"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nokra » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 pm

I honestly can't take Dyspo seriously with that voice. At least with belmod he's a clown so he is meant to sound weird. japanese dyspo just sounds better to me.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm Goku: "I've got my own tricks silly rabbit"

:lol:
Me, watching this episode: people are gonna whinge about this, aren't they?

Me, looking at this thread: yup, they are. Well, at least we're getting that instead of another round of "lol Dyspo is a black guy."
Haha same, there always seems to the be the one line you know will come up on the forums and I knew it immediately. Yeah it is a bit dumb but I don't mind an odd line here or there. People are very precious about their dubs being faithful, at the end of the day the dub quality is very high, if an odd line is enough to put you off then so be it. DBZ is also much more of a comedy than most animes so if they want to attempt to add their own flair of comedy a little I don't mind. The sub is always there.

For those complaining about Dyspo, I don't buy it at all, I think he sounds great and is acted extremely well.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm Goku: "I've got my own tricks silly rabbit"

:lol:
Me, watching this episode: people are gonna whinge about this, aren't they?

Me, looking at this thread: yup, they are. Well, at least we're getting that instead of another round of "lol Dyspo is a black guy."
Still don't like Dyspo's voice tbh.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:18 am

Tonight's episode was rather serviceable, I had fretted over Mike Mcfarland's potential performance over the Tournament of Power's more serious Roshi, but he pulled it off rather well! Notable script changes I had noted came from Caway's line of Roshi "making her undesirable as a wife" into being fear from him being such a "gnarly dude" (which, given the original line... quite frankly feels like an improvement to me personally), and we also had a reference to the Konami code's "up up down down left right left right" when Roshi was dodging Ganos's attack. Super's dub loves its silly pop-culture references, but given the context of the scene it didn't particularly pull me out of the immersion of viewing.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:15 am

Nokra wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 pm I honestly can't take Dyspo seriously with that voice. At least with belmod he's a clown so he is meant to sound weird. japanese dyspo just sounds better to me.
There's nothing weird about either of their voices. Why is it weird for a lot of you for a black guy to do a character's voice?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Is this dub in which episode now?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:25 pm

MegaBossMan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:18 am Tonight's episode was rather serviceable, I had fretted over Mike Mcfarland's potential performance over the Tournament of Power's more serious Roshi, but he pulled it off rather well! Notable script changes I had noted came from Caway's line of Roshi "making her undesirable as a wife" into being fear from him being such a "gnarly dude" (which, given the original line... quite frankly feels like an improvement to me personally), and we also had a reference to the Konami code's "up up down down left right left right" when Roshi was dodging Ganos's attack. Super's dub loves its silly pop-culture references, but given the context of the scene it didn't particularly pull me out of the immersion of viewing.
Not sure why. the original Dragon Ball shows that he can do serious Roshi just fine.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:07 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:15 am
Nokra wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 pm I honestly can't take Dyspo seriously with that voice. At least with belmod he's a clown so he is meant to sound weird. japanese dyspo just sounds better to me.
There's nothing weird about either of their voices. Why is it weird for a lot of you for a black guy to do a character's voice?
I'm just thrown off by how stereotypically "street" he sounds and the overall delivery of lines compared to the Japanese version. Perhaps it will grow on me as the arc continues like how the Japanese voices did throughout DBS.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:19 pm Is this dub in which episode now?
Episode 105

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 pm

MegaBossMan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:18 am Tonight's episode was rather serviceable, I had fretted over Mike Mcfarland's potential performance over the Tournament of Power's more serious Roshi, but he pulled it off rather well! Notable script changes I had noted came from Caway's line of Roshi "making her undesirable as a wife" into being fear from him being such a "gnarly dude" (which, given the original line... quite frankly feels like an improvement to me personally), and we also had a reference to the Konami code's "up up down down left right left right" when Roshi was dodging Ganos's attack. Super's dub loves its silly pop-culture references, but given the context of the scene it didn't particularly pull me out of the immersion of viewing.
Haha didn't even notice the Konami code reference but I guess that's a good testament to how it wasn't forced. I'll be honest I was almost tearing up there when Roshi was getting revived, great emotional delivery from Schemmel and Strait. McFarland sounded great all episode as well, dub continues to deliver in my opinion and it was nice reliving this episode from the ToP, definitely one of the stand outs.

Speaking of stand outs, we're getting close to 109 and 110. How do you think they will handle Ultimate Battle? Leave as it is or make an English version of it? I can't remember what did they did for the insert song during the Goku Kaioken Blue vs Hit episode.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm

It has nothing to do with the voice actor's skin color, so I don't know why you felt the need to bring that up as if it means something; it has everything to do with his voice, his acting. Personally, I was a little put off at the beginning because I didn't imagine Dyspo sounding like that in the English dub (although, I'm put off by any English voice when I've gotten used to the Japanese version beforehand).

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:11 pm

nato25 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:23 pm
Speaking of stand outs, we're getting close to 109 and 110. How do you think they will handle Ultimate Battle? Leave as it is or make an English version of it? I can't remember what did they did for the insert song during the Goku Kaioken Blue vs Hit episode.

Likely left as is

Funimation stopped dubbing insert songs during Kai (last one was Sanjou! Ginyu Toku Sentai)

Chouzetsu Dynamic was left as-is as well (fully granted, it was all but confirmed the record label just didnt want them dubbing it)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:21 am

Dunno about insert songs, but all of the ED themes as well as the second OP were dubbed. Since IIRC both the Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs covered Ultimate Battle, there's a good chance the Funi dub will too, but :shrug: .
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Daisetsu wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm
It has nothing to do with the voice actor's skin color, so I don't know why you felt the need to bring that up as if it means something; it has everything to do with his voice, his acting. Personally, I was a little put off at the beginning because I didn't imagine Dyspo sounding like that in the English dub (although, I'm put off by any English voice when I've gotten used to the Japanese version beforehand).
Sure it doesn't. That's why so many people here started talking about how weird he sounds because "he sounds black" or the many "Dyspo is black now LOL" posts. Nothing to do with skin color though right?

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:11 pm Sure it doesn't. That's why so many people here started talking about how weird he sounds because "he sounds black" or the many "Dyspo is black now LOL" posts. Nothing to do with skin color though right?
And you would have a point if Nokra actually said anything close to that. Those others are idiots and deserve to be talked down to, though.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

DBS Facebook page just announced that Chris Ayers will be voicing freeza in the Vol. 8 release (episodes 92-105)

Did Chris voice freeza in those episodes when they aired on TV or does this mean he's re-dubbing those episodes that already aired? I assumed it was Daman Mills because the voice didn't sound like Chris when those episodes aired, but I don't know where to look into it so I wasn't sure.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Welp, if Chris Ayres is redubbing the scenes in question, I hope somebody archives high-quality audio of the Daman Mills takes. A little annoyed that Funi is still being revisionist.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm

DasMuse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm DBS Facebook page just announced that Chris Ayers will be voicing Freeza in the Vol. 8 release (episodes 92-105)

Did Chris voice Freeza in those episodes when they aired on TV or does this mean he's re-dubbing those episodes that already aired? I assumed it was Daman Mills because the voice didn't sound like Chris when those episodes aired, but I don't know where to look into it so I wasn't sure.
Daman has been filling in for the TV airings, I'm assuming because they needed to get them done for a certain timeframe & Chris Ayres' condition has left him unable to record Frieza's lines, especially if he was recording the Broly movie when those episodes were being recorded, since Sean Schemmel was SUPER busy (no pun intended) recording both in the same timeframe late last year. After they recorded them for TV, I can imagine that they found a section of time where Chris could rerecord the dialogue. This is interesting, since this is the first time since the mid-2000s that any DB material was rerecorded post-hoc of the TV airings outside correcting some dialogue or having Daman record some more dialogue for the last few episodes of the Res. F arc to have less continuity errors, since his performance was fine, but not great, as a voice double, so having it play back-to-back with Ayres' recordings was jarring, with new actors for certain characters. It's also surprising in that you wouldn't think it was going to happen.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm Welp, if Chris Ayres is redubbing the scenes in question, I hope somebody archives high-quality audio of the Daman Mills takes. A little annoyed that Funi is still being revisionist.
I wouldn't call it revisionist; at the end of the day, Daman Mills is just an understudy. He did a terrific job and I hope we get to hear his versions in some form (they'll probably continue being all over Youtube) but having him step in for the broadcast was probably an arrangement to give Chris time to focus on Broly.

Chris made it clear in his interview with Geekdom a while back that he wanted to reprise the ToP arc and I think Schemmel mentioned he would as well, so it was surprising to hear Daman in the broadcast. Now we know what the arrangement was, it makes much more sense. Plus it means we will eventually get to hear him share a scene with his brother when Freeza and Frost interact.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:44 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm Welp, if Chris Ayres is redubbing the scenes in question, I hope somebody archives high-quality audio of the Daman Mills takes. A little annoyed that Funi is still being revisionist.
I wouldn't call it revisionist; at the end of the day, Daman Mills is just an understudy. He did a terrific job and I hope we get to hear his versions in some form (they'll probably continue being all over Youtube) but having him step in for the broadcast was probably an arrangement to give Chris time to focus on Broly.
:shrug: it almost comes off like when Dale Kelly was replaced with Kyle Herbert for the Cell Games singles (I'm not even going into the Orange Brick partial redub)
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.