Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reservation count was updated a minute ago. 1101/3000!
Just goes to show that people will take whatever is put out no matter how crappy looking, and i will most certainly not be among that number because those screenshots have not given me much confidence.
At this rate it will only take hours till it slowly reaches 3k. This release is unacceptable and yet, it's the one to celebrate Dragon Ball Z's 30th Anniversary.

You know, there's the possibility TOEI is making their own remaster while this is FUNimation's take on it. If so, I'd assume the Japanese DBZ 30th Blu-rays to have what the Dragon Box Z DVD boxset had and more.
At least some of those preorders are cautious ones. After some careful thought I put one in until more information is released. That trailer clearly had footage from two different sources. I watched it a few times just to make sure I wasn’t seeing things, but it does. I’m angry but holding on to a very small sliver of hope. I have until the end of May to cancel (which is the few bits they’ve been willing to say on Twitter).

Of course they could always lock the orders in and then release more info and it turns out to be really that bad, so I’m taking a gamble.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:06 pm For international fans, there may be hope (provided Funimation hit the 3K) that the sets will go to retail.
Funimation mention twice - if you preorder through them, then your set will be numbered.
This leads me to believe that their orders are locked at 3K, so if they hit it, then they will give retail the other 3K, so if Amazon and rightstuf get allocations, they ship overseas, so international fans look like getting an opportunity if they hit 3K.

Terminology:
Funimation reservations include an individually stamped and numbered Certificate of Authenticity
To thank everyone for their support, those who reserve a set during the reservation period through Funimation will receive a special certificate of authenticity that is individually stamped and numbered!
To me, I think this suggests the other 3K will be going to retail should they hit the minimum.
If the remastered footage in this trailer isn't final & they put extra copies on a place like Amazon, I might pick this up just out of bile fascination, especially if the price is dropped by a decent amount. At least then, I can save money towards it rather than be charged up front for money I don't have yet. It's not nearly as bad as the crop job on the earlier Blu-Rays, but the colors & lines HAVE to be unblurred & vibrant rather than overly brightened. I'm also focusing on buying the first 4 Dragon Boxes on eBay if I can for a decent price, though I might buy a full set & sell the 3 I have on eBay. For some reason, the second is the hardest to find alone, but I'll try.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 pm Reservation count was updated a minute ago. 1101/3000!
Just goes to show that people will take whatever is put out no matter how crappy looking, and i will most certainly not be among that number because those screenshots have not given me much confidence.
At this rate it will only take hours till it slowly reaches 3k. This release is unacceptable and yet, it's the one to celebrate Dragon Ball Z's 30th Anniversary.

You know, there's the possibility TOEI is making their own remaster while this is FUNimation's take on it. If so, I'd assume the Japanese DBZ 30th Blu-rays to have what the Dragon Box Z DVD boxset had and more.
I'm sure as hell not buying this if the trailer footage is indicting of the release, and it's a damn shame too because for a brief second i really thought they were going to get a clue and do it properly. Apparently i was expecting too much so i am definitely not going to be selling my Dragon Boxes like i'd briefly thought of doing.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:25 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm sure as hell not buying this if the trailer footage is indicting of the release, and it's a damn shame too because for a brief second i really thought they were going to get a clue and do it properly. Apparently i was expecting too much so i am definitely not going to be selling my Dragon Boxes like i'd briefly thought of doing.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think FUNi would put out a trailer with footage that’s not going to be used on said release. But yes, this is a real shame. They had a chance to do it right. And as it looks, they totally screwed the pooch.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:29 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:25 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think FUNi would put out a trailer with footage that’s not going to be used on said release. But yes, this is a real shame. They had a chance to do it right. And as it looks, they totally screwed the pooch.
I know i'm disappointed to a degree, but at least i have the Dragon Boxes so it's not really a huge blow to me personally. Still, sucks for those who wanted a proper HD remaster of the series after how crappy their last one was.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:11 pm I watched the trailer a few more times and there is definitely mixing of footage. I think Funimation will give more info on if this is the footage soon. Is it possible that they are using the money to fund the new remaster so they don’t have any actual footage? Or that it is again being done by Toei. Whatever be the case Funimation needs to give more information quickly!!
On the reservations alone, they'll make over $1,050,000 for that alone. That seems like enough to finish the series with a few different film studios that specialize in this stuff. We know they have at least the first 34 episodes done, though that could've been the first 67 as well, since they announced the next 2 sets, which would have up until those episodes, with box arts completed. Doing the math, that's 224 left. Then we have them having remastered footage until at least up until Future Trunks debuts from episode 119, so we know that the studio they contracted had roughly somewhere near there done. With around 100 episodes already scanned in & finished remastering, that leaves close to 191 episodes left. Could those be done in 2 months with 2-3 studios handling the remastering? I think. If it's 2, that's 95/96 episodes per studio. If it's 3, that's 63/64 episodes per studio. Seems like those could be done in 6 months. Maybe they've already started too. Most of that footage seemed culled together from what they had at hand. They specifically had to use 4:3 footage, so they found it on one of their hard drives & threw it together, which could explain the delay in the announcement of the reservation period. Though they might've released it today to coincide with Toriyama's birthday. I seriously hope this isn't too optimistic here, I'm more trying to be realistic because this can't be what they really intended to do with this announcement.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:34 pm

That’s what I’m saying, after I got over my initial rage and watched the trailer a few times, there definitely is different source footage being used. It’s really obvious when you compare some of it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:11 pm I watched the trailer a few more times and there is definitely mixing of footage. I think Funimation will give more info on if this is the footage soon. Is it possible that they are using the money to fund the new remaster so they don’t have any actual footage? Or that it is again being done by Toei. Whatever be the case Funimation needs to give more information quickly!!
On the reservations alone, they'll make over $1,050,000 for that alone. That seems like enough to finish the series with a few different film studios that specialize in this stuff. We know they have at least the first 34 episodes done, though that could've been the first 67 as well, since they announced the next 2 sets, which would have up until those episodes, with box arts completed. Doing the math, that's 224 left. Then we have them having remastered footage until at least up until Future Trunks debuts from episode 119, so we know that the studio they contracted had roughly somewhere near there done. With around 100 episodes already scanned in & finished remastering, that leaves close to 191 episodes left. Could those be done in 2 months with 2-3 studios handling the remastering? I think. If it's 2, that's 95/96 episodes per studio. If it's 3, that's 63/64 episodes per studio. Seems like those could be done in 6 months. Maybe they've already started too. Most of that footage seemed culled together from what they had at hand. They specifically had to use 4:3 footage, so they found it on one of their hard drives & threw it together, which could explain the delay in the announcement of the reservation period. Though they might've released it today to coincide with Toriyama's birthday. I seriously hope this isn't too optimistic here, I'm more trying to be realistic because this can't be what they really intended to do with this announcement.
Wait, so that's not actually the final footage? If so then i'm not yet ready to completely dismiss the release entirely until concrete information on the source has been revealed.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Wait, so that's not actually the final footage? If so then i'm not yet ready to completely dismiss the release entirely until concrete information on the source has been revealed.
Nobody in their right mind would showcase their final product and then that not be their product. “Oh hey, let’s just throw in whatever is on our HDD as a representation of our 30th anniversary release. Yeah!”
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm

isamu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm
Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Godgoku95 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm should i pre-order or not?
Honestly, if you're really serious about getting it I would wait until it reaches it's funding goal. Maybe after that they might actually put out a decent trailer, as some are speculating that the footage shown isn't what the actual footage will be since they need the reservations to prove to Toei to give them the better masters. Of course who knows if that's true or not. Personally, I'd tell you to save your money or put that money into obtaining the Dragon Boxes.
How much can the Dragon Box sets be had for these days? I would be $600 for them
Depends on how long and patience you want to be. If you want it all right now then yeah you'll probably looking around $600-$800 for the whole set. If you're now in a hurry then you can wait for good deals to present themselves. I bought box 7 for $4 at a video game convention then a few months later was able to get box 5 for about $40 off eBay. It certainly takes a lot longer, but you can find them for good prices if you wait and look long enough.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm
Nobody in their right mind would showcase their final product and then that not be their product. “Oh hey, let’s just throw in whatever is on our HDD as a representation of our 30th anniversary release. Yeah!”
Yeah, because thinking about it now i'd figured they wouldn't seriously just slap their oversaturated DNR smear fest Season BD masters just reconverted to the original 4:3 onto the set. Certainly not for a release as hyped at this and something they are using crowd funding for.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Yeah, because thinking about it now i'd figured they wouldn't seriously just slap their oversaturated DNR smear fest Season BD masters just reconverted to the original 4:3. Certainly not for a release as hyped at this and something they are using crowd funding for.
Take a moment and think about every re-release of the show that has come from the lying teeth of FUNi. Besides the Level sets attempt, what did you honestly expect?
My YouTube

