Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm Oh it almost certainly will be. We will see I suppose, but I have to imagine that will be one of their biggest selling points. Just look at the tweet.
It is a selling point, I'm just worried that it'll be a "and that's why it won't be replacing the Blu-Bricks" selling point.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:09 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm Oh it almost certainly will be. We will see I suppose, but I have to imagine that will be one of their biggest selling points. Just look at the tweet.
It is a selling point, I'm just worried that it'll be a "and that's why it won't be replacing the Blu-Bricks" selling point.
I cannot imagine they will replace the current blu-rays regardless. They have sold too well, and most likely continue to sell well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:09 pm
I cannot imagine they will replace the current blu-rays regardless. They have sold too well, and most likely continue to sell well.
Which is why i will most likely be hanging onto my FUNi Z Dragon Boxes for now given the effort i have invested in getting them, that is of course assuming the masters for this collector's edition release doesn't become the new standard going forward and the Season BD's unfortunately remain their current version of the series available for the forseeable future.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Who confirmed the release is 4:3? Sorry I never saw that news!!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm Who confirmed the release is 4:3? Sorry I never saw that news!!
AnimeMaakuo on the previous page says he talked with a FUNimation representative and they confirmed it. Granted, if it is legit, 4:3 would be the least shocking thing of this set due to the tweets. Still waiting to see if it is actually a good remaster, and if it has the original broadcast audio. That is what's really up in the air.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:26 pm Who confirmed the release is 4:3? Sorry I never saw that news!!
AnimeMaakkuo revealed a page back that he had spoken with a rep from FUNimation who has apparently confirmed that the release is going to be in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio. So at least we now know one important part of the specs the set is going to have, even though the rest of the details have not been officially revealed yet.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 pm

A small part of me is worried that this is just gonna be the current Blu-Ray...ahem..."remasters", but without the cropping.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Well who did he talk to I guess the user is well known in the community 😁

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm Well who did he talk to I guess the user is well known in the community 😁
It's already been said that he's spoken to a FUNimation rep about the set, so apparently he must have some kind of connections at the company or something that has insight into these kinds of things.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm

It's known that Sabat was given the DBZ OBA files, dunno if he was also given the DBGT OBAs too but they're both out there. So, it's just Dragon Ball that's left which is incomplete as far as the OBA source goes but seems to be coming along.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this to be the definitive Dragon Ball Z series (but FUNimation always says so) release but I hope it's worth buying. CC would be nice but again, that may be something fans have to work on to achieve it.

As long as it's 4:3 AR and uncut then it does its job. :)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm It's known that Sabat was given the DBZ OBA files, dunno if he was also given the DBGT OBAs too but they're both out there. So, it's just Dragon Ball that's left which is incomplete as far as the OBA source goes but seems to be coming along.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this to be the definitive Dragon Ball Z series (but FUNimation always says so) release but I hope it's worth buying. CC would be nice but again, that may be something fans have to work on to achieve it.

As long as it's 4:3 AR and uncut then it does its job. :)
Same here too, so far at this point it's really only been the Z Dragon Boxes that have come the closest to a definitive release in most areas to that but i do have high hopes that this set delivers for those who have been clamoring to get a good HD release of the series in the original aspect ratio.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Current Blu Rays are starting to show their age so maybe Funi will make this the standard release after this, but that's just a pipe dream.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm
Current Blu Rays are starting to show their age so maybe Funi will make this the standard release after this, but that's just a pipe dream.
There's a chance they might in the future maybe, i mean it's not completely impossible to think that they could potentially change that at some point down the road and make these new masters the standard going forward with a non collector regular edition re release.

Who knows, the Season BD's could perhaps not remain the de facto releases in perpetuity and FUNi will see if enough people are interested in this release to make a change on that after all. That's not to say it will absolutely happen 100% guaranteed, but you just never know with them.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 pm
There's a chance they might in the future maybe, i mean it's not completely impossible to think that they could potentially lly change that at some point down the road and make these new masters the standard going forward with a non collector regular edition re release.

