so it exists, not ideally in an official release format but it's out there. If that's what this will be (again, really doubting it), I will be one of the first in line to buy it so long as it isn't $1,000.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm rewatching the level sets and thats my base, if it's (atleast) as good as these i'll be happy. Even if it doesn't include broadcast audio, that's ok too cause at worst we would have never gotten japanese audio (If Funi didnt fight for it way back for the uncut DVDs)