"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 pm Listening to the Castle Superbeast podcast (aka Pat and Woolie formerly of Super Best Friends) talking about the GT Goku news and they sound so dejected and mocking. Where's Master Roshi? Where's Launch? Where are the Tournament of Power people? Where's the variety? This is what I mean when I say it's a bad look.

You want this game to attract an audience outside the usual Budokai/Xenoverse/Heroes "Dragonball games" audience? Don't treat it like those games.
I don't get this concern you have for DBFZ's audience. It's already established itself as one of the biggest fighting games, and there's no reason to think a sequel would do worse. Aren't you talking about a problem that doesn't exist?

If there were a problem with DBFZ's viability as a fighting game, and if we want to talk about variety, then the real issue is that all characters play the same way regardless.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 am

Simere wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 am
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:45 pm Listening to the Castle Superbeast podcast (aka Pat and Woolie formerly of Super Best Friends) talking about the GT Goku news and they sound so dejected and mocking. Where's Master Roshi? Where's Launch? Where are the Tournament of Power people? Where's the variety? This is what I mean when I say it's a bad look.

You want this game to attract an audience outside the usual Budokai/Xenoverse/Heroes "Dragonball games" audience? Don't treat it like those games.
I don't get this concern you have for DBFZ's audience. It's already established itself as one of the biggest fighting games, and there's no reason to think a sequel would do worse. Aren't you talking about a problem that doesn't exist?

If there were a problem with DBFZ's viability as a fighting game, and if we want to talk about variety, then the real issue is that all characters play the same way regardless.
It attracted an audience off the strength of it's mechanics, it's art and yes, it's roster. The whole point of bringing out new characters after a game release is to keep the momentum going. When the new characters are seen as just variations of existing ones, and mainstream news publications (the type that wouldn't touch new releases in Xenoverse or Legends with a twelve-foot pole) are reporting it as "another Goku", it hurts the reputation and makes it harder to retain that audience they've built. Even if they do "play differently", wouldn't you rather ArcSys, (the company that turned a man lying in bed into a fighting game character and apparently wanted an ordinary cop and his eight-year old daughter to be playable in Persona 4 Arena) spend their talents on different characters rather than trying to find six different ways to make the same characters different?

Besides, you're taking it for granted that making them play different will be enough, but they haven't even been able to fully get that right. The base and Blue versions of Goku and Vegeta have quite a few shared moves. Base and SS Goku's normals are practically identical and I'm pretty sure all the Vegeta's have the same flying kick special. GT Goku likely won't have that problem because he's a different size, the problem is he's coming after the base forms already made it into a meme. It wasn't the right time for it.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 am and mainstream news publications are reporting it as "another Goku", it hurts the reputation and makes it harder to retain that audience they've built.
Boohoo, nobody cares. There are also people like me who are happy of a GT character coming in and will return to play this game due to the news. I'm very happy they're not pandering solely to the canon-obsessed crowd (besides it was a given with Cooler making it in.)

If it was UI Goku, I bet you wouldn't be making these posts, even though he too would be another version of the same character.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 am and mainstream news publications are reporting it as "another Goku", it hurts the reputation and makes it harder to retain that audience they've built.
Boohoo, nobody cares. There are also people like me who are happy of a GT character coming in and will return to play this game due to the news. I'm very happy they're not pandering solely to the canon-obsessed crowd (besides it was a given with Cooler making it in.)

If it was UI Goku, I bet you wouldn't be making these posts, even though he too would be another version of the same character.
Nope. My picks would be Kefla, Roshi or Janemba. And for the record, I’m a big proponent of Kid Goku and UI but I wouldn’t want them in this season. There are only six slots, two of which are reserved for Gogeta and a second Broly. The other characters should be different.

And again, it’s not about what I want. It’s about the game’s broader image and what these DLC decisions are doing to it. They can have their variants, but space them out or save it for the sequel.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 am And again, it’s not about what I want. It’s about the game’s broader image and what these DLC decisions are doing to it. They can have their variants, but space them out or save it for the sequel.
Why should this matter?
I've played old Budokais, Raging Blasts and all these titles without caring what "mainstream" media think of it :?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 am And again, it’s not about what I want. It’s about the game’s broader image and what these DLC decisions are doing to it. They can have their variants, but space them out or save it for the sequel.
Why should this matter?
I've played old Budokais, Raging Blasts and all these titles without caring what "mainstream" media think of it :?
A good thing too because the mainstream media considers them mostly mediocre. Hell, I'm a DB fan and I consider them mostly mediocre.

That's not to say those games don't have a place, but FighterZ is trying to be something more than that. It actually depends on a mainstream audience to keep going, or at least a dedicated FGC following. It succeeded pretty well so far, which is why they should be trying to carry on the momentum instead of diluting it with uninspired choices that won't excite people outside the hardcore DB fandom.

This is all Bandai producer logic of course, they probably think sticking to variations of the most highly marketable characters IS the way to go. The problem is just because people aren't hardcore fans, doesn't mean they aren't aware there's variety being missed out on. Again, this is why I brought up that podcast, because it's people who aren't hardcore fans but who follow and play the game looking in on these choices and saying "Why? We know there are other characters. We know you've got female Super Saiyans now, why aren't you giving them to us?"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am
Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 am
Why should this matter?
A good thing too because the mainstream media considers them mostly mediocre. Hell, I'm a DB fan and I consider them mostly mediocre.

That's not to say those games don't have a place, but FighterZ is trying to be something more than that. It actually depends on a mainstream audience to keep going, or at least a dedicated FGC following. It succeeded pretty well so far, which is why they should be trying to carry on the momentum instead of diluting it with uninspired choices that won't excite people outside the hardcore DB fandom.

