Article 13 and Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Article 13 and Dragon Ball

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:52 pm

For those who aren't aware, earlier today, Article 13 and 11 were passed by the EU.

Condensed breakdown for the logistics of Article 13:
Commercial sites and apps where users can post material must make “best efforts” to preemptively buy licences for anything that users may possibly upload – that is: all copyrighted content in the world. An impossible feat.

In addition, all but very few sites (those both tiny and very new) will need to do everything in their power to prevent anything from ever going online that may be an unauthorised copy of a work that a rightsholder has registered with the platform. They will have no choice but to deploy upload filters, which are by their nature both expensive and error-prone.

Should a court ever find their licensing or filtering efforts not fierce enough, sites are directly liable for infringements as if they had committed them themselves. This massive threat will lead platforms to over-comply with these rules to stay on the safe side, further worsening the impact on our freedom of speech.
Condensed breakdown for the logistics of Article 11 (The "Link Tax"):
The final version of this extra copyright for news sites closely resembles the version that already failed in Germany – only this time not limited to search engines and news aggregators, meaning it will do damage to a lot more websites.

Reproducing more than “single words or very short extracts” of news stories will require a licence. That will likely cover many of the snippets commonly shown alongside links today in order to give you an idea of what they lead to. We will have to wait and see how courts interpret what “very short” means in practice – until then, hyperlinking (with snippets) will be mired in legal uncertainty.
No exceptions are made even for services run by individuals, small companies or non-profits, which probably includes any monetised blogs or websites.
How does this affect the Dragon Ball fandom you may ask... simple...

For European citizens, if any user produces any kind video or visual material (i.e. fanart and gifs) that utilizes any kind officially licensed Dragon Ball media -- video games, films, TV anime etc, it may no longer be possible to upload the material onto YouTube, Twitter or any kind of social media platform. Because the content provider will need provide evidence that he and/or she was given authorization to make the content in the first place.

And with literally hundreds of hours of video content uploaded to sharing sites like YouTube, Twitter and Facebook being provided every minute, not to mention all the fanart that is distributed across various platforms like DeviantArt and Patreon, it will be impossible for those kind of sites to verify and determine what kind of content will be allowed to be distributed and what falls under copyright infringement.

That's where the IP copyright holders come in, and this is where shit gets horrible...

IP copyright holders for film, TV, music and all forms of media have basically now been granted carte blanche to monetize or just outright take down any kind of fan-made material uploaded to any kind of social media that features content that belongs to them. Regardless of whether the fan-made material being produced is done so in a non-commercial capacity or not.

All kinds of content uploaded on the internet in Europe -- regardless of the platform it's uploaded on or whether it falls under fair use -- will now have to be checked, authorized and licensed for copyright ownership. The template of YouTube's Content ID system -- which is already deeply flawed as it is -- will now be used EVERYWHERE on EVERYTHING.

The only way firms and users will be exempt from the logistics of Article 13 is if they fall under all 3 of these categories:
- They have been available to the public for less than three years
- They have a turnover of less than 10 million Euros annually
- They have less than 5 million unique visitors monthly

Prominent European based Dragon Ball content uploaders such as TotallyNotMark and AnimeAjay are going to be affected by this. So many small websites are going to be hit hard by this as they will lack the power to negotiate fair licensing deals and the upload filters that will be needed to determine whether the content uploaded to their sites falls under copyright infringement or not will be insanely expensive for them. So there could several small websites that may have to shut down entirely because of Article 13.

Imagine the censorship that the Chinese Government enforces over the internet in China... this is even WORSE than that. It's a downright violation of free speech and will cripple the production of all kinds of content from the Dragon Ball fandom in Europe. As a citizen of the EU (for now), and fan of Dragon Ball fan-made content, this situation is fucking terrible.

EDIT: Sharing memes and GIFs will still be allowed under the new laws. If that means anything substantial to some people...
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Re: Article 13 and Dragon Ball

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm

This is extremely screwed up for the people of the EU and the internet itself. No doubt Brexit will happen now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Geeze Louise what a bullshit load of a law this thing is, i can imagine that a lot of people including Dragon Ball fans in the EU are going to be rightfully pissed off and up in arms because we're talking heavy handed draconian bureaucratic/government controlled censorship and atrocious IP copyright policing over every single facet of the Internet. I really hope that something on the level or scale of this does not get introduced here in U.S. in any way shape or form.

I feel really bad for all those people over there who are now going to be crushed under the terms of this ugly monster of a law.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Wow this is mind boggling. Without being able to post fan-art, fan-works, gifs, and screenshots all I'd be left with is my nature photography reblogs and my short plain-text comments on shows/videogames. I'm in the U.S. so my posts aren't personally affected, but how could Europe do that?

That's like taking the internet back to where it was before there even was a world wide web, isn't it?

I like Ajay's DB animation videos; does this effectively end his opportunity to make those? I follow MasakoX's channel also; does this end MasakoX's What-ifs too?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Chuquita wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pm Wow this is mind boggling. Without being able to post fan-art, fan-works, gifs, and screenshots all I'd be left with is my nature photography reblogs and my short plain-text comments on shows/videogames.

