Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ect5150 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:01 am The problem is that because most people think like that, this release might not see the day.
I was thinking about that. Wasn't this release supposed to be in conjunction with Toei Animation? That lead me to believe this stuff was going to be released in Japan as well. If that's true, I'm wondering if this pre-order stuff is just the collector's version with a normal release following that would be near identical to the one released in Japan.

If this is the case, then it doesn't matter what's being said on Twitter. The money has already been spent on the remaster. They would just release the normal version and not the collector's edition of it to recoup the cost already incurred.

Also, would anyone here pay a few bucks more to have a few extra discs including a widescreen version? The marginal cost of a few extra plastic discs is cheap! Why not make a proper quality release in terms of image quality and put both 4:3 and widescreen versions in the box? It's been done before.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 am

So when might we get Fed more details about this like Say Whos video they will be using ?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 am

ect5150 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:01 am The problem is that because most people think like that, this release might not see the day.
I was thinking about that. Wasn't this release supposed to be in conjunction with Toei Animation? That lead me to believe this stuff was going to be released in Japan as well. If that's true, I'm wondering if this pre-order stuff is just the collector's version with a normal release following that would be near identical to the one released in Japan.

If this is the case, then it doesn't matter what's being said on Twitter. The money has already been spent on the remaster. They would just release the normal version and not the collector's edition of it to recoup the cost already incurred.

Also, would anyone here pay a few bucks more to have a few extra discs including a widescreen version? The marginal cost of a few extra plastic discs is cheap! Why not make a proper quality release in terms of image quality and put both 4:3 and widescreen versions in the box? It's been done before.
Yes we can infer the remaster is done either by ToeiJP or it's Z BDs one from FUNi in 4x3 since we know those exist.

But no a regular release will not happen it's suicidal, and it will 100% be cancelled hence why this collector's thing is being made out as a huge thing. Right now people can legally:
Stream Z
Buy OB's
Buy Season BD's
Watch Z via Kai.

On top of that new material is still being released just look at how bad Kai TFC did when it was released amongst the new material, if folks didn't care about a better dub of Buu arc then they aren't gonna care about splashing money on 4x3.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 am

I hope you are right that only the collector version would be cancelled. Has it actually been said it's a joint project? Unfortunately I don't think it's even said it's remastered in 4:3.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:33 pm

ect5150 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 amI was thinking about that. Wasn't this release supposed to be in conjunction with Toei Animation? That lead me to believe this stuff was going to be released in Japan as well. If that's true, I'm wondering if this pre-order stuff is just the collector's version with a normal release following that would be near identical to the one released in Japan.
This is what I was thinking too. This lead-up feels INCREDIBLY similar to the Dragon Box trio from 15 years ago, and it sounds crazy, but I think that might be what'll happen here.
ect5150 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 amAlso, would anyone here pay a few bucks more to have a few extra discs including a widescreen version? The marginal cost of a few extra plastic discs is cheap! Why not make a proper quality release in terms of image quality and put both 4:3 and widescreen versions in the box? It's been done before.
I mean, I wouldn't because that's not what I want, but I do remember back when DVDs first started that you could buy the Widescreen and Fullscreen version of a film like Philosopher's Stone to fit what your TV was. Maybe there could be a second SKU available online for the 16:9 crop version.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 amit will 100% be cancelled hence why this collector's thing is being made out as a huge thing. Right now people can legally:
Stream Z
Buy OB's
Buy Season BD's
Watch Z via Kai.

On top of that new material is still being released just look at how bad Kai TFC did when it was released amongst the new material, if folks didn't care about a better dub of Buu arc then they aren't gonna care about splashing money on 4x3.
Normally I would agree with you, but part of me thinks that this is partially addressing one of the major criticisms we've had with DBZ since the Orange Bricks, which is that currently there is just no one definitive release of Dragon Ball Z (even the DBoxes have their problems). It's possible that Funimation have been waiting for Toei to do an HD rescan of DBZ to release a more archival version of the show, and I highly suspect that this new version, if it is indeed a Toei rescan, will be replacing the footage of Z available to stream online.
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:35 amHas it actually been said it's a joint project? Unfortunately I don't think it's even said it's remastered in 4:3.
Yes, since the start it was announced that this was a collaboration between Funimation and Toei. That is normally never advertised, which to me lends credence to the theory that this is utilizing the suspected HD scan Toei might doing for DBZ in the wake of all the movies, and the Bardock special (did they ever do the Trunks one??).

