Is it okay for Goku to be an divorcee?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Is it okay for Goku to be an divorcee?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am

He doesn't care either way. Chi-Chi may care, but not that much if she finds someone legitimately better than him.

His kids should be fine (Gohan is leading his own life, Goten I think can stay with Trunks).

It gives Goku the freedom to be the harem protagonist fans want him to be.

Times have changed now that anime protagonists and real-life people find divorce a more acceptable option. It's sad, definitely, but if people can be friends even after separation then it should be okay. (This is done with all respect to divorced people)
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is it okay for Goku to be an divorcee?

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 pm

I never imagined that, and I don't think Chichi would be fine. She didn't dated anyone else in the 7 years Goku was dead. Why would she do that now?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:21 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 pm I never imagined that, and I don't think Chichi would be fine. She didn't dated anyone else in the 7 years Goku was dead. Why would she do that now?
She loves him so dearly that even death doesn't tear them apart.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:47 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:21 pm
SaintEvolution wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 pm I never imagined that, and I don't think Chichi would be fine. She didn't dated anyone else in the 7 years Goku was dead. Why would she do that now?
She loves him so dearly that even death doesn't tear them apart.
Yes, like before Goku comes back for the 25th Budokai for instance when she gushed so much over seeing him for the first time in seven years.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:41 pm

I wouldn't want it. Goku is supposed to be pure hearted, and part of that involves living up to his promises to Chi Chi. And the two, do care for each other, despite their lack of always being on the same wavelength.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am

It gives Goku the freedom to be the harem protagonist fans want him to be.
Fans want a guy who has zero interest in sex and romance to be a harem protagonist?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm

You know, I'm not sure I buy Goku and Chichi actually having legally signed any paperwork. I also don't buy that they saw their union as also a symbolic one with Kami-sama. Which means.....are they actually married in any meaningful sense, such that the concept of divorce would even be applicable?

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Goku wouldn't care, but Chi-chi would be heart broken.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Naw, Gokuu and Chi-Chi would never leave each other.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:29 pm

In what world do people want Goku to have a harem? What a silly thing to say.

He loves Chichi, and Chichi loves him. Any of the other girls (U6 Saiyans) dont even deserve a second glance.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

This is easily one of the absolute dumbest threads on this forum. And there've been some doozies before.

And no, "Goku should be a harem protagonist" has literally NEVER been a thing, anywhere, ever.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm This is easily one of the absolute dumbest threads on this forum. And there've been some doozies before.

And no, "Goku should be a harem protagonist" has literally NEVER been a thing, anywhere, ever.
Thank you. I’ve got no idea where that came from :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Pre-Resurrection F Goku would definitely care (but not in his feelings about it).

Goku nowadays probably wouldn't even know what a divorce is.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:28 am

Ok i took a look at the OP's post and laughed, because really what is the point of this thread as i couldn't make heads or tails of it? Like Goku would even know what a divorce is when he didn't understand the meaning of marriage due to his isolation as a kid from the majority of society. The whole harem protagonist thing got me even more, because that makes absolutely no freakin' sense at all.

And another thing, we don't even know how exactly is it is that marriages including Goku and Chi-Chi's are set up in the Dragon Ball world. They may just as likely have an entirely different equivalent from our own real life version of the concept as far as that goes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm Pre-Resurrection F Goku would definitely care (but not in his feelings about it).

Bruh...
You might just be confusing FUNimation-Goku for Goku-Goku here.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 am

My take on Goku's feelings towards Chi-Chi are more charitable than the average. Do I think he's a lovestruck romantic? No, definitely definitely not. Do I think he holds any romantic feelings for her at all? Maybe, maybe not (though I'm leaning closer towards 'not'). Do I think he has any sexual feelings for her? Ignoring the 'Goku has never kissed Chi-Chi' line from Dragon Ball Super because it's dumb, I would lean towards yes. Gohan and Goten do exist after all, and though this is just pure speculation, Saiyans do seem to get the most enjoyment out of physical, sensory pleasures - Goku having loved both fighting and food his entire life.

