"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Extreme_kai » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm Hype to hear that Shintani(or at least his designs) are on board for the continuation of super. I'm sorry, but I just can't go back to shiny and stiff modern Yamamuro after Broly.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:51 pm

The way the Kanzenshuu stuff in 2014 handled Freeza was perfect and is the way things like this should be handled, they knew of Freeza's revival before but didn't say anything until it was officially revealed. All people are doing now is making Toei's job harder for themselves all for what more street cred?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 pm

While it's good to learn Super's coming back, when, and that Shintani's art will stay, I get it. Unofficial announcements don't come with footage or screenshots, and since it's unofficial that means Kanzenshuu won't talk about it until it is official. Plus Toei eluded that the series may likely return anyway so the leak isn't as big a shock.

At least they didn't leak story info?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Now all I have to worry about is whether or not they are doing a Broly retelling, now that we know that the show is coming back, and with Shintani being the main guy over Yam.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Speaking of Yamamuro, I wonder what's gonna happen to him, now that he no longer defines the aesthetic of the whole franchise? I mean, there's still Heroes, so it's not like he's out of a job, but for a guy that was as fast and took on as much work as he did (even if it didn't look so hot), it's gotta be a weird change.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm Speaking of Yamamuro, I wonder what's gonna happen to him, now that he no longer defines the aesthetic of the whole franchise? I mean, there's still Heroes, so it's not like he's out of a job, but for a guy that was as fast and took on as much work as he did (even if it didn't look so hot), it's gotta be a weird change.
I think he'll more or less be relegated to Heroes' duty kind of like you alluded to. Definitely a weird change, but, that's just life when somebody else can do your job better.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm Speaking of Yamamuro, I wonder what's gonna happen to him, now that he no longer defines the aesthetic of the whole franchise? I mean, there's still Heroes, so it's not like he's out of a job, but for a guy that was as fast and took on as much work as he did (even if it didn't look so hot), it's gotta be a weird change.
Yamamuro decided to work on small Dragonball projects, including the Heroes anime. He will probably do some small promotional material here and there for events etc and hopefully (this is my own hope) he will return to supervise an episode at one point of the upcoming series. Of course though, I hope he enjoys his time now without the heavy burdens and stress he used to have.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 am

HeroR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm
That’s because every arc in the manga was outlined by Toriyama and the manga still skipped Resurrection ‘F’. So far, Moro is heavily implied to be Toyo’s baby.

It was always a question and still is.
To quote you, there is little to support that. And even if that were true, that still wouldn't mean the anime wouldn't take it into consideration. Toyotaro's suggestions have been used by all parties involved. He designed several of the gods and angels. Their trusting him with story aspects more and more.

Now that doesn't mean the anime would follow the events of the manga religiously. Same as before, they'll take key points of the story and make their own version of it.
Chuquita wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 pm While it's good to learn Super's coming back, when, and that Shintani's art will stay, I get it. Unofficial announcements don't come with footage or screenshots, and since it's unofficial that means Kanzenshuu won't talk about it until it is official. Plus Toei eluded that the series may likely return anyway so the leak isn't as big a shock.

At least they didn't leak story info?
I genuienly hope that no one from the staff is going to get in trouble for this. Toei stepping up and denying the claim makes me think they aren't happy with this so they might start investigating. As long as the person knew who Geekdom was and how big his audience is then okay, they made a decision, but if not, and they thought: well, what's the harm in telling an enthusiastic fan- then I'd feel kinda sorry for them.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 am
HeroR wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm
That’s because every arc in the manga was outlined by Toriyama and the manga still skipped Resurrection ‘F’. So far, Moro is heavily implied to be Toyo’s baby.

It was always a question and still is.
To quote you, there is little to support that. And even if that were true, that still wouldn't mean the anime wouldn't take it into consideration. Toyotaro's suggestions have been used by all parties involved. He designed several of the gods and angels. Their trusting him with story aspects more and more.

Now that doesn't mean the anime would follow the events of the manga religiously. Same as before, they'll take key points of the story and make their own version of it.
We do have a lot of support, though. For one, when the story arc was announced, Toyo talked about how he was getting a lot praise for it and how Toriyama overlooks it. That has never happened for any of Toriyama's other adapted work.When Toriyama is involved in anything, it is announced from the mountain top and Toriyama's name is written all over the thing like how Legends made a big deal about Shallot being designed by Toriyama. The same with Android 21 in FighterZ. Yet, with this story, Toriyama's name is barely mentioned outside of supervision. Even them talking about it at Jump Festa barely mentioned Toriyama, which is odd if this was Toriyama's next story arc. We didn't even get 'designed by Toriyama' with Moro unlike Shallot and Android 21.

Finally, when Toriyama gave his message at Jump Festa, he never mentioned Moro or the current manga arc. He talked about Broly and 'his next project'. Why wouldn't he mentioned Moro if he did the outline for it? Heck, he didn't mentioned the manga at all, but instead praised the anime staff and writers for Broly. And it can't be because the panel was only about Broly since they did talk about Moro and even Dragon Ball Heroes.

Taking in Toyo's designs isn't the same as taken in his story arc. Otherwise, you could say the same thing about the anime who designed most of TOP fighters, including big players like Kale. They're even the ones who made the Pride Troopers super heroes since Toriyama never gave a reason why Toppo, Jiren, and Dypso were wearing uniforms. Yet, no one expects the manga to adapt Copy Vegeta or Hit being hired to kill Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 am

A continuation of the Super show? Colour me shocked! Is there much information about it? I read a little bit of the topic but missed quite a bit (apologies if there's any inconvenience).

I wonder if the Broly film will get an arc. I didn't watch the movie but I may oblige an anime season as it does hold ramifications to the greater continued franchise.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 am

DainIronfoot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm
Yamamuro decided to work on small Dragonball projects, including the Heroes anime. He will probably do some small promotional material here and there for events etc and hopefully (this is my own hope) he will return to supervise an episode at one point of the upcoming series. Of course though, I hope he enjoys his time now without the heavy burdens and stress he used to have.
I wonder how Yamamuro will adapt Shintani's style personally if he does take that position, although I'm not sure he'll work on the series merely as a supervisor...

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 am We do have a lot of support, though. For one, when the story arc was announced, Toyo talked about how he was getting a lot praise for it and how Toriyama overlooks it. That has never happened for any of Toriyama's other adapted work.When Toriyama is involved in anything, it is announced from the mountain top and Toriyama's name is written all over the thing like how Legends made a big deal about Shallot being designed by Toriyama. The same with Android 21 in FighterZ. Yet, with this story, Toriyama's name is barely mentioned outside of supervision. Even them talking about it at Jump Festa barely mentioned Toriyama, which is odd if this was Toriyama's next story arc. We didn't even get 'designed by Toriyama' with Moro unlike Shallot and Android 21.

Finally, when Toriyama gave his message at Jump Festa, he never mentioned Moro or the current manga arc. He talked about Broly and 'his next project'. Why wouldn't he mentioned Moro if he did the outline for it? Heck, he didn't mentioned the manga at all, but instead praised the anime staff and writers for Broly. And it can't be because the panel was only about Broly since they did talk about Moro and even Dragon Ball Heroes.

Taking in Toyo's designs isn't the same as taken in his story arc. Otherwise, you could say the same thing about the anime who designed most of TOP fighters, including big players like Kale. They're even the ones who made the Pride Troopers super heroes since Toriyama never gave a reason why Toppo, Jiren, and Dypso were wearing uniforms. Yet, no one expects the manga to adapt Copy Vegeta or Hit being hired to kill Goku.

There's been a long discussion about Toyotaro being groomed to eventually take over Toriyama's role fully at some point- this might be a first step in that direction and the reason why his name is so heavily featured. I always assumed Moro to be Toriyama's "next project" and just that it was too early to talk about it while Broly was the star of the show.
Not to mention that we've been wrong before about what we thought was and was not Toriyama's drawing/idea. (Jiren?)

I'm all for the anime and manga doing their own thing entirely, it's just highly unlikely given how things have been done before.
But again, these two version could be extremely different from each-other, so much so, that they could be seen as their own thing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 am We do have a lot of support, though. For one, when the story arc was announced, Toyo talked about how he was getting a lot praise for it and how Toriyama overlooks it. That has never happened for any of Toriyama's other adapted work.When Toriyama is involved in anything, it is announced from the mountain top and Toriyama's name is written all over the thing like how Legends made a big deal about Shallot being designed by Toriyama. The same with Android 21 in FighterZ. Yet, with this story, Toriyama's name is barely mentioned outside of supervision. Even them talking about it at Jump Festa barely mentioned Toriyama, which is odd if this was Toriyama's next story arc. We didn't even get 'designed by Toriyama' with Moro unlike Shallot and Android 21.

There's been a long discussion about Toyotaro being groomed to eventually take over Toriyama's role fully at some point- this might be a first step in that direction and the reason why his name is so heavily featured. I always assumed Moro to be Toriyama's "next project" and just that it was too early to talk about it while Broly was the star of the show.
Not to mention that we've been wrong before about what we thought was and was not Toriyama's drawing/idea. (Jiren?)

I'm all for the anime and manga doing their own thing entirely, it's just highly unlikely given how things have been done before.
But again, these two version could be extremely different from each-other, so much so, that they could be seen as their own thing.
Discussion, but that's all they really have been. People have been saying that when we learned that Toyo designed most of the new Gods of Destruction and Angels, only for us to find out much later that the Dragon Room were the ones who did most of the heavy lifting for the Universal Survival Saga like making almost all of the fighters and giving everyone but Jiren personalties. Even Ultra Instinct Omen was the anime staff's idea that Toyo adapted. That's not even getting into Broly which was an idea given to him by the Dragon Room. So I'm not really seeing this whole 'groom' thing for Toyo. If anything, it seems the Dragon Room is the one being groom to take over.

How was it too early. The Moro arc more or less started by Jump Festa. That and Toriyama gave acknowledgment to the Future Trunks Saga months before it aired. So the whole 'too early' thing doesn't make much sense, especially when the panel before Toriyama's statement talked about the Super manga.

I have never seen anyone say that Jiren wasn't Toriyama since his design is so weird yet simple. In fact, when it comes to design, fans are more right than wrong about what comes from Toriyama vs anyone else, like everyone suspected that Toriyama didn't make Kale and they were proven right.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 am Discussion, but that's all they really have been. People have been saying that when we learned that Toyo designed most of the new Gods of Destruction and Angels, only for us to find out much later that the Dragon Room were the ones who did most of the heavy lifting for the Universal Survival Saga like making almost all of the fighters and giving everyone but Jiren personalties. Even Ultra Instinct Omen was the anime staff's idea that Toyo adapted. That's not even getting into Broly which was an idea given to him by the Dragon Room. So I'm not really seeing this whole 'groom' thing for Toyo. If anything, it seems the Dragon Room is the one being groom to take over.

How was it too early. The Moro arc more or less started by Jump Festa. That and Toriyama gave acknowledgment to the Future Trunks Saga months before it aired. So the whole 'too early' thing doesn't make much sense, especially when the panel before Toriyama's statement talked about the Super manga.

I have never seen anyone say that Jiren wasn't Toriyama since his design is so weird yet simple. In fact, when it comes to design, fans are more right than wrong about what comes from Toriyama vs anyone else, like everyone suspected that Toriyama didn't make Kale and they were proven right.
We already know that DBS is a joint effort for the most part- that they meet up to discuss and plan the arcs is a well known fact by now. That the anime designed the vast majority of fighters from the TOP makes sense because it was the anime that would use them and give them bigger roles ( but I think it's fair to say that the gods of destruction and the angels are a bit more important than a random fighter that we most likely never see again)

A lot of people were definitely on the side that Jiren wasn't Toriyama's design (in sense that it was a failed attempt at copying his simplistic and odd designs ) and I remember when people were surprised that one of the larger panels that featured Jiren in the beginning was actually drawn by Toriyama himself (after jokes had been made at Toyotaro's expense)

So going back to the idea that DBS is a joint effort, both when it comes to the design AND story, it stands to reason that the current arc isn't manga only event. Even it it's been mostly thought up by Toyotaro, I sincerly doubt Shueisha would allow the manga and anime to be separated like that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 am Discussion, but that's all they really have been. People have been saying that when we learned that Toyo designed most of the new Gods of Destruction and Angels, only for us to find out much later that the Dragon Room were the ones who did most of the heavy lifting for the Universal Survival Saga like making almost all of the fighters and giving everyone but Jiren personalties. Even Ultra Instinct Omen was the anime staff's idea that Toyo adapted. That's not even getting into Broly which was an idea given to him by the Dragon Room. So I'm not really seeing this whole 'groom' thing for Toyo. If anything, it seems the Dragon Room is the one being groom to take over.

We already know that DBS is a joint effort for the most part- that they meet up to discuss and plan the arcs is a well known fact by now. That the anime designed the vast majority of fighters from the TOP makes sense because it was the anime that would use them and give them bigger roles ( but I think it's fair to say that the gods of destruction and the angels are a bit more important than a random fighter that we most likely never see again)

A lot of people were definitely on the side that Jiren wasn't Toriyama's design (in sense that it was a failed attempt at copying his simplistic and odd designs ) and I remember when people were surprised that one of the larger panels that featured Jiren in the beginning was actually drawn by Toriyama himself (after jokes had been made at Toyotaro's expense)

So going back to the idea that DBS is a joint effort, both when it comes to the design AND story, it stands to reason that the current arc isn't manga only event. Even it it's been mostly thought up by Toyotaro, I sincerly doubt Shueisha would allow the manga and anime to be separated like that.
Joint effort to a point since Toyo didn't seem to have anything to do with the Broly movie outside of giving Vegeta Super Saiyan God and again, the Dragon Room did almost everything for the Universal Survival Saga to an almost laughable degree. Like Toriyama couldn't even be bother to give his own characters personalities.

Not really since the Gods of Destruction didn't do anything, while the TOP fighters were the main event. And those who become popular will most likely return. And it's speculation of the other Gods of Destruction or their Angel will do anything in the future.

Maybe here, but on Reddit, Neogaf (now ResetEra), and other Dragon Ball sites, no one questioned that Jiren was Toriyama's.

When it comes to story, it isn't joint. Toriyama decides the story. Toei and Toyo just fills the details. And why would Shueisha care if the anime and the manga are separate? It's been separate for years now.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:18 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 am Joint effort to a point since Toyo didn't seem to have anything to do with the Broly movie outside of giving Vegeta Super Saiyan God and again, the Dragon Room did almost everything for the Universal Survival Saga to an almost laughable degree. Like Toriyama couldn't even be bother to give his own characters personalities.

Not really since the Gods of Destruction didn't do anything, while the TOP fighters were the main event. And those who become popular will most likely return. And it's speculation of the other Gods of Destruction or their Angel will do anything in the future.

Maybe here, but on Reddit, Neogaf (now ResetEra), and other Dragon Ball sites, no one questioned that Jiren was Toriyama's.

When it comes to story, it isn't joint. Toriyama decides the story. Toei and Toyo just fills the details. And why would Shueisha care if the anime and the manga are separate? It's been separate for years now.
Differences in plot points, even major ones, don't make them separate things. Shueisha is credited as the owner of franchise and Toei can't do anything without their consent. Weren't they also ones that demanded gaming events to pull FighterZ from their list simply because no one had asked them if they were allowed to use a game that belonged to the Dragon Ball franchise? That's the extent of their hold on the DB.
So back to the joint effort aspect, in the end it doesn't matter who does what and how much, what counts is that they get together and decide in what direction the story is going so to suddenly have Toyotaro break away from the norm and be allowed to do his own thing and the anime staff then going "yeah no, we got other plans" seems really odd and unlikely. Him mentioning getting praise means he has presented his ideas to others , probably not just Toriyama, and they liked what they heard.

Time will tell, but I still think it's unlikely that the current manga arc will not be added to the series.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:18 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 am Joint effort to a point since Toyo didn't seem to have anything to do with the Broly movie outside of giving Vegeta Super Saiyan God and again, the Dragon Room did almost everything for the Universal Survival Saga to an almost laughable degree. Like Toriyama couldn't even be bother to give his own characters personalities.

Differences in plot points, even major ones, don't make them separate things. Shueisha is credited as the owner of franchise and Toei can't do anything without their consent. Weren't they also ones that demanded gaming events to pull FighterZ from their list simply because no one had asked them if they were allowed to use a game that belonged to the Dragon Ball franchise? That's the extent of their hold on the DB.
So back to the joint effort aspect, in the end it doesn't matter who does what and how much, what counts is that they get together and decide in what direction the story is going so to suddenly have Toyotaro break away from the norm and be allowed to do his own thing and the anime staff then going "yeah no, we got other plans" seems really odd and unlikely. Him mentioning getting praise means he has presented his ideas to others , probably not just Toriyama, and they liked what they heard.

Time will tell, but I still think it's unlikely that the current manga arc will not be added to the series.
And Shueisha have shown that they don't care if the anime and manga are different. If they did, the manga and anime would have been more united years ago. That and on a whole, Shueisha only really seems to care about the anime given how almost nothing from the manga is used outside of small nod like skirtless Hit, Super Saiyan God Vegeta (although that only became mainstream when Broly did it), and the Gamma Flash. Other than that, none of Toyo's extend Blue forms ever got marketing, every version of Black is based on his anime counterpart, the same with Merged Zamasu, and Jiren.

So far, Toyo hasn't decided the direction of anything. He just made a few designs. And there is nothing wrong with Toyo doing his own thing, especially when Toriyama told him years ago to be more creative. The anime also did its own thing with its breather episodes and stuff like Copy Vegeta, which Toyo completely ignored.
Kanassa wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:12 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 am

Joint effort to a point since Toyo didn't seem to have anything to do with the Broly movie outside of giving Vegeta Super Saiyan God and again, the Dragon Room did almost everything for the Universal Survival Saga to an almost laughable degree. Like Toriyama couldn't even be bother to give his own characters personalities.

I'm interested in knowin your sources for what the Dragon room did.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:12 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 am

I'm interested in knowin your sources for what the Dragon room did.
It was in this interview: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... vival-arc/
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 am
And Shueisha have shown that they don't care if the anime and manga are different. If they did, the manga and anime would have been more united years ago. That and on a whole, Shueisha only really seems to care about the anime given how almost nothing from the manga is used outside of small nod like skirtless Hit, Super Saiyan God Vegeta (although that only became mainstream when Broly did it), and the Gamma Flash. Other than that, none of Toyo's extend Blue forms ever got marketing, every version of Black is based on his anime counterpart, the same with Merged Zamasu, and Jiren.

So far, Toyo hasn't decided the direction of anything. He just made a few designs. And there is nothing wrong with Toyo doing his own thing, especially when Toriyama told him years ago to be more creative. The anime also did its own thing with its breather episodes and stuff like Copy Vegeta, which Toyo completely ignored.

Yes, and that can change. It all started with "oh Toyotaro is just the artist" to "oh hey, he is coming up with ideas and Toriyama is using them" to "hey, he is designing characters now ". He is been called Toriyama's successor a few times, that already puts him above the position of a mere artist that only draws what he is being told. Vegeto was his idea, right? That was major moment in that arc, for the series in general, and permanently changed an aspect of the story i.e. how the potara's are supposed to work. The anime had no problem using that.
Not to mentioned that for now, Moro seems pretty aligned with what I would've considered a anime only villain (like in movies and such) so them not using him would be odd specifically because he seems like something the anime writers would've come up themselves.
Allowing the anime staff the freedom to change stuff is one thing- as I have already mentioned- but an entire arc appearing in the manga and getting completely ignored by the anime is unprecedented and, considering previous experience, highly unlikely.
And yes, DB is one of Shueisha's biggest properties, so I'd never say they don't care what is being done with their titles. I go back to the FighterZ example- things point to them being very careful about this.
Last edited by Michsi on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.