Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:15 pm

I get you all are using examples of great, memorable performances that were recast, but with the exception of Lazenby, the replacements were all great actors in their own right. Not only are Vic's performances not great, they won't have a hard time finding someone of commensurate talent to take over.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:27 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:15 pm I get you all are using examples of great, memorable performances that were recast, but with the exception of Lazenby, the replacements were all great actors in their own right. Not only are Vic's performances not great, they won't have a hard time finding someone of commensurate talent to take over.

I mean my point is I agree with you. Vic’s performances are nothing special.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Finding a passable VA replacement for Broly shouldn't be hard. Liam O'Brien would be great.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm Finding a passable VA replacement for Broly shouldn't be hard. Liam O'Brien would be great.
Literally get any male voice actor that doesn’t suck and he will give just as good a performance as Broly if not better.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:19 pmNah, that's got nothing to do with anything regarding this Mignogna stuff. It was already announced last month that the release schedule for season 2 is going to be a whooooole lot slower than season 1's, and going forward they'll only be dropping one character at a time instead of two.

As of now, the FighterZ DLC release schedule is:

Broli (DB Super): May 31st
Gogeta (SSJ Blue): July 31st
DLC Fighter 3: September 30th
DLC Fighter 4: November 30th

Pretty excruciatingly slow drip-drop release schedule if you ask me. :eh: :problem:
That's stupid-strange, especially when Xenoverse seems to drop new characters every fortnight. That's leaving some serious potential on the table, unless they plan to do a sequel where it includes all previous characters maybe???

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Strong disagree here. Vic's Broly was good. He's a really talented voice actor. That's the whole reason he's been able to get away with this stuff for a decade; he's good enough that they wanna keep him around despite controversies.

I think there's plenty of good replacement options out there for him, but let's not pretend he wasn't a good VA. He's a shitty human being, shouldn't be allowed back into spaces with vulnerable people, preferably shouldn't be allowed to be in a space where he has to work with women again (which is pretty much everywhere)... but also a good VA.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pm Literally get any male voice actor that doesn’t suck and he will give just as good a performance as Broly if not better.
Well ideally you'd also want someone that matches Shimada and the character somewhat vocally.
TKA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:52 pm Strong disagree here. Vic's Broly was good. He's a really talented voice actor. That's the whole reason he's been able to get away with this stuff for a decade; he's good enough that they wanna keep him around despite controversies.

I think there's plenty of good replacement options out there for him, but let's not pretend he wasn't a good VA. He's a shitty human being, shouldn't be allowed back into spaces with vulnerable people, preferably shouldn't be allowed to be in a space where he has to work with women again (which is pretty much everywhere)... but also a good VA.
That's super subjective. Personally I thought his Broly was robotic and stiff in quieter scenes and downright embarrassing whenever he had to scream. I didn't notice it until the last trailer with the movie 8 pose where they literally had to loop his unenthusiastic scream, it's really bad.

I actually really like his Edward Elric, but I have never enjoyed his Broly. Haven't heard him as Sabo yet, since I don't really watch the One Piece movies (or much of the anime, outside of the One Pace edits), so I dunno if he's any good there. I should really get back to JoJo and see if he's just straight-up gone downhill in general, since he's Rohan in Part 4.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:40 pm

I’m sure his Edward is really good if I had any desire to watch FMA.

His Broly? Well the role doesn’t require a lot of talent other than screaming. There’s nothing about his performance that makes me think “Wow nobody else can play Broly. There is only one English Broly”

I mean, much as I think Schemmel’s Goku is overrated AF and Schemmel as a person tends to rub me the wrong way if he had to be replaced I’d at least be yeah that’s gonna be a tough act for someone to follow although that’s more Schemmel’s long tenure in English as Goku more than anything.

But if they redubbed Mignogna’s Broly with a guy who sounded “eh close enough”? I doubt the average fan would care or notice a difference

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Nothing about his performance as Broly stands out.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 pm

I thought he did a rather good job as Broly during the quieter scenes, and even a lot of his screaming scenes carried the nuance of a tortured character. I don't think there should be any questioning that, at the very least, Vic took the role very seriously.

With that said, I doubt it'd be hard to replace him.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:03 am

Marlowe89 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 pm I thought he did a rather good job as Broly during the quieter scenes, and even a lot of his screaming scenes carried the nuance of a tortured character. I don't think there should be any questioning that, at the very least, Vic took the role very seriously.

With that said, I doubt it'd be hard to replace him.
Agreed, I thought he did the job well in scenes where, for example, he's talking about Bah.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 am

Broly hardly has the kind of depth that necessitates an especially emotive voice actor. Which is fine for presentation purposes, but anyone who voices him will likely be replaceable unless their voice just uncannily melds itself into Broly's image.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:08 am

I always found his Edward too high-pitched and too old. That's just me, though. I'm too biased to Romi Park.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 am

They should just hire someone from TFS to voice Broly...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:54 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 am They should just hire someone from TFS to voice Broly...
Oh my god.

"It would be a shame for someone so amazing to die on this planet. Then who would I train against?"

"Probably someone with a really big power level."
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 am

The next Broly VA needs to understand how to build up a sound like Vic does. I appreciate how when acting out this role he would subtly raise the strength in his voice which made it greater than just exploding.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 am They should just hire someone from TFS to voice Broly...
Ew. No thank you.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 am

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm
That's super subjective.
I absolutely agree that it is subjective.

But I think we can all agree that companies had to be keeping him around for a reason, despite the rumors and accusations.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 am

TKA wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 am
Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm
That's super subjective.
I absolutely agree that it is subjective.

But I think we can all agree that companies had to be keeping him around for a reason, despite the rumors and accusations.
Most likely due to his (bizarre) rabid fanbase. And even then most dub fans like these VAs because they voice the characters they like rather then any actual talent. I mean, Sean Schemmel is WORSHIPPED by the US Dragon Ball fanbase just because he’s the guy who got lucky enough to voice Goku in 1999.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 am Most likely due to his (bizarre) rabid fanbase.
I highly doubt that's why. A plus, certainly, but many people have large followings but aren't given opportunities. The guy was good at his job.
I mean, Sean Schemmel is WORSHIPPED by the US Dragon Ball fanbase just because he’s the guy who got lucky enough to voice Goku in 1999.
Sean Schemmel is also a very talented voice actor with incredible vocal range. I don't like how he conducts himself in public, and don't care for his personality either, but he too is good at his job.

And this worshiping sure didn't shield him from getting attacked by the #StandWithVic people.

Addendum: Anyway, I don't think this is a discussion that should be happening in this thread, given the nature of what it is.