Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am I just hope they aren't a super limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I don't have to sell one of my kidneys.
If it's 16:9 AR and censored, it probably won't sell as much as they expect to regardless making it in limited quantities.
If it's 16:9 and censored, then who exactly would this be for? I'm pessimistic but I can't possibly fathom FUNimation being just that damn stupid. Hey guys, if you're a fan of our crappy Blu-rays out now buy them again with a figure!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 pm
Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm Here is a https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2011/07/10/d ... at-amazon/ Historic Link for yalls reference. I remember there was a thread about this were people said they were willing to skip out on this deal in hopes it dropped even further
Oh god. That hurts. That hurts my soul. :o
I feel your pain, man. I was just starting to get back into the franchise when the Dragon Boxes were coming out with Kai and all and didn't really have a ton of cash with which to drop on them at the time. Makes me wish i'd been in a position by which to acquire the Boxes at the point when that link was posted, though i am more than making up for it now getting them from reasonable deals on eBay auctions.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am I just hope they aren't a super limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I don't have to sell one of my kidneys.
If it's 16:9 AR and censored, it probably won't sell as much as they expect to regardless making it in limited quantities.
If it's 16:9 and censored, then who exactly would this be for? I'm pessimistic but I can't possibly fathom FUNimation being just that damn stupid. Hey guys, if you're a fan of our crappy Blu-rays out now buy them again with a figure!
I mean really, there's no justifiable logic that i could see in them making such a big deal about this release were it just them repackaging the same exact thing they already have out there.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pmIf it's 16:9 and censored, then who exactly would this be for? I'm pessimistic but I can't possibly fathom FUNimation being just that damn stupid. Hey guys, if you're a fan of our crappy Blu-rays out now buy them again with a figure!
Well, the remaster at least would be better than FUNimation's. :P

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Honestly, if Rock the Dragon and the Dragon Boxes are any indication, Funimation is REALLY good at giving us great collectors edition stuff.

I've been waiting years for a release worth collecting, and I think this is it.
El Conejo Malo

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:50 pm Honestly, if Rock the Dragon and the Dragon Boxes are any indication, Funimation is REALLY good at giving us great collectors edition stuff.

I've been waiting years for a release worth collecting, and I think this is it.
Same here, we know they are capable of putting out great releases and those two are no exception. I have hopes that this is going to be in the same league as those.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 am

I hope I'm not a fool, but I've decided to sell my Dragon Boxes so I can afford this future release. Gambling this will turn out great. They're in like-new condition for vols 1-6, and vol 7's shrink wrapped.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 am I hope I'm not a fool, but I've decided to sell my Dragon Boxes so I can afford this future release. Gambling this will turn out great. They're in like-new condition for vols 1-6, and vol 7's shrink wrapped.
That's a huge gamble, I wouldn't do that based on Toei's movie censoring alone, never mind how I don't trust FUNimation to make a competent release since 2009 (and that was obviously the Dragon Box surprise).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 am I hope I'm not a fool, but I've decided to sell my Dragon Boxes so I can afford this future release. Gambling this will turn out great. They're in like-new condition for vols 1-6, and vol 7's shrink wrapped.
I'm pondering on selling my DB collection to have space but in doing so, I'd at least back it up to a 6TB HDD. This DBZ TV HD release will either turn out great or terrible, or somewhere in between.

Four possibilities:
1. 4x3 AR Uncut
2. 4x3 AR Censored
3. 16x9 Uncut
4. 16x9 Censored

In a way, this kind of reminds me of Kai TFC as TOEI apparently has a 4x3 AR version but they only released the 16x9 one.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:07 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 am
I'm pondering on selling my DB collection to have space but in doing so, I'd at least back it up to a 6TB HDD. This DBZ TV HD release will either turn out great or terrible, or somewhere in between.

Four possibilities:
1. 4x3 AR Uncut
2. 4x3 AR Censored
3. 16x9 Uncut
4. 16x9 Censored

In a way, this kind of reminds me of Kai TFC as TOEI apparently has a 4x3 AR version but they only released the 16x9 one.
Definitely have my fingers crossed that it's the first one of those four, because that's what a lot of fans have really been clamoring for.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am

Man you guys are crazy, I would at least wait and see what this is even going to be before selling off the Dragon Boxes, hell I'd keep them anyway for how awesome they look but that's just me.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am Man you guys are crazy, I would at least wait and see what this is even going to be before selling off the Dragon Boxes, hell I'd keep them anyway for how awesome they look but that's just me.
Well, I'm a part time student with a daugther and a part-time job so... I want to be able to afford this new release. (Not to mention I own the Japanese Dragon Boxes and the French DB and DBZ boxes)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 am

As much as I'm optimistic about this release, I would wait until more details about the set are known. It could easily turn out that this set is 16:9, or a repackage of the Blu-Brick-Slab-Box-Things, or something like that. That's not to say you shouldn't sell them at all, but you'll feel much better about it once you know what this upcoming release actually is.

(for my part, I'm not selling my Blue Bricks or my OG Dragon Box regardless, especially the latter)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 am Man you guys are crazy, I would at least wait and see what this is even going to be before selling off the Dragon Boxes, hell I'd keep them anyway for how awesome they look but that's just me.
Well, I'm a part time student with a daugther and a part-time job so... I want to be able to afford this new release. (Not to mention I own the Japanese Dragon Boxes and the French DB and DBZ boxes)
All the power to you, I hope this ends up being better than the Dragon Boxes because if it is I'm going to pick it up too. However if you have the R2 ones, you're good to go anyway if you don't care about lack of subtitles. I just really hope it's not a repackage of the current Blu-rays, that would be monumentally stupid but right up FUNimation's alley.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
All the power to you, I hope this ends up being better than the Dragon Boxes because if it is I'm going to pick it up too. However if you have the R2 ones, you're good to go anyway if you don't care about lack of subtitles. I just really hope it's not a repackage of the current Blu-rays, that would be monumentally stupid but right up FUNimation's alley.
I mean i hope it's not that but then again FUNi doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to Dragon Ball releases (aside from the Dragon Boxes and unfortunately shelved Level BD sets) so i am remaining cautiously optimistic at this point, hopefully they will surprise us and this release turns out to be awesome but we can't be sure until more details on the specs are revealed.

In any case, i am still hanging onto my Dragon Boxes for now then i can determine whether this release is worth it or not.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

@KBABZ

By "OG Dragon Box" you mean the Dragon Ball: Dragon Box or the Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Z? I guess it's the former but it's confusing.

@SuperSaiyaManZ94

The Dragon Ball Kai - Parts 1 thru 4 were fantastic too, Parts 5-8 would have been too if they had kept the Yamamoto score but they were forced to remove it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am @KBABZ

By "OG Dragon Box" you mean the Dragon Ball: Dragon Box or the Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Z? I guess it's the former but it's confusing.
Yes, I'm referring to the Dragon Box for the original anime, this lovely little guy:

It's a bit irritating how many fans don't call the Z one Dragon Box Z and just call it "the Dragon Box" because it kinda forces me to throw in the OG to make it clear what I'm talking about.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am @KBABZ

@SuperSaiyaManZ94

The Dragon Ball Kai - Parts 1 thru 4 were fantastic too, Parts 5-8 would have been too if they had kept the Yamamoto score but they were forced to remove it.
If i recall correctly the music scandal happened around the time Part 5 was being readied for release, so they had to go back and strip it out once everything hit the fan because it was originally going to have the Yamamoto score the same as the previous four sets had. It's unfortunate that happened because as a result we have two entirely different sets of music over the course of the 98 episodes with only the first half being the original intended score on the home release (though the edited Nicktoons broadcast got a little further) and the Kikuchi replacement score is less than desirable in terms of it's placement.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm

You will be taking a huge gamble however if this is an awesome set like we hope for, knowing how fickle prices are I would suspect the Dragon Box DVDs will drop in price. You probably would have a little time cushion but I would say they would need to be sold within a week of the announcement. Especially if the colors are more accurate it’s in 4:3 with the Japanese Broadcast score.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm You will be taking a huge gamble however if this is an awesome set like we hope for, knowing how fickle prices are I would suspect the Dragon Box DVDs will drop in price. You probably would have a little time cushion but I would say they would need to be sold within a week of the announcement. Especially if the colors are more accurate it’s in 4:3 with the Japanese Broadcast score.
If he sets it at an attractive price I can see some fans buying it for the collector's value.