Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 pmA lot nowadays seem to hate black bars and would rather have it fill up the screen. FUNimation could satisfy both fans by including the 4:3 AR and then some kind of an automated feature on the Blu-rays to fill the entire screen.

Yeah, folks can do that with the settings on the TV but most want it all done.
Can Blu-Rays zoom in like that? I'm not aware that they can.

Also as mentioned, mos 4:3 shows and films on Blu-Ray have the black bars (be they on the sides or top and bottom) as part of the actual video file to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, and most likely to play nice with as many TVs as possible. And as I mentioned, many TVs won't allow you to zoom in on the picture if it's 16:9 (my modern 4K HDR Samsung TV has this and it only came out last year).
Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:02 pm Well if it’s 4:3 and has good remastering like the Levels or, hell, just a complete version of the Levels, if it has the middle fingers censored I’ll have to think about it and I won’t like it but probably buy it because at least it’s on Blu-ray. If it has broadcast audio by some miracle I’ll definitely buy it. Either way I won’t ditch my DBoxes.

But even with 4:3 there are still two worrying factors - the censoring, and also the audio. For some reason Toei’s new movie remaster has somehow even shittier audio. I hope that doesn’t happen again.
I personally am not too fussed about the middle fingers, but my preference is for them to be kept. Which may actually be possible, as the set sounds like a very niche, boutique item and thus not really something you buy for your kids. On the audio, I think if Funi feel Toei's provided japanese audio is poorer they'll probably swap in their own recordings from the Orange/Blu-Bricks.

All that said, I wouldn't sell my DBoxes for this set even if I did have them. I know I won't sell my OG Dragon Box if they get around to covering the original show.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 pmA lot nowadays seem to hate black bars and would rather have it fill up the screen. FUNimation could satisfy both fans by including the 4:3 AR and then some kind of an automated feature on the Blu-rays to fill the entire screen.

Yeah, folks can do that with the settings on the TV but most want it all done.
Can Blu-Rays zoom in like that? I'm not aware that they can.

Also as mentioned, mos 4:3 shows and films on Blu-Ray have the black bars (be they on the sides or top and bottom) as part of the actual video file to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, and most likely to play nice with as many TVs as possible. And as I mentioned, many TVs won't allow you to zoom in on the picture if it's 16:9 (my modern 4K HDR Samsung TV has this and it only came out last year).
Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:02 pm Well if it’s 4:3 and has good remastering like the Levels or, hell, just a complete version of the Levels, if it has the middle fingers censored I’ll have to think about it and I won’t like it but probably buy it because at least it’s on Blu-ray. If it has broadcast audio by some miracle I’ll definitely buy it. Either way I won’t ditch my DBoxes.

But even with 4:3 there are still two worrying factors - the censoring, and also the audio. For some reason Toei’s new movie remaster has somehow even shittier audio. I hope that doesn’t happen again.
I personally am not too fussed about the middle fingers, but my preference is for them to be kept. Which may actually be possible, as the set sounds like a very niche, boutique item and thus not really something you buy for your kids. On the audio, I think if Funi feel Toei's provided japanese audio is poorer they'll probably swap in their own recordings from the Orange/Blu-Bricks.

All that said, I wouldn't sell my DBoxes for this set even if I did have them. I know I won't sell my OG Dragon Box if they get around to covering the original show.
I wouldn't know if BD's really do have that type of function, but it would be interesting were that indeed the case if they would do such a release of the series along the lines of what JohnnyCashKami mentioned. I would definitely prefer that over the top and bottom being chopped off to fake widescreen for which it was never framed or intended, and have the proper 4:3 version too for those who just want to watch the show in the format it really was meant to be seen.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:35 pm I wouldn't know if BD's really do have that type of function, but it would be interesting were that indeed the case if they would do such a release of the series along the lines of what JohnnyCashKami mentioned. I would definitely prefer that over the top and bottom being chopped off to fake widescreen for which it was never framed or intended, and have the proper 4:3 version too for those who just want to watch the show in the format it really was meant to be seen.
Agreed. Given the attitudes of folks who prefer their trashy anime explosion shows to take up the whole screen, I HIGHLY doubt they'd give two flying fu-, er, Nimbus', about selective cropping like with the Blu-Bricks and the broadcast Kai.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:35 pm I wouldn't know if BD's really do have that type of function, but it would be interesting were that indeed the case if they would do such a release of the series along the lines of what JohnnyCashKami mentioned. I would definitely prefer that over the top and bottom being chopped off to fake widescreen for which it was never framed or intended, and have the proper 4:3 version too for those who just want to watch the show in the format it really was meant to be seen.
Agreed. Given the attitudes of folks who prefer their trashy anime explosion shows to take up the whole screen, I HIGHLY doubt they'd give two flying fu-, er, Nimbus', about selective cropping like with the Blu-Bricks and the broadcast Kai.
Yeah, and FUNi really pushed as hard as they could with their advertising back in 2007 to justify (badly) their reasoning for the cutting off nearly half the image. With such classic buzz word phrases as "a more cinematic viewing experience" and "revealing more of the image than ever before" which was complete and utter BS because they were destroying the intended framing of the image, and literally almost zero thought or effort was put into the actual transfer to 16:9 because it was more or less a dead center crop that straight up zoomed into the image and cut off parts of the picture that are supposed to be seen. What's really a kicker about it is there was no amount of logic or reasoning that could excuse it, because they could have also just as easily put out their pre existing digibeta masters albeit with some touching up on the season sets instead and they would still have been hotcake sellers just the same. I believed then and still do that the DNR'ing and cropping were absolutely pointless decisions because there was basically almost nothing that was gained from doing so.

I think FUNi really shot themselves in the foot and caused a bunch of needless grief when they chose to go that route with the remastering and all of the deceptive buzz words and outright false statements in the advertising, all of this could've been avoided if they had just let it be back then and put the show out as is.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 pm

I’ve been told there are no plans to censor anything. :)
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:50 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 pm I’ve been told there are no plans to censor anything. :)
Awesome news, so that's one less thing we have to worry about regarding this new BD release. :thumbup:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:27 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 pm I’ve been told there are no plans to censor anything. :)
Have you been told when we can expect some more details and pre-order info?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 am

Forte224 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:27 am
Have you been told when we can expect some more details and pre-order info?
Not yet, but I’ll keep you posted.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 am

jelleline89 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pmWhile I'm sure FUNi will at least try and get permission for it, I have a hard time believing Toei would let them release the broadcast audio. From blocking the TFS cameo in Kai Final Chapters to not allowing Mark de Groot to dub Super's first opening, expecting them to allow the use of an audio track not even quality checked isn't exactly promising. It's not impossible, but if we ultimately don't get it in this definitive release, I won't be surprised and it'll be confirmation that we will never get it officially.
Why WOULD they have gotten Mark to make an English version? They usually get someone who's at least worked for them in the past to do their covers, hence why Natewantstobattle got to do the cover of the second theme. And, also, that wasn't even Toei's doing. That was a separate thing with either the music label that owns the license to the song, or the Japanese singer, since he recorded his own English version before the dub even started production. Forcing FUNi to remove TFS' dub of that one scene in Kai TFC was also a matter of pride for Toei, since they hate TFS for DBZA, so that was no surprise. Using the broadcast audio, I think, is entirely up to FUNi, since Toei couldn't care less about using it. The only way I can see it being an issue is if they don't wanna use it themselves & REALLY don't want anyone in Japan to reverse import the sets, so they might force them to use the muffled audio, but if Toei just gets the copies of the episodes from FUNi after their audio engineers put it all together, then they literally have to do nothing else but use them on their discs.
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pmI think that grain is a problem as well with how mainstream audiences don't understand that it is needed to keep lines and details intact. I had someone call me a "fanboy" just because I didn't want DNR done to the show.
And that'd be your cue to tell them to fuck off for being idiots.
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 pmCan Blu-Rays zoom in like that? I'm not aware that they can.

Also as mentioned, most 4:3 shows and films on Blu-Ray have the black bars (be they on the sides or top and bottom) as part of the actual video file to fit the 16:9 aspect ratio, and most likely to play nice with as many TVs as possible. And as I mentioned, many TVs won't allow you to zoom in on the picture if it's 16:9 (my modern 4K HDR Samsung TV has this and it only came out last year).
Actually, most films DON'T have the black bars outside of animated (pre-90s) films & pre-mid 60s films when the film stock used was directly for the widescreen theater screens. TV shows are different. live action ones that were shot on film & are able to successfully be upgraded to widescreen without issue usually are done like that. However, if they can't, they're usually just stuck on DVD unless they're like Discoteck Media that does that "SD on Blu-Ray" stuff, but even then. And, actually I mentioned to you, I think, that, yes, TVs WILL allow you to zoom in. You just need to know how to do it. Even with 16:9.
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 pmI’ve been told there are no plans to censor anything. :)
Awesome.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:26 pm The 30th anniversary will have 4:3. Oops! :)
Oo, me likey.

Alright, I'm sold on this set. I have a surplus of Goku figures/statues, so I might need to workout space for a new one, but I actually want the artbook. I will happily grab and share screenshots whenever the set comes in.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:23 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:32 pm I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on this, but I recall hearing from someone here on this forum that 16:9 is a requirement for Blu-Rays, so when 4:3 content is being used, the pillar bars on the sides are part of the actual video in order to make it work. This of course would mean that most TVs won't be able to use the zoom function to get that Orange Brick look.
It's not. The pillars on the sides are a result of how they program the parameters of the frames in the video codec. It's the same with when widescreen versions of movies & TV shows started being put on DVDs. The black bars appeared on the tops & bottoms of the 4:3 screens of old TVs as to not mess with the image. If widescreen was required for Blu-Rays, then everything would be cropped or stretched to 16:9.
Also, consider some of the Viz Media Sailor Moon DVDs, which were programmed with 16:9 in mind &, thus, if you tried to watch them with a DVD player on a 4:3 TV, the episodes would be in a black box for no reason. If Blu-Rays were specifically made for 16:9, a similar thing would happen, like I said, where the video would be stretched or something to fit the entire extended frame.
720p and 1080p content on Blu-ray is required to be 1280/1920 pixels on the horizontal axis respectively (so 16:9). Only way to get player-generated horizontal black bars (native 4:3) is to use 1080i or SD.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 am

Is that keep it uncensored, or not to add more censoring on top of whatever footage they're already using? It's an important detail if it's coming from Toei!
Scsigs wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 am Actually, most films DON'T have the black bars outside of animated (pre-90s) films & pre-mid 60s films when the film stock used was directly for the widescreen theater screens. TV shows are different. live action ones that were shot on film & are able to successfully be upgraded to widescreen without issue usually are done like that. However, if they can't, they're usually just stuck on DVD unless they're like Discoteck Media that does that "SD on Blu-Ray" stuff, but even then. And, actually I mentioned to you, I think, that, yes, TVs WILL allow you to zoom in. You just need to know how to do it. Even with 16:9.
Well I was more referring to on the disc itself, not the original film stock.

As mentioned, my 4KTV (and the older model I had before it as a matter of fact) flat out WILL NOT let me zoom in on 16:9 footage. I tried it on all my 4:3 Blu-Rays: DBZ Kai, Red Dwarf and Pokémon, and I couldn't zoom in on any of them via my TV. In fact, even my My Life As A Teenage Robot DVD running on my PS3 can't be zoomed in, and that's 4:3 even in the menus!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 am

Really? I’ll have to try this out. It seems like a strange feature to remove.
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:26 pm The 30th anniversary will have 4:3. Oops! :)
I hope this is true. I’m going to just believe it is, cuz I want to not worry about this anymore. But I have no reason to suspect you would lie. :)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 am Really? I’ll have to try this out. It seems like a strange feature to remove.
Agreed. I think on my TV it only shows up if the signal is abjectly not 16:9, so for example if I plugged my PS2 into it. My PS3 outputs a 1080p signal so I can't zoom in on it without using the PS3's feature to do so (which I imagine is a feature that cannot be guaranteed for all players; I haven't seen it on my PS4 for instance).

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am

Everyone seems to be confused on my "extending frame" idea I proposed. People think I'm talking about funimation's blu-rays/orange bricks or Kai TFC when I wasn't. I was talking about the original run of kai on japanese TVs. This is what I'm referring to.
My idea for the new blu-rays would be the image at the top.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am

so who has confirmed this is 4X3 ?

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
that's Pushing it.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am

mikezilla2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am so who has confirmed this is 4X3 ?
AnimeMaakuo, via a FUNi representative who as of yet remains unnamed.

And if this is indeed true... Dear FUNi: Don't you dare make this footage exclusive to this one, limited release. This should absolutely be what you put on all streaming platforms that have the series, and a stripped-down, bare-bones budget home video release with this same footage also needs to happen at some point in time. Heck, keep the currently existing season sets in print and just throw this footage up as an alternate version for all I care, just GIVE FANS THE SHOW IN ITS PROPER ASPECT RATION ALREADY.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 am

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:33 am
mikezilla2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:18 am so who has confirmed this is 4X3 ?
AnimeMaakuo, via a FUNi representative who as of yet remains unnamed.

And if this is indeed true... Dear FUNi: Don't you dare make this footage exclusive to this one, limited release. This should absolutely be what you put on all streaming platforms that have the series, and a stripped-down, bare-bones budget home video release with this same footage also needs to happen at some point in time. Heck, keep the currently existing season sets in print and just throw this footage up as an alternate version for all I care, just GIVE FANS THE SHOW IN ITS PROPER ASPECT RATION ALREADY.

can you link to it ?

and someone said something about a youtuber - emporur D or something ?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:43 am

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
It's not going to be on UHD Blu-Ray. That would only cost more to remaster for a lower return as most episodes are 16mm (which is too low for 4K) and naturally have a higher MSRP. Remember other than Kai and the movies Dragon Ball Z hasn't been released on Blu-Ray in Japan. TOEI will want to milk that before they ever consider going to 4K.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: