Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 am

It makes me wonder what happened to the Level set scans (aka Steves Transfer). All they would of have to do was center crop (I don't expect other releases to have as much picture information as the level sets) to mask the tapes marks if they were worried about them and call it a day. Not sure why the decision to stick with using the masters for the season blurays.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 am It makes me wonder what happened to the Level set scans (aka Steves Transfer). All they would of have to do was center crop (I don't expect other releases to have as much picture information as the level sets) to mask the tapes marks if they were worried about them and call it a day. Not sure why the decision to stick with using the masters for the season blurays.
Just occurred to me; would anyone be okay with having the rounded edges of the film cells (which are present frequently in the Dragon Boxes) as part of the actual framing of a release so as to include as much of the picture as possible?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 am It makes me wonder what happened to the Level set scans (aka Steves Transfer). All they would of have to do was center crop (I don't expect other releases to have as much picture information as the level sets) to mask the tapes marks if they were worried about them and call it a day. Not sure why the decision to stick with using the masters for the season blurays.
Just occurred to me; would anyone be okay with having the rounded edges of the film cells (which are present frequently in the Dragon Boxes) as part of the actual framing of a release so as to include as much of the picture as possible?
I don't mind the rounded edges on my Dragon Boxes at all. What I would mind is if showing that much of the frame showed an unfinished drawing or something. Basically, show as much of the frame as possible until the actual drawings break the immersion.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:57 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 am
I don't mind the rounded edges on my Dragon Boxes at all. What I would mind is if showing that much of the frame showed an unfinished drawing or something. Basically, show as much of the frame as possible until the actual drawings break the immersion.
Mmm, good point there.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 am

I think it might be jarring just because it would be unconventional. But I think a rule of thumb for a decent remaster should be not to zoom anymore than what was originally meant to be shown (cropping out stuff that would have been in the overscan). Can any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) on a CRT TV to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:02 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 amCan any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
You mean like this?
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:41 pm Japanese Dragon Box Z

30th Anniversary Blu-ray
Last edited by Forte224 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Honestly surprises me how many people think there is no problem with what Funimation are doing here.

I summarise the key flaws of this release in a video I've uploaded here:
The 30th Anniversary Dragon Ball Z Remaster is TRASH - https://youtu.be/A0XuoJ8-_gw

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:15 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 am
I think it might be jarring just because it would be unconventional. But I think a rule of thumb for a decent remaster should be not to zoom anymore than what was originally meant to be shown (cropping out stuff that would have been in the overscan). Can any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
Sure, i assume that would be the shot of Raditz flying through the air at the end of episode 1.

Dragon Box Z (FUNi)

30th Anniversary trailer (OMG, that looks so bad!!)

DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:02 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 amCan any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) on a CRT TV to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
You mean like this?
Ah I meant on a CRT TV to see what gets cut out. I thought I wrote it but have since corrected it

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:02 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 amCan any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) on a CRT TV to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
You mean like this?
Ah I meant on a CRT TV to see what gets cut out. I thought I wrote it but have since corrected it
Oh, sadly I have a CRTV but no DVD player to use on it.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 am
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:58 am $325-350 to me isn't much and I ordered my set, but I really hope to god that this is NOT a Funimation remaster! If all they did was just crop their shit 16:9 release into 4:3 and we get an actual trailer once the 3000 units have been secured down the line and it still looks awful I'd probably just cancel. I was and am under the assumption Toei is behind the remaster not Funimation, and I do believe the footage shown in the trailer is not from these sets based on the assumption.
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 am

Yeah...I guess I have a glimmer of hope inside of me still thinking this is just a placeholder, but WHY put something like this up if they want to sell? WHY? It's a huge gamble pre ordering this set. A very big one.
Simple they are pretty much 1/2 way there, I to believe the video shown is NOT from this set as again many were claiming this is not a Funimation remaster and the 3000 could actually just maybe secure 3000 orders stateside and we'll see an announcement from Japan later this year.
thanks to people like you that support this vomit, funimation will never remaster the serie
If people would stop supporting this crap and demanded answers instead, FUNi might be more inclined to give us a response to make it better. If people buy 3,000 units, why should they care?

“It’s been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way”. LMFAO. If this is FUNi’s definition of perfection, then I look at them with an expression of exhaustion and ever-so-slight amusement. It’s the people who support this garbage that prevent us from having a remaster worthy of the name.

- “Well, maybe there’s better footage!”

Yeah ok, keep telling yourself that. When did FUNi ever release something worthy of a “remaster”? The Level sets, which got canceled. How many re-releases are there? Don’t worry I’ll wait. What did we get after the level sets? Crappy 16:9 blu-rays. What are we getting for a “30th anniversary collectible”? Faux 4:3, heavy DNR, chopped footage, etc. If I couldn’t say any better, they are headed even further backwards than some of their worst products (except the orange bricks)..

Asking FUNi for a better remaster is like asking your alcoholic husband or wife to stop their 40 year drinking habit. And after he/she smashes your face into the ground, you don’t file for divorce because you’re hopeful he/she will stop someday, yet you keep supplying the alcohol.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:40 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 am
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:58 am $325-350 to me isn't much and I ordered my set, but I really hope to god that this is NOT a Funimation remaster! If all they did was just crop their shit 16:9 release into 4:3 and we get an actual trailer once the 3000 units have been secured down the line and it still looks awful I'd probably just cancel. I was and am under the assumption Toei is behind the remaster not Funimation, and I do believe the footage shown in the trailer is not from these sets based on the assumption.

Simple they are pretty much 1/2 way there, I to believe the video shown is NOT from this set as again many were claiming this is not a Funimation remaster and the 3000 could actually just maybe secure 3000 orders stateside and we'll see an announcement from Japan later this year.
thanks to people like you that support this vomit, funimation will never remaster the serie
If people would stop supporting this crap and demanded answers instead, FUNi might be more inclined to give us a response to make it better. If people buy 3,000 units, why should they care?

“It’s been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way”. LMFAO. If this is FUNi’s definition of perfection, then I look at them with an expression of exhaustion and ever-so-slight amusement. It’s the people who support this garbage that prevent us from having a remaster worthy of the name.

- “Well, maybe there’s better footage!”

Yeah ok, keep telling yourself that. When did FUNi ever release something worthy of a “remaster”? The Level sets, which got canceled. How many re-releases are there? Don’t worry I’ll wait. What did we get after the level sets? Crappy 16:9 blu-rays. What are we getting for a “30th anniversary collectible”? A trailer showcasing their “perfection” (faux 4:3, heavy DNR, chopped footage, etc.) If I couldn’t say any better, they are headed even further backwards than some of their worst products (except the orange bricks) and you a sucker for buying into it (yet again!).

Asking FUNi for a better remaster is like asking your alcoholic husband or wife to stop their 40 year drinking habit. And after he/she smashes your face into the ground, you don’t file for divorce because you’re hopeful he/she will stop someday, yet you keep supplying the alcohol.
Which is exactly why i've resorted to buying the Dragon Boxes on eBay, because they have continued to drop the ball almost every other time and i just can't get my expectations up that they will finally get it right. The results we have seen in the decade plus since the Orange Bricks came out speak for themselves, as we have had a few baby steps forward and a series of giant steps back in terms of their own internally produced releases.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 amCan any drop a shot of the Dragon Ball Z dragon Box (a shot of raditz that was in the new remaster trailer) to see what gets lost in the overscan? Cause the Dragon Box cropping for episode one seems to be similar to my VCD fansubs that took broadcast video
That's actually a tricky question, because when the show was being produced there was a HUGE overscan area (indicated by the interior box with the very rounded corners):

Technically speaking, the footage from the Orange Bricks, Blu-Ray Seasons and these new Black Bricks don't really compromise the overscan composition of the animation, and the shots were all framed with the enormous overscan as a possibility. As a rebuttal to that though, the entirety of the drawing was done inside the full frame, the "preferred" amount of the frame from the producers (note how Goku's sketch lines don't start becoming unfinished until they're outside the full frame box).

Practically any argument about the compromises made for the Black Bricks can be refuted by pointing out that this was done specifically for Z's 30th birthday as a boutique item, and yet they cheaped the hell out on it and didn't go for an ultra-premium product. It's bordering on a repackage of an already unsatisfactory release.
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 pm Oh, sadly I have a CRTV but no DVD player to use on it.
If you have a PS3 you can hook that up via PS2 cables!
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pmHow many re-releases are there?
I'm a dork so I'll answer this one: seven, if you count Z Kai.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:48 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am I don't know what the complaint are about. It's 4:3, it's Blu-ray, it's cheap, it's the complete set. I don't know what the problem might be. To me as long as the footage is there, the colors aren't totally warped (don't care about little nuances of broadcast vs. Dragon Box vs. whatever else), I'm good.

Reserved. Thank you.
You can’t be serious?! No offense, but you are part of the contributing reason why we can’t having anything nice. Oh sure, faux 4:3, chopped footage, no problem! As long as the water colors aren’t bad and I’m far enough from the TV to not notice the smudges from the shoddy job, who cares! Enjoy your suuuppeeerr coool liiimitteeedd edddiitiooon polished turd and a smiley Goku toy. Because that’s what it is. :thumbup:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:48 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am I don't know what the complaint are about. It's 4:3, it's Blu-ray, it's cheap, it's the complete set. I don't know what the problem might be. To me as long as the footage is there, the colors aren't totally warped (don't care about little nuances of broadcast vs. Dragon Box vs. whatever else), I'm good.

Reserved. Thank you.
Oh my God, you can’t be serious?! Are you even aware of how much footage was chopped off in the trailer? No offense, but you are part of the contributing reason why we can’t having anything nice. Oh sure, faux 4:3, missing footage, no problem! As long as the water colors aren’t bad and I’m far enough from the TV to notice the smudges from the shoddy job, who cares! Enjoy your suuuppeeerr coool liiimitteeedd edddiitiooon polished turd and a smiley Goku toy. Because that’s what it is. :thumbup:
Well i'm sure as hell not buying this set, they just had to screw up yet another golden opportunity to get it right. But then again i was expecting too much because even with this being 4:3 it's still not the full intended frame and on top of being their previous smear fest of a remaster minus the faux widescreen cropping.

I still have my Dragon Boxes at the end of the day, so it's not a huge loss to me personally.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Wait! I do have a DVD player. A tiny bit more is lost compared to the 30th Anniversary. Sorry for the awful quality, I'm not set up to take screen caps of the TV.
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:41 pm Japanese Dragon Box Z

30th Anniversary Blu-ray

CRTV American Dragon Box

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 pm
That's actually a tricky question, because when the show was being produced there was a HUGE overscan area (indicated by the interior box with the very rounded corners):

Technically speaking, the footage from the Orange Bricks, Blu-Ray Seasons and these new Black Bricks don't really compromise the overscan composition of the animation, and the shots were all framed with the enormous overscan as a possibility. As a rebuttal to that though, the entirety of the drawing was done inside the full frame, the "preferred" amount of the frame from the producers (note how Goku's sketch lines don't start becoming unfinished until they're outside the full frame box).

Practically any argument about the compromises made for the Black Bricks can be refuted by pointing out that this was done specifically for Z's 30th birthday as a boutique item, and yet they cheaped the hell out on it and didn't go for an ultra-premium product. It's bordering on a repackage of an already unsatisfactory release.
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:27 pm Oh, sadly I have a CRTV but no DVD player to use on it.
If you have a PS3 you can hook that up via PS2 cables!
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pmHow many re-releases are there?
I'm a dork so I'll answer this one: seven, if you count Z Kai.
Gotcha! Thank you! I wouldn't mind the cropping to get rid of tape marks, but I wouldn't mind the tape marks wither. You can see them on the singles and they're not distracting. The Dbox hides (or did them digitally remove them?) pretty well. The DNR and oversaturation is whats killing me.
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:53 pm
Wait! I do have a DVD player. A tiny bit more is lost compared to the 30th Anniversary. Sorry for the awful quality, I'm not set up to take screen caps of the TV.
Also, thank you Forte224!
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm

I really don't why it's so hard for Funimation to put out a proper release of the series. Just put the Dragon Boxes on Bluray (maybe have Toei color correct them slightly) and call it a day. It would still look much better than what we're most likely getting
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:01 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm I really don't why it's so hard for Funimation to put out a proper release of the series. Just put the Dragon Boxes on Bluray (maybe have Toei color correct them slightly) and call it a day. It would still look much better than what we're most likely getting
I was gonna write about it being SD but then was gonna write myself in a corner because DNRing has smeared the details so much that you actually get more clarity on the DVDs lol They have the scans in HD they used for the Level sets. Unless they got rid of them they could of easily had great quality with very good colors.

isamu

Post by isamu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:08 pm

OK FUCK THE BULLSHIT!!!

Went ahead and pushed the button on a new sealed in shrink wrap Dragonbox set!!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143199524693

Anyone here think I made a mistake? Let me know :lol: