Is Dragon Ball Your Favorite Anime Ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball Your Favorite Anime Ever?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:My favorite anime is probably Spice and Wolf. Not sure what genre that is; I don't think that "wolf girl and the medieval merchant economy" is typical Shonen fare, but hey, Japan.
Spice and Wolf is considered Seinen I believe.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:My favorite anime is probably Spice and Wolf.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 am

I actually have quite an eclectic taste when it comes to anime and manga. I like fighting shonen series, romance, slice of life, sci-fi, magical girl, psychological/mindfuck series, comedy, seinen, etc.

Of course in each of those categories there are many examples that I don't like (for example I can't stand Naruto... don't crucify me lol).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Not really. This is largely because, despite being a fan of the series for nearly 11 years (good lord), I haven't watched all that much of the various TV shows. I never had any of the TV stations that aired the show and there wasn't a proper home release made for the UK/Ireland area until the Orange Boxes were brought over in 2012, and I have a really bad habit of not checking out media unless I'm particularly curious or motivated enough to do so by what tends to be a random whim (I've had the entirety of RahXephon on DVD for six months now, but I still haven't bothered to watch it). I've watched roughly 30-odd episodes of Z over the years and little else, but I would like to properly sit down and watch the original TV run at some point.

What I've watched of Z and various clips of the original series looks really cool in terms of how it uses direction and pacing to flesh out the fantasy martial arts vibe in ways the manga can't by the very nature of its medium (a vibe that's truly fascinated me since reading Kunzait's Wuxia thread and Derek Padula's Dragon Ball Culture books), and I'm very curious to see how GT turned out. As for Super, I don't particularly care for it beyond the animation production side of things.

If we're going down the path of discussing favourite anime in general, I may as well put in what few I have, which largely stems from that same lack of desire to go check stuff out:

TV Shows:

Neon Genesis Evangelion (an incredible series that actually changed my life for the better in countless ways; I don't really need to go into it too much because it's Evangelion)

Heidi, Girl of the Alps (an adaptation of the children's book directed by Isao Takahata; yes, THAT Isao Takahata; an impeccably well directed series that shows much more knowledge and understanding in its use of cinematic techniques than would normally expected for a TV show from the 70s, and still fares much better than countless shows made decades later)

Films:

End of Evangelion (the conclusion to the Evangelion TV series, and features some of the best of the show's various shining qualities)

Dead Leaves (a film full of ridiculous gunfights and outrageous characters, punctuated by a unique comic-book aesthetic that makes it feel like you're reading an obscure punk gem from deep within the bowels of your local library - also, I honestly think the English dub for this film is the perfect dub for any anime, and is absolutely worth checking out)

Perfect Blue (Kunzait and Masenko have talked about it already, but I'll happily recommend it too!)

Tokyo Godfathers (a Christmas film about three homeless people taking care of an abandoned baby that's at once hilariously dark and cheerfully heartwarming; it also contains the best character acting out of any of Satoshi Kon's films and is a must if character acting is an area of animation you appreciate!)

Gauche the Cellist (an adaptation of the Kenji Miyazawa short story about a man who inadvertently learns to become a better cellist through his nightly interactions with random animals; it's directed by Isao Takahata, and features very expressive animation - which is largely done by one key animator! - lovely painted backgrounds, and many great sequences that show how music affects the various characters)

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (a stand-alone film based on the series of puzzle-solving games for the DS where the titular professor and his assistant Luke attempt to solve a very strange mystery concerning a plan to grant someone with eternal life; it's not as excellent as the other films, but it does hold a special place in my heart and is a genuinely entertaining film with wonderful music)

OVAs:

Oruorane the Cat Player/Neko Hibi no Oruorane (a very charming, cosy OVA from 1992 about a young musician and his encounters with an old man who can play music through a trio of cats; the music is fantastic, the art direction is gorgeous and features an inspired shift in animation style at one point, and features a more abstract but equally stunning take on the power of music that Gauche the Cellist displayed)

What's Michael? (a 1985 OVA based on the gag manga of the same name, which adapts various short stories about the absurd adventures of a ginger cat and his various owners; despite being a series of simple comedy shorts, they're remarkably well directed with a use of colour, timing, and animation quality that make everything way more hilarious than you'd think)

---

I think I'm in the same boat as Masenko for checking more stuff out, but I need the motivation to go and do so. Hopefully, I'll try muster up something in the next few weeks.

On a side note, I like how obscure a lot of Oniman's favourites are (at least to my knowledge); it helped me find out a few more things, and even showed me that I'd spelt Kazuto Nakazawa's name wrong in a project I was working on, so thanks for that!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Pre 15 years old me would have said yes. Now adult 23 years old me will say not at all, not even close, at best it would rank somewhere in the top#100 but outside the top #50 for me.

There's just so much anime that's overall more consistent and digestible than Dragon Ball has ever been.

At the moment my favourite anime ever would be Kyousogiga (2013).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Nope, not even close. I'm glad to be a fan of Dragon Ball because the series did help me discover other anime & manga titles and even some movie titles thanks to it. However, I like way other anime and manga titles over Dragon Ball. Anime titles such as Devilman, The Guyver, Perfect Blue, Urotsukidoji, Bastard!!, Wicked City, The Tatami Galaxy, Paranoia Agent, Kaiji, Fist of the North Star, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Violence Jack, Angel Cop, Genocyber, Demon City Shinjuku, Lone Wolf & Cub, Ichi the Killer, Ninja Scroll, Parasyte, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lady Snowblood, Dominion Tank Police, Vampire Hunter D, Redline, Gunbuster, Tiger & Bunny, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke,Crying Freeman, Paprika, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, Kemonozume, Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats, Ghost in the Shell, 20th Century Boys, Mind Game, Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!, Apocalypse Zero, Space Adventure Cobra, Getter Robo Armageddon, and several others are anime and manga that I enjoy over Dragon Ball.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 pm

I've watched, like, four or five anime productions in my life, only two of which were Shonen (including this one). So I can't really answer that question.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I've watched, like, four or five anime productions in my life, only two of which were Shonen (including this one). So I can't really answer that question.
What were the other four? Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:I've watched, like, four or five anime productions in my life, only two of which were Shonen (including this one). So I can't really answer that question.
What were the other four? Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai and Dragon Ball Super?
Dragon Ball (I just lumped them all together as one thing), Akira, Cowboy Bepop, One Punch Man, sort of Grave of the Fireflies (as in I watched it for an extra credit assignment back in high school and was only half paying attention). That's the totality of my anime viewing experience.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: A few more great vintage Giallo movies to check out:

Opera
Deep Red
Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka A Bay of Blood)
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Short Night of Glass Dolls
The New York Ripper
Stage Fright
A Blade in the Dark
Tenebre
Don't Torture a Duckling
Spasmo, Eyeball, All the Colors of the Dark, and Torso are also some noteworthy ones too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

Dragon Ball is unequivocally, hands-down my favorite. There are others that I'm a huge fan of, such as Cowboy Bebop and Death Note. But, Dragon Ball is king for me.

That's not to say that it's the best written or has the best animation or has the best anything. But it has widdled out a spot in my heart forever due to when I discovered it. I have so much nostalgia attached to the series, that it will never be replaced.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:48 am

Dragon Ball may not be some Best written work but it's my Favorite anime series. I am not too fond of Modern Dragon Ball but the original trilogy does hold up very well to me. Some of the later mangas or mangas at its time may have better writing but i still enjoy Dragon Ball over them. So yea, it's personal favourite of mine.
Real reasons: Toriyama’s adept storytelling/characterization, Toriyama's wise/smart writing of infusing both NON-stereotypical attributes & unique designs, unique balance of self-aware comedy and emotionally engaging narrative, innovation, successfully promoting a lust for living. And that’s just the manga. There’s incredible voice acting in Japanese, top tier music/editing. I like Naruto. But in 2012 i have seen many give up on naruto after the shitty twist in chapter 599/600 of Tobi being Obito and many other things, it's shitty reception after rushed ending. That’s the anthisesis of good/engaging writing. While kids all over were compelled to fishish DB/Z and (most) are well into Dbs. Good narration isn’t about plot. People talk about Dragon Ball being basic, the “Bare bones” criticism of its story is a compliment, because Toriyama is a genius at keeping things simple, yet still emotionally engaging. That’s why it’s the undisputed king of Shonen. His story is more than straight cause and effect narrative. It’s characterization, shifts in tone, skillful manipulation of audience’s expectations. Toriyama is one of the most innovative and creative Shonen writers.There’s a reason it resonates with all ages (even adults), and the other with pre-teens at best. Adults can sniff pretentious/pseudo philosophy in a second. And overly-complex/interwoven content doesn’t mean better storytelling. And that’s where Toriyama excels.
MajinMan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
There is a lot of anime out there. Like... A LOT. And while Dragon Ball is a good story for what it is, for a medium like anime, that has spanned several decades and produced thousands of stories, if you've been exposed to a sizable portion of what anime in general has provided, you will find many, and I do mean MANY, shows which objectively kick Dragon Ball's ass in every area (animation, writing, directing, musical score, voice acting etc.)

This not a knock against what Dragon Ball provides. It's a wonderfully, whimsical, fantasy martial arts tale, that succeeds immensely in what it wants to achieve. But there is so much other anime out there that have done what Dragon Ball has done -- before it's time, during it's time and after its time -- and have done it better.

You owe it really to yourself to dip your toes into other kinds of anime that are available and widen your horizon. It's only then that you'll realize that there is so much better shit in the anime genre that what Dragon Ball was/is pumping out. I mean, by your own admission, you haven't watched a lot of of anime, while others (myself included) have. Hence, despite people saying they like Dragon Ball, you see comments like “it’s not even in my top 50 or 100 anime,”.

Dragon Ball is good. But there is SO much stuff better than it. And you don't have to look far to find it. But that doesn't negate the fact that, yes, Dragon Ball is good. Just because some people think it's not the best or among the best, doesn't take that quality away. And I have no idea why some fans obsess over something like that. If you like Dragon Ball, despite there being many other animes that are better than it, why should that matter?
I wasn’t debating that there aren’t shows better than Dragon Ball, and I don’t necessarily agree that there are THAT many anime that are “objectively” better in every single way because this is, in the end, a form of art that’s mostly about subjective taste. You can claim a romance anime is objectively better than DB will ever be, and I can easily respond with “I don’t like romance shows so it doesn’t mean anything to me.” You can’t naturally compare the two genres without showing bias. Sure you can claim that a romance show will have objectively better or more romantic moments, but I can also easily claim DB has objectively better or more action and gags. It all depends on the person and what they prefer more.

You can like and think whatever you want, so don’t take this as an attack from some rabid DB fanboy who has some blind love for the series that he must shove upon everyone else. I have absolutely no problem with you or others claiming DB isn’t as good as many other anime. You can make DB your 96th favorite anime for all I care. My original question was moreso WHY you are on this forum if you don’t think that highly of it. Is it because of a deeper, more nostalgic connection compared to other shows you’ve seen, despite not thinking it’s as great as them? Or is it another reason? At this point the discussion has shifted a little, but that’s what I originally asked.

Now I’ll give some context on my experience on the anime I’ve watched and how they compare to DB. This will mostly be a subjective view on things from me. I will first admit most of the anime I have seen are shonen, with some other stuff like Evangelion (mostly because people kept praising it to no end) and some Ghibili films here and there. I’m only going to compare the shonen shows because I feel that they are the most comparable. They are “technically” the same “genre.” Of the notable shonen I have seen, I’ve seen Naruto, MHA, Yu Yu Hakusho, and One Punch Man. Throw in some other random shows I caught here and there, but never really watched or took seriously. I also read around 500 chapters of One Piece before stopping at the Fishman Island arc. The only one I feel that competes is Yu Yu Hakusho.

A lot of these modern shonen shows that everyone says “improved on DB’s formula” have numerous problems that I think DB itself doesn’t have, at least in the original manga and anime run, such as constantly forcing overdramatic moments that are meant to pull on your heart strings at every opportunity. Naruto and One Piece in particular are very guilty of this, somehow spinning almost every single backstory for new characters into some overemotional story. It works the first few times, hell sometimes it can lead to fantastic story telling, but if that’s all they’re going to do for every new character, villain or not, then you have a problem.

Another issue with these two is the overabundance of flashbacks and repeating shit we’ve seen a million times. There are far, far too many moments like this. I was honestly surprised while I was reading One Piece that it would take like 6-8 chapters off at a time to tell me another “boo-hoo” sob story for some character we just recently met. You might think this is just one small element of these shows, and that it doesn’t affect them that much, but I beg to differ. These two series THRIVE off of this stuff. It’s the main selling point of modern shonen. This is the main reason I’ve seen most people praise these shows as “surpassing” Dragon Ball. And truth be told, I don’t hate either of these series. If I did I would not have watched Naruto all the way through or gave One Piece 500 chapters.

The reason I think Dragon Ball succeeds in those areas is because it doesn’t force those moments down your throat every 10 episodes. Could it have used more emotional, sad moments? Maybe, but I’d much rather have less than an overabundance of them. That’s why when we have moments like Vegeta sacrificing himself against Boo, it feels special and deserved. When you start having like 5 different flashback interpretations of Itachi’s past that constantly get brought up, it starts to get a little ridiculous. I found myself, after seeing it for the 109th time, going “yah yah, he killed his parents, nobody cares move on with the plot.” I assure you that’s not a reaction you want to have for a plot point that is so crucial to the story, especially if you genuinely got invested in Itachi’s true past when it was first revealed like I did. At a certain point, it gets mind numbingly boring and ultimately wastes your time.

At this point I feel like I’m just going to keep rambling on and on, so I’ll give these “new” shows some credit where I think they genuinely deserve it so I don’t come off as some hater. I think that the worlds and settings of Naruto and One Piece are very imaginative and well thought out. Compared to Dragon Ball’s world, which I don’t think is bad by any means, they are a step above. Yu Yu Hakusho, a series I mentioned competed well with Dragon Ball, has a great structure and system to it. It’s more stable and consistent than DB. If you told me it was better than DB, I would not argue with you like I would against Naruto or One Piece. MHA is a strange one. One one hand it feels very much like other modern shonen that came before it, and on another it feels more subdued, which I think is a good thing. Now I’ve only seen the anime, so I don’t know where the story is at in the manga. It could’ve gotten better or worse.

I don’t want to compare every aspect of each show because quite frankly, that would take way too long, and I don’t think I have the capabilty to write something like that without making it sloppy and sounding like a broken record. I’m no Kunzait, that’s for sure. I’ll just say that I think Dragon Ball’s more simple and less complicated approach to story telling does it wonders compared to the sometimes over emotional, complicated messes that can be Naruto and One Piece. That’s why, to me, DB will be a step above the anime that I have watched. Even excluding my personal attachment to the series, I think it’s legitimately good in many areas, some of which it doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

Overall, yes, I do know that DB does have its fair share of problems, especially if you include GT and modern DB. I know that there are other shows that have better writing overall, hell even I think YYH has better writing at least. But those things won’t stop it from being my favorite because this series has been in pretty much my entire life, and it keeps on giving in many ways I did not expect it to. Even if I decide to watch other great anime, let’s say like Full Metal Alchemist (which I did catch numerous times on TV a long time ago, but don’t have much memory of), I highly, highly doubt it would become my new favorite. At this point it’s pretty much set in stone for me. That’s my final statement on this piece.

Agreed, Dragon Ball flaws are grossly over exxagerated as if it was always a crappy Show and if it wasn't for Naruto, One Piece, My Hero Academia, etc. No one would like Shonen nowadays and how all newer anime improved over it while the flaws of said series are overlooked.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm

Its definitely one of my favorites but I’m not sure if I would call it my absolute favorite. I’m actually pretty choosy with anime and for some reason, a lot of the newer ones just don’t do it for me. I still love Sailor Moon and Inuyasha...Inuyasha is probably my all time favorite as of right now and a lot of that has to do with the fact I really enjoyed the finale; I can’t say that about a lot of anime. Outside those main three though, I like quite a few others:

Death Note (at least to the midway point)
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue
When They Cry (to an extent)
Unico (one of the first ones I saw and seeing it in Japanese finally is great)
Ringing Bell of Chirin
Ranma 1/2
Princess Mononoke
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Mago_Gosora

Post by Mago_Gosora » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't really watch anime. I got into Dragon Ball yrs ago when it was on TV, and I watched Digimon when I was a kid (although I've indulged quite a bit since Tri. came out). That's really about it. So I suppose that, yes, that would make Dragon Ball my "favourite anime." Lol

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:37 pm

Dragon Ball to me is like Star Wars, a crazy popular cultural icon, but not the best in its genre. Best anime for me are the ones i grew up with, rurouni kenshin, gundam, etc.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Yea it is Yu Yu Hakusho is a close second

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Yes it is.

It is even my most rewatched show ever.

I watched many other Anime shows and the only two shows that came close are Yu Yu Hakusho & Hunter X Hunter.
My English is poor .

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:12 pm

I’m kind of curious what other shows in general people on here watch besides Dragon Ball and the ilk.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Dragon Ball is forever my first love of anime. I personally put One Piece ahead because I enjoy that show a little more but it doesn’t mean I can’t love both shows at the same time.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The Great Saiyaman

Post by The Great Saiyaman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Probably. Although, if I'm honest, One Piece might edge it out in terms of consistency based on plot and characterization, but I can't deny that the story of a monkey boy who grows to be the strongest person in the world while looking for the Dragon Balls is always gonna be too, even if it's not always good.