That's like taking the internet back to where it was before there even was a world wide web, isn't it?

I like Ajay's DB animation videos; does this effectively end his opportunity to make those? I follow MasakoX' channel also; does this end MasakoX's What-ifs too?
Yeah, i would definitely be screwed if i were living over there right now and doing all of those things. That is what's so infuriating thing about this, because now the European fans who express their love for the franchise at large by way of such particular mediums as those are going to be unfairly limited and weighed down upon by these absolutely terrible laws.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:49 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm This is extremely screwed up for the people of the EU and the internet itself. No doubt Brexit will happen now.
Don't doubt the ignorance of the House Of Parliament.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm aware of what the EU is doing and what they're trying to ban/get rid of and I'm really glad that Britain is exiting the EU so that they don't have to deal with EU's bullshit. At this point, internet within EU countries (because remember that Europe and EU are two different things altogether) will be heavily censored and restricted which means people are forced to use VPNs if they want to access content freely that they were able to before.
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:52 pmFor European citizens
There are also Europeans living in the Americas, Asia and Ocean Pacific but yeah, this applies specifically to Europeans and others living in EU countries.
SaiyaSith wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm This is extremely screwed up for the people of the EU and the internet itself. No doubt Brexit will happen now.
I'm surprised that Italy, Hungary and Poland haven't officially went forth to leave the EU too. They [EU] says that there's a "special place in hell" for Brexit supporters because, you know, god forbid a country wants their independence back from a rotten organization that has done more harm than good.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pmin Europe
* EU countries. The European countries decided to join the EU organization so there's a Europe-EU and a Europe non-EU.
Chuquita wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pmhow could Europe do that?
Europe didn't do that. EU did.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:03 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 pm I'm aware of what the EU is doing and what they're trying to ban/get rid of and I'm really glad that Britain is exiting the EU so that they don't have to deal with EU's bullshit. At this point, internet within EU countries (because remember that Europe and EU are two different things altogether) will be heavily censored and restricted which means people are forced to use VPNs if they want to access content freely that they were able to before.
I'm surprised that Italy, Hungary and Poland haven't officially went forth to leave the EU too. They [EU] says that there's a "special place in hell" for Brexit supporters because, you know, god forbid a country wants their independence back from a rotten organization that has done more harm than good.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pmin Europe
* EU countries. The European countries decided to join the EU organization so there's a Europe-EU and a Europe non-EU.
Chuquita wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pmhow could Europe do that?
Europe didn't do that. EU did.
Oops, accidentally made a little mistake there because i actually meant to say EU but typed in Europe instead.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 am

This sucks.

This could mean that not widely released or rarest localizations of Dragon Ball like the Valencian dub or the Romanian voice-over may get lost forever.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 am

This Article (which is now Article 17) is bullshit. Although there’s still hope as it will take a while until it comes into effect in all of Europe (I think the limit is for all countries to adopt it by 2021?) so it can still be contested and eliminated, and I hope that it will because it’s headcratchingly complicated.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am

This would majorly impact fandom and fan creations. I realize that I consume about as much fan created material as official one. Companies should be aware by now how important fandom culture is. Feeling the need to control absolutely every aspect of how your IP's are viewed and discussed is really scary.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:24 am

Tian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 am This sucks.

This could mean that not widely released or rarest localizations of Dragon Ball like the Valencian dub or the Romanian voice-over may get lost forever.
To get those dubs, there's really no other way than to rely on fans to share among themselves because it's extremely unlikely it'll ever get an official release. Especially now. Hell, even Portugal never bothered to release their Portuguese dub of Dragon Ball Z on DVD (the Z movies were published on DVD but very poorly).
emperior wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 am This Article (which is now Article 17) is bullshit. Although there’s still hope as it will take a while until it comes into effect in all of Europe (I think the limit is for all countries to adopt it by 2021?) so it can still be contested and eliminated, and I hope that it will because it’s headcratchingly complicated.
EU =/= Europe

But still, if this bs affects the entire continent because of the EU.. ugh.
Michsi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am This would majorly impact fandom and fan creations. I realize that I consume about as much fan created material as official one. Companies should be aware by now how important fandom culture is. Feeling the need to control absolutely every aspect of how your IP's are viewed and discussed is really scary.
This already happens. ISPs log what everyone does so if someone downloads something illegal then they can use against the customer to send a threatening email (which may just be that, a threat and nothing more) or pass it on to the copyright holders and then a lawsuit against the downloader may take place. Not too long ago Sony bought a hacked PS4 on eBay and then sued the seller and Nintendo tried to take down as many Nintendo ROMs from pirated websites as possible.

Piracy sucks but most of the dubs made for Dragon Ball's franchise are hard to acquire if not via Torrent/DDL so even buying them legally isn't an option. The Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT never got an official VHS/DVD release. :(

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:31 am

This is truly fucked up and supported by only 1% of the population over the will of the masses.

Copyright is such bullshit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:24 am
Tian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 am This sucks.

To get those dubs, there's really no other way than to rely on fans to share among themselves because it's extremely unlikely it'll ever get an official release. Especially now. Hell, even Portugal never bothered to release their Portuguese dub of Dragon Ball Z on DVD (the Z movies were published on DVD but very poorly).
emperior wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 am This Article (which is now Article 17) is bullshit. Although there’s still hope as it will take a while until it comes into effect in all of Europe (I think the limit is for all countries to adopt it by 2021?) so it can still be contested and eliminated, and I hope that it will because it’s headcratchingly complicated.
EU =/= Europe

But still, if this bs affects the entire continent because of the EU.. ugh.
Michsi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am This would majorly impact fandom and fan creations. I realize that I consume about as much fan created material as official one. Companies should be aware by now how important fandom culture is. Feeling the need to control absolutely every aspect of how your IP's are viewed and discussed is really scary.
This already happens. ISPs log what everyone does so if someone downloads something illegal then they can use against the customer to send a threatening email (which may just be that, a threat and nothing more) or pass it on to the copyright holders and then a lawsuit against the downloader may take place. Not too long ago Sony bought a hacked PS4 on eBay and then sued the seller and Nintendo tried to take down as many Nintendo ROMs from pirated websites as possible.

Piracy sucks but most of the dubs made for Dragon Ball's franchise are hard to acquire if not via Torrent/DDL so even buying them legally isn't an option. The Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT never got an official VHS/DVD release. :(
Wow, it was quite a doozy reading the breakdown of the laws at the top of the thread. This is going to be one giant bomb on those fans over there and i really hate it for them that the pinheads in the parliament approved of this absolutely horrendous thing. I seriously hope against nope that something like these laws are never considered here because this goes beyond simple regulation but outright bureaucracy/government controlled censorship and heavy handed IP copyright enforcement, and that's going to make a lot of people's lives hell for those who do things including fan art and the like.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 am

You guys think license holders will spend that much time and money to squash fan art?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 am

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 am You guys think license holders will spend that much time and money to squash fan art?
From what I understood they will implement a system that will detect copyrighted material before you even get to upload it. How they will do that, I have no idea, but look how well and accurate Tumblr's system detects nsfw material.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 am

Michsi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 am
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:35 am You guys think license holders will spend that much time and money to squash fan art?
From what I understood they will implement a system that will detect copyrighted material before you even get to upload it. How they will do that, I have no idea, but look how well and accurate Tumblr's system detects nsfw material.
That feels like less of a free speech issue and more of a tech issue.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 amWow, it was quite a doozy reading the breakdown of the laws at the top of the thread. This is going to be one giant bomb on those fans over there and i really hate it for them that the pinheads in the parliament approved of this absolutely horrendous thing. I seriously hope against nope that something like these laws are never considered here because this goes beyond simple regulation but outright bureaucracy/government controlled censorship and heavy handed IP copyright enforcement, and that's going to make a lot of people's lives hell for those who do things including fan art and the like.
They're just going to force people to use VPNs daily to bypass their nonsense but that already happens, anyway. The EU was supposed to be that great of a utopia but it was a huge mistake, even moreso for so many countries to actually join them and now Europe is stained thanks to the EU. EU made European countries go borderless and there are even "EU Roads" which means you can drive on a highway freely to another country without anyone checking if you're eligible or your history, or if you carry weapons.

Most of the time when people say "Europe" they actually mean the EU and "European values" it's rather "EU values", both things which are entirely. I frankly wouldn't care about politics if they didn't affect my/our lives but they do.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:48 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 amWow, it was quite a doozy reading the breakdown of the laws at the top of the thread. This is going to be one giant bomb on those fans over there and i really hate it for them that the pinheads in the parliament approved of this absolutely horrendous thing. I seriously hope against nope that something like these laws are never considered here because this goes beyond simple regulation but outright bureaucracy/government controlled censorship and heavy handed IP copyright enforcement, and that's going to make a lot of people's lives hell for those who do things including fan art and the like.
They're just going to force people to use VPNs daily to bypass their nonsense but that already happens, anyway. The EU was supposed to be that great of a utopia but it was a huge mistake, even moreso for so many countries to actually join them and now Europe is stained thanks to the EU. EU made European countries go borderless and there are even "EU Roads" which means you can drive on a highway freely to another country without anyone checking if you're eligible or your history, or if you carry weapons.

Most of the time when people say "Europe" they actually mean the EU and "European values" it's rather "EU values", both things which are entirely. I frankly wouldn't care about politics if they didn't affect my/our lives but they do.
Yeah, i figured that they most likely aren't just gong to take these bullshit laws lying down and are going to use whatever means necessary including but not limited to VPN's to get around them.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 am
Michsi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 am
That feels like less of a free speech issue and a tech issue.
Depends what they're actual aim here is. You think they would spend extra money to refine the system enough so that it can differentiate between what would be considered parody, criticism and non-profit fanwork and actual harmful illegal uploads? Or are they more than happy to let it cover a wider range of what they'd consider infringements.

People will try to find ways to circumvent that automatic detection. Who wants to see Dragon Ball fan art in cubism?