I also REALLY like the theory that Toei and Funimation are splitting the bill here because it benefits them both, and a US announcement may make a lot more sense than people realize because I think physical releases of the show makes much more profit overseas than in just Japan on its own. With TFC and Broly, Toei have had a more international mindfulness about them.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 amjust look at how bad Kai TFC did when it was released
Kai TFC came a little too late for people to actually care about it. Dragon Ball Kai came out in 2009 and then ended in 2011, Kai TFC came out in 2014 (and ended in 2015) so by that time most just couldn't care less.

The Japanese version of Kai TFC is honestly way better in my opinion, it's 61 episodes long (rather than 69), Super Boo has red eyes and the OP/ED songs are way catchier. Can't beat Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go! :)

Majin Boo Hen

The Final Chapters

Weird change.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pmThe Japanese version of Kai TFC is honestly way better in my opinion, it's 61 episodes long (rather than 69), Super Boo has red eyes and the OP/ED songs are way catchier. Can't beat Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go! :)
Is there a changelog anywhere for which episodes were shortened for the Japanese TFC?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 amBut no a regular release will not happen it's suicidal, and it will 100% be cancelled hence why this collector's thing is being made out as a huge thing. Right now people can legally:
Stream Z
Buy OB's
Buy Season BD's
Watch Z via Kai.
Since when has a show being on a streaming website meant that it couldn't or shouldn't be sold on home video?
What do the Orange Bricks have to do with not needing an HD release on BD?
The BD "Season" sets are for people in the United States. All Japan has is a DVD release. Just like how Toei just release the movies on BD, they're going to want to sell the episodes on BD as well.
Dragon Ball Kai is considered to be a separate show.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pmDragon Ball Kai is considered to be a separate show.
I take issue with this specific one. Toei may consider it a separate show, but in reality most fans will see it as an edited version of Z, not a completely different anime like GT or Super.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pmIs there a changelog anywhere for which episodes were shortened for the Japanese TFC?
Supposedly, the Japanese version cut out the filler but the order is also changed. That Super Boo screenshot can be found on episode 47 preview of the TFC, while on the Majin Boo Hen (JPN Ver.) it's the 40th episode. TOEI should have just provided everyone with the 61 episode version than making it exclusive for Japan, and then everyone else had the 69 episode version.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pmDragon Ball Kai is considered to be a separate show.
I agree. I never count Dragon Ball Kai as part of Dragon Ball Z but that it's a refreshed and modern take on Dragon Ball Z.

Personally, I utterly detest the 'Z' thrown in 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' it just looks so tacky and cheap. Plus, hearing the Brazilian-Portuguese dub of TFC say "Dragon Ball Z Kai" just doesn't sound right when they used to say Dragon Ball Kai back then (01-98).

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:40 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pmThe Japanese version of Kai TFC is honestly way better in my opinion, it's 61 episodes long (rather than 69), Super Boo has red eyes and the OP/ED songs are way catchier. Can't beat Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go! :)
Is there a changelog anywhere for which episodes were shortened for the Japanese TFC?
japanese version
99-106 = 99-113 international version (with a lot of cut in japanese versions to make less episodes)
except some differrent bgm between the two versions, japanese 107-156 = international 114-163

japanese 157 is edited all along (they just few frames here and there to match international 164 but also adding few seconds of international 165 without altering episode lenght
after that japanese 158-159 = international 166 167 except some differrent bgm between the two versions and japanese 159 having db super episode 1 first episode trailer

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pmPersonally, I utterly detest the 'Z' thrown in 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' it just looks so tacky and cheap.
I like it a lot, it makes it super-clear that this show only pertains to Z, not DB or GT.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pmPersonally, I utterly detest the 'Z' thrown in 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' it just looks so tacky and cheap.
I like it a lot, it makes it super-clear that this show only pertains to Z, not DB or GT.
As long as you know what the show is about, it makes it irrelevant to add "Z" to it. Dunno who'd think Dragon Ball Kai is about Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball GT, well, maybe average consumers who don't know any better.

In that case, they see "Dragon Ball Z Kai" and could be more eager to give it a chance because they see "Dragon Ball Z".

Dragon Ball Kai title looks clean, professional and stylish, imo.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:39 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:26 amjust look at how bad Kai TFC did when it was released
Kai TFC came a little too late for people to actually care about it. Dragon Ball Kai came out in 2009 and then ended in 2011, Kai TFC came out in 2014 (and ended in 2015) so by that time most just couldn't care less.