Regardless of the answers to the above, though, one thing that Goku does understand is family thanks to his being raised by Grandpa Gohan. One of the exceedingly few things that Goku understands at the beginning of the series is family; that's actually something that contributes a bit to how feral, wild, and animalistic he comes across during the time we see him as a 12 year old - the fact that one of the only things he has any true grasp on is something so primal and basic.

Basically, I think that Goku views Chi-Chi as a best friend and a family member that he enjoys having sex with. Their dysfunction and incompatibility is given focus during their screentime together, but I do think that he's very close to her. The fact that Goku tells Gohan to let Chi-Chi know that he's sorry before sacrificing himself to kill Cell shows that he does understand the role of 'husband' on some level (even if it's doubtful that he feels much in the way of any romantic feelings himself), and he also promises to visit Chi-Chi sometimes before leaving with Uub despite making no such promises to any of his friends - again, acknowledgement that he owes his wife some attention and some time spent together. It's also worth mentioning that he spends more time around Chi-Chi than any other single person in his entire life. By the time of the 28th Budokai, they have spent 18 years together day in and day out (five years after the 23rd Budokai, three years before the Android arc, ten years after Buu). A far cry from the 30-something days that he spends with Krillin after their training with Roshi is finished.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 amYou might just be confusing FUNimation-Goku for Goku-Goku here.
Or he's mixing it up possibly with stuff he reads from Twitter/Tumblr and thinks it's genuine. Since when did Toyama ever say divorce would be fine for Gokou and Chichi would be fine? Hm.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm Pre-Resurrection F Goku would definitely care (but not in his feelings about it).

Bruh...
You might just be confusing FUNimation-Goku for Goku-Goku here.
The dub has nothing to do with it. It’s perfectly plausible that he learned what it was over the years.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:06 am

Harem protagonist Goku doesn’t even make sense as a premise. I mean, who’d be in his harem anyway? Plus Goku wouldn’t get awkward and flustered the way they do in those kind of shows, so it’s kinda dumb anyway you slice it.

That said, I’ve mentioned before that it’d be funny if they did a filler episode or two where Goku agrees to train Caulifla and even lets her stay at the Son residence. All the while he’s completely oblivious to why Chichi would ever have an issue with a beautiful young Saiyan woman living in their household.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you all for your comments.
ruler9871 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:02 pm Goku wouldn't care, but Chi-chi would be heart broken.
So on the whole, even if Goku doesn't care about marriage, he cares enough about Chi-Chi that he doesn't want her to be hurt. While more romantic moments would be welcome IMO, there were enough moments in the story for them to stay together. That sounds fair I guess.

Dr. Casey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 am Basically, I think that Goku views Chi-Chi as a best friend and a family member that he enjoys having sex with. Their dysfunction and incompatibility is given focus during their screentime together, but I do think that he's very close to her. The fact that Goku tells Gohan to let Chi-Chi know that he's sorry before sacrificing himself to kill Cell shows that he does understand the role of 'husband' on some level (even if it's doubtful that he feels much in the way of any romantic feelings himself), and he also promises to visit Chi-Chi sometimes before leaving with Uub despite making no such promises to any of his friends - again, acknowledgement that he owes his wife some attention and some time spent together. It's also worth mentioning that he spends more time around Chi-Chi than any other single person in his entire life. By the time of the 28th Budokai, they have spent 18 years together day in and day out (five years after the 23rd Budokai, three years before the Android arc, ten years after Buu). A far cry from the 30-something days that he spends with Krillin after their training with Roshi is finished.
:clap: :thumbup: That's maybe the best analysis of Goku and Chi-Chi's relationship I've heard so far.

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:29 pm In what world do people want Goku to have a harem? What a silly thing to say.
People were saying Goku should be with a Saiyan woman (or all the Universe 6 Saiyan women), it was partly shipping and partly criticism of Chi-Chi.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.