This is all Bandai producer logic of course, they probably think sticking to variations of the most highly marketable characters IS the way to go. The problem is just because people aren't hardcore fans, doesn't mean they aren't aware there's variety being missed out on. Again, this is why I brought up that podcast, because it's people who aren't hardcore fans but who follow and play the game looking in on these choices and saying "Why? We know there are other characters. We know you've got female Super Saiyans now, why aren't you giving them to us?"
Yeah, I feel you... I was happy about Videl and Jiren and even tough, I am happy about Kid Goku simply as a fan, I'd rather for them to keep up the momentum, as they could've added Kefla, Cale or Caulifla, Cabba, some of the new characters as we have almost everyone from DB Super in the roster.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:09 am

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am A good thing too because the mainstream media considers them mostly mediocre.
I don't. Story-wise I prefer Budokai 1 and 3 over FighterZ, for example. I'm not a fighting game enthusiast and FighterZ being competitive won't just put it on top of my list.
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 am I'd rather for them to keep up the momentum, as they could've added Kefla, Cale or Caulifla, Cabba, some of the new characters as we have almost everyone from DB Super in the roster.
Cabba literally has no moveset potential. I watched the anime, read the manga, and I still don't know why people think he would be a viable candidate.

Also wow, one new character added is not from DBS and it's already losing momentum? Why should I let them decide my personal taste?

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:09 am
Kataphrut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am A good thing too because the mainstream media considers them mostly mediocre.
I don't. Story-wise I prefer Budokai 1 and 3 over FighterZ, for example. I'm not a fighting game enthusiast and FighterZ being competitive won't just put it on top of my list.
The story mode in the Budokai games is better, even though B3's looks kinda cheap with it's reliance on using character portraits to convey dialogue. It is a whole lot less repetitive though.

The thing about the Budokai games is though that while the presentation of the game, with models, detailed menu's and fanservice is very very good, the core gameplay is much more limited than Fighterz. Most of the fighters play the same in Budokai and there is a huge gap between different characters while Fighterz is lot more competitive.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:32 am

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statu ... 0782820353

Bandai twitting about it. Hope we get a trailer soon, but they did tease that secret level 3 in the next magazine, right?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 pm

I'd really love to see some original DB characters someday. That notwithstanding, I love everything about this game anyway. My dream character at this point would be Bacterian.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm

movesets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXQo1mEb0_I&t=0s

it's ok but there's no ssj4
Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 am Why should this matter?
They are talking about different things personal taste and quality does not have to look and other games I do not think they have to see here
or one could also argue that one already played with those characters in other games so they expected new characters with other movements.
Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:09 am Cabba literally has no moveset potential. I watched the anime, read the manga, and I still don't know why people think he would be a viable candidate.
true... but caulifla with kale is viable

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

WOOHOO! Kid Goku in DBFZ! He's been my number one requested character! Now if somehow we got Yajirobe, Muten Roshi, and Toppo then the game would officially be perfect in my eyes.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm

He has his tail which makes SS4 that little bit more likely, as he aquired the form in GT shortly after getting his tail back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 pm

The Bandai Namco LatAm Twitter account might've said too much
It's a secret, we suggest you to play with #kidgoku to discover his third transformation
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoLA/statu ... 5591581696

Emphasis mine.

So, if we assume that SS and SS3 are two transformations, that means the secret attack has him take a third form, most likely SSJ4 going by the cheeky answers they give to SSJ4 related responses.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Well at least, probably, Ssj4 will be in this...

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm

I suppose I’ll chime in (really late to the news, I know) and say that I’m one of the people who isn’t crazy about the fact that yet another variant of Goku is apparently being added to the game. While I do like the idea having GT characters in this game, this would be the fourth variant of Goku so far (five if you count Black, but that’s probably unfair). While the Xenoverse games and BT3 also had multiple variants of Goku available, those games also had much larger rosters than this, so it didn’t feel especially blatant. What’s more, we’ll probably get UI Goku somewhere down the line, so that won’t help matters.

At the very least, if they had to include another version of Goku, I’d rather it be OG Dragon Ball Goku, though I guess they figured that giving GT Goku some of the moves he used from the beginning of the manga would be the best of both worlds.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm At the very least, if they had to include another version of Goku, I’d rather it be OG Dragon Ball Goku
"OG Goku this OG Goku that"
Gatekeeping at it's finest. This is why I prefer GT Kid Goku and I'm glad they, ArcSys, made such choice.

I'm tired of hearing people say the same sentences "GT = SSJ4". No! First and foremost, Kid Goku WAS the GT protagonist. He is the same boy as from OG, just with a bigger arsenal of moves to use.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:00 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm At the very least, if they had to include another version of Goku, I’d rather it be OG Dragon Ball Goku
"OG Goku this OG Goku that"
Gatekeeping at it's finest. This is why I prefer GT Kid Goku and I'm glad they, ArcSys, made such choice.

I'm tired of hearing people say the same sentences "GT = SSJ4". No! First and foremost, Kid Goku WAS the GT protagonist. He is the same boy as from OG, just with a bigger arsenal of moves to use.
I mean, I did acknowledge that they seem to be trying to go for the best of both worlds by giving GT Goku some of his moves from OG Dragon Ball, and I ultimately get why they chose that version over his OG self, but it’s still a little disappointing is all I’m saying.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 pm

I never watched GT in its entirety but of the little bit that I saw I don't recall him using the Nyoibo. So I'd like to think that this is the Goku from the 10th anniversary movie. But even if it's the GT version I'm just happy he's here!