Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:01 pm

591/3000. Almost 1/5 of the way there. Over $206,000 amassed!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:43 pm Generations from now, people are going to know DBZ as the show that looks like garbage and has a prequel calld Dragon Ball.
The DB prequel issue is Toei's fault as they had no business splitting the story into 2 parts.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:57 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm Look on the bright side, there'll be a 4x3 AR version of Dragon Ball Z available regardless of how mediocre it is.

What you see is what you get, if not happy, try to buy the Dragon Boxes Z. :)
That attitude is how we got into this mess in the first place. Make a stink, and maybe it won't hit the 3000 reserve. Discourage everyone from buying it. Make sure it doesn't hit 3000, and that Funi know why. That's the way forward. Worst case scenario, we fail, and yeah, we still have the DBoxes etc. We lose nothing by trying, and we have so much we could gain if we succeed.
You got a point but after seeing this I lost all hope that it'd feature the NEPs and Japanese credits. FUNimation just FUNimation'd us all over again, like with the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm Geekdom put out an analysis video of the trailer & the announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOIjbBHuYM
TL;DR: He doesn't say anything we don't already know. Guess he can't risk getting anymore false information from his "sources".
I don't know why you're shitting on him. He was right about the 4:3. He just heard that they were apparently using Toei's film source. His sources are people he knows that work at FUNi. Considering he personally knows some of the actors & has hosted some of the more recent cons, I don't doubt he has some friends who work there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm

No, he said this new set would use the same film prints as the Levels sets (and the HD bricks). Which is what this set is. No false claims that I can see.
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm The DB prequel issue is Toei's fault as they had no business splitting the story into 2 parts.
But it's also from companies releasing DBZ before DB. on DVD, BD, and even the Full Color comics. No one thinks Naruto is a prequel to Naruto Shippuden...
Last edited by linkdude20002001 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:57 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm Look on the bright side, there'll be a 4x3 AR version of Dragon Ball Z available regardless of how mediocre it is.

What you see is what you get, if not happy, try to buy the Dragon Boxes Z. :)
That attitude is how we got into this mess in the first place. Make a stink, and maybe it won't hit the 3000 reserve. Discourage everyone from buying it. Make sure it doesn't hit 3000, and that Funi know why. That's the way forward. Worst case scenario, we fail, and yeah, we still have the DBoxes etc. We lose nothing by trying, and we have so much we could gain if we succeed.
Indeed, because if this turns out to be those same piece of shit masters as the Season BD's just changed back to 4:3 then i am definitely not buying. Because even with them apparently fixing the issue of it being cropped to fake widescreen that still doesn't change the fact that they're DNR'd to hell and oversaturated to the extreme, so even fixing the aspect ratio doesn't make it a huge improvement to me.

Still, at least i have my Dragon Boxes so it's not a huge loss.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm Geekdom put out an analysis video of the trailer & the announcement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOIjbBHuYM
TL;DR: He doesn't say anything we don't already know. Guess he can't risk getting anymore false information from his "sources".
I don't know why you're shitting on him. He was right about the 4:3. He just heard that they were apparently using Toei's film source. His sources are people he knows that work at FUNi. Considering he personally knows some of the actors & has hosted some of the more recent cons, I don't doubt he has some friends who work there.
Was he really "right" about the 4:3. Considering they had already done 16:9 Blu-rays prior, it would have been a rather easy guess to say they would be 4:3 this time around. But what he was wrong about was the sources. Because in the end, if the trailer footage is what we get in the final product, he will probably just sum it up to a change in direction and no one will be the wiser that he may have fabricated the source to begin with. I'm just skeptical he has as much inside looks to DB content as he'd like us to believe. It's the only thing keeping his channel afloat afterall.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm

FUNimation had the opportunity to give us a HD Dragon Box Z with all the extras and everything, and we got nothing of the sort. :thumbdown:

I mean, at least the packaging looks fantastic. I guess that's what TOEI handled.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:19 pm

This is a huge disappointment for me. Is it so much to ask for a decent release for the most popular anime on the planet? Wish I grabbed the dragon boxes back when it wouldn't cost me 4 grand to own all of them. :x
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:20 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm FUNimation had the opportunity to give us a HD Dragon Box Z with all the extras and everything, and we got nothing of the sort. :thumbdown:

I mean, at least the packaging looks fantastic. I guess that's what TOEI handled.
I definitely was hoping for too much with this, because given the amount of times FUNi has dropped the ball it made it hard for me to be overly optimistic about what this set was going to be especially video wise. I had even considering selling my Dragon Boxes for a time if this were going to be an HD equivalent of those but certainly not with all this news. Now i am holding tight to them. :(
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 pm

DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:19 pm This is a huge disappointment for me. Is it so much to ask for a decent release for the most popular anime on the planet? Wish I grabbed the dragon boxes back when it wouldn't cost me 4 grand to own all of them. :x
Because of this stupidity the Dragon Boxes Z (US Ver.) might even have its price hiked up. Shame on FUNimation.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:24 pm

I actually was going to order this but I have spent the past hour or so clicking and just trying to get it to add to my stupid cart and it wont work. I've got bad depression and anxiety and I am not playing this game with them anymore. it's 2019...time for stuff to work when you click stuff. I'll stick with what I got and call it a day. tired of buying Z anyways.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:31 pm

I’m going to post this just because it’s someth I noticed they are still taking emails for updates. This might mean nothing but it could mean something.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:38 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm
Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm I don't know why you're shitting on him. He was right about the 4:3. He just heard that they were apparently using Toei's film source. His sources are people he knows that work at FUNi. Considering he personally knows some of the actors & has hosted some of the more recent cons, I don't doubt he has some friends who work there.
Was he really "right" about the 4:3. Considering they had already done 16:9 Blu-rays prior, it would have been a rather easy guess to say they would be 4:3 this time around. But what he was wrong about was the sources. Because in the end, if the trailer footage is what we get in the final product, he will probably just sum it up to a change in direction and no one will be the wiser that he may have fabricated the source to begin with. I'm just skeptical he has as much inside looks to DB content as he'd like us to believe. It's the only thing keeping his channel afloat afterall.
I mean, he has reviews, he has lore videos, history videos on the franchise, he has interviews with the VAs, & other kinds of content than just speculations on the technical aspects of a BR release of this series. And, even then, people subscribe to someone for the personality as well as the content. Honestly, I think he's created a lot of good videos on DB. Yes, some of it's repackaging of already known info, but he's shined a light on certain subjects that were important to have done that for. On top of that, he has more than 1 channel & has a decent following, so it's not really fair to say it's all he has.
Also, info can change all the time with no warning or alert to people who already know these things. Why is it so hard to believe he has a few friends inside FUNi anyways? I mean, Bruno from MMPRToys has contacts & friends at Bandai & Shout! Factory & has shown so in some of his videos & he makes videos on Power Rangers & Super Sentai. He doesn't work at the company & admits when he doesn't know anything. He's completely transparent with the majority of relevant things he's said as far as I've seen, so I don't get what looks like some undue hate you're giving him.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Has anyone else had an "error processing transaction"? Yeah i'm not exactly happy about what i've seen either but my collection is pretty ridiculous. I literally own like 95+% of every vhs, dvd single, season sets, blu rays, special editions, literally like everything ever made pretty much so I practically feel obligated to continue to keep my collection at 100 or as close to it as possible, even if it means owning some trash.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm

ShaneisMC wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone else had an "error processing transaction"? Yeah i'm not exactly happy about what i've seen either but my collection is pretty ridiculous. I literally own like 95+% of every vhs, dvd single, season sets, blu rays, special editions, literally like everything ever made pretty much so I practically feel obligated to continue to keep my collection at 100 or as close to it as possible, even if it means owning some trash.
I got tired of dealing with it.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:38 pm I mean, he has reviews, he has lore videos, history videos on the franchise, he has interviews with the VAs, & other kinds of content than just speculations on the technical aspects of a BR release of this series. And, even then, people subscribe to someone for the personality as well as the content. Honestly, I think he's created a lot of good videos on DB. Yes, some of it's repackaging of already known info, but he's shined a light on certain subjects that were important to have done that for. On top of that, he has more than 1 channel & has a decent following, so it's not really fair to say it's all he has.
Also, info can change all the time with no warning or alert to people who already know these things. Why is it so hard to believe he has a few friends inside FUNi anyways? I mean, Bruno from MMPRToys has contacts & friends at Bandai & Shout! Factory & has shown so in some of his videos & he makes videos on Power Rangers & Super Sentai. He doesn't work at the company & admits when he doesn't know anything. He's completely transparent with the majority of relevant things he's said as far as I've seen, so I don't get what looks like some undue hate you're giving him.
There's a reason people dislike Geekdom101, he has said and done a lot of vile stuff and he's not even a big YouTuber but acts like one. Research him if you want, it's out there.

I agree there are times he makes good DB videos, I watched his GT and Kai ones and they were great but can't be fussed to watch every single one as I have no interest.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:54 pm

ShaneisMC wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm Has anyone else had an "error processing transaction"? Yeah i'm not exactly happy about what i've seen either but my collection is pretty ridiculous. I literally own like 95+% of every vhs, dvd single, season sets, blu rays, special editions, literally like everything ever made pretty much so I practically feel obligated to continue to keep my collection at 100 or as close to it as possible, even if it means owning some trash.
Consider yourself lucky.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:02 pm

712/3000. Still going strong with no signs of slowing down.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:03 pm

VDenter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Consider yourself lucky.
Funny enough (actually its really not. At all.) I have yet to get the website to actually go through with the transaction a single time, but I just checked my bank account and it currently has THREE $1 charges going out to Funimation as of today..... I dont have a spare $1100 to buy this garbage 3 times over naturally. I've already sent two emails. Clowns better be getting back to me pretty quick.