Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm

This makes me glad I don’t do the whole convention scene anymore (or at least not nearly as often as I used to), once you hit 30 it starts waning on you when you realize you’re one of the oldest people there, and all this stupid drama just isn’t worth it.

From what I understand, it seems that Vic’s YouTube lawyer threatened to sue the con if they didn’t invite him back? If so that’s beyond shitty and you can’t exactly blame the con if they’re between a rock and a hard place. It feels like a lose-lose situation, either deal with drama or get sued.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm This makes me glad I don’t do the whole convention scene anymore (or at least not nearly as often as I used to), once you hit 30 it starts waning on you when you realize you’re one of the oldest people there, and all this stupid drama just isn’t worth it.

From what I understand, it seems that Vic’s YouTube lawyer threatened to sue the con if they didn’t invite him back? If so that’s beyond shitty and you can’t exactly blame the con if they’re between a rock and a hard place. It feels like a lose-lose situation, either deal with drama or get sued.
His lawyer never said that. He wouldn't go as far as to do that. All he said is that they were negotiating Vic's contract to the con
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Isn't Vic's lawywer that blackface racist alt-right dude? Not a good look at all.

Also, all these people supporting him disgust me

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm

ssj4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:43 pm Isn't Vic's lawywer that blackface racist alt-right dude? Not a good look at all.

No he isn't and the dude has explained that it was just a joke for his black best friend who has been on his channel and he had 0 problem with it
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Blackface is never just a joke for FFS. It's always racist and never acceptable. If you're going to defend it, then buzz off. This isn't worth my time.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Also, Nick follows stuff like Crypto-Fashion on twitter, Count Dankula, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, and Stefan Molyneux

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:56 pm

The Patrolman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm
ssj4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:43 pm Isn't Vic's lawywer that blackface racist alt-right dude? Not a good look at all.

No he isn't and the dude has explained that it was just a joke for his black best friend who has been on his channel and he had 0 problem with it
This isn't 1950.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Guy who believes in space wizard and touches little girls and colleagues inappropriately threatens to sue convention for foreign children's comic and cartoon unless they let him return to a space he is known to abuse to inappropriately touch little girls and colleagues, forever scaring them for life. More at eleven.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:11 pm I'm glad I switched over to being a sub only fan during DBS so this doesn't hurt as much lol The sub is so much better.
Umm...actually, the Japanese DB team is likely to be even worse in regards to this. Japan isn't exactly a paragon of social justice, either. They're SO bad about it, that lawmakers literally had to create separate trains for men and women just so the women wouldn't get groped to death by people on the train!

If we're not hearing anything, it's likely due to that, and the fact that we're not living in Japan.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Actually the MeToo movement has ALSO reached Japan! In much less spectacular fashion but it has. Read this article on Hiroko Konishi and all she had to suffer.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ry/.143311

This is why I will never watch the original Fruits Basket anime.

Also Tomokazu Seki is THE Vic Mignogna of Japan. He's so awful that many actresses dont want to work with him anymore.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm Actually the MeToo movement has ALSO reached Japan! In much less spectacular fashion but it has. Read this article on Hiroko Konishi and all she had to suffer.

Also Tomokazu Seki is THE Vic Mignogna of Japan. He's so awful that many actresses dont want to work with him anymore.
Huh... and there's nothing wrong that we know of in regards to the DB stable? Well that's awesome! Thanks for sharing that!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:35 pm

I dont knwo if that is sarcasm or not but I do hope that the DB Cast is clean when it comes to MeToo issues. I jsut wanted to share those stories because they are relevant and need to be shared. ALSO FUCK AKITARO DAICHI.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm Actually the MeToo movement has ALSO reached Japan! In much less spectacular fashion but it has. Read this article on Hiroko Konishi and all she had to suffer.

God, Tomokazu Seki too? First Daisuke Namikawa, now Seki... the guy was one of my favorite VA's... Who's next, Takehito Koyasu? Toshiyuki Morikawa? Shinichiro Miki?

I hope Nobutoshi Canna hasn't done anything like that. The guy's one of my favorite VA's as well.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:40 pm

ssj4 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:52 pm Blackface is never just a joke for FFS. It's always racist and never acceptable. If you're going to defend it, then buzz off. This isn't worth my time.
No, YOU fuck off. You don’t get to tell others how to post, boy. Go be uppity somewhere else. Right now.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:11 pm I'm glad I switched over to being a sub only fan during DBS so this doesn't hurt as much lol The sub is so much better.
Umm...actually, the Japanese DB team is likely to be even worse in regards to this. Japan isn't exactly a paragon of social justice, either. They're SO bad about it, that lawmakers literally had to create separate trains for men and women just so the women wouldn't get groped to death by people on the train!

If we're not hearing anything, it's likely due to that, and the fact that we're not living in Japan.

This isn’t entirely true. Yes there are women only trains on some lines but then most of the other trains are Co-Ed.

Yes there is a problem with groping on Japanese trains which is why they created the women only trains. But as a woman you can use the co-Ed trains too

I am talking from personal experience here as I've been to Japan a few times. I’ve actually felt safer there than I ever did in the US.

That’s not to say Japan doesn’t have its own issues with Sexism. Because yes it definitely does.

And I didn’t know about Tomokazu Seki and Akitarou Daichi. That is very upsetting as both were favorites of mine.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:35 pm I dont knwo if that is sarcasm or not but I do hope that the DB Cast is clean when it comes to MeToo issues. I jsut wanted to share those stories because they are relevant and need to be shared. ALSO FUCK AKITARO DAICHI.
No no, that isn't sarcastic at all! I really am glad; even if Japanese isn't my preferred DB experience, I still love their work.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 pm

The thing I still don't get about this con situation is how is it a breach of contract for uninviting him? Do these contracts seriously not have any kind of morality clause or "we reserve the right to kick people we don't like" (not in those terms obviously). I don't understand contract law clearly, but the website at the very least says "All guests subject to cancellation". And we never heard anything about breach of contract when they tried to kick Kelamis last year. You'd think he could have just threatened them with that instead of having to put pressure on by going public.

Of course, Kelamis never had a fucking opportunistic lawyer being crowd-funded by hundreds of naive manbabies and right-wing "culture warriors". This is what I mean when I say the fanbase gets what it deserves. It's easy to say they're alright judging by the quality of this forum and presume the overwhelmingly positive response to his re-invitation on Twitter is a vocal minority, but there are clearly enough people donating to this legal campaign that it's been given legitimate influence. And anyone who donates to that campaign is beyond excusable, frankly. You're either a bad person who wants to see accusers punished, or you're an ignorant fool who still believes this is all a conspiracy to get your favourite cartoon voice actor. There's plenty of both to go around judging by the rabid cult-like obsessions that's sprung up around Vic and the subsequent demonisation of people like Monica Rial, Chris Sabat and associates. They're just lying in wait to jump on anyone who expresses an objection with the same tired, flawed lines. "Innocent until proven guilty". "Show me the evidence". "Why wasn't there a police report?" Or my favourite: "X Funimation voice actor (most often female) did bad things too! Look, she was rude to someone on Twitter!"

It's understandable why most sensible people would want to keep quiet, stop engaging in pointless debates and presume this is all over. But the other side had this propaganda mill churning nonstop since this all started and it's only sucking more and more people in. With stuff like this, we're starting to see the impact.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm Also Tomokazu Seki is THE Vic Mignogna of Japan. He's so awful that many actresses dont want to work with him anymore.
Oh damn...

Didn't know that one of my favourite seiyūs had that kind of reputation.

Not really angry but I'm a bit disappointed.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:15 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 pmIt's understandable why most sensible people would want to keep quiet, stop engaging in pointless debates and presume this is all over. But the other side had this propaganda mill churning nonstop since this all started and it's only sucking more and more people in. With stuff like this, we're starting to see the impact.
You literally just summed up a substantial part of how it was that the past 30-someodd years (or more) of the most corrosively idiotic, self-destructive, and amoral political decisions and courses of action in modern North American history were allowed to continue to fester and grow to become eventually seen as "conventional wisdom" without anywhere NEAR enough proper pushback and challenge.

And furthermore, why its so crucially important in general for most sane, rational people to NOT just passively sit by on the sidelines and tell themselves the comforting, passifying lie that "None of this is MY problem" or that "Eventually this'll all blow over and cooler heads will somehow prevail".

I'm talking of course about even MUCH broader, further-reaching issues here than either just this one Mignogna thing, or even MeToo as a collective whole: this post just happened to perfectly land on such a massively crucial piece of why and how it is that propaganda, even of the most blatantly ridiculous and asinine sort and within a more technologically advanced, "hyperconnected" and information-drenched time can manage to still be so effective and override reality and the truth for so many people who OUGHT to know better.

Its not ALL of the reason by any means, but indeed the inaction and passivity of so many average, day to day people who tell themselves "Nobody's stupid or delusional enough to believe THAT" when they see clear examples of grotesque disinformation in the mass media and mass consciousness and who don't allow themselves to think about or acknowledge the widespread acceptance of clear and stark acts of inhumane barbarism and injustice that have persisted for so long that they've become seen as "normal" and "just the way things are"... that inaction and the excuses (many of them unbelievably stupid, cowardly, and self-defeating) that so many people come up with to talk themselves out of getting involved and trying to do something to help fight it is certainly a substantial part of the equation unto itself.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." and all of that.

I find it extra rich and drenched in irony that a subculture and fandom that is so RIFE with people who's entire lives and identities hinge on zealously worshiping and idolizing larger than life fictional fantasy comic book superhero characters like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, the X-Men, or the Avengers, etc...

...and yet who take literally NOTHING of any real value from their examples of what "morality" and "heroism" should be, and either lie down and cower in blind, head-in-the-sand acceptance of real life injustice and barbarism and ignore ample opportunities to step up and live up to the example and ideal set by their fictional heroes in a practical, real life manner that can actually potentially do ACTUAL good for real people... or at worst will gleefully take part themselves in participating in the wreaking of that injustice upon others, acting more or less EXACTLY like the kind of thugs and bullies that their comic books heroes - if they existed in real life somehow - would be utterly repulsed by and would actively fight against and lay down their lives to protect and defend the sorts of people they take such glee in victimizing.

It takes a SPECIAL kind of myopic, uncritical eye and total lack of self-awareness to not spot the obvious oxymoron of a dude on Youtube videos with a room plastered full of Marvel and DC Hero shit (Captain America, Superman, Spider-Man, etc) taking sadistic joy and glee in defending the sleaziest of people who victimize and prey on others, to the point of bullying their victims (or potential victims) just for the petty spite of it.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:39 pm

God, Tomokazu Seki too? First Daisuke Namikawa, now Seki... the guy was one of my favorite VA's... Who's next, Takehito Koyasu? Toshiyuki Morikawa? Shinichiro Miki?

I hope Nobutoshi Canna hasn't done anything like that. The guy's one of my favorite VA's as well.
What has Tomokazu Seki done? What about Daisuke Namikawa?