History of Sonic and Dragon Ball Z

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Re: History of Sonic and Dragon Ball Z

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 pm But he also made walls, floors, and stuff be destructive in battle.
What does that have to do with anything? Lol

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:06 am

Wikipedia wrote:The first boxes of Lucky Charms cereal contained marshmallows in the shapes of pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers.
Hmmm... that's 4 Lucky Charms Marshmallows total originally...
Sonic Wiki wrote:In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series, the Chaos Emeralds are five (initially four) green emeralds in different shapes.
Whoa! Lucky Charms were originally just 4 marshmallows too! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Step aside DBZ... Lucky Charms is the true Sonic parallel!

Credit to Zephyr for blowing all our minds with this stunning revelation.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Hey guys, did you know that Shadow and Batman are the same character? Both had loved ones killed with guns.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 pm Hey guys, did you know that Shadow and Batman are the same character? Both had loved ones killed with guns.
Hey, don't say stuff like that. If I'm reading Young-Jah right, sarcasm's just gonna fly straight over his head. He'll think you're being serious.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 pm Hey guys, did you know that Shadow and Batman are the same character? Both had loved ones killed with guns.
Hey, don't say stuff like that. If I'm reading Young-Jah right, sarcasm's just gonna fly straight over his head. He'll think you're being serious.
No, no, it's fine.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm

F Off.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

These shows aren't similar because Dragon Ball has more than 4 good games

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Easy there, buddy. Sonic has a whole 5 good games now.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
F Off.
Dude, I'm just joking with you.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:29 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
F Off.
OK.
I'm not OK with jokes.

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Zephyr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm Easy there, buddy. Sonic has a whole 5 good games now.
Only five? I'm sure there's been more good games in the series than Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 1 on the Master System, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Mania, and Sonic R*, but eh. To each their own.

*As facetious as I'm being with this post, I genuinely think 3D Blast and Unleashed are damned good games, and who can't respect the glory that is Sonic R?

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm
Zephyr wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm Easy there, buddy. Sonic has a whole 5 good games now.
Only five? I'm sure there's been more good games in the series than Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 1 on the Master System, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Mania, and Sonic R*, but eh. To each their own.

*As facetious as I'm being with this post, I genuinely think 3D Blast and Unleashed are damned good games, and who can't respect the glory that is Sonic R?
Waiting for Team Sonic Racing to be OK.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm

I partially respect 3D Blast and Sonic R for Hirokazu Yasuhara's role in their level design, and I partially respect Unleashed for featuring a good next evolutionary step in the Sonic racing game that began life as Sonic 06's mach speed sections and Secret Rings. All three, unfortunately, merely show faint, unrealized, promise. All three suffer from awkward movement, two from awkward control mapping, and Unleashed specifically has an inexcusably inelegant and sloppy arrangement of gameplay components.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:29 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm F Off.
OK.
I'm not OK with jokes.
You don't have a sense of humor?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm

The only thing sadder than being a Sonic fan in this day an age is still being a Robotech fan. At least Sonic is getting a movie. For better or worse . . .

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:48 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm The only thing sadder than being a Sonic fan in this day an age is still being a Robotech fan. At least Sonic is getting a movie. For better or worse . . .
The movie is going to be worst than Dragon Ball Evolution.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:48 pm
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm The only thing sadder than being a Sonic fan in this day an age is still being a Robotech fan. At least Sonic is getting a movie. For better or worse . . .
Why? Because Sonic has blue arms?

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:48 pm
Why? Because Sonic has blue arms?
No, because the concept is bad, making it a live action CGI movie is like way bad then Death Note on Netflix.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 am

Death Note's problem is the original Death Note isn't a good story. Sonic's problem is that it's a video game with a VERY thin storyline. I think the only way it could possibly work is if they got Lord and Miller to write and direct.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Almost got me triggered there
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie