How would you improve DBS' antagonists?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How would you improve DBS' antagonists?

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am

No real premise, just kind of curious to read how the community would improve DBS' antagonists since not all of them are (always) well liked.
I'm not just talking about villains, but antagonists in general. This includes the likes of Jiren.
So here are my two cents, I'll try to be straightforward to keep the reading interesting.

Beerus [BoG arc]

- Remove any mention and any comparison to his power to Vegeta and Goku's.
- Add more of a sense he's actually light years stronger than SSG Goku. Make Goku seem more desperate, scared, etc.

Later:

- Add a clear ceiling to his power.
- [anime only] Have him do actually something .

Overall my only problem with him is how his power ceiling keeps getting "silently" higher and higher, just because Toriyama doesn't feel like it's time for Goku & Vegeta to be stronger yet. While it's unique to his character, the fact that there isn't anything clear yet has gotten annoying and frustrating rather than interesting.

U6 fighters as a whole

- Make another fighter almost as formidable as Hit. Detailed explainations below:

While I do think the U6 is pretty ok and enjoyable, I feel like there are way too many fighters that aren't that powerful against Goku and Vegeta. The fights still work, especially Piccolo vs Frost and Vegeta vs Cabba, but a real sense of tension only starts when Hit joins the battle.
I would keep Botamo, Cabba and Frost as strong as they were, but I would buff Magetta to be around SSG levels.
A comic and gimmick fighter who appears to be just that - a gimmick fighter - but he's actually very powerful and deadly, à la fat Buu.
A "second-in-command" like Toppo was to Jiren, so to say.
It would've started to create tension and to tire out Vegeta if he fought him before Hit, resulting in a better paced arc.

Zamasu (present incarnation)

- Change the Babarian scene with something more complex, like an intelligent and rather civil population that is on the verge of destruction 100 years later. Would've added weight to Zamasu's point of view and philosophy.

Zamasu (future incarnation)

- Make him do something despicable to make us hate him more. I like his gimmicks and the fact he's not a character based on brute force, but he sort of still lacks presence (unlike the Black Goku incarnation). Make him kill a named character at one point, perhaps Mei (who could be revived later).

Merged Zamasu

- Avoid the grotesque form.
- Cut one or two of his lines to not make them sound too repetitive.
- [anime only] Don't have him overpowered by SSBKK Goku.

Kefla

- Massively nerf her and estabilish better that Goku isn't doing as good as he could in his god forms. Bring her to around SSB levels max.
- Change her personality to be a bit less cocky and a bit more rational/calm to not make her feel like Caulifla 2.0.

Jiren

- Leave his background unclear.
- Just base his need for raw power to a more personal and a bit selfish goal. Make him somebody who pursue absolute strenght just out of sheer curiosity and intrigue and who has started pushing aside his friends in this endeavor. Still keep him rational, composed and intelligent about it. The fact that Goku later denies what he has been could still work.

Broly

- Have him being threated a bit less like a poor sad puppy and a bit more like somebody who has the bad tendency to completely lose any rationale when angered, somebody who has to be stopped.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: How would you improve DBS' antagonists?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 am

The main thing I would improve about Zamasu was the ending to his story. Sure he is my favourite character in Dragon Ball, but as a villain, I know that he deserved to suffer a lot for his actions. While watching him losing his sanity and body was kind of a satisfying punishment, I think that he deserved to suffer more. Because when you think about it, he got a clean and painless death as he was erased in a few seconds like every other being in the timeline.

Personally Zamasu shouldn't have been killed. I saw other people suggest that he should have been forced to become the best friend of the King of All, so that he would spend the rest of eternity as a minion and unable to do anything about mortals. I saw others suggest that he should be forced to spend the rest of eternity in a void dimension so that he would be alone and unable to be worshipped by anyone, and would slowly be driven insane by solitude. I really like these ideas. Don't get me wrong, Zamasu's death was still very brutal, but he didn't suffer enough after committing multiversal genocide.
Zamasu (present incarnation)

- Change the Babarian scene with something more complex, like an intelligent and rather civil population that is on the verge of destruction 100 years later. Would've added weight to Zamasu's point of view and philosophy.
Alternatively, show a flashback of Zamasu witnessing other examples like Planet Babari to reinforce his point.

The problem with Zamasu is that they just told, they didn't show anything. They said that Zamasu was already troubled after witnessing many examples of mortals acting foolishly, but they never showed any except for Babari.

I do like your idea. Like have Zamasu see an advanced civilization that is on the verge of annihilation due to civil war. That would support his point that mortals are inherently flawed creatures who always end up destroying each other.

- Make him do something despicable to make us hate him more. I like his gimmicks and the fact he's not a character based on brute force, but he sort of still lacks presence (unlike the Black Goku incarnation). Make him kill a named character at one point, perhaps Mei (who could be revived later).
Well, in the manga he goes around killing mortals while casually talking with Black. Though I find appropriate that Future Zamasu would be kind of a pushover compared to Black. He always lacked the will and strength to act, unlike his past counterpart. It took Black to travel through time and space and kill his master to finally convince him to act.
Merged Zamasu

The grotesque form of Fused Zamasu was personally a nice addition. Sure it is uglier than his Halo form (obviously), but it supports the narrative of Zamasu's sanity breaking more and more, and it also completes the circle of Zamasu becoming the very thing he hated, an ugly and savage brute.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:38 am

I think Zamasu is a very sofisticated character (in fact I love him a lot), so he requires sofisticated writing.
Me, I wrote a lot of stuff so I try to see things from a "technical" perspective, concerning characters.

Regarding the "punishment" idea, while is would've been satisfactory to see Zamasu sealed in another dimension, I think it would've been a bit over the top.
Zamasu's best punishment was to be erased completely, without any trace of him remaining.
See other people dying still have an afterlife, even the likes of Frieza, but Zamasu, being erased PERMANENTLY from the absolute god of the universe, is the best punishment he could've got.
Sure he didn't suffer enough, but adding suffering to his defeat would've felt a bit cliché and not fitting enough, at least concerning me.
Again, to have Zamasu being erased from the literal god of everything is the best and most thematically fitting theme he could've got.

I don't really think Zamasu suffers too much from the lack of "show don't tell". Sure it's always better to show but not literally always, some characters do thrive in readers/watchers filling the gaps with their imagination (Jiren).
What they did successfully show is Zamasu feeling conflicted about his role and the role of the kais.
What they didn't successfully show is what disturbed Zamasu so much.

This is what I liked:
- Him being sort of a OCD kind of guy;
- Him being so much troubled at the sight of Goku being so strong.

This is what I didn't like:
- Him observing the Babarians.

So I think they nailed it for 2/3 and failed it for 1/3. Actually a bit more because a whole civilization failing is, of course, way more important than a mortal being so disgustingly strong.
If the Babarian scene was more morally grey and grounded, it would've worked x10 times better for his character, I think.

Regarding the grotesque form, well I don't dislike it that much, I just think it's a bit cliché to have the villain trasform into a repulsive thing last minute (ex.: Albert Wesker in Resident Evil 5), BUT I agree it sort of fits with Zamasu overall.
Perhaps it's just a bit over the top, unneeded and cliché, but it fits. So I have mixed feelings about it, again from a writing point of view.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 am

Firstly, I would change the structure of the narrative so that we had actual villains again over the likes of simply antagonists. It works on paper, but the whole aspect of these characters not really being truly malicious or out to kill our heroes really dampers on the story. That being said, here's what I would do to the characters in the current story:

Beerus
-Remove any mention of "I've only been using X% of my power" and really keep his feats obscure to set him up as that goal post for Goku and Vegeta. And rather than have a notion of "surpassing" Beerus, make it "caught up" or "almost equal to" in order to really sell how powerful he is

Hit
-Honestly, Hit works fine. It's an interesting concept and I enjoy his character

Zamasu and Goku Black
-For Zamasu, I would like to see a bit of hesitation at first. Maybe play around with the idea that he hasn't fully committed to his ideas or is conflicted. With Goku Black, make him the exact opposite. He has no doubt in his mind that the Zero Mortals Plan is what needs to be done. Also, make the endgame similar to what we are seeing in SDBH with the whole "overthrowing Zeno" storyline, and that the Universes are set up to fuel Zamasu's power to see that happen. Then when his fusion starts failing, it's due to the conflicted nature of the two Zamasus

Jiren
-Hes Batman. Honestly, I liked his backstory moreso in the Manga but liked his character development by the end of the anime arc. So maybe combine the two together. Also, while I see wanting to make him this massive wall for Goku, I felt as though he got nerfed after his initial outing in 109/110. I would definitely try and keep him consistent and then once he powers up to full, hes just decimating everyone until MUI comes along

Broly
-Broly was done fine in my opinion. Nothing I could really see adding

Moro
-The arc isnt finished, but I'm interested to see what is done with him. I hope he does more than just regain his youth and get sealed away. Have him be a legitimate threat to the universe that maybe Goku and Vegeta arent prepared to handle

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am

Whats the obsession with nerfing green haired sayians?

Zamasu should have had minions. universe 10 should have still had 5 supreme kias, one being grand supreme.

Zamasu would usurp the title of grand supreme kia lead 4 others

Along with them each having guards

An equivalent of Kibito to shin

So 10 plus goku black and his guard from his time line so 12 villians

One of the Kais has rock manipulation powers and can make golems that serve as freeza force type mooks.

It may not have to go the specific path I laid out but can we have a villian with a hierarchy under them agian like with freeza.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm

louisascommie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am Whats the obsession with nerfing green haired sayians?

Zamasu should have had minions. universe 10 should have still had 5 supreme kias, one being grand supreme.

Zamasu would usurp the title of grand supreme kia lead 4 others

Along with them each having guards

An equivalent of Kibito to shin

So 10 plus goku black and his guard from his time line so 12 villians

One of the Kais has rock manipulation powers and can make golems that serve as freeza force type mooks.

It may not have to go the specific path I laid out but can we have a villian with a hierarchy under them agian like with freeza.
That would be interesting but wouldn't fit with Zamasu's personality. He thought that there should be only one God in the multiverse. He would never share power with anyone else. Even the two Zamases ended up turning on each other in the manga.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:34 pm

louisascommie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am Whats the obsession with nerfing green haired sayians?
Power scaling and Vegetto.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 amU6 fighters as a whole

- Make another fighter almost as formidable as Hit. Detailed explainations below:

Kefla

- Massively nerf her and estabilish better that Goku isn't doing as good as he could in his god forms. Bring her to around SSB levels max.
I don’t understand why you want to nerf Kefla when you want another formidable fighter from U6.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:36 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am No real premise, just kind of curious to read how the community would improve DBS' antagonists since not all of them are (always) well liked.
I'm not just talking about villains, but antagonists in general. This includes the likes of Jiren.
So here are my two cents, I'll try to be straightforward to keep the reading interesting.

Beerus [BoG arc]

- Remove any mention and any comparison to his power to Vegeta and Goku's.
- Add more of a sense he's actually light years stronger than SSG Goku. Make Goku seem more desperate, scared, etc.

Later:

- Add a clear ceiling to his power.
- [anime only] Have him do actually something .

Overall my only problem with him is how his power ceiling keeps getting "silently" higher and higher, just because Toriyama doesn't feel like it's time for Goku & Vegeta to be stronger yet. While it's unique to his character, the fact that there isn't anything clear yet has gotten annoying and frustrating rather than interesting.
I would not change anything about him except perhaps adding that being long asleep can not release all his power instantly would not destroy the universe or something so they could give him some fight at the beginning and maybe gohan be the ssj god in this ocacion so that after his defeat decides to reite of the fights a time.
wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am U6 fighters as a whole

While I do think the U6 is pretty ok and enjoyable, I feel like there are way too many fighters that aren't that powerful against Goku and Vegeta. The fights still work, especially Piccolo vs Frost and Vegeta vs Cabba, but a real sense of tension only starts when Hit joins the battle.
I would keep Botamo, Cabba and Frost as strong as they were, but I would buff Magetta to be around SSG levels.
A comic and gimmick fighter who appears to be just that - a gimmick fighter - but he's actually very powerful and deadly, à la fat Buu.
A "second-in-command" like Toppo was to Jiren, so to say.
It would've started to create tension and to tire out Vegeta if he fought him before Hit, resulting in a better paced arc.
It really should be something easy
before FNF, hould be added a mini arc of goku and vegeta traveling to U6 where, separately meet the Saiyans U6 and later goku and vegeta taught transformations to they.
I would really add cabba the Ikari transformation to face vegeta since the Saiyans of U6 lost their tail due to natural evolution developed another type of transformation
vegeta dies in fnf and whis does not return the time claiming that he can not intervene for being impartial so that there is only one goku vs hit.
I would also like Caulifla to participate in the Tournament U6.
wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am Zamasu (present incarnation)

Merged Zamasu

for my zamasu it is great as it was seen in the anime but the spectators will feel more empathy if he had replaced shin in Buu arc.
and zamasu is a villain
wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am Kefla

- Change her personality to be a bit less cocky and a bit more rational/calm to not make her feel like Caulifla 2.0.
you take everything great out of kefla ... she is special because it is the secret weapon of the U6 would not have any sense its existence if it is not able to beat the SSB.
I prefer the arrogant kefla to the patetic in the manga.
wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 am Jiren

- Leave his background unclear.
- Just base his need for raw power to a more personal and a bit selfish goal. Make him somebody who pursue absolute strenght just out of sheer curiosity and intrigue and who has started pushing aside his friends in this endeavor. Still keep him rational, composed and intelligent about it. The fact that Goku later denies what he has been could still work.
simply that they have overcome their past problems and that their style is based on brute force.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 pm

MajinMan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Kefla

I don’t understand why you want to nerf Kefla when you want another formidable fighter from U6.

SSB level is still very formidable, her being strong enough to one shot UIO2 Goku was way too much. The only character who should have pushed goku to UI of any form was Jiren

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Kefla

SSB level is still very formidable, her being strong enough to one shot UIO2 Goku was way too much. The only character who should have pushed goku to UI of any form was Jiren
the Ultra instinct against kefla did not have much his strength because Goku had not "cleared" his mind of any thought
and anyway it is established that anilaza, kefla and toppo god are those that exceed the level of a SSJB if they were not so strong their existence isn't any sense.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Kefla

Because her power doesn't make sense and it ruins Vegetto, the way it was written. Nothing else specifically.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Show Zamasu's fall from grace more. Give us more emotional attachment to his good side before he started hating mortals and wanted to massacre them. Show his "plan" in more detail, make him elaborate more on it. I think that the idea of his "beautiful world" that he was describing was just going to be him and other Shinjin and eliminating all of the mortals. As in, in Universe 7 Kibito, Kaio, and maybe Elder Kai would be spared and "live in harmony." That was my interpretation, but it was never actually explicitly explained and I wish it was.

Show more of Jiren's heroic side to him. He's obviously a hero because he's a Pride Trooper but we don't really see it very much. I'd like to see more of that characterization. Drop more hints on his wish and start earlier, give us details on his back story earlier than the last like 5 episodes, and actually explicitly state his wish. I think it was fairly clear what the wish was, but it was never actually said.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:59 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Kefla

Not really a fan of the "only one character per arc can challenge goku" approach

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 am

wolflonnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Kefla

Because her power doesn't make sense and it ruins Vegetto, the way it was written. Nothing else specifically.
but is it ok to ruin kefla to make vegito good?
also kale is stronger than goku or vegeta in z where is the illogical? kefla allows a better balance since is bad that only hit is able to face goku and vegeta.in team U6

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 am

also kale is stronger than goku or vegeta in z where is the illogical? kefla allows a better balance since is bad that only hit is able to face goku and vegeta.in team U6
Oh boy.
Ruin? No, I just specified "make her SSB levels" and to stress out more that Goku isn't performing as well as he could. Nobody talked about "ruining".
Also yes Vegetto has way more story behind than Kefla could ever hope honestly. He has been a fan favourite and an important symbol of the Buu saga and DBZ in general for many years, so he should be threated adequately. That didn't happen.
What happened is that Kefla seems to be illogically way stronger than him where it should be the other way around, that is not good writing. You don't touch such an important figure as Vegetto to make a newbie look good.
Such phenomena never produces good results in a media.
I don't think they purposefully made it seem like Kefla is superior to Vegetto, but bad writing is often unintentional. So that's why I'm suggesting that she could've been better by making her power more logical. Like honestly happened in the manga.
And no her power is not logical no matter how you slice it, but to be fair this is not the "strenght comparison" thread so I won't explain further.
Another simple solution would be to remove the "Jiren is the strongest opponent we dealt with thus far" line altogether, or to simply comment his hidden power as that scary.
Also be it clear. I love a good written female character and I sort of like some facets of Kefla. I don't dislike her. I just think she's a bit over the top.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 am

Freeza (Resurrection F)

Make his Golden form more of a threat. This is something the TV version at least tried to do better than the movie, but the awful production made it hard to care, so let's focus on the film. The biggest problem with Freeza in Resurrection F was he lost all credibility once Goku and Vegeta showed up. It took the Universe Survival Arc to make what was supposed to be his big comeback worthwhile. Therefore, the best approach they could have done would be to really lean into the idea that his new form is incredibly dangerous, that he can kill Goku AND Vegeta in their Blue forms with it, and the stamina flaw is what saves them. He should have been beating the shit out of Goku for most of the fight, Vegeta should have been nervous about having to fight it. Instead neither of them take him seriously and the "reveal" of the form's weakness falls completely flat.

Zamasu

The problem many people have with Zamasu is that his fall from grace wasn't believable. It just sort of happens without much prompting and we're meant to think it was this tragic figure. I actually don't think that's a problem. I think the idea that he always was self-righteous, petty and hypocritical makes for a better villain than a faux-sympathetic one. So I'd honestly say leaning into that would make him work better. It's an obvious comparison but when I think of Zamasu and Black, I think of Hux and Kylo Ren from the new Star Wars movies. Make them whiny bully-boys who were always one step away from the deep end. It would actually make them more threatening, in my opinion.

Jiren

There are so many obvious ways to "fix" Jiren that I'm not going to bother with them. Yes the backstory could have been better, yes he shouldn't have spent 90% of the arc mute, yes overwhelming strength isn't enough of a hook for a main villain these days. Instead, what I think could have made Jiren better without sacrificing any of the ideas behind him (which ultimately came together nicely) is one simple solution:

Take the piss out of him.

Seriously, Jiren is a character dying to be made fun of. A self-serious stoic "badass" with a lame by 21st century standards tragic past using stupid one-liners and bully tactics to hide the fact he's just a scared, lonely child. He's basically Lego Batman. You can even make fun of him without sacrificing his power and threat. A few little moments of getting bonked on the head by debris or Saitama-style non-reactions would go a long way. And have the characters acknowledge his stoic attitude for how silly it really is. 17 and Vegeta had a couple cracks about him being emotionless toward the end, a few more of those throughout the arc would have been much better. Anything to prevent him from being so unbearably one-note for so much of the arc.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:55 am

Your ideas are very good wolflonnie. Mine are similar with some key differences. Let's start with Beerus.

Beerus - You found many of Beerus' key problems, mainly the fact that he has a shifting power level and doesn't do anything. The shifting power level (which escalates more and more as Goku and Vegeta make drastic improvements) was the solution to the problem of major characters getting surpassed in Toriyama san's crazy game of power escalation. To solve this problem, Toriyama-san needs to quit blowing his power scale to shreds for shallow entertainment value and come up with a solid power hierarchy.

The second problem, him not doing much, can be solved by having a secondary plot line with some sort of betrayal within the godly ranks. For Zamasu to carry out his plan so effortlessly, some other GoD or Angel had to help him. Have Beerus go up against other GoDs in his investigation to establish just how much better they are than Goku and Vegeta at this point. Have one of the Saiyans try to help but get swatted away like nothing early on. Have one of the GoDs use a finger to nearly kill them until Beerus steps in and just before this fight is resolved, their fight is stopped by the Grand Priest before the start of the ToP, adding more stakes to the tournament..

For U6 - I'd just bring Gohan along and have he and Piccolo farther in their training than Super had them. I'd also have Buu there and not used as a gag, and I'd exclude Monaka entirely and have a serious tournament arc. Gohan and Piccolo would be as strong as they were during the ToP (which they should have been already after Piccolo's death by Frieza).

I'd make sure to show more of Cabba's battle smarts. Have him comment on the fights and make quick and smart observations. I'd have Gohan fight Botomo 1st and have Cabba basically download Gohan's fighting style and figure out a counter for it. I'd have Gohan use SSJ against Botomo and have Cabba witness that there. I'd also offer more of an explanation of why base Saiyans are so strong in U6 and emphasize that. Cabba would fight Gohan next, dominate SSJ with base and explain to Gohan that he's no rookie to emphasize his role as a galactic peacekeeper. I'd have Gohan go SSJ2 here and fight on equal footing with base Cabba, then reveal here that Gohan gained Ultimate while training with Piccolo. Gohan gains upper hand then Cabba, in his desperation attempts SSJ. He nearly gets it, but doesn't understand the catalyst for the transfomation. Vegeta sees this and starts throwing taunts and threats towards the young Saiyan, saying that universe 7 will destroy all the fake Saiyans of U6 once the tournament is done and even gets personal with it by mentioning Sadala's king, people, and Cabba's family. Cabba gets SSJ and after a hard fought battle, defeats Gohan. ------ Cabba now looks stronger

Vegeta would defeat a tired Cabba and show him a few tricks, such as Blue. Frost would be the same except he would deceive Vegeta instead this time. He would lose in the same way as the anime, but this would motivate him to get stronger, like Frieza.

Next Vegeta would take on Magetta, but the stamina drain from transforming + Frost's poison + Magetta's sauna would finally take him down. Magetta would be basically physically invincible, his hard body but combined with a ki shield this time. Next would be Piccolo. Piccolo would give Magetta a good fight, using strategy to outmanuever his opponent, but he'd be greatly outclassed. Like Frost but making more sense in this scenario, Piccolo would be forced to charge the SBC to attempt to pierce Magetta's armor as a last ditch effort. Piccolo would get the shot off and do major damage to Magetta to surprise everyone, but it wouldn't be enough and Magetta would overpower him and knock him out the ring. ---------- with two big victories Magetta now seems like a big deal.

Buu would go next and would use his elasticity to outmanuever and defeat Magetta, setting up Buu vs. Hit. Hit would initially have some trouble figuring out Buu but would eventually get the better of him, making Buu frustrated. In his frustration, Buu would begin spamming his hax candy beam. Seeing the danger, Hit would be forced to use Time Skip to avoid the attack and eliminate Buu. This would setup Hit vs. Goku and I wouldn't change that, just end it in a double DQ and have the end be a janken match with Beerus and Champa with Beerus winning the wish.

Zamasu - was already REALLY REALLY good as an antagonist. I wouldn't change much there, just add more depth to the character to flesh out his motivations. I'd also show his rise to power and showcase him as a "good" character in earlier arcs of Super just to make his heel turn even more surprising. Maybe, instead of being from Universe 10, I'd have him be a new Universe 7 Kaioshin, born in Trunks' timeline, who witnessed the random destruction caused by the androids and the blatant abuse of time travel by Trunks. His obsession with Goku would likely stem from a study of Universe 7 history (both timelines). He would see Goku for the threat he could possibly be (he has gathered an army of powerful villains as allies) and how he has even bent the gods to his whims (making life and death his plaything, abusing the Dragon Ball's, threatening Shin). This would make him crave Goku's power and influence but despise the lowly mortal.

Merged Zamasu - Nearly perfect IMO. I'd extend the fight with Vegetto and combine manga and anime versions for optimal abilities. His loss to the Spirit Bomb Sword in the anime would have been brilliant if they were forced to lure MZ to the past so Goku could use it their in full power, resulting in a situation where Trunks is the last man standing (like Krillin & Gohan) and must use the power Goku made himself. Of course, that messes up the other plot points, but maybe this defeat causes Zamasu's essence to flee back to the future.

Kefla - She was honestly really cool. The thing with the girls, is I'd change them entirely and I'd start with why they weren't in the last tournament. The excuse ... they were too strong. Cabba knew about them but didn't think they could be controlled. I'd have them as hermits on the outskirts of society, killing anyone who tries to capture them or enter into their domain. I'd make them a little older, or at least I'd make one of them a little older, probably Caulifla. I'd make her like 29. Kale would be more similar to her manga version, but even in base would have a berserker personality when she gets mad or excited - this one sadistic like movie Broly (old version). They'd also be the only Saiyans in U6 that know how to transform into SSJ, with rumored sightings of a "Green monster" on Sadala whenever Kale loses her cool. So naturally they'd be stronger than we see them in the show, basically because they are always fighting, often times each other as Caulifla attempts to reign in the rages of her good friend. I'd have their might tested against Hit in the lead up to the ToP and have them all train with Cabba for a bit to further master their forms.

Jiren - For him, I'd create a path to power. I'd chronicle what struggles caused him to gain as much power as he did to setup a parallel to Goku. I'd mention all the world ending villains he fought and show a montage of the fights so it seems less like a random alien came out of nowhere stronger than gods and more like a real character. I'd create at least a few techniques to set him apart. I like his eye techniques so I'd do more with that or to cement his status as a Superman homage, I'd give him more of Superman's abilities like Superbreath, Ice Breath, X-Ray Vision (useful for pressure points), & a solar aura. I'd just make him a strong no-nonsense do-gooder who thinks Goku is the villain and wants to stop him. He could still have the generic backstory, but I'd at least mention the villains name and say he's still at large to set something up in the future. I'd also make mention that there are many villains in Universe 11 who become universal threats, many too dangerous to add to the team. That would make fans interested to see more of Universe 11 and would further explain why that universe is so powerful.

Broly - For Broly, hmmm ... he's tricky. I kinda like what the movie did, but at the same time felt Broly lacked agency. I'd have him more actively hating Vegeta for his life as an exile and the death of his father. As a matter of fact, I'd have Frieza directly blame Vegeta for Paragus' death. I'd have him more actively trying to kill Vegeta in their fight, with Goku making some saves, then Broly loses control and tries to kill Goku too. I'd have his Berserk state still have a personality, but more sadistic than his normal self, kinda like teen Gohan on steroids. I'd even have him try to kill Bulma, since Vegeta took someone from him his childish mind would want to do the same. And his power would be a mix of his own incredible potential + progressive Zenkais + Berseker Oozaru power + his body reacting to the god powers of Goku and Vegeta, resulting in the berserk freak we see in the latest movie when he goes Super Saiyan. They'll call him a Super Saiyan Demon this time.

And finally, I have to add this one because its been bothering me and that is ...
Frieza, Tagoma, & Shisami - Please, for the love of Kami, please have the story go like this ... Champa and Vados are in U7 searching for Super DBs, Vados mentions that they could be discovered at any moment and they are by the Elder Kai. Vados and Champa stop by the planet of the Kais to shut their mouths, but when they get there, Champa comes up with a scheme to distract Beerus. He asks to see there are any warriors in the universe that can cause a big ruckus throughout the universe. The Elder Kai lists off the likes of Majin Buu and goes off on a diatribe, then eventually comes to the Z fighters. Champa asks about them, but Elder Kai says that their leaders are now training with Beerus. Champa finds this odd but asks if there is anyone else since Majin Buu is defeated. Elder Kai mentions that a version of Majin Buu exists but has been pacified and not likely to cause trouble. Shin then mentions a dead troublemaker by the name of Frieza who was feared throughout the galaxy. Champa likes the sound of that and asks who killed Frieza. They tell him and so Champa concocts a plan to use Frieza as a distraction.

Vados uses her staff and discovers that Frieza is currently alive thanks to a wish by his subordinates and the Kai's wonder how they missed this. Champa cheers at his turn of luck and has Vados take him to Frieza who is "training" with Tagoma. Frieza remarks that Beerus looks different, but an annoyed Champa explains that Beerus is his brother. He tells Frieza that his training regiment is pathetic and that he's likely to lose to the Saiyans that his brother is currently training. Frieza boils and Champa assures him that Vados can train Frieza in the same way that she trained him and that with her training, Frieza'll surpass the Saiyans in no time at all. Frieza sadistically smiles thinking of the pain he'll inflict on Goku and Vegeta after training with gods quickly agrees. Vados tells Frieza that a training partner would be beneficial and so Frieza takes the only warriors he has that may survive the training, Togoma and Shisami.

I'd have Frieza train for 6 months this time and have him straight up surpass both Goku and Vegeta. I'd have it take the both of them together to beat his golden form. I'd also make Togoma and Shisami reach the cusp of god power, like high Buu saga tier, but have the training warp their personalities to they're mere shells of their former selves thanks to all the deaths, near deaths, and resurrections endured during the training. This way, I'd completely scrap the extremely weakened Gohan angle and give him tough opponents that push him forward, not send him backwards in development. They'd be the final opponents for the entirety of the Z warriors, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and #18 included.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 am Zamasu

The problem many people have with Zamasu is that his fall from grace wasn't believable. It just sort of happens without much prompting and we're meant to think it was this tragic figure. I actually don't think that's a problem. I think the idea that he always was self-righteous, petty and hypocritical makes for a better villain than a faux-sympathetic one. So I'd honestly say leaning into that would make him work better. It's an obvious comparison but when I think of Zamasu and Black, I think of Hux and Kylo Ren from the new Star Wars movies. Make them whiny bully-boys who were always one step away from the deep end. It would actually make them more threatening, in my opinion.
I get the sense that this is what Toyotaro goes for in the manga. Or at the very least, that's the impression both his Black and Furure incarnations leave me. Manga Zamasu comes off as a naive punk who gets in over his head. He's also dismissive of mortals and antsy to use his power (which he's perhaps too proud of) from the moment we meet him.

It's obviously quite a different take from the anime' suave, mustache-twirling villain, and apparently a less popular one, but it's ones I kind of like—especially for a shorter version of the story.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:59 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 am
Tai Lung wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58 am
Oh boy.
Ruin? No, I just specified "make her SSB levels" and to stress out more that Goku isn't performing as well as he could. Nobody talked about "ruining".
Also yes Vegetto has way more story behind than Kefla could ever hope honestly. He has been a fan favourite and an important symbol of the Buu saga and DBZ in general for many years, so he should be threated adequately. That didn't happen.
What happened is that Kefla seems to be illogically way stronger than him where it should be the other way around, that is not good writing. You don't touch such an important figure as Vegetto to make a newbie look good.
Such phenomena never produces good results in a media.
I don't think they purposefully made it seem like Kefla is superior to Vegetto, but bad writing is often unintentional. So that's why I'm suggesting that she could've been better by making her power more logical. Like honestly happened in the manga.
And no her power is not logical no matter how you slice it, but to be fair this is not the "strenght comparison" thread so I won't explain further.
Another simple solution would be to remove the "Jiren is the strongest opponent we dealt with thus far" line altogether, or to simply comment his hidden power as that scary.
Also be it clear. I love a good written female character and I sort of like some facets of Kefla. I don't dislike her. I just think she's a bit over the top.
why? nobody believes that gotenks ssj3 ruins goku ssj3 ...
is just pure favoritism
I like it more vegito and I do not care about that kefla is more sttronger.
kale is stronger than goku and vegeta logically kefla must be stronger
in the manga kefla if it is illogical because vados says he can beat everyone (except jiren) and she saw the fight of toppo and goku only so that gohan defeat her ridiculously.