Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 am Even if there's no hard evidence that the Kai TFC OP was made in 4x3 AR, going by the Kai OP makes it pretty obvious it was made as such and even comparing the Majin Boo Hen vs TFC version shows TOEI had it.

Here's a comparison of Kai's OP/ED in 4x3 AR and 16x9 AR. Q-TEC did a really good job with the selective cropping but could have been better.

Opening - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Ending - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

I personally have no issues and having two versions, one fullscreen and one widescreen gives me more options to watch the show. At least they remastered it properly unlike a YouTube/FUNimation "remaster" (the episodes, not the OP/EDs of course). :lol:
At least with Kai they made some degree of effort to place the frames for 16:9 broadcast to where they would look good even if not always, certainly compared to FUNi's own widescreen versions where they basically just set it to dead center crop all the time and didn't really put any thought into preserving the important parts of the picture.

With Kai at least the widescreen makes sense given the intent of the show, compared to what FUNimation did with the season sets where it was an out of left field decision even with their pathetic attempts to justify their reasoning (or lack thereof) for doing so.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 amAt least with Kai they made some degree of effort to place the frames for 16:9 broadcast to where they would look good even if not always, certainly compared to FUNi's own widescreen versions where they basically just set it to dead center crop all the time and didn't really put any thought into preserving the important parts of the picture.

With Kai at least the widescreen makes sense given the intent of the show, compared to what FUNimation did with the season sets where it was an out of left field decision even with their pathetic attempts to justify their reasoning (or lack thereof) for doing so.
Once again, could you please STOP quoting every image in a post?

Anyway, it is worth noting that Funi did have selective cropping for the Blu Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 amAt least with Kai they made some degree of effort to place the frames for 16:9 broadcast to where they would look good even if not always, certainly compared to FUNi's own widescreen versions where they basically just set it to dead center crop all the time and didn't really put any thought into preserving the important parts of the picture.

Anyway, it is worth noting that Funi did have selective cropping for the Blu Bricks.
Ok sorry, i am still relatively new here so i haven't yet fully figured out how everything on the forum works. That includes the quoting of images where you're doing just certain ones rather than the whole post. I'll make more of an effort to do that in the future. :oops:

Yeah, while the Season BD's are selective in the cropping of scenes compared to the Orange Bricks they are inconsistent at times where some shots slipped past them.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 amOk sorry, i am still relatively new here so i haven't yet fully figured out how everything on the forum works. That includes the quoting of images where you're doing just certain ones rather than the whole post. I'll make more of an effort to do that in the future. :oops:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 amYeah, while the Season BD's are selective in the cropping of scenes compared to the Orange Bricks they are inconsistent at times where some shots slipped past them.
Thanks, it'd be much appreciated. As an example, I removed the pictures from IAmTheMilkman's post for convenience; it can be annoying when four people quote, say, one of Kunzait's posts, and not singling out what you're actually referring to in your reply!

And yeah I wouldn't put it past Funi to only adjust egregious shots as they scrubbed through the episode. I have higher hopes for this release though, because I suspect the footage is coming from Toei, which Funi has a track record (DBox Z, Kai, TFC) of not messing with outside of the slight darkening due to different TV standards.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 amOk sorry, i am still relatively new here so i haven't yet fully figured out how everything on the forum works. That includes the quoting of images where you're doing just certain ones rather than the whole post. I'll make more of an effort to do that in the future. :oops:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 amYeah, while the Season BD's are selective in the cropping of scenes compared to the Orange Bricks they are inconsistent at times where some shots slipped past them.
Thanks, it'd be much appreciated. As an example, I removed the pictures from IAmTheMilkman's post for convenience; it can be annoying when four people quote, say, one of Kunzait's posts, and not singling out what you're actually referring to in your reply!

And yeah I wouldn't put it past Funi to only adjust egregious shots as they scrubbed through the episode. I have higher hopes for this release though, because I suspect the footage is coming from Toei, which Funi has a track record (DBox Z, Kai, TFC) of not messing with outside of the slight darkening due to different TV standards.
Alright will do, and on your second point yeah i know for instance on the Season BD's they fixed some of the worst of the cropped shots like the ones i showed in my post taken from the orange bricks. Though it seems for all the ones they corrected there were still quite a few that were missed when FUNi was in the process of the mastering.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 am

Yeah - use the spoiler tags around them. Highlight the image links in the editor and click the "spoiler" button.

You get this effect:

It makes it easier on everyone when these forums get image heavy (as I'm certain they will when any previews are announced and the set is finally released). We apparently love to nitpick that stuff here. :D
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm

ect5150 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pmYou get this effect:
Heh, didn't expect to see Manningface on Kanzenshuu! I' guessing you browse r/nfl...

