The arrogant entrance of Future Trunks and Shin to DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

The arrogant entrance of Future Trunks and Shin to DBZ

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:02 am

They both had an arrogant entrance to the series even though their character isn't like that.

Future Trunks comes from a destroyed future where almost everyone is dead but when he comes to our timeline he acts cocky when he meets Freeza and King Cold. He also had that smirk, you know. And as far as I remember, he never did it again.

Shin's occasion is even worse imo with his cocky attitude in the tournament. He is there to save the world from Majin Buu he fears so much but yet he has the courage to have that cocky attitude towards Piccolo. Why? He also had that smirk when he met Goku.

Their first appearance was out of character in my opinion.

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: The arrogant entrance of Future Trunks and Shin to DBZ

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:12 am

Toriyama is all about subverting expectations, from villains assuming smaller forms as they power up to unlikely fighters aiding the heroes at the last possible moment. With Trunks, that exchange is really meant to show just how strong he is and also emphasize the threat that loomed in the future. Trunks just dispensed with Freeza and Cold easily, yet even he's scared of Gero's creations.

With Shin, I think the point was to make it ambiguous whether or not he was a friend or foe. It also stands to reason that neither character was fully developed when they were first introduced.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am

I wouldn't call Trunks' entrance arrogant. He's sure of himself and has every reason to be. He's a Super Saiyan and far stronger than Freeza.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 pm

With Trunks, keep in mind that this was probably the first time in his life that he's been completely in control of a situation. Where he knows that he is stronger than his enemy. Why begrudge him a little fun?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm

When a new mysterious character gets introduced, the ultra confidence helps create hype - makes the new guy seem cool and important. Was appropriately used with Trunks, less so with Shin. Shin's case is especially bad since he never actually gets to show off at all and the story proceeds directly to him getting kicked around by Buu and the saiyans - but this seems to have been more a products of the author's fly by the seat of his pants writing style than planned intention; though I suspect the gag about Shin's uselessness even after fusing with Kibito shows the author was more than aware of what his role had turned into.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Well, the whole point of Shin was to show off the fact that the Saiyans had surpassed the supreme god of the universe without even realizing it (basically, AT had the complete opposite approach to divinity in DB/Z as he does now). So Shin was made out to be super confident around mortals so that he'd be knocked down a peg when he discovers what he's really dealing with.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:43 am

I don't know if that was planned, given that the author rarely plans for anything, but that is a possibility. Regardless of what the initial intention was, Shin ends up looking pretty bad. The closest thing was getting Piccolo to have cold feet when facing him but that makes his helplessness later on stick out even more.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:55 am

I'll never forget how Piccolo hyped up Supreme Kai so much only for him to never really live up to any of it. Dabura and Buu slap him around and he eventually becomes a useless gag character halfway into that very same arc.
Maron is stacked!!

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 pm

Technically, Shin thought he was really stronger than the mortals, what he realized it wasn't the real truth few episodes later.
Michsi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm When a new mysterious character gets introduced, the ultra confidence helps create hype - makes the new guy seem cool and important. Was appropriately used with Trunks, less so with Shin. Shin's case is especially bad since he never actually gets to show off at all and the story proceeds directly to him getting kicked around by Buu and the saiyans - but this seems to have been more a products of the author's fly by the seat of his pants writing style than planned intention; though I suspect the gag about Shin's uselessness even after fusing with Kibito shows the author was more than aware of what his role had turned into.
I agree with that. Making hype is also a big reason too.