Who knows, the Season BD's could perhaps not remain the de facto releases in perpetuity and FUNi will see if enough people are interested in this release to make a change on that after all. That's not to say it will absolutely happen 100% guaranteed, but you just never know with them.
A lot nowadays seem to hate black bars and would rather have it fill up the screen. FUNimation could satisfy both fans by including the 4:3 AR and then some kind of an automated feature on the Blu-rays to fill the entire screen.

Yeah, folks can do that with the settings on the TV but most want it all done.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 pm
There's a chance they might in the future maybe, i mean it's not completely impossible to think that they could potentially lly change that at some point down the road and make these new masters the standard going forward with a non collector regular edition re release.

A lot nowadays seem to hate black bars and would rather have it fill up the screen. FUNimation could satisfy both fans by including the 4:3 AR and then some kind of an automated feature on the Blu-rays to fill the entire screen.

That would certainly be a good way to go for those specific sets of people who just got to have their content filling the entire width of the frame on their TV's, and the original 4:3 aspect ratio can still be there on the discs for those other fans who want to see the series how it was truly intended to be seen. I could certainly see them doing it as a sort of best of both worlds type thing so they will satisfy each side of the aisle who prefer one of the two. Better than chopping off a large chunk of the picture on the top and bottom to a fake widescreen then making that the only version of the show available, i would be willing to accept something along those lines because then you would have the option for whichever you personally prefer.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

While I'm sure FUNi will at least try and get permission for it, I have a hard time believing Toei would let them release the broadcast audio. From blocking the TFS cameo in Kai Final Chapters to not allowing Mark de Groot to dub Super's first opening, expecting them to allow the use of an audio track not even quality checked isn't exactly promising. It's not impossible, but if we ultimately don't get it in this definitive release, I won't be surprised and it'll be confirmation that we will never get it officially.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm

I think that grain is a problem as well with how mainstream audiences don't understand that it is needed to keep lines and details intact. I had someone call me a "fanboy" just because I didn't want DNR done to the show.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:02 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:40 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm I hate to be Captain Bringdown, but even if it's 4:3 there's still no reason to be excited unless it's confirmed Toei will not be censoring it like they did the movies in Japan, at least not to me.
Well, no reason for you to be excited. How much the censorship matters does vary from user to user.
Well if it’s 4:3 and has good remastering like the Levels or, hell, just a complete version of the Levels, if it has the middle fingers censored I’ll have to think about it and I won’t like it but probably buy it because at least it’s on Blu-ray. If it has broadcast audio by some miracle I’ll definitely buy it. Either way I won’t ditch my DBoxes.

But even with 4:3 there are still two worrying factors - the censoring, and also the audio. For some reason Toei’s new movie remaster has somehow even shittier audio. I hope that doesn’t happen again.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm

I think that grain is a problem as well with how mainstream audiences don't understand that it is needed to keep lines and details intact. I had someone call me a "fanboy" just because I didn't want DNR done to the show.
Yeah, if things like the god awful smear fests of the early Orange Bricks and the Season BD's are anything to go by then DNR when overdone really does no favors to the image.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:02 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:40 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm I hate to be Captain Bringdown, but even if it's 4:3 there's still no reason to be excited unless it's confirmed Toei will not be censoring it like they did the movies in Japan, at least not to me.
Well, no reason for you to be excited. How much the censorship matters does vary from user to user.
Well if it’s 4:3 and has good remastering like the Levels or, hell, just a complete version of the Levels, if it has the middle fingers censored I’ll have to think about it and I won’t like it but probably buy it because at least it’s on Blu-ray. If it has broadcast audio by some miracle I’ll definitely buy it. Either way I won’t ditch my DBoxes.

But even with 4:3 there are still two worrying factors - the censoring, and also the audio. For some reason Toei’s new movie remaster has somehow even shittier audio. I hope that doesn’t happen again.
I have my fingers crossed as well that they don't shoot themselves in the foot by arbitrarily editing the show for whatever ridiculous BS reason, because really the show should remain as is like how it originally was and has been released every other time on TV and home video with little to no issue.