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm

I hope the announcement comes within the next few days. I think it'll be at least a week, maybe two.

It needs to be 4:3. I'm so excited!.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:19 pm

ect5150 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pmYeah - use the spoiler tags around them. Highlight the image links in the editor and click the "spoiler" button.

You get this effect:
Oh hey, Spoiler tags are working again! : D

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm

I know FUNi's own "remasters" in the Orange Bricks and Season BD's aren't actual remasters in of themselves but automated, half baked DNR'd to crap rush jobs. My point with the Season/Dragon Box comparisons was to illustrate just how much better they can do than what they have actually put out, if the Dragon Boxes and Level BD's are any indication they can in fact get it right and give the fans as is versions of the show that aren't completely messed up. It quite frankly baffles me that their faux "remastered" widescreen garbage somehow became the standard, though that has more to do with the cheap price of the season sets than anything. I mean seriously, compare the below pics and it's no contest that when they have made the effort to get with Toei that produces better results than their own crappy attempts at remastering. If this new Blu-ray release is what it's shaping up to be with the two companies' collaboration, then maybe we will finally have a proper version that becomes the new standard going forward.

Note: Finally got the spoiler tags figured out, this will make the images easier to pick out when needed.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm I know FUNi's own "remasters" in the Orange Bricks and Season BD's aren't actual remasters in of themselves but automated, half baked DNR'd to crap rush jobs. My point with the Season/Dragon Box comparisons was to illustrate just how much better they can do than what they have actually put out, if the Dragon Boxes and Level BD's are any indication they can in fact get it right and give the fans as is versions of the show that aren't completely messed up. It quite frankly baffles me that their faux "remastered" widescreen garbage somehow became the standard, though that has more to do with the cheap price of the season sets than anything. I mean seriously, compare the below pics and it's no contest that when they have made the effort to get with Toei that produces better results than their own crappy attempts at remastering. If this new Blu-ray release is what it's shaping up to be with the two companies' collaboration, then maybe we will finally have a proper version that becomes the new standard going forward.

Note: Finally got the spoiler tags figured out, this will make the images easier to pick out when needed.
The Season DVDs/BDs were a commercial success and it took them little work to get it together so why would they spend more on a quality release for niche fans? It's not very lucrative to them.

Weren't the Level Blu-rays cancelled because they tanked in sales? They did come out right after Dragon Box Z Vol. 7 but your usual FUNimation customers are used to buy a "season" with 40 episodes for around the price Level 1.1's MSRP.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm I know FUNi's own "remasters" in the Orange Bricks and Season BD's aren't actual remasters in of themselves but automated, half baked DNR'd to crap rush jobs. My point with the Season/Dragon Box comparisons was to illustrate just how much better they can do than what they have actually put out, if the Dragon Boxes and Level BD's are any indication they can in fact get it right and give the fans as is versions of the show that aren't completely messed up. It quite frankly baffles me that their faux "remastered" widescreen garbage somehow became the standard, though that has more to do with the cheap price of the season sets than anything. I mean seriously, compare the below pics and it's no contest that when they have made the effort to get with Toei that produces better results than their own crappy attempts at remastering. If this new Blu-ray release is what it's shaping up to be with the two companies' collaboration, then maybe we will finally have a proper version that becomes the new standard going forward.

The Season DVDs/BDs were a commercial success and it took them little work to get it together so why would they spend more on a quality release for niche fans? It's not very lucrative to them.

Weren't the Level Blu-rays cancelled because they tanked in sales? They did come out right after Dragon Box Z Vol. 7 but your usual FUNimation customers are used to buy a "season" with 40 episodes for around the price Level 1.1's MSRP.
By the same token they could also have just as easily slapped their existing masters into the season sets albeit with a little touching up and they still would've sold like hotcakes. The 16:9 cropping and DNR'ing were quite frankly IMO pointless and stupid decisions because it's not like doing those things improved the visual look any. On the contrary, it put the show into an aspect ratio it was never intended to be viewed in and completely mucked up the video quality.

I believe that's part of why they went belly up, as FUNi put the Level sets out too soon in the midst of the blitz of other DBZ releases coming out at the same time (Dragon Box, Kai) so they basically got lost in the shuffle and hardly anyone was interested, which is a damn shame because they looked so good. Now maybe if they had put them out in bigger sets like the Orange Bricks in 2013 or later maybe they would have been better received.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
El Conejo Malo

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm It quite frankly baffles me that their faux "remastered" widescreen garbage somehow became the standard, though that has more to do with the cheap price of the season sets than anything.
It had everything to do with the cheap price. No question. If the orange bricks had been 4:3 they would have sold just as well, if not better, because then fans like us would have been more inclined to buy them. You don't see sales of Avatar: The Last Airbender suffering because they're only available in 4:3. The orange bricks' success was all about the price and convenience, make no mistake. That Funimation attributes any of that success to their 16:9 abomination of a "remaster" is positively mind-boggling to me.

Oh, and you are so close to figuring out how to properly hide those images. Next time, just wrap all of the images in one spoiler tag, as opposed to each individual image.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:57 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pmBy the same token they could also have just as easily slapped their existing masters into the season sets albeit with a little touching up and they still would've sold like hotcakes. The 16:9 cropping and DNR'ing were quite frankly IMO pointless and stupid decisions because it's not like doing those things improved the visual look any. On the contrary, it put the show into an aspect ratio it was never intended to be viewed in and completely mucked up the video quality.

I believe that's part of why they went belly up, as FUNi put the Level sets out too soon in the midst of the blitz of other DBZ releases coming out at the same time (Dragon Box, Kai) so they basically got lost in the shuffle and hardly anyone was interested, which is a damn shame because they looked so good. Now maybe if they had put them out in bigger sets like the Orange Bricks in 2013 or later maybe they would have been better received.
The ironic thing is that Dragon Ball Z home releases in English-speaking countries would have been better off if that's what Funimation did back in 2007. Being able to collect the series at a reasonable price and to save shelf space was plenty of incentive for people to buy the orange bricks, Manga UK wouldn't have been stuck with what Funimation gave us, the Level sets may have even sold better if they were the first time we heard "For the first time ever, the original Dragon Ball Z series remastered in High Definition" although Funi would be keeping their word and not been deliberately misleading just to make a profit.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:57 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pmBy the same token they could also have just as easily slapped their existing masters into the season sets albeit with a little touching up and they still would've sold like hotcakes. The 16:9 cropping and DNR'ing were quite frankly IMO pointless and stupid decisions because it's not like doing those things improved the visual look any. On the contrary, it put the show into an aspect ratio it was never intended to be viewed in and completely mucked up the video quality.

The ironic thing is that Dragon Ball Z home releases in English-speaking countries would have been better off if that's what Funimation did back in 2007. Being able to collect the series at a reasonable price and to save shelf space was plenty of incentive for people to buy the orange bricks, Manga UK wouldn't have been stuck with what Funimation gave us, the Level sets may have even sold better if they were the first time we heard "For the first time ever, the original Dragon Ball Z series remastered in High Definition" although Funi would be keeping their word and not been deliberately misleading just to make a profit.
No question there, and what really sucks about it is that we don't have a readily available 4:3 average Joe release of the series as of now no thanks to their god awful excuse of a so called "remaster" which it actually wasn't in reality. It really makes me wish they had waited a couple more years to release the Levels because for a moment it looked like FUNi had finally gotten it right before they shot themselves in the foot by releasing them too soon.

Thus with the lack of said release, that is why i took the plunge on tracking down the Dragon Boxes because the series really deserves so much better than what FUNi has done to it time and again.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
Why spoiler tags you ask, because posts especially ones with a butt load of images can be quite taxing to scroll all the way through from beginning to end. The tags make it easier to view them and take up a lot less space in the post itself.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:40 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:19 pm It quite frankly baffles me that their faux "remastered" widescreen garbage somehow became the standard, though that has more to do with the cheap price of the season sets than anything.
It had everything to do with the cheap price. No question. If the orange bricks had been 4:3 they would have sold just as well, if not better, because then fans like us would have been more inclined to buy them. You don't see sales of Avatar: The Last Airbender suffering because they're only available in 4:3. The orange bricks' success was all about the price and convenience, make no mistake. That Funimation attributes any of that success to their 16:9 abomination of a "remaster" is positively mind-boggling to me.

Oh, and you are so close to figuring out how to properly hide those images. Next time, just wrap all of the images in one spoiler tag, as opposed to each individual image.
Maybe, maybe not. Your casual customers prefer that the screen on the TV covers it all rather than seeing black bars on the sides.

There was a time when black bars bothered me but I got used to them and am perfectly fine with it, much rather have series and movies in 4x3 AR than fake 16x9 AR.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:40 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Your casual customers prefer that the screen on the TV covers it all rather than seeing black bars on the sides.

There was a time when black bars bothered me but I got used to them and am perfectly fine with it, much rather have series and movies in 4x3 AR than fake 16x9 AR.
Same here mostly, though in the case of the movies i believe they work in either aspect ratio as they were intended to be shown in theaters in Japan cropped to widescreen but could also be played in the original fullscreen on television and such. I am currently getting the singles and movie packs to have both versions of each when i feel like watching either version. Of course that mostly applies to the Z movies, since the four Dragon Ball films are only released exclusively in 4:3 here.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
It's not that. It just reduces the amount of clutter.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs