Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:Do you think they're doing that to drive people towards Super instead?
Maybe.

When it comes to Dragon Ball, the Japanese side's thought process has never made much sense if you actually know the culture of the western fandom, so I've pretty much given up on trying to understand their reasonings for this kind of nonsense.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
jrdemr wrote:If they didn't announce it today, then it's pretty much officially dead at this point.

They've had more than enough time to deliberate. If they didn't announce it this year, then they're not going to do it.
It's not dead yet, I don't think. I think Shueisha are probably just dragging their feet on licensing TBH.
Nah, pretty sure this is just too much for a mere case of "dragging their feet." I mean, my patience has limits and I kinda refuse to hold out hope only to be disappoint every single year.
Robo4900 wrote:
jrdemr wrote:Wonder if the translator's arrest had anything to do with the decision?...
Translation and such was done over 10 years ago; the only work to be done on Full Colour is to adjust the visuals, typeset, and put the speech in the bubbles. All the dialogue and such is already translated and ready to go.
They could just not want a convicted pedophile listed as the editor of their translation...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
jrdemr wrote:Wonder if the translator's arrest had anything to do with the decision?...
Translation and such was done over 10 years ago; the only work to be done on Full Colour is to adjust the visuals, typeset, and put the speech in the bubbles. All the dialogue and such is already translated and ready to go.
They could just not want a convicted pedophile listed as the editor of their translation...
Or they could not credit him at all and keep his work. If they were to replace him then we'd have gotten an announcement of a re-translation of at least the Saiyan Saga, but we didn't and they continue to sell his work under the 3-in-1s and ViZBigs (I mean it's been over a year since he was arrested on those charges so clearly they have no problem with continuing to sell his work).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am

Welp, that panel sucked.

I decided to bump this thread because I was wishful they would follow the trend an announce the next arc in Anime Expo. Seems like they didn't it. :evil:
First time I decided to buy something to Viz and they do this. There's still San Diego Comic-Con this month, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not seeing any reason to announce it there and not here, but who knows. This wait is ridiculous!

Back in March, they told me this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:45 am

Whose big idea was it to license them separately? I feel like that would be a Viz call. I'd imagine that when getting rights to something, there's no reason for the licensor to go, "You know, I'll only give you the rights to Season 1, then we'll negotiate." Seems a lot more plausible for the licensee to want to only get Season 1 just in case it tanks and then they don't want to have paid for five seasons of a failing property.

So I am curious whose call it was to license each arc separately. And if it was Viz... why? Did they not think that a proven commodity would sell? And even even so, what's the hold-up? Which side is holding up the process -- Shonen Jump (assuming they're the rights holders) looking to squeeze more out of Viz, or Viz trying to get a better deal? Or are they just not selling well enough to justify the cost?

So many fascinating questions that are probably a lot more fascinating than the reality of the situation.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Whose big idea was it to license them separately? I feel like that would be a Viz call. I'd imagine that when getting rights to something, there's no reason for the licensor to go, "You know, I'll only give you the rights to Season 1, then we'll negotiate." Seems a lot more plausible for the licensee to want to only get Season 1 just in case it tanks and then they don't want to have paid for five seasons of a failing property.

So I am curious whose call it was to license each arc separately. And if it was Viz... why? Did they not think that a proven commodity would sell? And even even so, what's the hold-up? Which side is holding up the process -- Shonen Jump (assuming they're the rights holders) looking to squeeze more out of Viz, or Viz trying to get a better deal? Or are they just not selling well enough to justify the cost?

So many fascinating questions that are probably a lot more fascinating than the reality of the situation.
It's almost certainly Shueisha. Full Colour has turned out very well for Viz, and the arcs were done very separately by Shueisha, with each arc resetting the numbering. It's almost certainly just Shueisha dragging their feet, wanting more time, wanting more money, deciding to put nonsensical restrictions on their licensing, etc. All the usual things that kept Funi from doing TFC until last year, Viz from doing the previous Full Colours until when they did, etc.
It's possible they have some kind of policy at Shueisha that they won't let Viz do anything further with Full Colour until the Yamcha manga is out, so the Yamcha manga can get the full spotlight for a while.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:02 pm

I know that they separated the arcs (well, the first 8 volumes of Dragon Ball up to Tenshinhan are all lumped together), but still. It's such a strange tactic. They are so good with a decently quick Super release, so I would think that the business transaction should be nice and smooth. Why is Dragon Ball owned by such stingy companies from all sides? Lol I will say, though, that it's disappointing that Dragon Ball hasn't been released in full color by Viz, but there's a lot more to censor and I'm sure it's harder with color.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:20 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I know that they separated the arcs (well, the first 8 volumes of Dragon Ball up to Tenshinhan are all lumped together), but still. It's such a strange tactic. They are so good with a decently quick Super release, so I would think that the business transaction should be nice and smooth. Why is Dragon Ball owned by such stingy companies from all sides? Lol I will say, though, that it's disappointing that Dragon Ball hasn't been released in full color by Viz, but there's a lot more to censor and I'm sure it's harder with color.
Well, if the last two Z arcs are anything to go by, the only things they'd censor would be the lips of Popo and officer Black.

Honestly, my main objection to the handling of Full Colour is them starting from Raditz. If they'd started from the beginning, I'd be buying these as they come out. But as it stands, I have no interest in buying a release that starts over a third of the way into the story with no guarantee of going back and covering the early material, which is my favourite material in the first place...

So, I do wish they'd hurry up and get to the "Boyhood Arc" before the next ice age.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

My personal strategy for these is that the Full Colours are the Premium versions of the manga (coloured, Shonen Jump size, etc), and as such are the only ones I own physically. For the rest of it all, I have them digitally on Amazon Kindle for more immediate access.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 am

KBABZ wrote:My personal strategy for these is that the Full Colours are the Premium versions of the manga (coloured, Shonen Jump size, etc), and as such are the only ones I own physically. For the rest of it all, I have them digitally on Amazon Kindle for more immediate access.
You say that as if £186 isn't a premium price to pay for the most basic possible release of the run.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 am

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:My personal strategy for these is that the Full Colours are the Premium versions of the manga (coloured, Shonen Jump size, etc), and as such are the only ones I own physically. For the rest of it all, I have them digitally on Amazon Kindle for more immediate access.
You say that as if £186 isn't a premium price to pay for the most basic possible release of the run.
Which run are you referring to?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 am

KBABZ wrote:Which run are you referring to?
The volumes. Digital, because the print run adds about £2 to each volume.

It's worth noting the VizBigs are cheaper, but not by that much. (~£150)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 am

Robo4900 wrote:
How does that compare to the Full Colours?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
How does that compare to the Full Colours?
Buying it digitally, the Saiyan arc alone is £28, Freeza is £48. Estimating based on the prices of each Full Colour volume, and assuming they do in fact end up releasing the "Boyhood" and Piccolo arcs, the price of the entire run would be somewhere between £250 and £300.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 am

I usually buy from UK bookstores that have a much bigger discount. 7 to 9 euros each volume of the Full Color print edition.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am

Robo4900 wrote:Buying it digitally, the Saiyan arc alone is £28, Freeza is £48. Estimating based on the prices of each Full Colour volume, and assuming they do in fact end up releasing the "Boyhood" and Piccolo arcs, the price of the entire run would be somewhere between £250 and £300.
Hm, so a pretty wide margin then. My division of them is more a matter of convenience vs reading experience. There's nothing like reading the actual book, but if I need to grab a screenshot or reference a line of dialogue, I look it up in the digital version. Convenience is also why I got them on Kindle specifically, as I can view those without being connected to the internet.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Man, has there really been no updates on these?

I really wanted those DB full color english editions too... :thumbdown:

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Sin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm Man, has there really been no updates on these?

Yeah that sucks :yawn: .

So when was the last volume they released ? Two years ago i think.
My English is poor .

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 am

Sin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm Man, has there really been no updates on these?

Haven't read any updates from Viz.

Well, if you know Spanish then you can order it from Amazon.es, as they've completed their release, iirc. Either that or wait until 2040 and we might get it all in English.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 am Haven't read any updates from Viz.

Well, if you know Spanish then you can order it from Amazon.es, as they've completed their release, iirc. Either that or wait until 2040 and we might get it all in English.

I've had time to learn Japanese, buy the original version and nearly finish reading it in the meantime (I've just started the Boo arc).

Yes, it actually takes less time to learn an entire foreign language and just read the originals than it does waiting for Viz to continue publishing these.

The Japanese originals might not be as big and beautiful as the English edition, but at least I don't have to deal with censored Popo.