Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:38 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am Just noticed that the artwork for Goku on his statue box is very similar to the cover for Xenoverse 2. For a 30th anniversary celebration release, there's almost nothing about this that's actually NEW. Dragon Box this ain't, even the mass-market Blu-Ray Seasons got brand new art pieces made for them distinct for those releases.

Don't forget that this too is on Dragon Ball Kai's 2014 ED1:

I think TOEI re-used this on DBS as well.
Everything about this release just feels so lazy. That will be even more obvious if the hardback book contains nothing but recycled promo art. Worse part is Funimation seems to think after all the complaining about their problems people will buy this set just because its in 4:3. Passive aggressiveness at its worst.
Jon Jon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:21 am My optimistic side feels that there is potential for them to continue the level sets remaster, because where is all of this money going if they aren't actually going to redo the season set remaster? With a total gross of over $1,000,000, I imagine they have the few hundred thousand to do a proper in house remaster with existing resources (people, utilities, and film assets).
That's wishful thinking. Funimation are a business at the end of the day. If they feel they can make a profit off gullible fans and make a run for it without using any of the money to do a proper remastering they will. Sad to say but I wouldn't put it past them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:43 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:38 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 am
KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am Just noticed that the artwork for Goku on his statue box is very similar to the cover for Xenoverse 2. For a 30th anniversary celebration release, there's almost nothing about this that's actually NEW. Dragon Box this ain't, even the mass-market Blu-Ray Seasons got brand new art pieces made for them distinct for those releases.

Don't forget that this too is on Dragon Ball Kai's 2014 ED1:

I think TOEI re-used this on DBS as well.
Everything about this release just feels so lazy. That will be even more obvious if the hardback book contains nothing but recycled promo art. Worse part is Funimation seems to think after all the complaining about their problems people will buy this set just because its in 4:3. Passive aggressiveness at its worst.
Jon Jon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:21 am My optimistic side feels that there is potential for them to continue the level sets remaster, because where is all of this money going if they aren't actually going to redo the season set remaster? With a total gross of over $1,000,000, I imagine they have the few hundred thousand to do a proper in house remaster with existing resources (people, utilities, and film assets).
That's wishful thinking. Funimation are a business at the end of the day. If they feel they can make a profit off gullible fans and make a run for it without using any of the money to do a proper remastering they will. Sad to say but I wouldn't put it past them.
At this point i am seriously on the fence about the set, though leaning more and more toward not buying it because those screenshots and the trailer didn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence that this release will be good. Still if it turns out the video really is crap then at the end of the day i still have my Dragon Boxes. Then again, maybe it will be revealed that what's in the trailer is not the final quality and Toei is providing masters to them or even a Level style release but we shall see.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:38 am Everything about this release just feels so lazy. That will be even more obvious if the hardback book contains nothing but recycled promo art. Worse part is Funimation seems to think after all the complaining about their problems people will buy this set just because its in 4:3. Passive aggressiveness at its worst.
I mean to be fair, an artbook kinda has recycled artwork as its bread and butter, and personally I like promo art too for the most part.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:58 am

$325-350 to me isn't much and I ordered my set, but I really hope to god that this is NOT a Funimation remaster! If all they did was just crop their shit 16:9 release into 4:3 and we get an actual trailer once the 3000 units have been secured down the line and it still looks awful I'd probably just cancel. I was and am under the assumption Toei is behind the remaster not Funimation, and I do believe the footage shown in the trailer is not from these sets based on the assumption.
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:03 am

Are they fucking making the 16:9 versions in 4:3?!!
I honestly don't know, without exact details on the specs we can only guess assuming that's not the final quality of the release.
Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.
Simple they are pretty much 1/2 way there, I to believe the video shown is NOT from this set as again many were claiming this is not a Funimation remaster and the 3000 could actually just maybe secure 3000 orders stateside and we'll see an announcement from Japan later this year.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 am

I hope this garbage set fails but i doubt it will.

This really wouldn't be as bad as it is right now had Funimation not have screwed up so many times in the past.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:58 am $325-350 to me isn't much and I ordered my set, but I really hope to god that this is NOT a Funimation remaster! If all they did was just crop their shit 16:9 release into 4:3 and we get an actual trailer once the 3000 units have been secured down the line and it still looks awful I'd probably just cancel. I was and am under the assumption Toei is behind the remaster not Funimation, and I do believe the footage shown in the trailer is not from these sets based on the assumption.
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 am

I honestly don't know, without exact details on the specs we can only guess assuming that's not the final quality of the release.
Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.
Simple they are pretty much 1/2 way there, I to believe the video shown is NOT from this set as again many were claiming this is not a Funimation remaster and the 3000 could actually just maybe secure 3000 orders stateside and we'll see an announcement from Japan later this year.
thanks to people like you that support this vomit, funimation will never remaster the serie

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 am

People who are saying this is not the remaster they will atually use why the hell would they advertise it that way then? The clips are from episode 1. Surely they could have remastered 1 episode in time to show a good remaster.

Pretty stupid to be like here are some clips of our new remastered box set but it’s not the actual clips. That would be completely pointless

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:46 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 amPeople who are saying this is not the remaster they will atually use why the hell would they advertise it that way then?
It's not a far-fetched idea. It happens all the time.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:46 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 amPeople who are saying this is not the remaster they will atually use why the hell would they advertise it that way then?
It's not a far-fetched idea. It happens all the time.
Like when? Those clips are advertising the remaster. I just don’t understand why they would show it like that and it not be what the remaster was

Or at the very least they could say this is not the actual remaster because they are getting tons of criticism about it.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:07 am

I really don't know how they put that footage in the trailer and think it looks acceptable. How hard could it be to just release a level set quality remaster? Like they have a head start with the first 34 episodes already done and more ( I still would not have been 100% satisfied as no Japanese title cards or previews ).

I would pay more for a complete level set remaster even with the negatives of it. Such a waste as I think the packaging of the release is pretty decent except for the picture of Goku they used.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 am

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 amLike when? Those clips are advertising the remaster. I just don’t understand why they would show it like that and it not be what the remaster was
Like all the time in the home video world. Some are professional enough to put the remastered footage in ads others are careless and shove whatever they have nearby. It's not unheard of precisely because it happens.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 amOr at the very least they could say this is not the actual remaster because they are getting tons of criticism about it.
Yes, they could. And maybe they will clarify soon. At least I hope so, even if this set is not for my wallet.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 am

If only Toei Animation would have a Rule that would prohibit Funimation (and every other non Japanese Company who has Rights to DB ) to mess that much with the original Footage, but they probably don´t care as Long as Funi´s Releases bring in the Cash.

It´s really a shame that Toei didn´t made an Worldwide release of the Dragon Boxes back in the early/mid 2000´s, instead of keeping them just in Japan for the most Part. This could have preventet Funi´s own meddling Releases.
Last edited by Dragon Sponge on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 amLike when? Those clips are advertising the remaster. I just don’t understand why they would show it like that and it not be what the remaster was
Like all the time in the home video world. Some are professional enough to put the remastered footage in ads others are careless and shove whatever they have nearby. It's not unheard of precisely because it happens..
I’ve never seen that happen for a remastered video. Usually they show you what you are getting and if you they can’t show you they tell you.

And it’s not like they took previous footage from other sets. What they are showing is different. People even posted comparisons.

So they made effort to make something new but oh wait it’s not the final product. But we aren’t going to tell you that either.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:36 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 am
Like all the time in the home video world. Some are professional enough to put the remastered footage in ads others are careless and shove whatever they have nearby. It's not unheard of precisely because it happens.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 amOr at the very least they could say this is not the actual remaster because they are getting tons of criticism about it.
Yes, they could. And maybe they will clarify soon. At least I hope so, even if this set is not for my wallet.

