"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm What I really hope the "following the manga" statement means is that it will either pick up after the Moro arc, or that it will adapt the Moro arc from Toriyama's notes separately, the same way as every other arc. Even though I think the manga is bad in general, the big problem with trying to exclusively adapt it would be the absolute assassination of pacing. The manga's content is released at about half to 65% pace nowadays as Toriyama's was back in the 80s and 90s. But Dragon Ball's anime never moved quickly. It always had filler, and it could always drag stuff out. I honestly can't even fucking tolerate most of Z, hell even some parts of Kai, with how slow it could get from trying to adapt 1 chapter a week as it was being released in WSJ. To slow that even further and follow a monthly manga that was not even in that current saga when pre-production on the show started and indeed is barely getting into it now, especially with said arc being somewhat boring and slow on it's own, is un-fucking-real to me. Toyotaro could be the best mangaka ever and it wouldn't be salvageable.

Thankfully I really doubt that's what's going on. There was never any monetary or management-based reason to change to that format, and I feel like Toei now is more conscious of at least making something happen most of the time that I'm confident it's not actually going to try and do that. And again, when the anime was stated to enter the planning phase in potentially late September, they couldn't have been deciding to follow Toyotaro then, so they must have either come up with an original story, or had Toriyama's notes for the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc themselves.
Nothing so far suggest that Toriyama wrote Moro's arc. All indication heavily points to the story being Toyo's baby with Toriyama supervising.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on Kanzenshuu but I decided to come back on after hearing that Dragon Ball Super may be returning in July.

Pretty excited about this and I haven't seen the latest Manga Arc yet, I hope they adapt the arc but do it differently like the other arcs.

Also I hope they do a few "Filler" episodes before they get into the new Arc, I feel like going from the last episode of Dragon Ball Super ToP Saga and a new Saga would be kinda weird.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm not consistently enjoying the Moro arc; I'd rather the anime do something completely new.

I like the concept of a magic user, but I don't like Moro's character design or his personality and his powers haven't been anything fun or unique so far. So far he doesn't feel like a Toriyama villain to me.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:55 pm

I’m glad Super is coming and Shintani as well. I’m interested in what staff we will get. My prediction is that Nakamura is series director, Ide chief animation director, Shintani as character designer ( obviously), and mostly keep the same supervisors from Super but add Takara and Tsuji as supervisors. Also, Sumitomo as music composer. I don’t know about art director but Dragon Ball tends to have good art directors so I don’t need to predict it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Ajay wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm
DainIronfoot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm Nope, instead you have people mocking the so called "Yam Squad" and belittling them by calling them "cute", while proceeding to be a bully.
You can say my name, it's okay. I think you're lacking a greater context about what you're referring to is all about, though. The "Yam Squad" are a small group of toxic individuals who have harassed me endlessly over my general animation views for years, coining the term AIDSjay, and much, much worse. I have them all blocked, but they like to keep tabs on me, and continue to check in on me, screenshotting my tweets, and mocking me. It's got nothing to do with the fact they have a different opinion to me - contrary to popular belief, I don't particularly care much on that front - but it's an easy thing to pick at when I'm in a shitty mood and sink to their level to reply. Just wanted to clear that little bit up.

I won't address the rest of the post since I largely agree, and don't find personal attacks about Yamamuro's appearance very funny at all. Silly little photoshops and skits here and there, sure, but never make it personal like the examples you mentioned. I remember an old twitter account called "YamamuroHater" that was just full of absolutely disgusting material that I very often publicly spoke out against. I'm certainly not innocent, and have crossed the line here and there, but please don't lump me in those types of people.

I might not like the man's work, and have been vocal about that for quite some time, but I have nothing but respect for him and almost everyone in the field. It's not an easy job, and there's absolutely no way I could do it.

We have Shintani now. This whole exaggerated meme can be put to bed soon enough, I'm sure.

And hey, I don't want this thread to get dragged off-topic, so if you do want to discuss this further or bring up other issues you may have with me, feel free to DM! 100% open to criticism.
I actually wasn't referring to you directly with that, Ajay. Perhaps the person I had seen using those terms was maybe quoting you though? I'm not sure, but regardless thanks for the context. People like that are part of the problem, and it's tempting to sink to their level at times, as you mentioned.

Oh yes, I remember YamamuroHater very well. I don't even want to think back to it though tbh. I don't want to derail the topic too far (since Nagamine's interview ties into the series itself and the fact the new series won't suffer the same issues, tis why I posted it here) off course though, so if anything I don't mind discussing in a DM with you regarding the other points mentioned, Ajay.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

If the anime isn't retelling the Broly movie, like how they did with BoG and RoF, then it's starting to make sense why it's the first movie under the Dragon Ball Super name... Are the movies going to start being part of the DBS anime's continuity? :think:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 pm According to me, Super is returning next week with 10 new movies being announced. I am not lying. I have no single source but It's true!

Here we go again...
People talking directly to the animators working at Toei aren't sources? Oh ye of little faith. Gotta love the condescension & cynicism, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pm

It does not make much sense for the anime to follow the manga. The rhythms are completely different, and TOEI would have to create fillers at least in most episodes (and probably many people would not see these parts as canonical), and it would probably change the shape of events in an adaptation, which would make the relationship between manga and anime very confusing

And I would not say that the script for the new saga is from Toyotaro, but apparently Toriyama is not writing drafts and passing it on to him as happened in the other DBS sagas (apparently he gives ideas, supervises and changes some things). I do not think this would work if anime and manga continue with new sagas

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Shintani designs, pre-production began back in October, storyboards for early episodes are already done and they've begun key animation. These are all telling signs of Toei learning from the mistakes they made back with Super 2015. Not only is a great schedule beneficial for the production of the series, but it means we'll be able to get stuff like TV specials because the series will be flexible enough to do that. I want feature length retellings of Z arcs, kinda like how One Piece does those TV specials where they retell earlier arcs in a feature length. Since the Moro arc involves the Galactic Patrol, now would be the perfect time to adapt Jaco the Galactic Patrolman into a TV special.

I'm not really enjoying the Moro arc that much in the manga. Maybe the anime will spice it up a bit (that's if the anime will go straight to it once it returns) but I'm not too keen about it being the first story arc 2uper will tackle. I'm glad that we probably won't get a Broly retelling. Yes, there's 70 minutes of storyboard material that wasn't animated, but I want that to be animated for the film itself in some kind of extended cut, I don't want it to be used for the anime series.

I just noticed something kinda funny. Back in 2015 when Super first started, it was getting absolutely thrashed for its animation and was being compared to One Punch Man. Now, One Punch Man 2's production is leaving a lot of people very skeptical (the show starts next month and all we have to judge it by is a poorly edited trailer with a bunch of stills) and Super's returning with a production that has a lot of us optimistic. Oh, how the tables have turned.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm Shintani designs, pre-production began back in October, storyboards for early episodes are already done and they've begun key animation. These are all telling signs of Toei learning from the mistakes they made back with Super 2015. Not only is a great schedule beneficial for the production of the series, but it means we'll be able to get stuff like TV specials because the series will be flexible enough to do that. I want feature length retellings of Z arcs, kinda like how One Piece does those TV specials where they retell earlier arcs in a feature length. Since the Moro arc involves the Galactic Patrol, now would be the perfect time to adapt Jaco the Galactic Patrolman into a TV special.

I'm not really enjoying the Moro arc that much in the manga. Maybe the anime will spice it up a bit (that's if the anime will go straight to it once it returns) but I'm not too keen about it being the first story arc 2uper will tackle. I'm glad that we probably won't get a Broly retelling. Yes, there's 70 minutes of storyboard material that wasn't animated, but I want that to be animated for the film itself in some kind of extended cut, I don't want it to be used for the anime series.

I just noticed something kinda funny. Back in 2015 when Super first started, it was getting absolutely thrashed for its animation and was being compared to One Punch Man. Now, One Punch Man 2's production is leaving a lot of people very skeptical (the show starts next month and all we have to judge it by is a poorly edited trailer with a bunch of stills) and Super's returning with a production that has a lot of us optimistic. Oh, how the tables have turned.
I don’t think they will do TV specials during the first year of airing. Toei wants the schedule to solidify and continue to go. Maybe in the future, but don’t count on it. I understand why people are wondering what Super will cover but we should wait before we go crazy. We will get a promo image between now and April. I’m fairly confident in predicting Nakamura as series director and he was very competent director as shown in episodes 39, 65, 75, 130. He was also the series director for the TOP so he was experience with Dragon Ball. Finally, the discuss the One Punch Man Season 2 thing. Currently, the reason why people are worried is because how the show hasn’t finished storyboards and it is about to air in a month. That shows the series are in a tight spot and won’t be at the quality as Season 1. Wait and see before we can say that this season will be a failure though. Just something to think about. I don’t believe Super 2019 will be Broly level but it will be at a competent show level.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:51 pm

DainIronfoot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm I haven't been using the forums as frequently as I used to, and that stems from the fact that it's gotten so hostile ever since that Vic Mignona topic. However, there are a few things that i just wanted to get out and i saw someone post something similar to this on social media. I'm also sure most people will ignore this except for some, since most don't care.

While we all knew Super's schedule was horrible and that it caused issues, I don't think many quite knew the extent of it. Nagamine's statements on the matter tell us that the whole thing was quite literally hell on Earth for the staff. I have no doubt at all in my mind that Toei's ignorance to aid the quality of the series affected Yamamuro and the rest of the animators. Even with how hard (and we know it was incredibly stressful) they were worked, they all still did their best to bring us the first new DB series in years. I don't think people will ever realize how mentally challenging that must of been. The work that the CD, animators, writers etc had to do with those conditions was not easy at all and we don't truly know how they must of felt. Yet here we go again with people in the community posting nonsense about Yamamuro (right after this info comes out too). You have people talking about selling their "pubic" hair if they see him on the series, comparing his "Sweaty" face to how he designs and all around E-bullying towards him and anyone who may like his style. You have these same bullies then tell people that because they like Yamamuro, they shouldn't be respected. How does that even work? I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, people HAVE to start understanding that other people WILL have different opinions than you and even if you disagree, you should at least respect them. Nope, instead you have people mocking the so called "Yam Squad" and belittling them by calling them "cute", while proceeding to be a bully. Based on the way Toei handled Super, it's a MIRACLE that the show even made it. The amount of work this man and all of the animators/writers working on the show had to do is simply mind boggling and while people find it easier to complain, they don't stop to think why things are as they were. When you have next to no support from the company (whos biggest participation was to tell you to craft designs that would be good for selling toys and making $ since that's all the marketing team cared about with the first Super series), a schedule that is pretty much on the verge of collapse and having to work on designs, promo material, supervision, consistency etc, it's probably going to cause a few mental breakdowns. How do you think he felt and just imagine if he used social media!? It's no surprise that Yamamuro himself stopped to work on small projects like Heroes.

When the next DB series does return, and we know that will be soon (announcement soon!) It will have a much smoother time than its predecessor. I seriously hope people will appreciate it too. The schedule, the designs and everything that makes the show click will be more polished, resulting in a much more consistent series. However, hopefully with this new info on the "behind the scenes" of Super, you'll grow to at least be more sympathetic to all the staff who worked on it. Of course, you can still dislike what you had seen (in regards to anything, be it writing, visuals etc) just remember that a huge reason why it was like that was the failure of Toei not being there for its staff. You can be critical without losing decency/respect (as some people do, which is how it should be). To see some people seriously have the nerve to make posts disrespecting Yamamuro (and some on a vulgar personal level or editing real life pictures) makes me so annoyed. Especially since it's almost right after we get this info from Nagamine's interview. As for these same people, heaven forbid they go through any sort of mental depression/burn out or have a friend of theirs go through it. They will be the first ones to defend against trollish and hurtful attacks yet the irony is, they are culprits of the same thing. I witness it on social media, and it's disgusting. Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about and I hope Karma arrives to those who act like hypocrites on this matter. Thankfully, I won't be around in this world to go through such mind deteriorating nonsense much longer.
Good post. Yeah I don't pay attention to simpletons. Yamamuro brought some good stuff to the DB series overall. He orchestrated one of the best fight scenes in all of DB with Goku and Majin Vegeta. The man deserves respect...

It just goes to show that TOEI producer who came out way back when and stated the issues the staff had with time and budget wasn't just damage control but a reality!

BTW, What happened to Yamamuro? Did he have a mental breakdown?

Ajay wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm If you're cautious about the source: this all came directly from staff within Toei this time. Obviously won't name names for the sake of their job security, but both July and Shintani were independently mentioned by multiple animators.
So...It begins then. Why are people acting as if an announcement is suppose to happen today?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:51 pmBTW, What happened to Yamamuro? Did he have a mental breakdown?
No. Yamamuro is doing fine. He's just been pretty much relegated to working on promotional material (like Heroes and the occasional TV ad) since DBS Broly, and Shintani has pretty much taken his place as character designer.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:51 pmBTW, What happened to Yamamuro? Did he have a mental breakdown?
No. Yamamuro is doing fine. He's just been pretty much relegated to working on promotional material (like Heroes and the occasional TV ad) since DBS Broly, and Shintani has pretty much taken his place as character designer.
That's good to hear. Yamamuro deserves respect. The guy put in good work. No surprise that Shintani would be the guy now. Besides didn't Toriyama personally hand pick him to do the movie anyway?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm What I really hope the "following the manga" statement means is that it will either pick up after the Moro arc, or that it will adapt the Moro arc from Toriyama's notes separately, the same way as every other arc. Even though I think the manga is bad in general, the big problem with trying to exclusively adapt it would be the absolute assassination of pacing. The manga's content is released at about half to 65% pace nowadays as Toriyama's was back in the 80s and 90s. But Dragon Ball's anime never moved quickly. It always had filler, and it could always drag stuff out. I honestly can't even fucking tolerate most of Z, hell even some parts of Kai, with how slow it could get from trying to adapt 1 chapter a week as it was being released in WSJ. To slow that even further and follow a monthly manga that was not even in that current saga when pre-production on the show started and indeed is barely getting into it now, especially with said arc being somewhat boring and slow on it's own, is un-fucking-real to me. Toyotaro could be the best mangaka ever and it wouldn't be salvageable.

Thankfully I really doubt that's what's going on. There was never any monetary or management-based reason to change to that format, and I feel like Toei now is more conscious of at least making something happen most of the time that I'm confident it's not actually going to try and do that. And again, when the anime was stated to enter the planning phase in potentially late September, they couldn't have been deciding to follow Toyotaro then, so they must have either come up with an original story, or had Toriyama's notes for the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc themselves.
There’s no way they will adapt the manga. They will, at most, use some of its panels from the first chapters of the arc as they did when the manga was ahead during the U6 arc.
Then what does the "following the manga" mean then if not adapting the manga?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm
@Miracles, per Ajay's request I did not want to derail the topic and initiated a DM, feel free to DM me if you want more info!

@Lord Beerus, you're missing a lot of context here.

Anyways lads, as mentioned, let's move past this and if you are curious or feel anything about that post of mine, feel free to DM. Honoring Ajay's request.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am

There’s no way they’re not going to redo the Broly movie guys! That’s just stupid and wouldn’t make any sense.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 am

SaiyaSith wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm If the anime isn't retelling the Broly movie, like how they did with BoG and RoF, then it's starting to make sense why it's the first movie under the Dragon Ball Super name... Are the movies going to start being part of the DBS anime's continuity? :think:
There is NO hard evidence that the Broly movie is not going to be retold. Geekdom is just jumping to conclusions here. And falsely so!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 am

PFM18 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 pm A dream come true!!!!

Now I just hope we get a retelling of Broly

I hear talk of the anime "following the manga", which to me means that it would become an adaptation of the manga. And that is absolutely terrifying.
From where do you hear that talk?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 am

Simere wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 am
PFM18 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 pm A dream come true!!!!

Now I just hope we get a retelling of Broly

I hear talk of the anime "following the manga", which to me means that it would become an adaptation of the manga. And that is absolutely terrifying.
From where do you hear that talk?

I believe it was in Geekdome's video?

What I found most interesting was the info that despite in being in production since October they only started animating it in 2019. Giving so much time to the story boarding phase should help the quality a lot.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:22 am

If they started pre prod as soon as we believe then it's frankly impossible for them do be following a monthly manga.