"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 am

Really happy to hear Shintani is actively going to be participating. I hope they keep the colour design(roughly) from Broly as well.

I wonder who the series director is going to be, seems likely it could be Nakamura.

This seems like its going to be Super "for real this time though". Is looking like it could turn out really good.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:22 am If they started pre prod as soon as we believe then it's frankly impossible for them do be following a monthly manga.
What are you suggesting by this? That they'll put in a lot of filler?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:22 am If they started pre prod as soon as we believe then it's frankly impossible for them do be following a monthly manga.
Or they'll leave the Moro arc as manga filler and move on to new things

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:51 am

Maybe they'll continue doing things the same way. The anime and manga are each their own thing while telling the same crucial plot points.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am There’s no way they’re not going to redo the Broly movie guys! That’s just stupid and wouldn’t make any sense.
How on earth is it stupid NOT to do the Broly retelling? Why is that so unbelievable? The hype for Super 1 was significantly diminished when it was revealed they would be starting with the movie retellings. If Toei wants to get as many people interested as possible, they won’t retell the movie and they’ll start with a bang with NEW content.

And if you look at it from a quality perspective, what is the point? Genuine question to anyone that somehow wants the movie to be retold. Where is the excitement in having the Broly movie again but it looks worse? New Dragon Ball show, and you want them to waste their time retreading the same story?

And no, 70 minutes of cut storyboard content does not justify making us sit through the same story again for MONTHS on end.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am

Well if the pre production of October is accurate then it literally is impossible for them to follow the manga as the manga was in ToP mode then, so why would Toei prep for material that didn't exist at the time? KA is being done yet the manga is only 4 or so chapters into the Moro arc so even if Toei wanted to follow the manga there just isn't enough material too, maybe if the Moro arc started in April 2018 things might be different.

Not to say Toei won't do something with Moro but it will be different.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am
Well if the pre production of October is accurate then it literally is impossible for them to follow the manga as the manga was in ToP mode then, so why would Toei prep for material that didn't exist at the time? KA is being done yet the manga is only 4 or so chapters into the Moro arc so even if Toei wanted to follow the manga there just isn't enough material too, maybe if the Moro arc started in April 2018 things might be different.

Not to say Toei won't do something with Moro but it will be different.
You bring up a good point about the pre production date. I feel it's likely they'll retell the Broly movie then.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:02 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 am
Well, Yonkou said 2uper would adapt the manga is the db sakuga discord so...

I’m guessing we’re getting Moro. But you bring up a very good point.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Well, the Moro arc would definitely happen at some point, it's just that in order to "follow the manga" the manga would always have to stay ahead which is difficult to pull off. So unless the series is going to add tones of extra stuff (I'd call it filler but I'm not sure that's accurate anymore) the anime will catch up pretty fast.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Geekdom on the subject said he heard conflicting reports on that and he isn't sure.
Michsi wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Well, the Moro arc would definitely happen at some point, it's just that in order to "follow the manga" the manga would always have to stay ahead which is difficult to pull off. So unless the series is going to add tones of extra stuff (I'd call it filler but I'm not sure that's accurate anymore) the anime will catch up pretty fast.
That is really nothing to support that.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I wont mind a Broly retelling if we get to see what was cut from the movie, and also extend some scenes like Bardock sacrifice, Goku and Vegeta using all of their(anime) forms vs Broly, etc.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:33 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:51 am Maybe they'll continue doing things the same way. The anime and manga are each their own thing while telling the same crucial plot points.
Hopefully

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:50 pm

I keep seeing the name Shintani, like everybody is talking about him as if he was some sort of demigod or celestial being capable of designing the greatest characters. Is he really that good? What characters did he design previously? I mean, everyone seems so relieved of having him instead of...whoever was before.

I agree that Super needs better character design. Botamo looked like he came out of Sesame Street (what´s that yellow balloon with ears doing in Dragon Ball??), Jiren seems to have been designed by Toriyama in 30 seconds max (if creativity slept, its nightmare would be Jiren) and I still shudder whenever I hear the word "Ribrianne" or anything that sounds like it.

So, am I being too optimistic by hoping that we will have more interesting, varied, DB-like designs in 2uper?

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

anubisj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:50 pm I keep seeing the name Shintani, like everybody is talking about him as if he was some sort of demigod or celestial being capable of designing the greatest characters. Is he really that good? What characters did he design previously? I mean, everyone seems so relieved of having him instead of...whoever was before.
Shintani is the guy who made the character designs for DBS Broly, he replaced Yamamuro
Yamamuro's and Shintani's takes on Goku:
anubisj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:50 pm So, am I being too optimistic by hoping that we will have more interesting, varied, DB-like designs in 2uper?
The designs for big characters like Jiren, Broly or Moro will probably still come from Toriyama/Toyotaro, Shintani will adapt them for animation. some characters like the Pride Troopers (Not Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo), Kale and some filler will be up to Toei tho (so hopefully no more Copy-Vegetas)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:14 pm

anubisj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:50 pm I keep seeing the name Shintani, like everybody is talking about him as if he was some sort of demigod or celestial being capable of designing the greatest characters. Is he really that good? What characters did he design previously? I mean, everyone seems so relieved of having him instead of...whoever was before.

I agree that Super needs better character design. Botamo looked like he came out of Sesame Street (what´s that yellow balloon with ears doing in Dragon Ball??), Jiren seems to have been designed by Toriyama in 30 seconds max (if creativity slept, its nightmare would be Jiren) and I still shudder whenever I hear the word "Ribrianne" or anything that sounds like it.

So, am I being too optimistic by hoping that we will have more interesting, varied, DB-like designs in 2uper?
Shintani is the animation character designer.
The one who comes up with the concepts should still be Toriyama, although it’s possible that from now one, as it happened with the Tournament of Power, that Toyotaro (Super’s mangaka) will be designing some characters.
And there’s also the chance that Shintani will be coming up with some characters himself, as he stated he was the one who came up with Broly’s shirtless design all on his own, while Toriyama only drew Broly with his armor.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Toei is once again denying Super's return, saying that there are no new episodes of Dragon Ball Super being produced at this time. Here's the source where I got this from: https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-ball-su ... ly-1366198

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm Toei is once again denying Super's return, saying that there are no new episodes of Dragon Ball Super being produced at this time. Here's the source where I got this from: https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-ball-su ... ly-1366198
It said that about the earlier rumors. I didn't read anything denying the newest one.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Wow look at that: https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-ball-su ... ly-1366198

Toei denies yet again. Just goes to that Toei denying something isn’t good enough evidence and can just as easily be a cover up.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:02 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm Toei is once again denying Super's return, saying that there are no new episodes of Dragon Ball Super being produced at this time. Here's the source where I got this from: https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-ball-su ... ly-1366198
It said that about the earlier rumors. I didn't read anything denying the newest one.
Read the update

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:12 pm

My mistake.

On the chance that Toei is telling the truth and nothing pops up on April and July, what's going to happen? These false alarms are starting to make me mad.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time