Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 am

Miracles wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pmYes the fighting was [is always] very important because it connected up with the flashback about the Saiyans being a battle race.
The length of the fight was what I was referring to, not the fight itself (which obviously ought to exist).

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 am
Miracles wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pmYes the fighting was [is always] very important because it connected up with the flashback about the Saiyans being a battle race.
The length of the fight was what I was referring to, not the fight itself (which obviously ought to exist).
The long length of battles is necessary for Broly's growth to be portrayed. Story is being told through combat.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 pm

From an out of verse perspective why would they waste their resources on a side show piece like Nappa vs Raditz. I am glad Nagamine made the decision to not cut anything from the main fight.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm Anime Comics release on May 2.
Yeah, English translation for those of us not able to read Japanese? Pretty please?

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:33 am

So Funimation released their home video trailer for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which is largely the same as the third trailer, but with the tidbit of 45 minutes of bonus footage. I doubt it's an actual extended cut of the film since we likely would have seen something related be mentioned on the Japanese side, but is there anything else we could expect to see? I imagine we'd get the usual behind the booth additions as was the case with Resurrection F and Battle of Gods, but could we potentially get a glimpse of any of Nagamine's storyboarding?.... Am I possibly over-hoping here...?
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 am

MegaBossMan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:33 am So Funimation released their home video trailer for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which is largely the same as the third trailer, but with the tidbit of 45 minutes of bonus footage. I doubt it's an actual extended cut of the film since we likely would have seen something related be mentioned on the Japanese side, but is there anything else we could expect to see? I imagine we'd get the usual behind the booth additions as was the case with Resurrection F and Battle of Gods, but could we potentially get a glimpse of any of Nagamine's storyboarding?.... Am I possibly over-hoping here...?
"Bonus Footage" as in DVD Extras

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:53 am

The large amount of cut content doesn't surprise me a ton, it was pretty obvious there were some cut Bardock scenes given that he's battle damaged in his last appearance.

I'd love to see those storyboards or at least get a synopsis of what was cut, though. Maybe those scenes'll be in a Super retelling.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 am

MegaBossMan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:33 am So Funimation released their home video trailer for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which is largely the same as the third trailer, but with the tidbit of 45 minutes of bonus footage. I doubt it's an actual extended cut of the film since we likely would have seen something related be mentioned on the Japanese side, but is there anything else we could expect to see? I imagine we'd get the usual behind the booth additions as was the case with Resurrection F and Battle of Gods, but could we potentially get a glimpse of any of Nagamine's storyboarding?.... Am I possibly over-hoping here...?
Won’t that bonus footage be English-only content, meaning that the behind the scenes will be about Funimation’s VA and not the original ones from Japan?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm

So, Vic Mignogna’s performance is being left as is, right?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 pm

As far as any of us can tell, yes. Given how quick a release it is I wasn't really expecting anything like that, though it would have been nice to hear Broly voiced by an actor who could actually scream.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:47 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm So, Vic Mignogna’s performance is being left as is, right?
Most likely. I doubt they view it as worth it to hire a new VA on the spot and spend money redubbing & remixing the English track.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:35 pm

As the release date gets closer, I'm trying to figure out where to buy the Blu-ray. As I understand it, all releases across the board are going to be the same minus one 'exclusive' steelbook version, correct? Where the contents are exactly the same, it just has a metal case? Not crazy about a steelbook over a regular case just because of the idea of scratching the artwork off by accident, but where is it exclusive to?

Basically just trying to figure out where the best place to pre-order it is.

EDIT - Dug a bit more and found that it's exclusive to Best Buy, also apparently have a $20 reward certificate that expires there next week. I guess I found where I'm pre-ordering it from!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't have any interest in the dub, so if all the extras are solely dub-related that's disappointing imo. I wonder what kind of extras the Japanese release will have. I still haven't preordered anywhere. The U.S. shares blu-ray regions with Japan, but I like subtitles and the Funi release would definitely be cheaper...I dunno. I'll wait and see as more info comes out. April 16th is still more than two weeks away.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I don't care about the dub either, but like you I do care about subtitles. It's the main reason I begrudgingly went for the FUNi-remastered DVD movie slimpacks over Dragon Box the Movies despite how relatively inexpensive it is now. Extras are fun for maybe a one-time viewing for me, but in the end I'm just looking for the movie in Japanese with subtitles, and it looks like the steelbook exclusive is a limited thing so I figured why not.

EDIT - Not sure how official this might be (minus the release date), but it looks like the Blu-ray hits Japan on June 5, and among the extras included with it is a 60-page art book. https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/03/03/ ... n-release/

EDIT 2 - I've never owned a steelbook before, I figured scratches were a thing that could happen but I didn't know (but I should thanks to science) that they could rust too. Huh. That seems more of a pain than it's worth. Maybe I'll also pre-order the regular version and decide once I have them both in hand...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:35 pm

60 page Shintani art book is tempting. I may have to wait and see what's in that art book. If it has stuff they haven't posted online before...rough character sketches and larger resolution background stuff.

I'll wait a while longer before I decide. Still might go with Funi's just so I can have subtitles, take screenshots and make gifs. My laptop doesn't play blu-rays.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm still a little peeved that we never got to experience the movie in 4DX. Funimation needs to make these theatrical releases as big as possible.
The world is your's.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:25 am

Spain easily win. Cheaper and not using f**king screenshots like come on ToeiJP FFS that is so damn lazy. Only new art will be cover yet to revealed. Glad I didn't pre order this and give those bastards money for this lazily put together release.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am

The anime comic's cover (sorry if it's old) :

July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am The anime comic's cover (sorry if it's old) :

Too bad they didn't look like that in the movie scene.