Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pmhell, for a while there, I don't think there was a single product out of FUNimation that didn't have his voice in it somewhere, along with Laura Bailey's.
Still mind-blowing to me that she did kid Chi-Chi's voice!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 pmhell, for a while there, I don't think there was a single product out of FUNimation that didn't have his voice in it somewhere, along with Laura Bailey's.
She does have this little thing called versatility. I sometimes wish she would have played Chi-Chi when she grew up and not Cynthia Cranz.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm
She does have this little thing called versatility. I sometimes wish she would have played Chi-Chi when she grew up and not Cynthia Cranz.
As much as I LOATHE the adult depiction of Chi-Chi, Cranz is perfectly cast for that version of the character. And she has range too, she can make Chi-Chi sound genuinely affectionate when the writers are having an off day and accidentally put in a scene in that makes Chi-Chi relatable.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm
As much as I LOATHE the adult depiction of Chi-Chi, Cranz is perfectly cast for that version of the character. And she has range too, she can make Chi-Chi sound genuinely affectionate when the writers are having an off day and accidentally put in a scene in that makes Chi-Chi relatable.
Even though quite a few of her scenes in the series have her as a raging nag and overbearing tiger mom, the parts where Chi-Chi is bearable comes when she is calm and it is those moments when Cranz isn't too bad overall. It's just anytime she is shouting and or going ape about something or at someone whether it be Goku or otherwise that her performance starts to grate on me.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Even Japanese Chi Chi grates on me in those moments, so I think it's just a character thing, at least for me. I like Cranz's voice in general though, and do sort of wish she got more work that wasn't just background anime mom #3578 (which tends to happen a LOT, and seems to stem just from the fact that she IS Chi Chi) - she was great in Yu Yu Hakusho as Botan.

I could see Bailey having been a good Chi Chi possibly though. She did well enough in Yu Yu Hakusho as Keiko, who...I wouldn't really say is super similar to Chi Chi overall, but I do dislike Keiko (not her performance, just the character in general), so...*shrug* Take from that what you will, I guess. :P

We're getting slightly off topic though. Back in regards to Vic, and in-so-far as his work on Dragon Ball specifically goes, I'm still thinking that more than likely anything he's already done will stay put. IE, the old Broly movies (even if they get a new release), old versions of DBZ's dub, and the songs he sang for GT and Kai, are going to remain in place whenever new airings or releases of those products hit the airwaves/streaming/shelves/etc. Likewise, I'm betting he's still going to be the voice of Broly on the DVD/Bluray release of the new film. Whether or not any extras featuring him still end up on the release though...that's a better question.

Still hard for me to predict what they'll do in regards to the new version of Broly coming to FighterZ though, or if anything else for either version came up in Xenoverse 2. They likely are going to have to re-cast and fast, which very well could leave new things for those two products with conflicting voices (previous audio files already in place using Mignogna, new ones being recorded by whomever they pick for the role).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm Even Japanese Chi Chi grates on me in those moments, so I think it's just a character thing, at least for me.

I could see Bailey having been a good Chi Chi possibly though. She did well enough in Yu Yu Hakusho as Keiko, who...I wouldn't really say is super similar to Chi Chi overall, but I do dislike Keiko (not her performance, just the character in general), so...*shrug* Take from that what you will, I guess. :P

We're getting slightly off topic though. Back in regards to Vic, and in-so-far as his work on Dragon Ball specifically goes, I'm still thinking that more than likely anything he's already done will stay put. IE, the old Broly movies (even if they get a new release), old versions of DBZ's dub, and the songs he sang for GT and Kai, are going to remain in place whenever new airings or releases of those products hit the airwaves/streaming/shelves/etc. Likewise, I'm betting he's still going to be the voice of Broly on the DVD/Bluray release of the new film. Whether or not any extras featuring him still end up on the release though...that's a better question.

Still hard for me to predict what they'll do in regards to the new version of Broly coming to FighterZ though, or if anything else for either version came up in Xenoverse 2. They likely are going to have to re-cast and fast, which very well could leave new things for those two products with conflicting voices (previous audio files already in place using Mignogna, new ones being recorded by whomever they pick for the role).
Actually on another note, when it comes to Chi-Chi in the Japanese version i prefer Mayumi Sho's voice over Naoko Watanabe as hers just has a more cuter and softer sounding performance when compared to the latter's harsher sounding take. Not to mention she played her from the character's first appearance in Dragon Ball up through part way into the Namek arc in Z and first three Z movies. Sure, her character can indeed be grating even in the original but her first voice i guess sounded more natural to me over Watanabe.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm Actually on another note, when it comes to Chi-Chi in the Japanese version i prefer Mayumi Sho's voice over Naoko Watanabe as hers just has a more cuter and softer sounding performance when compared to the latter's harsher sounding take. Not to mention she played her from the character's first appearance in Dragon Ball up through part way into the Namek arc in Z and first three Z movies. Sure, her character can indeed be grating even in the original but her first voice i guess sounded more natural to me over Watanabe.
I do remember that from when I watched through the series subbed, yeah. The best I can recall, I didn't even know about the change until it happened and was wondering why she suddenly sounded so much more shrill, and then looked into it to discover why.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:11 pm Actually on another note, when it comes to Chi-Chi in the Japanese version i prefer Mayumi Sho's voice over Naoko Watanabe as hers just has a more cuter and softer sounding performance when compared to the latter's harsher sounding take. Not to mention she played her from the character's first appearance in Dragon Ball up through part way into the Namek arc in Z and first three Z movies. Sure, her character can indeed be grating even in the original but her first voice i guess sounded more natural to me over Watanabe.
I do remember that from when I watched through the series subbed, yeah. The best I can recall, I didn't even know about the change until it happened and was wondering why she suddenly sounded so much more shrill, and then looked into it to discover why.
Yeah, you compare the two's performances and it's pretty easy to tell one from the other. The reason for the change from what i have heard was that Sho took a temporary leave of absence from the show after Z episode 66 because she was pregnant with her child at that point, but she ultimately ended up not returning for some reason so Watanabe assumed the role and ended up basically portraying Chi-Chi from then on in nearly all subsequent projects, and of course also playing Puar as well which she was also doing prior to that.

I did hear that Sho returned to voice Chi-Chi in something, but i can't recall exactly what it was at this time.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Amy Rose is better than Chi Chi guys.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm Amy Rose is better than Chi Chi guys.
Not to sound like a dick but okay?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Can I use the phrase "stop being stereotypical"? Because I feel genuinely embarrassed to be a Sonic fan reading these posts.

EDIT: And what the fuck? This isn't even the Sonic thread, it's the Vic Mignogna thread. That has nothing to do with anything.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm Can I use the phrase "stop being stereotypical"? Because I feel genuinely embarrassed to be a Sonic fan reading these posts.

EDIT: And what the fuck? This isn't even the Sonic thread, it's the Vic Mignogna thread. That has nothing to do with anything.
Sorry, but you guys were talking about Chi Chi.
Geez.

Plus, Mignogna is attending a convention, the HawaiiCon over Boycott.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm Can I use the phrase "stop being stereotypical"? Because I feel genuinely embarrassed to be a Sonic fan reading these posts.

Geez.

Yeah but nobody was talking about Amy Rose.

It’s just kind of left field to feel the need to inform everyone you think a Sonic character is better than Chi Chi.

Like, Princess Jasmine is better than Chi Chi you guys.

What does that add to the convo?

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Geez.

Yeah but nobody was talking about Amy Rose.

It’s just kind of left field to feel the need to inform everyone you think a Sonic character is better than Chi Chi.

Like, Princess Jasmine is better than Chi Chi you guys.

What does that add to the convo?
Cause no one likes her?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:12 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:06 pm Any time they were in need of a deep voice they went to him. Man their talent pool was shallow back then.
I forget which of the three made the joke, but I remember it being said that outside of Schemmel as Goku and Nadolny as Gohan, basically all the other deep male roles went to Sabat and all the light and 'weird' male roles went to Strait or McFarland. Then all the female roles were one of the like three women they had on staff (prompting one of them to also crack the joke 'got a vagina? We've got a role!').

I'd probably be among the few who'd actually watch it, and I'm aware they might sugarcoat it to some degree, but I'd actually totally love to see a documentary detailing just either FUNimation's growth as a company from their humble beginnings, or even one just focused entirely on Dragon Ball's struggle and rise in coming to the US. We've gotten DVD releases of documentaries on He-man, TMNT, and the like in recent years, it'd be great to see a similar release happen for Dragon Ball, especially if the filmmakers were able to talk to a lot of people from the fansub side of things way back when too, or even just people that were around in the fandom during that timeframe (like some of the staff on this very site).
There's a good chance that somewhere down the line The Toys That Made Us will get around to Dragon Ball. Christ, it's doing My Little Pony this upcoming season. I haven't seen He-Man in nearly 30 years because it's god awful, but that episode was fascinating. I would love a documentary about the clusterfuck that was Snyder's DCEU.

I don't have to like the subject matter to find a good documentary interesting. I'd love to see one about FUNimation. It doesn't have to bash the company but it also shouldn't brush over the fact that nepotism is the reason they got the license to DB. The issue with Vic might be worth tackling in this hypothetical doc.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm

A documentary about Funimation would be cool, but they'll probably ignore that Funi got DB because of nepotism.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm A documentary about Funimation would be cool, but they'll probably ignore that Funi got DB because of nepotism.
They'd probably just frame it as "Gen Fukunaga had connections". I can't imagine even a fluff piece overlooking this fact.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I'd actually be more concerned with them glossing over the uh...'issues' in regards to how they first started out (quality issues, I mean). Though we could be surprised there - Sabat and Schemmel have both been pretty candid about how rough things were when they first started out. So at least they would probably talk pretty openly about things like that. It'd mostly depend on who directed the documentary. One of my absolute favorite ones for this sort of thing is 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy' that goes over the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise with an INSANE amount of detail given to almost every aspect you can think of in regards to those films. Getting that crew to do a Dragon Ball US history one would be amazing, but I doubt it'd be in their wheel house. On the flip side, the team that did 'Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the TMNT' did a pretty lackluster job of covering that franchise (though supposedly they're doing a sequel to cover more things), especially compared to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History' that came out in book form.

So really, it all depends on a number of factors on if it'd be good - how good the filmmakers are, how good their sources and people they get to talk to are, and how passionate they are about their subject matter.
Twitter

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm I'd actually be more concerned with them glossing over the uh...'issues' in regards to how they first started out (quality issues, I mean). Though we could be surprised there - Sabat and Schemmel have both been pretty candid about how rough things were when they first started out. So at least they would probably talk pretty openly about things like that. It'd mostly depend on who directed the documentary. One of my absolute favorite ones for this sort of thing is 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy' that goes over the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise with an INSANE amount of detail given to almost every aspect you can think of in regards to those films. Getting that crew to do a Dragon Ball US history one would be amazing, but I doubt it'd be in their wheel house. On the flip side, the team that did 'Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the TMNT' did a pretty lackluster job of covering that franchise (though supposedly they're doing a sequel to cover more things), especially compared to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History' that came out in book form.

So really, it all depends on a number of factors on if it'd be good - how good the filmmakers are, how good their sources and people they get to talk to are, and how passionate they are about their subject matter.
I would also imagine that Toei wouldn't want a film that bad-mouths them in regards to the low-quality scripts they were sending Funimation, because that'd make them look pretty bad.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:30 pm Amy Rose is better than Chi Chi guys.
Not to sound like a dick but okay?
I guess this is why so many people think of Sonic's fanbase the way they do.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash