Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Well if he'd removed footage then it would need to be placed differently, right?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, up to E047 Complete], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am

MistaL wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:39 pm Why not just use the already existing Yamamoto Revivial edit by SuperSaiyanHedgehog? I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm Well if he'd removed footage then it would need to be placed differently, right?
Actually, no, not really. Since this is a dual-audio project, I'm forced to edit around the Japanese music cues, so the placements remain the same. However, when I make a cut in the middle of a piece of music, I often need to play with the separate 5.1 elements to properly make it work for the English track, and I sometimes use those same elements for help with the Japanese track as well. Basically, using the 5.1 audio allows for more editing freedom than SuperSaiyanHedgehog's stereo track.

More than anything, though, I chose to do it myself because I'm happier using my own mix.

In any case, I only have four episodes left to go, so it's kind of a moot point.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Oh, wow. I had no idea you were that far along when the previous release was so recent. That's really exciting.

PrincessJapanese

Post by PrincessJapanese » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

MilkMan, I'm wondering if you're going to be able to pull off the miracle I've been waiting for someone to do?

The miracle being a Japanese Dub Yamamoto scored 96 , 97, and 98.

I know the Japanese audio is only available in stereo making it very difficult to edit versus the English audio which is 5.1.

But it's so jarring to go from episode 95 with Yamamoto where Goku sacrifices himself to Gohan putting the final blow on Cell in episode 96 with Kikuchi. It's so inconsistent and genuinely ruins watching the Cell saga in Kai for me. Because then I have to choose between listening to a different composer for the final three episodes or switching to English and hearing a completely different voice set than I have been listening to for the previous 95 episodes and then switching back to Japanese for Boo.

A long time ago on Kametsu, I saw someone actually make a Yamamoto Japanese score for 96, 97, and 98. But I was never able to download that before the links went offline so I never knew if it was possible or not. And I've never been able to find anyone attempt to try again since.
Hell no one ever edits the Japanese footage either. Every manga or soundtrack edit here on Kanzen is English Dub only. Your like the only one who even attempts to edit the Japanese.

If I had Yamamoto for 96, 97, 98 and uncropped Boo Kai then I would be in heaven.
Your Dragon Ball Recut, Dragon Ball Kai Recut [Saiyan to Cell], and Dragon Ball Z Recut [Boo] would be the definitive way to watch Dragon Ball for me at least.

If you read this far thank you for listening to my Japanese/Yamamoto love rant! lol

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 pm Oh, wow. I had no idea you were that far along when the previous release was so recent. That's really exciting.
Oh yeah, I'm cruisin'. I already had the bulk of the episodes edited, that's why I'm able to move so quickly through them right now. Still have to put the finishing touches on everything, but it shouldn't be much longer.

PrincessJapanese wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm MilkMan, I'm wondering if you're going to be able to pull off the miracle I've been waiting for someone to do?

The miracle being a Japanese Dub Yamamoto scored 96 , 97, and 98.
I'd love to, but I face the same problems that everyone else faces on that front. It's very difficult to properly isolate the Japanese dialog from the score. That said, I do have one idea that might work. It's a long shot, but I'm going to at least try. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Speaking of which, would anybody happen to have a list of kei17's Yamamoto placements that he put together for the last three episodes some time ago? I'll take a look at SuperSaiyanHedgehog's placements as well, but I'd really like to know what kei17 chose.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 am

I was thinking of your planned Z recut. I think the entirety of the Fake Namek stuff can be cut without issue, but I suspect at least part of the Space Orphans stuff has to stay as it's mentioned when Bulma/Krillin/Gohan sees the real planet Namek.

Can it be trimmed at all, or will it have to remain in its entirety? At the very least can you cut out the bit where random unaligned fighters attack our heroes and Bulma shoots them down? I've always hated that scene.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

AustNerevar

Post by AustNerevar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 am I was thinking of your planned Z recut. I think the entirety of the Fake Namek stuff can be cut without issue, but I suspect at least part of the Space Orphans stuff has to stay as it's mentioned when Bulma/Krillin/Gohan sees the real planet Namek.
He said he was planning on using voice acting from Kai, so that would likely be a non issue.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm

I'm talking about the Japanese audio here. Regardless, using both Z and Kai audio is going to be conspicuous no matter what you do. The best sources we have are Japanese are of questionable legality, and even then they're stuck in mono, while the Kai audio is of much higher audio quality (if not acting quality) and in Stereo. As for Z, such a hybrid would only work for ep 1-67. Try to use it after ep 67 and you'll end up with an inconsistent mess worse than the already inconsistent remastered dub.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 am I was thinking of your planned Z recut. I think the entirety of the Fake Namek stuff can be cut without issue, but I suspect at least part of the Space Orphans stuff has to stay as it's mentioned when Bulma/Krillin/Gohan sees the real planet Namek.

Can it be trimmed at all, or will it have to remain in its entirety? At the very least can you cut out the bit where random unaligned fighters attack our heroes and Bulma shoots them down? I've always hated that scene.
I will cut anything that I'm able to that wasn't in the manga. That's been the rule since day one and it will continue to be so. I won't know what I'll be able to do exactly until I encounter it, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 am

Doesn't Cell/Cell Jr use the Makankosappo later on? Isn't it Special Beam Cannon in the dub? How are you going to magic together audio of them saying Makankosappo for consistency? Wouldn't it have been easier to wisk together the NickToons versions of the Makankosappo against Raditz?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am

TheAldella wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 am Doesn't Cell/Cell Jr use the Makankosappo later on? Isn't it Special Beam Cannon in the dub? How are you going to magic together audio of them saying Makankosappo for consistency? Wouldn't it have been easier to wisk together the NickToons versions of the Makankosappo against Raditz?
While I've absolutely had to "magic together" audio a few times while working on this project, the bit you're referring to never happens in the manga, so I cut it out, which solves that problem entirely. All attack names remain consistent throughout my edit.

Speaking of the NickToons versions, I don't have them! But they sure would have come in handy when reverting every instance of Krillin's "Taiyo-Ken" to "Solar Flare" for consistency's sake. -_-

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am
TheAldella wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 am Doesn't Cell/Cell Jr use the Makankosappo later on? Isn't it Special Beam Cannon in the dub? How are you going to magic together audio of them saying Makankosappo for consistency? Wouldn't it have been easier to wisk together the NickToons versions of the Makankosappo against Raditz?
While I've absolutely had to "magic together" audio a few times while working on this project, the bit you're referring to never happens in the manga, so I cut it out, which solves that problem entirely. All attack names remain consistent throughout my edit.

Speaking of the NickToons versions, I don't have them! But they sure would have come in handy when reverting every instance of Krillin's "Taiyo-Ken" to "Solar Flare" for consistency's sake. -_-
Then my concerns are all taken care of, it seems. Also LOL i figured that's what you had done for the krillin stuff - that's impressive that you did it without using those
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

BeerusTrinken

Post by BeerusTrinken » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Okay. It is time I sat down and wrote an actual response to this thread. Long time lurker and forgetter of passwords, here.

I stumbled upon Dragon Ball Recut back in 2016. Though I own the full series on DVD, this is now my go-to version for the show and for introducing others. Thank you so, so much.

From an editing perspective, it is extremely, extremely tight. Your understanding of pacing, as well as tension is perfect and suits wonderfully. I watched DBRecut in Japanese only so cannot say for how the English dub fares but everything flowed exceedingly smoothly. I do recall once or twice noticing a tiny jump in cuts but they were marginal, if it bothers you I can check but I really wouldn't pay it any mind. It was literally once or twice.

Your editing as not only provided me with a concise way to rewatch my favourite era of the show, but has also helped make new fans. Friends and partners of mine who wanted to watch but were dubious about the original show's length have found real joy in watching your version. I know it must have taken forever and a half, but I really appreciate the work you have done here.

For the past year or so I have slunk back to forum to check on your progress and I am very happy to hear you are closing in. This is a mammoth of a task and I hope it hasn't been too overwhelming. I am really grateful for the effort and time you've put in and am looking forward to getting to watch the entire story again through your edits.

Thanks again, dude. You've done this fandom a service ^^

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 am Regarding Dragon Ball Z Recut:
With the recent remastering of the films, and rumors from somewhat reliable sources(?) about the original series being remastered as well, I'm starting to suspect that Toei may actually release Z in proper HD in the near future. If that is indeed the case, I will be using that HD footage along with the original broadcast audio that is widely available for the Japanese track.
Sooooooooooooo I guess we'll just be getting Dragon Box Z footage now instead? Considering today's news disaster.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Kai Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:22 am

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 am Regarding Dragon Ball Z Recut:
With the recent remastering of the films, and rumors from somewhat reliable sources(?) about the original series being remastered as well, I'm starting to suspect that Toei may actually release Z in proper HD in the near future. If that is indeed the case, I will be using that HD footage along with the original broadcast audio that is widely available for the Japanese track.
Sooooooooooooo I guess we'll just be getting Dragon Box Z footage now instead? Considering today's news disaster.
Wait at least for a confirmation on the trailer being accurate of the final product.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm

BeerusTrinken wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm Okay. It is time I sat down and wrote an actual response to this thread. Long time lurker and forgetter of passwords, here.

I stumbled upon Dragon Ball Recut back in 2016. Though I own the full series on DVD, this is now my go-to version for the show and for introducing others. Thank you so, so much.

From an editing perspective, it is extremely, extremely tight. Your understanding of pacing, as well as tension is perfect and suits wonderfully. I watched DBRecut in Japanese only so cannot say for how the English dub fares but everything flowed exceedingly smoothly. I do recall once or twice noticing a tiny jump in cuts but they were marginal, if it bothers you I can check but I really wouldn't pay it any mind. It was literally once or twice.

Your editing as not only provided me with a concise way to rewatch my favourite era of the show, but has also helped make new fans. Friends and partners of mine who wanted to watch but were dubious about the original show's length have found real joy in watching your version. I know it must have taken forever and a half, but I really appreciate the work you have done here.

For the past year or so I have slunk back to forum to check on your progress and I am very happy to hear you are closing in. This is a mammoth of a task and I hope it hasn't been too overwhelming. I am really grateful for the effort and time you've put in and am looking forward to getting to watch the entire story again through your edits.

Thanks again, dude. You've done this fandom a service ^^
Thank you so, so much for your kind words. Hearing things like this from you and other fans really means a lot to me. I primarily started these projects for myself because it's how I personally want to experience the anime, but seeing how well DB Recut's been received by the fanbase has been truly rewarding. Outside of my own personal enjoyment, I really did hope that it would be able to bring in new fans who otherwise wouldn't have bothered with the too often overlooked original series. Hearing that it's been able to achieve that, even just a little bit, really makes it all worth it.

This is definitely a labor of love, and while I do enjoy the editing for the most part, words of support and encouragement like yours really help me get through the rough parts. Thank you. I will continue to do my best.
BeerusTrinken wrote:I do recall once or twice noticing a tiny jump in cuts but they were marginal, if it bothers you I can check but I really wouldn't pay it any mind. It was literally once or twice.
If it's not too much trouble and you remember where they were, then yes, by all means I'd love to be able to go back and try to smooth them out! Alternatively, if they were cuts that I couldn't make any better than I did, I also wouldn't mind explaining my reasons for why. I do enjoy talking about this stuff.
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pmSooooooooooooo I guess we'll just be getting Dragon Box Z footage now instead? Considering today's news disaster.
Yeah, pretty much. I'll probably also try putting out an HD version that utilizes as much non-redrawn Kai footage as possible, but we'll see how I feel when the time comes.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the Android/Cell arc of Kai right now, should have it done within the next few days. I know there seems to be comparatively little interest in the Kai Recut, but I'm really proud of what I've been able to do with it so far and am excited to hear what people think.

On a less positive note, I recently learned that, because of their very strict rules against piracy on r/dbz, even mentioning that my edit is a thing that exists in the world is enough to get your comment deleted. It's a real bummer because I always enjoyed running into the odd comment here and there about Recut, and it sucks to learn that that's now prohibited. However, I understand that it's a bit of a gray area, and I will respect the moderators' decisions and their right to run things the way they see fit. In the meantime, I will retain my right to be very, very sad about it.

On that note, I would like to extend another thank you to the staff here at Kanzenshuu for allowing me the opportunity to be able to freely discuss my passion projects here among fellow fans of the franchise. You are all so very wonderful.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Awesome. Hey, I'm interested in Kai Recut too, but Z Recut just a lot more so (mainly to have a more watchable version of the show that has the original Japanese voice acting and music). Thank you for all your work!

And that does suck about Reddit. I've run into comments about it quite frequently too, never heard a bad thing about it. I can't wait to hear the joyous cries when all 3 of these are completed. Gives us a light in the darkness that is FUNi and Toei's business practices.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 pm

In the Dragon Box footage version of the Boo Saga, are you going to make Super Boo's eyes red consistently like Toriyama intended, or just have them suddenly turn red as they do in the anime? And for the Kai footage version, are you going to use the Japanese version that has his eyes red from the start, or the international version that has them fade to red later on?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Dragon Ball Kai Recut episodes 048-082 (Android/Cell arc) are now complete.
  • Dual Audio, English and Japanese
  • Yamamoto score for the entirety of the English dub and Japanese 048-080, Shunsuke Kikuchi for Japanese 081-082
  • TOTAL AMOUNT OF SHOW FOOTAGE CUT FROM FIRST 82 (Originally 98) EPISODES: 4 hours, 26 minutes, 47 seconds
Whew! Finally. I had been sitting on rough edits of these for around two years, so it feels really good to finally complete them.

DISCLAIMER: I get the feeling that, unlike the original Dragon Ball Recut, fans are going to be far more critical of the cuts I make in Kai and Z because, as a whole, people are much more familiar with and attached to the Z material and, by extension, a lot of its filler. Please keep in mind, though, that my main objective with these edits is to mirror the manga as closely as possible, so try not to get upset when I cut out your favorite bits of filler or change a sequence of events in order to more closely follow the manga, as that is the entire point of this project. If that tends to bother you, then perhaps these re-edits aren't for you.

Notable Cuts/Alterations:

English Dub fixes/alterations of note:

Dub lines I really wanted to fix but couldn't:

About the score:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Exciting update. Your disclaimer IS what excites me, cut all the filler ya can, friend! Can't wait for Z Recut, as I value the original voices and score placements over all else. But I'm a bit overdue for a dub re-watch, so Kai should hit the spot. Could you PM me by chance?