Why wasn't Raditz voiced by Masako Nozawa?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Why wasn't Raditz voiced by Masako Nozawa?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 pm

He was Son's brother and Nozawa voices every male character of the family, but Raditz was VA'd by someone else? Why?

I just looked up "Raditz Masako Nozawa" but no one seems to have done a voice edit video to show what we could have gotten. This sort of an issue could've been fixed on Kai by having Nozawa voicing him. Oh well, what a shame.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why wasn't Raditz voiced by Masako Nozawa?

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Probably because he doesn't really look like Goku at all. Every other Nozawa character bears at least a passing resemblance to the guy, if not being a near carbon copy.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 pm

They were either Goku clones or in Gohan's case an inverted "Mini-Goku".

They also probably wanted to get someone else to take on such a decidedly villainous role like Raditz. Chiba Shigeru was a good pick.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pmProbably because he doesn't really look like Goku at all. Every other Nozawa character bears at least a passing resemblance to the guy, if not being a near carbon copy.
It's a good thing too, or else I would never have picked that Tullece was meant to be an evil mirror of Goku!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 pm He was Son's brother and Nozawa voices every male character of the family, but Raditz was VA'd by someone else? Why?

I just looked up "Raditz Masako Nozawa" but no one seems to have done a voice edit video to show what we could have gotten. This sort of an issue could've been fixed on Kai by having Nozawa voicing him. Oh well, what a shame.
Probably because Nozawa voicing every male character of the family hadn't yet been set as a rule. Gohan was introduced pretty much at the same time as Raditz and it made sense for the person that previously voiced Goku as a kid to also voice his offspring. Gohan looked a lot lik Goku did, whereas Raditz doesn't remind you much of his brother. As for changing that in Kai, Raditz's VA is pretty well known too and it probably wouldn't have sat well with Z fans.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Back then Shigeru Chiba (Raditz) was Goku's nemesis as Emperor Pilaf, so it looked like a way to show viewers that DBZ would be different from DB by having a villain who had a closer connection to Goku and who was not a comedic failure.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Back then Shigeru Chiba (Raditz) was Goku's nemesis as Emperor Pilaf, so it looked like a way to show viewers that DBZ would be different from DB by having a villain who had a closer connection to Goku and who was not a comedic failure.
I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if it was intentional in any way. Would Japanese audiences even pickup on the fact that it was Chiba in both roles?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm Back then Shigeru Chiba (Raditz) was Goku's nemesis as Emperor Pilaf, so it looked like a way to show viewers that DBZ would be different from DB by having a villain who had a closer connection to Goku and who was not a comedic failure.
Hasn't noticed that yet until now.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm

It also conceals the double-whammy alien/brother twist until it's revealed - if Raditz started talking like Goku as soon as he appeared you'd know what's up. I don't think Nozawa ever voiced any other prominent characters besides Goku before that.

Of course this was probably just coincidence, as the general understanding at the time was that you had read the manga in Jump already.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 am

The Tori-bot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pm It also conceals the double-whammy alien/brother twist until it's revealed - if Raditz started talking like Goku as soon as he appeared you'd know what's up. I don't think Nozawa ever voiced any other prominent characters besides Goku before that.
I actually disagree there; the trope of Nozawa voicing every member of the male Goku lineage arguably didn't start until she had done Bardock, or Tullece. But, now that I think about it, Gohan Jr. had been introduced in that same episode, after Nozawa had spend four years playing just Goku, so that might have been a tip-off. But, to double-counter myself, Japan has never really cared about spoilers for the sake of hype.
The Tori-bot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 pmOf course this was probably just coincidence, as the general understanding at the time was that you had read the manga in Jump already.
Hm, I dunno, what was the culture of anime/manga in Japan? How many people would have been like "Yeah I watch the anime only because the filler enriches the story"?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Because Nozawa doesn't have to voice every male from Goku's family.
The real question is why Bardock wasn't voiced by Shigeru Chiba?! It would fit his personality much better.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm Because Nozawa doesn't have to voice every male from Goku's family.
The real question is why Bardock wasn't voiced by Shigeru Chiba?! It would fit his personality much better.
I don't think it would fit Bardock's design.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:04 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm Because Nozawa doesn't have to voice every male from Goku's family.
Heavy disagree. While typical "Grandma Goku" complaints are old and invalid, I can see a genuine case for Bardock, who is a much gruffer and battle-hardened character compared to Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:04 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 pm
Heavy disagree. While typical "Grandma Goku" complaints are old and invalid, I can see a genuine case for Bardock, who is a much gruffer and battle-hardened character compared to Goku.
They look exactly the same with the exception of a scar. It's just not a design I see a voice that deep and gravely (for lack of a better word) coming from.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I've always assumed it's because Raditz' identity is a plot twist and Nozawa would give it away.

I also think it's why Trunks is voiced by Takeshi Kusao instead of Ryō Horikawa.

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I actually don't mind that Raditz isn't voiced by Nozawa. I think Chiba gives a very good performance, and I do like that he was also the voice of Pilaf (it's a small connection, but one with a bit of an amusing irony to it, I feel). I can understand why some folks would want the Son family to be consistently voiced by Nozawa if she's already doing the vast majority of them, but I'm okay with the discrepancy because I think it makes more sense thematically.

Think about everyone else she voices, how she voices them, and why:

Gohan and Goten are Goku's sons, but they're not exactly like him. Gohan doesn't have the same enthusiasm or commitment towards the life of a martial artist, and Goten's a bratty kid who's more interested in messing around than training - and these differences are reflected in Nozawa's performances for the two, which are noticeably distinct from Goku's voice.

While it might a bit weird for Nozawa to voice Bardock when he's nothing like Goku beyond the appearance, it works in creating a voice that sounds somewhat familiar, but is so different that it's disturbingly unrecognizable - much like the character himself. From a perspective, I also liked the theory that having Nozawa be his voice tied the Bardock Special (which is so far removed from the main series both chronologically and tonally) back to Dragon Ball in a very distinct way.

Tullece didn't need to be voiced by Nozawa, but the point of his character was to go for an obvious 'Evil Goku' analogue, so it makes sense she'd do the performance in order to bring that idea to life vocally.

Now what about Raditz? The point of his character is to create someone who is so unlike Goku that the very idea that they could be related is both inconceivable and shocking, so that the truth of their heritage is all the more of a game-changer. With that in mind, it makes perfect sense to cast someone besides Nozawa to voice him, just to express that idea in the same way that his brutal personality and alien appearance do.