I'm also hoping thats the case. My hope is they were just using what they had on hand to show an example of the aspect ratio? (although they could have just used level set footage if that was the case).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am

Dragon Sponge wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 am If only Toei Animation would have a Rule that would prohibit Funimation (and every other non Japanese Company who has Rights to DB ) to mess that much with the original Footage, but they probably don´t care as Long as Funi´s Releases bring in the Cash.
I mean the across the board quality of the movie Blu-Rays should tell you everything you need to know about that.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 amAnd it’s not like they took previous footage from other sets. What they are showing is different. People even posted comparisons.
Thing is, comparisons were posted but most everyone came to a different conclusion: the intro footage is from the opening in the Level sets, while the episode footage is uncropped Blu-Ray footage.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 am

Dragon Sponge wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 amIt´s really a shame that Toei didn´t made an Worldwide release of the Dragon Boxes back in the early/mid 2000´s, instead of keeping them just in Japan for the most Part. This could have preventet Funi´s own meddling Releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if Toei is working on their own remaster for the Japanese market as they have already remastered the Bardock special.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am

Dragon Sponge wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 am It´s really a shame that Toei didn´t made an Worldwide release of the Dragon Boxes back in the early/mid 2000´s, instead of keeping them just in Japan for the most Part. This could have preventet Funi´s own meddling Releases.
Sadly that's not how the industry works. Toei relies on licensees to introduce the content into other regions. Toei really only cares about the logistics in Japan.

Funimation's US DBOX release is honestly great and as much as many will get upset when I say this, it was on the market long enough to get picked up by the fans like us. I remember when it was announced back at Otakon 2009 and we all followed the release closely back then. It was of course going to be a limited release as they eventually did sell their stock, but outside of volume 2, I had regularly seen each volume in my local Best Buys, Targets, etc. for years.

For a limited set that was continuously released up through 2012 with the final volume, and then that being widely available for a couple of years or so after, it had a great run. I don't think anyone expected them to be around for forever. The Japanese ones sure weren't and we are the minority in what we want, especially now with streaming being widely prevalent.

Part of me honestly wants to think that Funimation needs the 3,000 people to commit in order to put in the order to get the series remastered properly in 4:3, which is why we just have modified stock footage that anyone with a computer and the current blurays could make. If it really is just a cash grab to take advantage of the community, then idk if they can really handle more negative PR after the whole Vic debacle.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 am

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 am
Dragon Sponge wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:29 amIt´s really a shame that Toei didn´t made an Worldwide release of the Dragon Boxes back in the early/mid 2000´s, instead of keeping them just in Japan for the most Part. This could have preventet Funi´s own meddling Releases.
I wouldn't be surprised if Toei is working on their own remaster for the Japanese market as they have already remastered the Bardock special.
That might have been animax who remastered it, you know.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am

This may sound extremely silly, but why hasn't Toei hired Q-Tec to just remaster the entirety of not only DBZ, but also DB? They did a decent job on Kai, sure it wasn't necessarily the best remaster, but it sure as hell is one of the best remasters we got. If Q-Tec just fixed their mistakes with the grain removal, alter their colors just a tiny bit, and remove and the horrific re-drawn shots entirely, then we may our best quality for these shows that for some reason is still not a thing.

Can it be that simple? What's going on? What's the hold up?

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 am This may sound extremely silly, but why hasn't Toei hired Q-Tec to just remaster the entirety of not only DBZ, but also DB? They did a decent job on Kai, sure it wasn't necessarily the best remaster, but it sure as hell is one of the best remasters we got. If Q-Tec just fixed their mistakes with the grain removal, alter their colors just a tiny bit, and remove and the horrific re-drawn shots entirely, then we may our best quality for these shows that for some reason is still not a thing.

Can it be that simple? What's going on? What's the hold up?
If they were smart, they would have let them Remaster the whole Series in the first place and then used that Footage for both the Original & Kai, with the Original being rendered in 4:3 and Kai in 16:9.

That would have been Win Win in my opinion and terminate the Need for any new Big Remaster later on...