Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm

It doesn't look......too bad. I'm holding out on the videos being placeholders, but even if they are, that's not a good sign. Definitely not reserving it until I know more. Maybe the videos aren't final? I sure hope so.

If not, I hope that these come out via a budget release. Cha-La-Head-Cha-La looked okay at least.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm Wow, this... hurts my feelings. Somehow, it feels worse than if they were simply repackaging their 16:9 season BDs.
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:38 pm The crazy part is that due to Toei's involvement, they APPROVED THIS.
I am, again, reminded of Selecta Vision requesting high definition masters of Dragon Ball Z some time ago from Toei, who insisted that they use Funimation's existing HD masters. With that in mind, this... yeah, this makes sense. At least Selecta Vision declined. I wish Funimation had that kind of tegridy.

They will still have no problem reaching their goal, I don't know why some of you are doubting this (Dragon Ball Z is rather popular), but on the off chance that they don't, I can totally see them blaming it on 4:3. It's maddening.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pmI mean, the clips in the trailer really don't definitely say for 100% certain what type of remaster we are getting here. Is it the Level masters or Season BD's reconverted to 4:3 from the cropped 16:9??? Come on FUNi just reveal it already so we know what exactly we are getting here.
Those clips do say it, though, if that's the footage we are indeed getting. All it takes is looking at it. That HD opening has always looked far better than the actual HD episode footage, at least on the Level sets, so that's easily explained. However, those clips in the trailer that were taken from the actual episodes are clearly the uncropped BD season sets. My guess is that they'll use the nice opening wherever they can, and they'll use the BD season footage for the rest.
Wow, looks like i had my expectations of this release up too high on it being a great remaster. Since it appears to be that's what this might end up being, i am no question holding onto my Dragon Boxes for the indeterminate future at this point.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

To be fair, I don't believe that they actually straight cropped the 16:9 BDs even further to 4:3. It looks more like what they did for the Dragon Ball blue bricks, which were zoomed in about the same amount, I think. Regardless, I hate it.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm
SqueakyBoots wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 pmI'm not sure if this is a new transfer or if they just took the transfer from the previous blu-ray sets and uncropped them.
They didn't, it's a widescreen crop.
The funny part is if this was just an uncropped version of the shitty Blu-rays out now, at $350 I would be disappointed but I would buy it, because at least it's a Blu-ray release in 4:3 and I already have the Dragon Boxes. I guess?

But a crop of a crop? Fuck off with that shit.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

The Goku statue looks horrible too, I'd have preferred a full colour one.
As for the art book, I'll wait and pick up Toriyama Sensei's Chōgashū from Viz in October.

How have they messed this up? lol.
I don't even want to talk about the footage.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pmIt looks like what they did for the Dragon Ball blue bricks, which were zoomed in about the same amount, I think.
This might be worse. The Blue Bricks were zoomed in from the original 4:3 footage while this take an already 16:9 cropped footage and seemingly zooms it in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm Please don't. 3,000 of you means this behaviour won't ever change.

I am conflicted as all hell. Honestly, I'm not even confident Funimation will ever do another physical release of the show at all, meaning there wouldn't even be an opportunity for this behaviour to change. In any case, I'm not gonna preorder it. It looks like it's going to hit 3000 regardless given the pace of the reservations coming in already.

I'm going to wait and desperately hope that the footage on the set looks much nicer than the trailer. Otherwise, I might finally bite the bullet and get the Dragon Boxes off ebay.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:22 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pmIt looks like what they did for the Dragon Ball blue bricks, which were zoomed in about the same amount, I think.
This might be worse. The Blue Bricks were zoomed in from the original 4:3 footage while this take an already 16:9 cropped footage and seemingly zooms it in.
Whaaat????... i really hope that's not the case because if so then i am definitely passing on the set. Simply put it's Dragon Boxes all the way for me at this point, because i am not giving FUNi a single red cent when they apparently mess up such a hyped set up that badly.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm The funny part is if this was just an uncropped version of the shitty Blu-rays out now, at $350 I would be disappointed but I would buy it, because at least it's a Blu-ray release in 4:3 and I already have the Dragon Boxes. I guess?

But a crop of a crop? Fuck off with that shit.
Yeah, a crop of a crop is amateurish and insulting, ESPECIALLY considering the reason why it even exists in the first place.
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm To be fair, I don't believe that they actually straight cropped the 16:9 BDs even further to 4:3. It looks more like what they did for the Dragon Ball blue bricks, which were zoomed in about the same amount, I think. Regardless, I hate it.
Correct, it isn't an exact crop of the 16:9 as it's higher on the tops... but it's as good as a 4:3 crop considering you lose so much footage at the edges, and it appears to be the same footage.

For the veterans: Is this what it was like when the Orange Bricks were announced??
Last edited by KBABZ on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:24 pm

ErikB wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm
GokuDaimao wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm Please don't. 3,000 of you means this behaviour won't ever change.

I am conflicted as all hell. Honestly, I'm not even confident Funimation will ever do another physical release of the show at all, meaning there wouldn't even be an opportunity for this behaviour to change. In any case, I'm not gonna preorder it. It looks like it's going to hit 3000 regardless given the pace of the reservations coming in already.

I'm going to wait and desperately hope that the footage on the set looks much nicer than the trailer. Otherwise, I might finally bite the bullet and get the Dragon Boxes off ebay.
If you really want DBZ on Blu-ray, you get more footage on their cropped releases that you can buy right now. As sad as that is, it's the truth. This should be placed in the garbage bin where it belongs.

The only way this could be worse is if it really is all placeholder footage and the actual release is quality, but we'll find out too late and the thing is sold out. I can't see that being the case though, I think this is it.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Spoofer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:55 pm I was indeed wrong about the 4:3 and the price point, but I was right in that the only way it could be 4:3, cheap, and released so quickly, was if they simply reused their existing season remaster sans the crop. Almost surely it'll be missing NEPs, and have the dub-centric presentation of the season sets, too.

I still maintain it was unrealistic to expect Funi to completely remaster this series all over again, competently, especially 270whatever episodes frame-by-frame, within 6 months, and all up-front on the assumption they'd reach their pre-order goal. Even more unrealistic to believe Toei would've put all the work in and allowed Funi to release it first.

Can't say I'm not disappointed, but I'm not at all surprised.

Also not at all surprised that Geekdom guy had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, which was pretty obvious from the start. The other guy seemed wrong about the remaster's source as well. As many of us had said all along, wait for confirmation.

I highly doubt Funi would release a PR vid for the set with video that isn't reflective of the final product, but I mean, you could hold your breath and see what happens. Though I wouldn't recommend it. And I think you'll really have to poke and prod to get more info out of Funi at this point. Clock's ticking with a month left to pre-order, so someone with clout better start trying to get confirmation, assuming anyone still has any hope left.
Exactly! Can't wait to see how Geekdom explains himself this time. Sources my ass.

Very disappointing with the details. The packaging looks amazing, shame it won't be for anything worthwhile. I may have bought this if they also included fullscreen versions of the movies and speciala, but nope. This gets a hard pass from me.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:26 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm
They didn't do that, though. There is clearly more footage on the top and bottom of the 30th set, meaning they had to have zoomed in from the original 4:3 frame and not the already cropped 16:9 BDs. Hey, I hate it too, but saying that it's a straight crop of the 16:9 BDs is a bit of an exaggeration. Again, it looks like the same treatment the blue bricks got.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:28 pm

The packaging looks awesome but oh dear Kami, what the fuck did they do to the video footage, it looks like FUNimation's shitty ass Season Blu-rays in 4:3 AR. :thumbdown:

Welp, stick to your Dragon Boxes Z, fellas. :(

I had such high hopes and this is what they reveal, I kind of feel betrayed.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm For the veterans: Is this what it was like when the Orange Bricks were announced??
As a veteran who has survived since the very ancient year of 2007...

Yeah, basically.

(Hey, don't buy this product.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pmExactly! Can't wait to see how Geekdom explains himself this time. Sources my ass.
He may be right on Toei doing their own remaster but it will just be for the Japanese fans (unless they said this is what Japan will get).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:26 pm They didn't do that, though. There is clearly more footage on the top and bottom of the 30th set, meaning they had to have zoomed in from the original 4:3 frame and not the already cropped 16:9 BDs. Hey, I hate it too, but saying that it's a straight crop of the 16:9 BDs is a bit of an exaggeration. Again, it looks like the same treatment the blue bricks got.
Personally I suspect that the Blu Brick masters were this high when originally mastered, and this footage uses that as the basis for the 4:3.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:28 pmI had such high hopes and this is what they reveal, I kind of feel betrayed.
Welcome to Orange Bricks: The Revenge.
VegettoEX wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm For the veterans: Is this what it was like when the Orange Bricks were announced??
As a veteran who has survived since the very ancient year of 2007...

Yeah, basically.

(Hey, don't buy this product.)
Oh don't worry I won't!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm To be fair, I don't believe that they actually straight cropped the 16:9 BDs even further to 4:3. It looks more like what they did for the Dragon Ball blue bricks, which were zoomed in about the same amount, I think. Regardless, I hate it.
Correct, it isn't an exact crop of the 16:9 as it's higher on the tops... but it's as good as a 4:3 crop considering you lose so much footage at the edges, and it appears to be the same footage.

For the veterans: Is this what it was like when the Orange Bricks were announced??
Well, we haven't gotten to the point yet where people share images of foaming-at-the-mouth Nappa, but the rage feels the same yes.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm

should i sell the old blu-rays?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:26 pmSaying that it's a straight crop of the 16:9 BDs is a bit of an exaggeration. Again, it looks like the same treatment the blue bricks got.

It's zoomed in but it doesn't look like it's missing as much footage as this new release is.
Godgoku95 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm should i sell the old blu-rays?
You shouldn't unless you plan on buying Kai instead.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Godgoku95 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:32 pm should i sell the old blu-rays?
NO, absolutely not. You'd be spending $350 on a legit inferior version of the show.