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm
Yeah, because thinking about it now i'd figured they wouldn't seriously just slap their oversaturated DNR smear fest Season BD masters just reconverted to the original 4:3. Certainly not for a release as hyped at this and something they are using crowd funding for.
Take a moment and think about every re-release of the show that has come from the lying teeth of FUNi. Besides the Level sets attempt, what did you honestly expect?
Ok, now this is just making my head spin because we just have that one trailer which i don't think is exactly what the release will be. Unless i am missing something because i am having too high of expectations about it. :crazy:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm No, he said this new set would use the same film prints as the Levels sets (and the HD bricks). Which is what this set is. No false claims that I can see.
That was AnimeMaauko I believe, not Geekdom.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm Packaging itself is literally a black box! Like jesus. This release has to be a legitimate joke! Only explanation.
I like the packaging in that it feels upmarket and chic, formal. It's literally the only part about the boxset that actually lives up to the occasion for which it was created.

Funnily enough though I was thinking instead of the "30th Anniversary Blu-Rays" we should start calling these Black Bricks. Because the only thing worse than an Orange Brick is a BURNT Orange Brick!
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm Ok, now this is just making my head spin because we just have that one trailer which i don't think is exactly what the release will be. Unless i am missing something because i am having too high of expectations about it. :crazy:
In any case you still have a right to be frustrated if that idea is true because then Funimation has used footage that is not indicative of this release to advertise said release!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:04 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Ok, now this is just making my head spin because we just have that one trailer which i don't think is exactly what the release will be. Unless i am missing something because i am having too high of expectations about it. :crazy:
Yeah, I gave up on FUNi a long time ago and quit buying from them. However, the announcement of said release and comments from a FUNi rep gave me a slimmer of hope, but now the cats out of the bag. Accept it or don’t, the choice is yours. The longer you keep hoping the more disappointed you’ll be. My 0.02.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:07 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:04 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm
Believe what you want *shrug*. I gave up on FUNi a long time ago and quit buying from them. I won’t lie, the announcement of this release and the words from a FUNi rep gave me a slimmer of hope, but the cats out of the bag and the footage is shit. The longer you keep hoping the more disappointed you’ll be. My 0.02.
Eh it was just a momentary feeling of brief fleeting optimism i had, but i may as well just face the music now that this isn't really going to be a proper remastered HD release. :(
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm No, he said this new set would use the same film prints as the Levels sets (and the HD bricks). Which is what this set is. No false claims that I can see.
That was AnimeMaauko I believe, not Geekdom.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm Packaging itself is literally a black box! Like jesus. This release has to be a legitimate joke! Only explanation.
I like the packaging in that it feels upmarket and chic, formal. It's literally the only part about the boxset that actually lives up to the occasion for which it was created.

Funnily enough though I was thinking instead of the "30th Anniversary Blu-Rays" we should start calling these Black Bricks. Because the only thing worse than an Orange Brick is a BURNT Orange Brick!
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm Ok, now this is just making my head spin because we just have that one trailer which i don't think is exactly what the release will be. Unless i am missing something because i am having too high of expectations about it. :crazy:
In any case you still have a right to be frustrated if that idea is true because then Funimation has used footage that is not indicative of this release to advertise said release!
BLACK BRICKS - THAT IS SO FUNNY! GOOD ONE! :lol:
My YouTube

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm
isamu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm
Son Gara wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Honestly, if you're really serious about getting it I would wait until it reaches it's funding goal. Maybe after that they might actually put out a decent trailer, as some are speculating that the footage shown isn't what the actual footage will be since they need the reservations to prove to Toei to give them the better masters. Of course who knows if that's true or not. Personally, I'd tell you to save your money or put that money into obtaining the Dragon Boxes.
How much can the Dragon Box sets be had for these days? I would be $600 for them
Depends on how long and patience you want to be. If you want it all right now then yeah you'll probably looking around $600-$800 for the whole set. If you're now in a hurry then you can wait for good deals to present themselves. I bought box 7 for $4 at a video game convention then a few months later was able to get box 5 for about $40 off eBay. It certainly takes a lot longer, but you can find them for good prices if you wait and look long enough.
Where can I get the complete set of dragon boxes for 600-800? From what I've seen on ebay and amazon that's the price for a single box set not the whole series.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm BLACK BRICKS - THAT IS SO FUNNY! GOOD ONE! :lol:
I second this. This release shall forever be known as the “Black Bricks” for me.