Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Azelf89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:22 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm BLACK BRICKS - THAT IS SO FUNNY! GOOD ONE! :lol:
I second this. This release shall forever be known as the “Black Bricks” for me.
Pluralization even works because the set comes with two: one for the discs and another for the modded statue.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 pm

1317/3000. Almost 12 hours since it was put up and already close to passing the half-way mark.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Never have I understood the phrase "filthy casuals" more than I do now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 pm 1317/3000. Almost 12 hours since it was put up and already close to passing the half-way mark.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, no matter how mucked up the quality of the video or other things are you can bet the casual Dragon Ball fans will come a knocking to buy anything that FUNi pumps out.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 pm Never have I understood the phrase "filthy casuals" more than I do now.
Nothing is wrong with being casual, but spending 350 bucks on a product without doing research is plain ignorance. That's the biggest problem with this fandom as a whole, its the ignorance.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 pm 1317/3000. Almost 12 hours since it was put up and already close to passing the half-way mark.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, no matter how mucked up the quality of the video is the you can bet the causal Dragon Ball fans will come a knocking to buy anything that FUNi pumps out.
Yeah. I mean cropping aside, the only parts of this release that are new are the packaging, the art book, and as ludicrous as it is, Goku's face and his left arm.
DragonBallKing wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:52 pm
Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 pm Never have I understood the phrase "filthy casuals" more than I do now.
Nothing is wrong with being casual, but spending 350 bucks on a product without doing research is plain ignorance. That's the biggest problem with this fandom as a whole, its the ignorance.
I wouldn't say it's a lack of research more than it's a lack of proper care and self-awareness for what they're actually buying. It's the Blu-Ray equivalent of a limited edition cheap T-Shirt.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm

At this point Dragon Ball fans should do what Star Wars fans have done. Create their own despecialize version of Dragon Ball Z
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 pm

The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm At this point Dragon Ball fans should do what Star Wars fans have done. Create their own despecialize version of Dragon Ball Z
There are multiple threads here I could point to for that, mainly "Recolouring the Dragon Boxes".

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 pm
The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 pm At this point Dragon Ball fans should do what Star Wars fans have done. Create their own despecialize version of Dragon Ball Z
There are multiple threads here I could point to for that, mainly "Recolouring the Dragon Boxes".
You mind showing me those please
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Honestly the color disparities of the Dragon Boxes due to the 16mm film source's age isn't a huge issue to me, it's mostly the complete presentation of the Japanese version in the proper aspect ratio that's the biggest draw for me personally.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 pm

Y'know what they should have done instead of this stupidity? Put the Dragon Boxes back in print. Like, seriously. Sure, some of the super casual fans would have complained it wasn't a Blu-Ray, but it would have actually appeased the portion of the fandom that I assume they're trying to cater to here, that being the part of the fandom that just wants to own the goddamn series in 4:3 with no DNR or other issues.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:15 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 pm Y'know what they should have done instead of this stupidity? Put the Dragon Boxes back in print. Like, seriously. Sure, some of the super casual fans would have complained it wasn't a Blu-Ray, but it would have actually appeased the portion of the fandom that I assume they're trying to cater to here, that being the part of the fandom that just wants to own the goddamn series in 4:3 with no DNR or other issues.
That would be great, i have had good luck with finding the ones i have now for the prices i did on eBay but i'd like if they did do that so i could finally complete my Dragon Box collection at long last.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Well...this thread blew up since I went to work. And having watched the trailer, I can see why.

$350 is honestly too pricey for me anyway (though it's right on that margin where I could almost make myself do it), but from the look of things, it's not looking like it will be something quite as spectacular as people hoped, soooo...guess I'll be sticking with my old Orange Brick DVD's. Unless I decide to upgrade to the Bluray Season Sets eventually, but I'm kind of meh on that notion too, so yeah.

As far as how people are going so far as to insult the fans who would be interested in buying this though...I'm conflicted. On the one hand, that's just asinine regardless of how angry one is, and the idea of throwing the word 'casual' at anyone who's going to spend $300+ on a series is pretty ludicrous to me. At the same time though...I'm pretty sure you can get the entire series in multiple other formats for FAR cheaper than that, so I'm not entirely sure what's going through the minds of people buying this if they only want the show period either...is the idea of a figure and an artbook really that intriguing to people? :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 pm

The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 pm
Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19448
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 pmthe idea of throwing the word 'casual' at anyone who's going to spend $300+ on a series is pretty ludicrous to me.
Personally I disagree. There's definitely a "hardcore casual" audience for Dragon Ball to me. To me, "properly" hardcore fans (apologies for the condescending subtext of the name) are folks like on this site who want to analyze the show, figure out how it ticks, learn about its creation and influences, and of course learn about the Japanese side of it underneath the dub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:28 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 pm
The Patrolman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:00 pm
Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19448
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 pmthe idea of throwing the word 'casual' at anyone who's going to spend $300+ on a series is pretty ludicrous to me.
Personally I disagree. There's definitely a "hardcore casual" audience for Dragon Ball to me. To me, "properly" hardcore fans (apologies for the condescending subtext of the name) are folks like on this site who want to analyze the show, figure out how it ticks, learn about its creation and influences, and of course learn about the Japanese side of it underneath the dub.
Yeah like take me for instance, i mean i've got an account here among other things such as discussing little intricate details about the series and hunting long and hard for the Dragon Boxes. I believe that really speaks for itself in terms of my "properly" hardcore love/greater enjoyment of this franchise.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 pm

It's funny, when people dream of winning the lotto they think of things like, buy a big house, buy a Lamborghini, maybe a boat. All I dream about is having the $2.1m spare to buy all 6000 of these, pile them up outside and set them on fire so no one ever gets this release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 pm

bigray wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 pm It's funny, when people dream of winning the lotto they think of things like, buy a big house, buy a Lamborghini, maybe a boat. All I dream about is having the $2.1m spare to buy all 6000 of these, pile them up outside and set them on fire so no one ever gets this release.
I would actually spend it funding Funimation to do a CORRECT remaster of their footage, DB to GT.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 pm

It’s crazy how just a few weeks ago people were worried that we wouldn’t get to 3,000 preorders and all hope would be lost for a proper home release of the series. Now we’re worried this’ll actually sell and we still won’t get a proper release. :lol:
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:37 pm

Like Harmy? Yeah, that would be cool.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm another who missed seeing all this happen in real time; wow does this set not look in a good way. :crazy:

I mean, I'm grateful I have my DBoxes, and I'm at a point now where I'm not double-dipping anymore, but it's a real shame this release isn't what it could've been because the ability and materials to create a release even better than the Dragon Boxes exist--the broadcast audio has been found and 2019 computers are way better than 2002 computers--it's just no one's bothering to actually create it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!