"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:16 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 amI hope that Toriyama will be more involved with the writing of the single episodes instead of just relying barebone outlines.
I don't know if Toriyama is willing to get that involved. He's only getting older so I imagine he might get involved the longer the series continues. I think the ToP had the least involvement from him at least based on the producer (or director?) saying that his outline was barebones. The anime version was 55 episodes vs 16 chapters in the manga. If both Toei and Toyotaro are covering Toriyama's outline that would mean Toriyama'a version would've been even shorter than Toyotaro's. I'm sure he helps them expand on his original outline but based on the differences between the two I guess it's not much. I think the only fix would be to have shorter sagas and adapt his outline more closely.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 pm I personally would like to know how long ago DB2uper’s pre-production began
It's been speculated that pre-production for Dragon Ball Super 2.0 began as early as October of last year
So I've heard. I’d like to know if its true. Because if so, thats about 10 months of pre-production (assuming DBS 2 is in July) or a full year (if DBS 2 is in October).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm posting this here.

https://twitter.com/Freza_sama/status/1 ... 6834624512 https://twitter.com/Freza_sama/status/1 ... 9666950144

If Masako Nozawa starts talking about the Toriyama project I think we are not very far from an announcement. It's a very good sign.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 am
JazzMazz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 am

Fucking. Hell.

This just makes episodes like 86, 94, 95, 110, 116, 130 and 131 even more of miracle in hindsight.

The staff being given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted was ironically a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing because the animators had more freedom to do whatever they wanted -- Tate and Takahashi in particular thrived in this department -- but it was also a curse because the scripting was so inconsistent as the writers weren't given any long term direction of where Super's plot was going to go, and were pretty much writing on episodic nature; leading to some major inconsistencies in the show.
Considering this, I think its quite obvious that making a completely thematically consistent story wasn't exactly the most pressing issue in the production of the series....
Yeah. It's very obvious that Super was just rushed on the air to cash in on the unexpected explosive resurgence in demand for new content. And any kind story or thematic consistency was considered more of bonus rather than a necessity.

The more they take their time with Super 2.0, the better.
Toei and Fujitv knew Kai was ending so DBS was literally piss poor managed from the start. I still can't believe that, they knew a year in advance that Kai (1 year of them not animating a series since Kai was old footage) was ending yet didn't plan anything for a replacement a month before. I get they wanted to see ResF but if ResF didn't do well and they had already planned DBS and that also didn't do well then they can ya'know end it after a bit and get a new show on the air. After BoG that seemed like a wise risk to take. And in hindsight we now know it would have paid off.

If the current rumoured production time is accurate then it is good they have learned from their lesson. The DBS brand did increase in strength* post March 2018 when it ended and now Broly has strengthened it even more, so it's not like they need it on the air, so them taking their time is not an issue at all and we will undoubtedly benefit in the past.

*After #5 I don't think anyone would've predicated DBS brand would eventually be so strong that it literally has dethroned the DBZ brand to the point the Z brand is sort of becoming like Kai now in Japan....which truly is f**king nuts!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 am
JazzMazz wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 am
Considering this, I think its quite obvious that making a completely thematically consistent story wasn't exactly the most pressing issue in the production of the series....
Yeah. It's very obvious that Super was just rushed on the air to cash in on the unexpected explosive resurgence in demand for new content. And any kind story or thematic consistency was considered more of bonus rather than a necessity.

The more they take their time with Super 2.0, the better.
Toei and Fujitv knew Kai was ending so DBS was literally piss poor managed from the start. I still can't believe that, they knew a year in advance that Kai (1 year of them not animating a series since Kai was old footage) was ending yet didn't plan anything for a replacement a month before. I get they wanted to see ResF but if ResF didn't do well and they had already planned DBS and that also didn't do well then they can ya'know end it after a bit and get a new show on the air. After BoG that seemed like a wise risk to take. And in hindsight we now know it would have paid off.

If the current rumoured production time is accurate then it is good they have learned from their lesson. The DBS brand did increase in strength* post March 2018 when it ended and now Broly has strengthened it even more, so it's not like they need it on the air, so them taking their time is not an issue at all and we will undoubtedly benefit in the past.

*After #5 I don't think anyone would've predicated DBS brand would eventually be so strong that it literally has dethroned the DBZ brand to the point the Z brand is sort of becoming like Kai now in Japan....which truly is f**king nuts!
Wasn’t there a debate that the new movie was going to be under the Z brand before we found it’s being marketed as a Super movie? Either way, I’m going to still stay ready for more Dragon Ball. Right now is a great time to catch up on shows and enjoy this season’s anime.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm

If they ever do a from the ground up reanimation of the entire dragon ball manga
Maybe they will brand it as a super prequel lol.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 pm

louisascommie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm If they ever do a from the ground up reanimation of the entire dragon ball manga
Maybe they will brand it as a super prequel lol.
Hey, y'know what? If we really are living in a post-Yamamuro era, I wouldn't mind that at all. It would finally allow the anime to keep everything in one consistent continuity, if they used Super as a base. Dragon Ball ULTRA KAI.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am

What I am going to post here is NOT an official confirmation. Also, he COULD BE WRONG, so don't get your hopes up too high but I found out that Eric Legrand, French voice of Vegeta, was in a convention last week and said that there is a new Dragon Ball series that is coming at the end of the year (Il y a un prochain Dragon Ball qui va arriver une prochaine série qui arrive à la fin de l'année).

Source: https://youtu.be/SBQ4UHMRxcY?t=21

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am What I am going to post here is NOT an official confirmation. Also, he COULD BE WRONG, so don't get your hopes up too high but I found out that Eric Legrand, French voice of Vegeta, was in a convention last week and said that there is a new Dragon Ball series that is coming at the end of the year (Il y a un prochain Dragon Ball qui va arriver une prochaine série qui arrive à la fin de l'année).

Source: https://youtu.be/SBQ4UHMRxcY?t=21
Well, a big name person in the DB community told me its coming sooner than that when I presented him/her with your post. They also said that the French guy is prob talking about when DBS 2 will return for France rather than Japan. So if i was a betting man, I’d put all my chips on the table for DBS 2 happening in July with an announcement either this month or next month.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am

July is the most likely date for Super’s return. Having it return later than that would make no sense as they have had enough time to have a very good pre-production for the show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 pm

They announced the first Super in April and it started in July. Maybe 2uper will also be announced in April and begin in July.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am July is the most likely date for Super’s return. Having it return later than that would make no sense as they have had enough time to have a very good pre-production for the show.
Yeah, if pre-production really did begin in October, while I'm fine with it, we really dont need a full year of pre production. 8 months is fine.

- So, the dates are lining up.
- The art production side seems to be good. Its likely we’ll keep Shintani’s style, the pre-production has had a good amount of time. We wont have Nagamine sadly but we have Nakamura.
- I'm still worried about the writing side of things. Most importantly, they need to hire OR promote a dbs regular writer to Series Composer. I also hope Toriyama puts loads of effort into his next work

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am July is the most likely date for Super’s return. Having it return later than that would make no sense as they have had enough time to have a very good pre-production for the show.
It could still happen considering the amount of projects happening in the next four months that Toei is
dealing with.
Majinwarman

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 pm
Yeah, if pre-production really did begin in October, while I'm fine with it, we really dont need a full year of pre production. 8 months is fine.

- The art production side seems to be good. Its likely we’ll keep Shintani’s style, the pre-production has had a good amount of time. We wont have Nagamine sadly but we have Nakamura.
- I'm still worried about the writing side of things. Most importantly, they need to hire OR promote a dbs regular writer to Series Composer. I also hope Toriyama puts loads of effort into his next work
Basing on what the various producers/DB Room guys have been saying for months in their interviews, it really seems like Toriyama is starting to take things more seriously. He was seemingly very involved in the animated version of the Tournament of Power, and he even went as far as to pick Shintani out of an audition and correcting some of Shintani’s designs himself.
They have also been saying that they have been able to improve communication with Toriyama. So much that he also had time to even supervise the CG models to make sure they were to his liking.
He must have been upset about Super’s writing too. Now that the art and animation have been fixed and the show is getting proper pre-production, I hope Toriyama will take the next and final step to ensure Super can be up to his standards and that is to write more detailed outlines and making sure Toei sticks to them 100% without adding pointless changes and adapting them as-is as they did with the latest two movies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:49 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Basing on what the various producers/DB Room guys have been saying for months in their interviews, it really seems like Toriyama is starting to take things more seriously. He was seemingly very involved in the animated version of the Tournament of Power, and he even went as far as to pick Shintani out of an audition and correcting some of Shintani’s designs himself.
They have also been saying that they have been able to improve communication with Toriyama. So much that he also had time to even supervise the CG models to make sure they were to his liking.
He must have been upset about Super’s writing too. Now that the art and animation have been fixed and the show is getting proper pre-production, I hope Toriyama will take the next and final step to ensure Super can be up to his standards and that is to write more detailed outlines and making sure Toei sticks to them 100% without adding pointless changes and adapting them as-is as they did with the latest two movies.
Agreed. When it comes to writing for this show, the number one thing is communication.

Due to the lack of a series composer to oversee and communicate with other writers and due to the lack of communication between the writers themselves, the writing in each episode felt inconsistent with the last.

With a series composer, communication amongs the writing team will increase, whether direct or indirect (basically all communication goes through the series composer). And just MAYBE, the series composer can communicate with Toriyama from time to time. Because the series composer is kind of around the importance of the director when it comes to adapting Toriyama’s story for an arc.

And for me personally, I’d kinda like more communication between Toyo and Toei because I'm not the biggest fan of the anime and manga being different. But ill be happy as long as we get the stuff mentioned before.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Agreed. When it comes to writing for this show, the number one thing is communication.

Due to the lack of a series composer to oversee and communicate with other writers and due to the lack of communication between the writers themselves, the writing in each episode felt inconsistent with the last.

With a series composer, communication amongs the writing team will increase, whether direct or indirect (basically all communication goes through the series composer). And just MAYBE, the series composer can communicate with Toriyama from time to time. Because the series composer is kind of around the importance of the director when it comes to adapting Toriyama’s story for an arc.

And for me personally, I’d kinda like more communication between Toyo and Toei because I'm not the biggest fan of the anime and manga being different. But ill be happy as long as we get the stuff mentioned before.
Who do you guys want as the series composer for Super? I would like the series composer to be like One Piece’s who actively talks Oda.
Majinwarman

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm

majinwarman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Who do you guys want as the series composer for Super? I would like the series composer to be like One Piece’s who actively talks Oda.
I just want someone who understands Dragon Ball like, for example, King Ryu, Toshio or Tomioka. What’s more important is for the series composer to always be in contact with Toriyama to make sure that everything written is approved by Toriyama and then later used by him for his future outlines. I don’t want to see new situations like Kaioken Blue or other anime-only stuff that Toriyama probably didn’t know about until the episodes aired and that he isn’t willing to use in his stories. I want the TV show to feel 100% Toriyama like the movies do.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

I’d prefer Atsuhiro with Toshio as a VERY close second. And I DO hope that either one of them communicates with Toriyama a lot.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

I’d prefer Atsuhiro with Toshio as a VERY close second. And I DO hope that either one of them communicates with Toriyama a lot.
Watch they don’t get a series composer!
Majinwarman

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Can Someone answer this for me?

If and when Super returns will it be an adaption of Toyo's manga?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time