Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:12 pm I think shots like the one below show the poor image quality of the multi generational masters that FUNimation has of the series really shows, here's a comparison of a shot of Goku in episode 1 which in particular is the worst looking out of them on FUNi's releases with the Dragon Box version of the exact same scene.

FUNi: (I capped this years ago from the copy of the first UUE single that i used to own but no longer have)
Personally I think that's more down to the colour grading. The "crush the blacks" approach to Goku's hair results in a loss of detail in the shaded parts of the trees, and the blue of Goku's undershirt is severely dark and undersaturated, much like the greens in the Blue Bricks:

Yeah, on the UUE shot the black level basically blends Goku's hair into the trees unlike the Dragon Box version where the two are clearly distinguishable with the color grading as you mention. The shirt is an obvious one, because it's pushed to the point where the blue color is all but dialed down to nothing but a pitch black which it shouldn't actually be at all.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 pm Well one thing is that Funi's version of episode 1, for whatever reason, is in ESPECIALLY worse condition than all of the other episodes. I remember Mike commenting on that in his review of Level 1.1 and it being a consistent thing across all of their releases, and I think even a rep confirmed it.
No doubt, that shot that came to mind when i was posting images and then i remembered just how awful it looked with the quality and everything especially next to the Dragon Box. There's also an excessive amount of grain in comparison to the latter, though again that has to do with the nature of the multi gen source of the copy that FUNi has.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:08 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:16 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:20 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 am Well, for the lucky 3k pre-order customers at least.
To be clear, none of the signatures or emails are for pre-orders, they're for expressions of interest. Nobody is guaranteed a copy yet.
3000 is also the number of pre-orders they will need once those go live. But that's simply a minimum pre-order number, there's nothing indicating that's all that will be available.
They'll make more as long as it's in print for months to even years.
ect5150 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 amI agree here... especially when I see those green sky pics from the Vegeta fight again from the DBox. I believe it was green during the Kai remaster too, correct?

As someone who first saw that battle on VHS fansub copies from Japan (multiple gen copy I'm sure) - that sky wasn't green. I feel the levels set was closer to the original broadcast.
No. Kai used a color pallet more in-line with the manga. Thus, actually blue skies, as we'd expect. Kai TFC has a light green tint, but it doesn't alter the sky's color as badly as the Dragon Boxes did.
KBABZ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 am I wouldn't call them pre-orders as such...
FUNimation wrote:In the coming weeks, we’ll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period for fans to reserve their copy of this must-have collector’s edition. And while we’d like to just wish it into creation with the Dragon Balls, we’re going to need at least 3,000 of you super fans to help make this happen!
Yeah, they are. Essentially, they want a guarantee of at least 3000 preorders on this set before they go ahead & produce them.
https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/?utm ... override=1

I saw someone already responded to you, but I'm late to the party.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 am
Vegard Aune wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:50 ameasily available version of the show
Well, for the lucky 3k pre-order customers at least.
To be clear, none of the signatures or emails are for pre-orders, they're for expressions of interest. Nobody is guaranteed a copy yet.
Surely they'll take more orders if they get.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:19 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:01 am
Well, for the lucky 3k pre-order customers at least.
Same could be said for the Dragon Boxes Z but they left it at a limited quantity and that was it. FUNimation and DBZ 4:3 AR releases happens very rarely so I'd not expect too many prints.

The Season Blu-rays are incredibly profitable for FUNimation so this will be geared fans who are fans of the original, untouched 4:3 AR.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:46 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:19 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 am
Same could be said for the Dragon Boxes Z but they left it at a limited quantity and that was it. FUNimation and DBZ 4:3 AR releases happens very rarely so I'd not expect too many prints.

The Season Blu-rays are incredibly profitable for FUNimation so this will be geared fans who are fans of the original, untouched 4:3 AR.
The wording is "at least" 3000 copies. It would be extremely stupid not to print more. I believe they'll take pre orders for a certain time, not stop at 3000. I'm sure toei at the time wanted the dragon boxes to be limited to stop inverse importation to Japan.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:37 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:19 am Same could be said for the Dragon Boxes Z but they left it at a limited quantity and that was it.
Not entirely true. They seemd to have a Switch amount of time they were allowd to produce the Dragon Box Z sets, and they did print multiple runs of at least some of the volumes before the time ran out.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm

I feel in my gut that we’ll be getting information on April 3rd (Wednesday). 4/3 for 4:3, you know? Plus the 4-star and 3-star Dragon Balls. I have no insider information obviously and I’ve never claimed to have any, just call it a major, major hunch. They’ve probably hit their 3,000 signup goal three times over by now.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm I feel in my gut that we’ll be getting information on April 3rd (Wednesday). 4/3 for 4:3, you know? Plus the 4-star and 3-star Dragon Balls. I have no insider information obviously and I’ve never claimed to have any, just call it a major, major hunch. They’ve probably hit their 3,000 signup goal three times over by now.
They didn’t have a 3,000 signup goal. I don’t know why this so hard for people to understand (not directing this at you, just in general a lot of people seem to think that signup meant anything). That was a newsletter signup. Nobody has preordered anything yet. When preorders actually go up, that’s when they will need to meet a goal.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:17 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm I feel in my gut that we’ll be getting information on April 3rd (Wednesday). 4/3 for 4:3, you know? Plus the 4-star and 3-star Dragon Balls. I have no insider information obviously and I’ve never claimed to have any, just call it a major, major hunch. They’ve probably hit their 3,000 signup goal three times over by now.
They didn’t have a 3,000 signup goal. I don’t know why this so hard for people to understand (not directing this at you, just in general a lot of people seem to think that signup meant anything). That was a newsletter signup. Nobody has preordered anything yet. When preorders actually go up, that’s when they will need to meet a goal.
I never called it a preorder goal, it’s a signup goal. I’m well aware that it’s a newsletter, and I’m fairly certain they’re well past that goal for 3,000 signups of potentially interested people.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm

If this is being remastered by TOEI then why on God's name would they use the Level source? That's an inferior source and is missing the NEPs.

Did it look good? Yeah. Can DBZ remastered in HD look even better? Hell yeah!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm If this is being remastered by TOEI then why on God's name would they use the Level source? That's an inferior source and is missing the NEPs.

Did it look good? Yeah. Can DBZ remastered in HD look even better? Hell yeah!
Though it hasn't been absolutely confirmed at this point that is what's being used for the set, right? I would think if they are doing the heavy lifting as far as the masters go that they'd use their good quality first gen 16mm prints and not FUNi's lower quality third generation prints.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 pm Though it hasn't been absolutely confirmed at this point that is what's being used for the set, right?
Nothing has been confirmed at this point. Everything everyone is saying about what the set will be is coming from pure speculation (with the possible exception of someone talking to a FUNI rep... we'll see though... not all "inside sources" turn out to be true on the interwebs, know what I mean?).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:39 pm

April 1st is also a possibility as it's the start of the Japanese fiscal year.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:46 pm

ect5150 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 pm Though it hasn't been absolutely confirmed at this point that is what's being used for the set, right?
Nothing has been confirmed at this point. Everything everyone is saying about what the set will be is coming from pure speculation (with the possible exception of someone talking to a FUNI rep... we'll see though... not all "inside sources" turn out to be true on the interwebs, know what I mean?).
Exactly, so i'm sure that we'll be getting the full specs including the sources being used for the video soon enough. Possibly sometime during the next month with it being the 30th anniversary of the series and all.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm
They literally said it was for a guarantee of at least 3000, originally 2500, preorders of the product once they produce it. You can't tell me they're not counting how many email addresses are in their database to email out updates to people.
FUNimation wrote:In the coming weeks, we’ll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period for fans to reserve their copy of this must-have collector’s edition. And while we’d like to just wish it into creation with the Dragon Balls, we’re going to need at least 3,000 of you super fans to help make this happen!
They want a guarantee of at least 3,000 preorders. And the fact that they put this out doesn't scream that they wanted to measure that stuff early to you?
Agreed, but at the very least we have SOMETHING from the guy who talked to the FUNi rep. The information may change over the coming months & we should expect at least some of it to with more announcements. What film source is FUNi using? Are they including the Japanese broadcast audio? What's Toei's level of involvement? Will it be censored? Who's doing the remastering?
Honestly, I hope the answers are Toei's, yes, enough, no, & the team FUNi hired the first time around.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 am

What i love with this kind of topic is....almost 61 pages of pure speculations, rumour with no evidence or total fake news, not even sure they'll reach the signup goals and produce the things but this topic is only flood by pure expectations, speculations like if Funimation or Toei could read this topic and say "oh they want that!!! crap we should product the things like that" :D :D :D :D

when i read kanzenshuu topic i feel that dragon ball fandom want a new bluray release 4/3 in perfect conditions but in reality only 10-15 members are active on the topic and Funi/Toei are flood by shit people happy with the crappy season sets that only want new DB super episodes.
At this point we only have to patiently wait to see and once there is useful informations shared them
Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 am What i love with this kind of topic is....almost 61 pages of pure speculations, rumour with no evidence or total fake news, not even sure they'll reach the signup goals and product the things but this topic is only flood by pure expectations, speculations like if Funimation or Toei could read this topic and say "oh they want that!!! crap we should product the things like that" :D :D :D :D

when i read kanzenshuu topic i feel that dragon ball fandom want a new bluray release 4/3 in perfect conditions but in reality only 10-15 members are active on the topic and Funi/Toei are flood by shit people happy with the crappy season sets that only want new DB super episodes.
At this point we only have to patiently wait to see and once there is useful informations shared them
"Produce," not "Product," 2003 Pete Wentz.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 am

This.

After season 5 of the TV show Community finished airing, someone on Reddit claimed the show would be renewed for a 26-episode sixth season. The mods of the subreddit claimed evidence was presented that pointed to this guy working at the show's network, NBC, and that this was serious, legit news, but which could get this guy fired if he revealed his proof publicly.

Cut to a couple of months later, and it's announced NBC had cancelled Community. Strong rumours swirled that Hulu was picking it up, then Yahoo picked it up for 13 episodes, and gave it a huge budget.

Ultimately, in showbiz, even for just a remaster of an old TV show, you really can't predict what's happening next, and even the most certain of leaks can turn out to be bunk.
Infamously, Kirbopher came out and said Ocean Kai was going to be put in a vault and never air, ever, under any circumstances. But Marni Shulman of Wow Unlimited confirmed a few months back that negotiations are ongoing to get that airing on their still-upcoming TV channel (I believe the current launch date is rumoured as June, previously rumoured as today but squashed a couple of weeks ago, previously rumoured as December but squashed shortly before then).
Scsigs wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 am
Correcting peoples' grammar is a bit rude, man.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:44 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 am
Scsigs wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 am
Correcting peoples' grammar is a bit rude, man.
It's just the only thing you can do when you don't have any argument^^

it remind me all informations tv channel that can keep airing about a subject with litteraly 0 informations lol
you hear everything and his opposite