The Japanese version of Kai TFC is honestly way better in my opinion, it's 61 episodes long (rather than 69), Super Boo has red eyes and the OP/ED songs are way catchier. Can't beat Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go! :)
Well, I mean, they corrected a continuity error by having him develop the red eyes in a creepy transition after he got hit rather than go from red to white eyes in a single frame. In my opinion, nice touch with their color corrections.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 pmIs there a changelog anywhere for which episodes were shortened for the Japanese TFC?
Supposedly, the Japanese version cut out the filler but the order is also changed. That Super Boo screenshot can be found on episode 47 preview of the TFC, while on the Majin Boo Hen (JPN Ver.) it's the 40th episode. TOEI should have just provided everyone with the 61 episode version than making it exclusive for Japan, and then everyone else had the 69 episode version.
I agree. I never count Dragon Ball Kai as part of Dragon Ball Z but that it's a refreshed and modern take on Dragon Ball Z.

Personally, I utterly detest the 'Z' thrown in 'Dragon Ball Z Kai' it just looks so tacky and cheap. Plus, hearing the Brazilian-Portuguese dub of TFC say "Dragon Ball Z Kai" just doesn't sound right when they used to say Dragon Ball Kai back then (01-98).
I'm pretty sure they only made the cuts they did to get to the meat of the story faster, seeing as Kai TFC was never supposed to air in Japan at first. It ended up working to their benefit, since they started production on Super the next year, but it was always filler so they wouldn't lose the timeslot after Toriko got cancelled. The stuff that got cut WAS mostly filler material, yes, but I honestly think it helped flesh out the early story enough but didn't bog down the pacing of the arc. It started it off on a good note. And, losing episode 166 didn't bog it down at all, since it was entirely filler & completely skippable.

As for the "Z" in the name, I actually think it makes more sense. It still coveys the same message as what the other person said the revamped title does, but also denotates what material is in the show. Otherwise people would wonder why it didn't cover the earlier DBD material as well. That's just my take, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:40 pmjapanese version
99-106 = 99-113 international version (with a lot of cut in japanese versions to make less episodes)
except some differrent bgm between the two versions, japanese 107-156 = international 114-163

japanese 157 is edited all along (they just few frames here and there to match international 164 but also adding few seconds of international 165 without altering episode lenght
after that japanese 158-159 = international 166 167 except some differrent bgm between the two versions and japanese 159 having db super episode 1 first episode trailer
I'll be honest a lot of that doesn't make sense.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 pm

If they were going to give us extra discs I'd rather them spread out the new remaster onto more discs and include all the different dubs and scores as options. Sometimes I think they don't put them on because they take up too much space on the disc, well at least for DVDs, I could be wrong though.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Episodes 99 - 113 of the International version were cut down to episodes 99 - 106 for the Japanese version.

Episodes 107 - 156 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 114 - 163 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, the biggest of which is the inclusion of the insert song "Let it Burn".

Japanese Episode 157 and International Episode 164 are mostly the same, but Japanese Episode 157 has 30 seconds of extra footage showing Goku making a wish to remove the memory of Buu from earth (This scene is take from International Episode 165, which was completely cut from the Japanese Version).

Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Episodes 99 - 113 of the International version were cut down to episodes 99 - 106 for the Japanese version.

Episodes 107 - 156 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 114 - 163 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, the biggest of which is the inclusion of the insert song "Let it Burn".

Japanese Episode 157 and International Episode 164 are mostly the same, but Japanese Episode 157 has 30 seconds of extra footage showing Goku making a wish to remove the memory of Buu from earth (This scene is take from International Episode 165, which was completely cut from the Japanese Version).

Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.
Small correction; The Super preview is more like the First Episode Preview (FEP) as it was made for DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBK. I can't remember if one exists for Kai TFC.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm
DHM211 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.
Small correction; The Super preview is more like the First Episode Preview (FEP) as it was made for DB, DBZ, DBGT, DBK. I can't remember if one exists for Kai TFC.
DHM: Oh man I LOVE that last one! Reminds me of how Dragon Ball originally ended with a NEP for Z.

@Johnny: I don't think there is one for going from Kai to TFC, but I haven't watched that in Japan so who knows!

Fun fact: Always intended to make a Kai NEP for the last episode of my T1C series, heheh.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm
DHM211 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.
DHM: Oh man I LOVE that last one! Reminds me of how Dragon Ball originally ended with a NEP for Z.

@Johnny: I don't think there is one for going from Kai to TFC, but I haven't watched that in Japan so who knows!

Fun fact: Always intended to make a Kai NEP for the last episode of my T1C series, heheh.
It's possible that a FEP of TFC exists but it's a show with so little popularity that only a few care about it and its contents.

Oh, found something similar to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXFphPVtiI