Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:13 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:10 pm
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Don't get me wrong I don't mind to pay this but they said it won't charge until may. My idea was like cool I can secure my copy and save up extra to drop on it but okay..

It's a FUNimation release so it will have US Broadcast audio and it's 4:3 so sure take my money but damn.
Did you use a debit card? According to that page the funds will be withheld if that's what you do. If you used a credit card and got charged then yeah that's not right.
There wasn't a debit card option only credit and my card is debit lmao.
If your card is debit then that's why it was seemingly charged. Screen cap from the page when you click on the "How it Works" button:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:14 pm

I kind of just see this as being really underwhelming. It's just a reissue of the same sets from a few years ago. Though the alternative would probably be getting pre-censored footage from Toei.

I'm assuming by "entire series" they mean the 291 episode series, with no Specials or Movies included. The US score will most likely still be included in this set.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 pm It's basically the Blu-ray remaster in 4:3. The image with the crowd looks worse though but maybe it's just the size of the picture giving that impression.
I disagree, if you compare the Raditz footage there's a LOT of his arms that gets removed (neither of his hands are visible, for example).

Last edited by KBABZ on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm

I don't get it. Who is the target audience of this? Casual fans?

The only real DBZ 4x3 AR releases by FUNimation were the Dragon Box Z (001-291) and Level Set (001-039).

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm

I just realized, did anybody get an email from FUNi on this? Because I didn’t, I thought that was the point of the original email signup. My god, I gave them my email to be marketed to and the thing I expressed interest in is garbage. Awesome.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Are we sure that is actual footage from this release? I don’t know if I buy it is. I mean looking at the actual set purely excluding the actual video footage it looks like the dragon boxes with character images on each disc, the art book, the packaging, clearly something Toei animation designed. I really think this was just a trailer put together as a place holder. I think more information regarding the actual masters and showing the film footage will come soon. But that’s just my opinion.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:32 pm

What a fucking joke.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm Are we sure that is actual footage from this release? I don’t know if I buy it is. I mean looking at the actual set purely excluding the actual video footage it looks like the dragon boxes with character images on each disc, the art book, the packaging, clearly something Toei animation designed. I really think this was just a trailer put together as a place holder. I think more information regarding the actual masters and showing the film footage will come soon. But that’s just my opinion.
I really, REALLY hope you're right.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm I don't get it. Who is the target audience of this? Casual fans?
Who knows? It does feel like FUNimation is just pulling a super huge troll at the moment.
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm I just realized, did anybody get an email from FUNi on this? Because I didn’t, I thought that was the point of the original email signup. My god, I gave them my email to be marketed to and the thing I expressed interest in is garbage. Awesome.
No, I did not receive an email notification. I checked my Spam and Promotion folders too, just to be sure.
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:31 pm Are we sure that is actual footage from this release? I don’t know if I buy it is. I mean looking at the actual set purely excluding the actual video footage it looks like the dragon boxes with character images on each disc, the art book, the packaging, clearly something Toei animation designed. I really think this was just a trailer put together as a place holder. I think more information regarding the actual masters and showing the film footage will come soon. But that’s just my opinion.
I know what you mean but what else do we have to go on? The footage they showed gives us absolutely nothing, other than "It's the Season Blu-rays but not zoomed kinda sorta". And on Twitter they're just ignoring anyone that asks anything about the picture quality.

If it is some good remaster, they're doing absolutely nothing to indicate it.
Last edited by Forte224 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 pm
I hope not, because I could see them saying ‘Oh guys by the way that was placeholder footage, the real footage actually looks better!’ But by then, the set is sold out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:40 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:07 pmThe cropping for this 30th set is worse, though still not a straight crop of the existing 16:9 frame.
You're right. The picture I saw wasn't exactly even with the original 4:3 which made it seem like it was missing more. The new pictures above show that it's just the blu-rays in 4:3. I guess that's OK for fans who liked the remastering but just wanted it in 4:3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:41 pm

I have a hard time believing they could be this stupid. Their recent track record for the Dragon Ball property makes me think their is no way they could be this stupid. Plus look at it this way it doesn’t even say anything about the tracks on the set audio wise. I think we all just need to cool it no way would that not be shown. I think they had to throw some shot together for the marketing and went what do we do Toei still has the master. But again that is my opinion

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 pm It's basically the Blu-ray remaster in 4:3. The image with the crowd looks worse though but maybe it's just the size of the picture giving that impression.
I disagree, if you compare the Raditz footage there's a LOT of his arms that gets removed (neither of his hands are visible, for example).

Who posted the images of Raditz said it wasn't the exact same shot. If you look at the shot with Goku trying to save Gohan it's just a bit zoomed in. I guess there's a chance that some scene are worse than others.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:45 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:41 pm I have a hard time believing they could be this stupid. Their recent track record for the Dragon Ball property makes me think their is no way they could be this stupid. Plus look at it this way it doesn’t even say anything about the tracks on the set audio wise. I think we all just need to cool it no way would that not be shown. I think they had to throw some shot together for the marketing and went what do we do Toei still has the master. But again that is my opinion
Yeah but they want the pre-orders now! I get it if this was some preliminary announcement and the pre-orders didn't go live until a couple weeks from now and we were given further details. But this is all they've shown us and they want us to sign up right now.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 pm
I hope not, because I could see them saying ‘Oh guys by the way that was placeholder footage, the real footage actually looks better!’ But by then, the set is sold out.
This set is not going to sell out I don’t think this is a limited time period. I just think it only has a month to get to 3000. If it gets there it will probably be available to buy for a lot longer.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm
Who posted the images of Raditz said it wasn't the exact same shot. If you look at the shot with Goku trying to save Gohan it's just a bit zoomed in. I guess there's a chance that some scene are worse than others.
That was me. It wasn't the exact same frame, as can be seen by his hair at the top right, but the framing remained largely the same and his hands were always just as visible the whole time.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:49 pm

If this had been released on April 1st then maybe but this looks as official as FUNimation gets. I'm not surprised FUNi has fucked its fans over again.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:49 pm

If this were the case, then there should be some little disclaimer somewhere stating "Video footage not final" or something like that. And given the low cost of the set, I really don't think a new remaster is happening.

DuckBoy

Post by DuckBoy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

For the record, if this is a entirely new release with new remastering, I think it should be on Funimation’s part to communicate that to us, and not for us to go “well maybe it is, and maybe it isn’t!”.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Oh trust me I know there marketing is terrible just look at how they handle the Dragon Box but until they confirm it’s the actual footage I’m assuming it’s not. As it is really bad looking. Plus it looks like the level sets at first than switches to some god awful crop of the season sets. That’s why I am not too worried. If it was just the god awful season set footage id be concerned.