Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pmThat was me. It wasn't the exact same frame, as can be seen by his hair at the top right, but the framing remained largely the same and his hands were always just as visible the whole time.
The Goku shot looked like it had more footage. is that the case or am I seeing things ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:53 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm This set is not going to sell out I don’t think this is a limited time period. I just think it only has a month to get to 3000. If it gets there it will probably be available to buy for a lot longer.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO RESERVE A SET?
To reserve a set, you must provide a credit/debit card number by Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST and successfully place an order.

Additionally, we are limited to a total creation of 6,000 sets due to manufacturing limits. Once we hit that max, we will be unable to produce more.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Spoofer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:53 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm This set is not going to sell out I don’t think this is a limited time period. I just think it only has a month to get to 3000. If it gets there it will probably be available to buy for a lot longer.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO RESERVE A SET?
To reserve a set, you must provide a credit/debit card number by Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST and successfully place an order.

Additionally, we are limited to a total creation of 6,000 sets due to manufacturing limits. Once we hit that max, we will be unable to produce more.
I'm pretty sure they will sell them seperately in season sets as the discs are already divided up.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 pm
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pmThat was me. It wasn't the exact same frame, as can be seen by his hair at the top right, but the framing remained largely the same and his hands were always just as visible the whole time.
The Goku shot looked like it had more footage. is that the case or am I seeing things ?
More footage compared to the Raditz shot you mean? Because the top, bottom, left, and right are clearly cropped in the 30th anniversary shot, compared to the Dragon Box anyway. Though I guess it's not AS bad as the Raditz shot.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm I hope not, because I could see them saying ‘Oh guys by the way that was placeholder footage, the real footage actually looks better!’ But by then, the set is sold out.
Personally I think it'd be better if at least the footage was fine rather than it being garbage both in marketing and on the discs. But I understand where you're coming from, and it'd sure be easier to dismiss this set and be okay with not being able to buy it if it was consistent garbage.
DuckBoy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm For the record, if this is a entirely new release with new remastering, I think it should be on Funimation’s part to communicate that to us, and not for us to go “well maybe it is, and maybe it isn’t!”.
I think at the very least the colour treatment is different considering the grades are slightly different.
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:51 pm Oh trust me I know there marketing is terrible just look at how they handle the Dragon Box but until they confirm it’s the actual footage I’m assuming it’s not. As it is really bad looking. Plus it looks like the level sets at first than switches to some god awful crop of the season sets. That’s why I am not too worried. If it was just the god awful season set footage id be concerned.
Personally I'm going the opposite way. If they confirm to disappointed fans that the footage in the trailer is final, they have a confirmed lost sale, so better to not say anything.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:58 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Spoofer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:53 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm
I'm pretty sure they will sell them seperately in season sets as the discs are already divided up.
Oh my bad well if it sells out that I’d crazy even if it is a much better master as 6k is a ton 😂😂😂

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Some people in the comments of the announcement video are assuming this is the 16:9 masters cropped back to 4:3. I don't think anyone understands. This is the 2014 masters just, mostly, uncropped. FUNi did the DVNR, the color correction first, then the cropping last. That's how that goes normally.
In any case, this is probably an even bigger insult than the Orange Bricks or the BR season sets ever were. The orange Bricks & season set BRs, I can understand why they were as they were. FUNi wanted to make a cheap buck off the stupid people who don't understand proper remastering & think that anything they get is good, but when it comes to LIMITED EDITION SETS, we can't catch a fucking break whatsoever. I mean, what the fuck are they smoking over there & where can I get some that they think THIS bullshit is in any way acceptable or even finished? Like, really? Pushed in a bit? That's the best we can get when the series was ALWAYS meant to be at the full frame? Fucking hell. And at $350? It's not even worth $50. I wanted competence, not a fucking insult to the community at large!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm Personally I'm going the opposite way. If they confirm to disappointed fans that the footage in the trailer is final, they have a confirmed lost sale, so better to not say anything.
I can see that, but if someone from FUNimation came out right now and said that the footage wasn’t final, stay tuned, I would place a reservation order. As it stands right now, this seems to be it, so no chance.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pmMore footage compared to the Raditz shot you mean? I guess it's not AS bad as the Raditz shot.
I wonder why it's inconsistant. They did do some "select cropping" on the Blu-Ray seaosns so maybe that's why.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm

479/3000 now. It's growing 100+ an hour. At this rate, it might meet it's goal around this time tomorrow, especially if more people notice this in the evening.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:06 pm

For international fans, there may be hope (provided Funimation hit the 3K) that the sets will go to retail.
Funimation mention twice - if you preorder through them, then your set will be numbered.
This leads me to believe that their orders are locked at 3K, so if they hit it, then they will give retail the other 3K, so if Amazon and rightstuf get allocations, they ship overseas, so international fans look like getting an opportunity if they hit 3K.

Terminology:
Funimation reservations include an individually stamped and numbered Certificate of Authenticity
To thank everyone for their support, those who reserve a set during the reservation period through Funimation will receive a special certificate of authenticity that is individually stamped and numbered!
To me, I think this suggests the other 3K will be going to retail should they hit the minimum.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:10 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm 479/3000 now. It's growing 100+ an hour. At this rate, it might meet it's goal around this time tomorrow, especially if more people notice this in the evening.
This is without a doubt going to reach 3,000 orders. Sorry to anyone counting on it not.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I watched the trailer a few more times and there is definitely mixing of footage. I think Funimation will give more info on if this is the footage soon. Is it possible that they are using the money to fund the new remaster so they don’t have any actual footage? Or that it is again being done by Toei. Whatever be the case Funimation needs to give more information quickly!!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:14 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:11 pm I watched the trailer a few more times and there is definitely mixing of footage. I think Funimation will give more info on if this is the footage soon. Is it possible that they are using the money to fund the new remaster so they don’t have any actual footage? Or that it is again being done by Toei. Whatever be the case Funimation needs to give more information quickly!!
That’s the thing. Part of it looks like the Levels (I think), part of it looks like garbage. I don’t get what’s so hard about giving out more information.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Here's a comparison between Dragon Box, Ultimate Uncut, Level, 30th anniversary, and Season BD: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/12E1NNNU

This is the least frame I've ever seen in a Dragon Ball master. It's atrocious. The detail level is lower than the standard-def masters (arguably even lower than the Season BD; look at the guy in the hat and suit, he doesn't have eyes in the 30th. He has eyes in every other master, even the Season BD; it's mostly blurred out there, but it is just about there), it's practically double-cropped, making it the least frame in any Dragon Ball master...

Seriously, I think this is a new low. This is the worst Z master. Funi did it. They actually bloody did it; they found a way to make a master even worse than last time.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce this set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:19 pm

I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pm Here's a comparison between Dragon Box, Ultimate Uncut, Level, 30th anniversary, and Season BD: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/12E1NNNU
I'm guessing that specific shot wasn't in Kai?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pm Here's a comparison between Dragon Box, Ultimate Uncut, Level, 30th anniversary, and Season BD: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/12E1NNNU

This is the least frame I've ever seen in a Dragon Ball master. It's atrocious. The detail level is lower than the standard-def masters (arguably even lower than the Season BD; look at the guy in the hat and suit, he doesn't have eyes in the 30th. He has eyes in every other master, even the Season BD; it's mostly blurred out there, but it is just about there), it's practically double-cropped, making it the least frame in any Dragon Ball master...

Seriously, I think this is a new low. This is the worst Z master. Funi did it. They actually bloody did it; they found a way to make a master even worse than last time.
Well, there goes all my hopes for this set right down the toilet. I'm definitely not going to be wasting my money if this is what they are putting out, so as things stand now i will be holding tight to my Dragon Boxes flaws and all. What a massive letdown this has turned out to be. Now with that said, it may in fact not be the final footage after all but those shots are not exactly instilling me with a lot of confidence.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Jesus, if you look at the new trailer's shot, it looks like it's directly from the remaster they did in 2013/14, just uncropped & zoomed in a bit. But if you look at the shots from the first opening sequence they included, it looks directly ripped from the level sets. I've seen the cropped version of that opening & that's not it. Is it possible they used some footage from the level sets & some from the 2014 BRs because they didn't have most of the later episodes done yet & just threw together a shitty trailer with what they had? I'm sorry, but in what universe does anyone think that's acceptable to do?