Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Is there any precedent of a Japanese blu ray box set of a series that is longer then 200 episodes? The largest one I can think of are the yu yu sets and they were not even one complete set. Plus its only like a 110 eps and 2 movies.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Did a funimation rep come out and say that shitty footage is from the actual release? All you fans that are saying its crap which it is why in gods name would they have the level set footage of some scenes and the shitty footage of others. Why not just the shitty footage if this really is the remaster?? Again i think i am going to give Funimation a little more credit than this. Since Kai they have been a much better company for DBZ. Whether you like how they did the Dragon Boxes or not they did release them. I just think this was a poor marketing decision nothing more. Chill

Reasons I believe this
Trailer Uses Both Level Sets and the Season set converted to 4:3
The actual package design is something clearly designed by Toei Animation
Look at the discs for instance they look like a Dragon Box style design
The Figure Idea is something that was exclusive to the Dragon Box
The Actual set looks like a bigger than normal box set release.

Would Toei really want to promote this product in joint collaboration with Funimation if it looked this bad?
Would they really need over 1 million dollars to fund this set just for the aesthetic packaging??? I think there is more to this set than meets the eye and i will not give up hope just yet.. However even if it is as terrible looking as this the design of it i like. :/

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Chuquita wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:46 pm I'm another who missed seeing all this happen in real time; wow does this set not look in a good way. :crazy:

I mean, I'm grateful I have my DBoxes, and I'm at a point now where I'm not double-dipping anymore, but it's a real shame this release isn't what it could've been because the ability and materials to create a release even better than the Dragon Boxes exist--the broadcast audio has been found and 2019 computers are way better than 2002 computers--it's just no one's bothering to actually create it.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: FUNi doesn’t give a shit about the fans. It’s a scam. And the idiots buying this release are the ones to thank for the continued butchered treatment since the 2000s. FUNi would rather spend their money on making limited edition figurines that you can jerk off to, rather than a proper remaster similar to the Level sets. This is the legacy FUNi will leave behind. :clap:
bigray wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 pm It's funny, when people dream of winning the lotto they think of things like, buy a big house, buy a Lamborghini, maybe a boat. All I dream about is having the $2.1m spare to buy all 6000 of these, pile them up outside and set them on fire so no one ever gets this release.
Haha, yeah but then you’d supporting FUNi and enabling them to continue ripping off fans. :thumbdown:
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 am

I think the theory that the footage is placeholder would hold more water if the footage wasn't all from Episode 1. They have a perfectly good HD master of that episode in the form of the Level set master, why in God's name would they go through the effort of producing a 4:3 version of the far inferior season set master just for this trailer? It just seems unlikely to me.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am

Just wanted to say, I truly believe this is more so the doing of Toei Animation than FUNimation. FUNi had no issues releasing older properties like Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray in great quality. Then there's Toei, responsible for blocking One Piece episodes on Blu-ray because it's not a thing in Japan and withholding better masters of Sailor Moon episodes from Viz Media. The difference between the Blu-rays we got here to the ones released in Japan are like night and day.

Unless it's being withheld until a later date, there was no mention of the broadcast audio being utilized. Seems like Toei would block. Toei hasn't been afraid to put a hamper on things FUNimation tried giving us, like the TFS cameo in Kai Final Chapters and preventing Mark de Groot from dubbing one of Super's songs at the request of Sabat.

I just wish back when Level sets were being produced, it was handled with a reservation minimum like this collection had. Then maybe we could have gotten the remaster DBZ deserved.
Last edited by jelleline89 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 am I think the theory that the footage is placeholder would hold more water if the footage wasn't all from Episode 1. They have a perfectly good HD master of that episode in the form of the Level set master, why in God's name would they go through the effort of producing a 4:3 version of the far inferior season set master just for this trailer? It just seems unlikely to me.
Why would the footage not all be the shitty inferior footage? Why would it also only be episode 1 and not more of the series like the Level Sets were when that trailer came out? Something honestly doesn't add up here. If this was just that shitty master they showed they could of done clips from the entire series as this is clearly just the Season sets in 4:3.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:23 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am
PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:00 am I think the theory that the footage is placeholder would hold more water if the footage wasn't all from Episode 1. They have a perfectly good HD master of that episode in the form of the Level set master, why in God's name would they go through the effort of producing a 4:3 version of the far inferior season set master just for this trailer? It just seems unlikely to me.
Why would the footage not all be the shitty inferior footage? Why would it also only be episode 1 and not more of the series like the Level Sets were when that trailer came out? Something honestly doesn't add up here. If this was just that shitty master they showed they could of done clips from the entire series as this is clearly just the Season sets in 4:3.
Yeah, i can tell things don't really seem to add up going by that trailer. Maybe there's more to this whole thing than we think.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 am

If the footage is indeed from previous releases, Funimation would have already made that clear to stop all this speculation. The fact that they’re silent on it even after receiving hundreds of tweets telling them it sucks shows that the product we are getting is exactly what’s shown in the video.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 am

MajinMan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 am If the footage is indeed from previous releases, Funimation would have already made that clear to stop all this speculation. The fact that they’re silent on it even after receiving hundreds of tweets telling them it sucks shows that the product we are getting is exactly what’s shown in the video.
Yeah, you'd think they would come forward and officially clarify what's going on here but nope not a single word.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:31 am

MajinMan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 am If the footage is indeed from previous releases, Funimation would have already made that clear to stop all this speculation. The fact that they’re silent on it even after receiving hundreds of tweets telling them it sucks shows that the product we are getting is exactly what’s shown in the video.
Being that i went to school for marketing ill tell you another reason why they are silent.. Because they don't want to throw their whole marketing team under the bus. This was a horrendous decision that can get people fired, do you really think they want to say something in an unofficial tweet as opposed to another official announcement that will tell us that the reservation $$$ is also being used to remaster the series?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:35 am

If you already have the Season Blu-Rays, definitely stick with those. Despite being widescreen, you end up with much more footage :lol: .

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:38 am

DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:35 am Image
If you already have the Season Blu-Rays, definitely stick with those. Despite being widescreen, you end up with much more footage :lol: .
I'm definitely sticking with my Dragon Boxes because that looks pretty atrocious, even with being in 4:3 a good chunk of the picture is obscured by the dimensions of the framing.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:39 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am
Well, the only footage from the Level masters, far as I can tell, is the opening. Frankly, this release being the Season masters, in faux 4:3 with the Level openings slapped at the beginning of each episode sounds like the exact kind of shit FUNi would pull. So that's probably what's going on here. Because, again, why would they go through the effort of creating new 4:3 versions of those shots just for this trailer? Either the marketing department is made of a bunch of incompetent idiots who wasted time and resources creating new placeholder shots when perfectly good ones already existed, or this is the footage we're getting
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:31 am
Being that i went to school for marketing ill tell you another reason why they are silent.. Because they don't want to throw their whole marketing team under the bus. This was a horrendous decision that can get people fired, do you really think they want to say something in an unofficial tweet as opposed to another official announcement that will tell us that the reservation $$$ is also being used to remaster the series?
You hit the nail on the head. :thumbup:
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:51 am

Out of curiosity, is anybody from here actually buying this? If it turns out that the marketing team was a bunch of morons and the entire show is actually getting a Level set style master, I'd like to see clips that are neither of Ep 1-39 nor included in any previous documentaries or trailers. If it turns out that what we see in the trailers is what we're going to get for the whole series (cringe) it'll be informative to see if the zoom is this bad for the whole series (and maybe how the zoom compares to the zoom of the Blue Bricks and Green Bricks)
Last edited by Danfun64 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 am
Who did me or the other one?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:01 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 am
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 am

Who did me or the other one?
You. :P
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:03 am

Are they fucking making the 16:9 versions in 4:3?!!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:03 am
Are they fucking making the 16:9 versions in 4:3?!!
I honestly don't know, without exact details on the specs we can only guess assuming that's not the final quality of the release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:12 am

I think the zooming is because they want to get rid of the tape marks (same for the blue bricks) because that seemed to be the biggest pain (and probably one of the more expensive) parts of the remaster and this crop looks like it leaves a lot of room to cut out the tape marks. The DNR...for some reason they think that looks good. It's also weird because it looks like the level opening is DNRed but not contrast boosted like the rest of the clips

Also I did not get any email on any email I gave them (I have 2). They best not be selling my email to fund this! lol