"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Do we have the back cover for Volume 9 yet? There's always a mirror image of the cover with the characters or situation changed and such.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 pm Do we have the back cover for Volume 9 yet? There's always a mirror image of the cover with the characters or situation changed and such.
Not the best quality scan:
https://twitter.com/suisoukiraki/status ... 1980139521

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:19 pm

In all Honesty I hate Toyotaro's artstyle and his reuse of shots from previous manga chapters & Such

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 pm

I'll be interested to see if Toyotaro brings his manga's art style more in line with Shintani now that the art shift has occurred in the anime.

Toyotaro's current art style has more in common with Yamamuro than Shintani imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Chuquita wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 pm I'll be interested to see if Toyotaro brings his manga's art style more in line with Shintani now that the art shift has occurred in the anime.

Toyotaro's current art style has more in common with Yamamuro than Shintani imo.
Highly doubtful. He would've already done it. I honestly don't think he's capable of it

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm

While I don’t really see Shintani, I don’t see Yamamuro in Toyo’s Character designs either. So no I wouldn’t want Toyo to change up his style.

Like after the film, the characters designs in the DBS anime look really unappealing to me but I don’t feel that way about the manga character designs at all.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm

I like the panel of Freeza smirking at Frost

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:22 am

Liquir wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:26 pm Do we have the back cover for Volume 9 yet? There's always a mirror image of the cover with the characters or situation changed and such.
Apparently, just like in the anime, Vegeta's SSB Shinka in the manga also has a darker hair color than the SSB and not just the aura is different

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:55 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:22 am
Apparently, just like in the anime, Vegeta's SSB Shinka in the manga also has a darker hair color than the SSB and not just the aura is different
It's not Shinka... Vegeta has the same hair color as always (in the manga). The problem is that the photo is very dark or something like that, I think.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm

BrolySSJL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:55 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:22 am
It's not Shinka... Vegeta has the same hair color as always (in the manga). The problem is that the photo is very dark or something like that, I think.
No, the poster made by Toyotaro for DBS Broly shows that the hair color of the SSB is a light blue

On the back cover of Volume 4 (which shows Zamasu and SSB Vegetto), Vegetto's hair (SSB) is also much lighter than Vegeta's hair on the back cover of Volume 9
So I believe Vegeta is actually using SSB Shinka on this back cover

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:18 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm On the back cover of Volume 4 (which shows Zamasu and SSB Vegetto), Vegetto's hair (SSB) is also much lighter than Vegeta's hair on the back cover of Volume 9
Flawed comparison. The colors in general are much darker on the image of Volume 9's back cover, likely due to the photo quality.

There's no reason that Vegeta wouldn't use "Shinka" against Broly, although again, in the manga I'd contend that it's no more of a transformation than "completed" Blue anyway.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:18 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm On the back cover of Volume 4 (which shows Zamasu and SSB Vegetto), Vegetto's hair (SSB) is also much lighter than Vegeta's hair on the back cover of Volume 9
Flawed comparison. The colors in general are much darker on the image of Volume 9's back cover, likely due to the photo quality.

There's no reason that Vegeta wouldn't use "Shinka" against Broly, although again, in the manga I'd contend that it's no more of a transformation than "completed" Blue anyway.
I do not think the reason for the darker colors is the quality of the image. In this picture, a guy takes the photo of the manga itself and Vegeta's hair is still considerably darker compared to Vegetto SSB's hair (on other manga covers or back covers, the SSB's hair is not too dark either)

And considering that Vegeta actually used the '' SSB Shinka '' against Jiren in the manga, I believe that back cover represented that. Not just the hair color, but his clothes are also darker (similar to what happens with the SSBE in the anime)

Particularly, I believe that this '' Blue Shinka '' from the manga is a variation or a more powerful version of the regular SSB (as opposed to the Completed Blue which I think is just the regular SSB, but mastered)

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 pm I do not think the reason for the darker colors is the quality of the image.
Regardless, you might notice that everything in that back cover (including the more recent photo you posted) has a dark blue tint to it, so of course the filter would naturally extend to Vegeta's hair.

I'm not even saying you're necessarily wrong -- I could totally buy the idea his hair would become darker in his upgraded Blue form, perhaps not dissimilar to how it looked in the movie -- but I don't think that image in particular proves anything.

As a side note, I'm honestly a bit miffed that they recycled artwork of Vegeta from the Broly poster. Time constraints probably had something to do with it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Nokra wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:23 pm The moro arc is the manga has been really good so far. Moro is also a cool character with nice abilites. I don't see any problems.
It feels fresh to have a villain who is not some brute and has some powerful tricks to make him strong. Not to mention, I like his backstory as well. People are so used to big and buff up villains like Broly, Super 13, Bojack, Garlic Jr, Xi Ying Long and even Jiren (Not a bad guy, but you get the point).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Regarding Moro as a villain - to be honest, anything is better than Jiren.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:15 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:01 pm Regarding Moro as a villain - to be honest, anything is better than Jiren.
Jiren, in the manga, is a good antagonist.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:16 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 pm
Chuquita wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 pm I'll be interested to see if Toyotaro brings his manga's art style more in line with Shintani now that the art shift has occurred in the anime.

Highly doubtful. He would've already done it. I honestly don't think he's capable of it
It looks like he attempted it in one of the extra pages in volume 9, speaking of skipping the Broly arc. It was like a mix between Shintani and his own.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 am

emperior wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am And this is a complain I have in general. The duo has gotten boring. Maybe it’s just me, but my interest in them has peaked with Broly’s movie (and, in the manga, when they teamed up against Jiren). Everything that I wanted to see out of the duo has already happened. They have decided to team-up and even fuse together (twice) to fight opponents much stronger than they are, and it was something built up ever since Resurrection F. And in Broly, they finally succeeded.
So you've just got saturated from Goku & Vegeta after the Broly movie? Wow, you hold up for a long time, mate.

I remember how excited I was when I watched Movie 6 for the first time... A terrible movie, but having early Super Saiyans Goku and Vegeta teaming up against a villain was incredible (we didn't had that in the manga/anime yet), then 3 years had passed and we got these again in Movie 12, a better movie this time and their chemistry was way better than before, I just love it. A time later we finally got them together against a villain in the main story and even considering fillers, their interactions were just gold.

But, I didn't imagined that would be the future of the series from now on... I could tolerate RoF (movie) as Goku and Vegeta training together was something new for me, but their attitudes were just lame. The premisse of having others characters than they to shine on the Champa arc was just crumpled and tossed out as scratch paper.
Then we got more in the Future Trunks arc and a lot more scenes in the Universe Survival arc... I was so worn out by the time I watched the Broly movie, that I think I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I could.

For God's sake do something Toriyama/Toyotaro... We get it that Goku is the main character and would be god damn boring for him to solve all the things by himself, we also get that Vegeta is popular and you can't just put him on the sidelines, but that's why you introduce new characters! The same way the author can introduce a new villain he can also introduce new allies, that in the future may compete with the main characters.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 am

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 am
emperior wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am And this is a complain I have in general. The duo has gotten boring. Maybe it’s just me, but my interest in them has peaked with Broly’s movie (and, in the manga, when they teamed up against Jiren). Everything that I wanted to see out of the duo has already happened. They have decided to team-up and even fuse together (twice) to fight opponents much stronger than they are, and it was something built up ever since Resurrection F. And in Broly, they finally succeeded.
So you've just got saturated from Goku & Vegeta after the Broly movie? Wow, you hold up for a long time, mate.

I remember how excited I was when I watched Movie 6 for the first time... A terrible movie, but having early Super Saiyans Goku and Vegeta teaming up against a villain was incredible (we didn't had that in the manga/anime yet), then 3 years had passed and we got these again in Movie 12, a better movie this time and their chemistry was way better than before, I just love it. A time later we finally got them together against a villain in the main story and even considering fillers, their interactions were just gold.

But, I didn't imagined that would be the future of the series from now on... I could tolerate RoF (movie) as Goku and Vegeta training together was something new for me, but their attitudes were just lame. The premisse of having others characters than they to shine on the Champa arc was just crumpled and tossed out as scratch paper.
Then we got more in the Future Trunks arc and a lot more scenes in the Universe Survival arc... I was so worn out by the time I watched the Broly movie, that I think I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I could.

For God's sake do something Toriyama/Toyotaro... We get it that Goku is the main character and would be god damn boring for him to solve all the things by himself, we also get that Vegeta is popular and you can't just put him on the sidelines, but that's why you introduce new characters! The same way the author can introduce a new villain he can also introduce new allies, that in the future may compete with the main characters.
Just have Pan be the new main character and Uub replace vegeta

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:01 pm

louisascommie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 amJust have Pan be the new main character and Uub replace vegeta
Actually they should be replaced by Goten and Trunks, Oob and Pan could come up too. Yes, I would dig a series about the new generation, but the problem is that Goku and Vegeta are so damn popular and profitable, that would be too risk to replace them out of nowhere or even with a proper build.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?