Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:50 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 pm Couple points I want to make.

1. You all need to ease off on the people buying this. Not everyone was able to buy the Dragon Boxes eight years ago and to those people, smeary shit that isn't cropped is still better than smeary shit that is cropped.
But the point is it’s smeary and still cropped

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Lol! Just look at how bad this release is compared to the gorgeous level sets! Talk about going ass backwards. This is FUNi’s definition of “perfection”. :lol:

Level sets:

30th anniversary:

Level sets:

30th anniversary:

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 pm

It still wont let me add it to the cart so that must mean to let well enough alone. Lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:59 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 pm It still wont let me add it to the cart so that must mean to let well enough alone. Lol
You know things are bad when a web site won't let you buy what it's selling. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:04 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:59 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 pm It still wont let me add it to the cart so that must mean to let well enough alone. Lol
You know things are bad when a web site won't let you buy what it's selling. :lol:
Shhhh.. don’t say anything! Maybe now they won’t reach their goal. :P
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:59 pm
Ahhh I don't reallllllllly need it anyways. I should be satisfied with what I have which is everything related to the franchise besides the manga. I just thought it'd be neat to own it. But yeah...The dang thing sure wont let me add it to the cart and i've tried over a 100 times. Lolol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 pm Couple points I want to make.

1. You all need to ease off on the people buying this. Not everyone was able to buy the Dragon Boxes eight years ago and to those people, smeary shit that isn't cropped is still better than smeary shit that is cropped.
No way i'll be ease with "fake" fans that support this outragious release, as funi don't want to release something correct you should download thoses english dragon box, they are easy to find online.

will you be okay the same way if you have to buy a computer, want an i7 and the seller sold you a celeron processor calling it i7?
it's the same things here, they claim it as HD remaster that is strictly a lie and they should be pursue for that lie, it's a fake advertisement .

it's not cause you encode something in 1080p that it can be called HD remaster, this kind of illegal way coming from funi deserve people not buying the release but also downloading them.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm

If there is DNR and cropping at the very least I wish it woulda looked something like this. The contrast seems a bit better on this new set over the season blurays but they still have that overly white/washed out look on skintones and "White must be white" thing FUNi has
But this still keeps the line art where the offical bluray everything just way to blurred (granted I used photoshop and not whatever they're using)

Everytime I catch myself thinking about taking the chance, I look at my level sets :lol:

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:24 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:42 pm
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:40 pm So are these new Blu Rays just the 2013 Blu Rays uncropped in 4:3??
This has even less footage than the original 4:3 as they seemingly cropped their 16:9 version back to 4:3 with some odd zoom. I'm not a video expert but that's what I got from people who understand what's going on.

Wow thats just pathetic of Funimation to do something like that. Once again DBZ fans are robbed of getting a good properly remastered home release. When I first heard about this release coming out I was prepared to sell my 16:9 Blu Rays to help fund this for me but after seeing the trailer and the screenshots you can forget about that.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Funimation needs to remaster the series the same way they did with the level sets.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:25 pm Funimation needs to remaster the series the same way they did with the level sets.
I think thats the biggest frustration. They have that :/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23yEzf3Czdk&t=23s

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Not trying to be a debbie downer, but this point, I think it’s fair to say I’ve given up on holding out for a proper DB, DBZ, and DBGT remaster. Yes, the Dragon Boxes are nearly complete, but the color looks atrocious and the sound is drowned to hell. As much as I’d like to be wrong, I’m going to say with confidence we will never get a proper 4:3 remaster like the Level sets. This has been proven to be true time and time again.

I’m actually thinking about getting into DB Kai and just ditching everything I’ve come to love about the original Z. No offense to anyone who feels differently, but I’m tired and the idea of having something more canon to the manga without much or any filler is quite nice, combined with crystal clear audio.

I know there were some problems with plagiarism from early DB Kai releases, but which one would you recommend and why? Also, the colors aren’t completely fixed(?), so has there been a fan project that fixes it?
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 pm

The best thing we can do right now is wait, let's stop speculating what is in the trailer and what is not.
Let's also not assume anything in the video is actually going to be in the final product either.

In the coming weeks we should get some updates and possibly screencaps.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 pm The best thing we can do right now is wait, let's stop speculating what is in the trailer and what is not.
Let's also not assume anything in the video is actually going to be in the final product either.

Your optimism is admirable, but kind of pathetic when you look at everything FUNi has done. I respect your choice to buy this set, but disagree because you’re contributing to the destruction of a show I deeply care about. What you do is what many people do - invent reasons to justify poor decisions based on what the wise and knowledgeable do.
My YouTube

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 pm The best thing we can do right now is wait, let's stop speculating what is in the trailer and what is not.

I think the problem is there are those (who are on both sided) that are timid to pre-order on fear we are seeing the final product and those that want to wait, but the pre-orders will be filled by then. However, I wouldnt put it past FUNimation to include more pre-orders since this seems to be filling up quick

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Damn, I accidentally pre-ordered this without knowing if it’s gonna have the Faulconer score. Oh well, either way, that packaging is sweet. If I end up with a $350 paperweight, I won’t complain.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:50 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm Damn, I accidentally pre-ordered this without knowing if it’s gonna have the Faulconer score. Oh well, either way, that packaging is sweet. If I end up with a $350 paperweight, I won’t complain.
$350 for a shitty remaster, some Goku toy and unoriginal box art. But “oh well” it’ll become a paper weight. With all due respect, that mind set is a recipe for wealth destruction.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:53 pm

WOW! I can't believe yet again FUNi is releasing yet another DBZ set and they still can't get it right. So glad I bought the Dragon Boxes back in 2009 and they were $40-$45 a piece but so worth it.

You'd think FUNi would've learn how to handle this but same old FUNi. :roll:

Here's an idea FUNi, why not re-release the Dragon Boxes again for the 30th anniversary.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I think the problem is there are those (who are on both sided) that are timid to pre-order on fear we are seeing the final product and those that want to wait, but the pre-orders will be filled by then. However, I wouldnt put it past FUNimation to include more pre-orders since this seems to be filling up quick
^ Bingo.

Not worth taking the chance it’ll be good, I’d rather take the gamble. Like I said it’s really win-win to me. It’ll either be a better product than shown, and that sweet vindication will be rubbed into some faces here, because at least one person here (not AM, you’re cool) wants to mock people for buying what is - in the end - a Blu-ray collection of a cartoon show meant for Japanese boys, so good on you I guess.

If it’s not good and the trailer footage is accurate, I reckon it’ll still be the only Blu-ray collection in 4:3 for some time and I don’t want to wear down my Dragon Boxes too much. DVDs are more prone to damage than Blu-rays, let’s not forget. If I choose to not keep it, it’ll likely sell for profit.

To me the worst case scenario is having it be a good product and already being sold out, and my track record with luck isn’t too great.

And you know what? I have the Dragon Boxes, I have what is the best version of the show, so doesn’t matter to me either way.

And the thoughts of there being a Toei-JPN remaster? It’s possible, but as of now they’re pushing this.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm Damn, I accidentally pre-ordered this without knowing if it’s gonna have the Faulconer score. Oh well, either way, that packaging is sweet. If I end up with a $350 paperweight, I won’t complain.
I would be surprised if it didn't have the Faulconer score.