Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:52 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:09 am It's different because we're talking 291 episodes vs 16 movies. And it's probably not Toei who remastered the Bardock TV special.
We theorized a while back that it might have been several teams who were each assigned different films, hence why the quality seemed to go up and down yet with several having the same visual quirks.
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 am Maybe they'll address the backlash if we get loud enough like dislike bomb the trailer.
Might be more limited than you think considering anyone outside the US won't be able to load the entire page.
jaisonas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 am That gives me a question to ask and ponder about: how do the Black Bricks compare to the Japanese Movie Blu-Rays?
Funi movie bluray vs Toei Amazon, dont have any toei bluray footage unfortunately but this highlights the colour differences between the 2 masters.
https://diff.pics/xIls6dMDj-KV/1
https://diff.pics/aEmUwNF3vI0n/1
https://diff.pics/GTMoR_yeC_Tn/1
Well I was hoping for some more descriptive comparisons. Screenshot comparisons I think would only help with the Ha La opening. I am aware of the massive colour differences Funi have when they handle the mastering though. Not just the usual "crushed blacks and WHITE whites", but also just straight-up altering the colours, particularly the greens:
If several teams did the remastering it's even less likely toei will do their bd box remaster.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 am

If Toei were to remaster the series, would they not palm it off to whoever did Sailor Moon? They still DNR'd that, although probably a little less badly.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 am

Traveller wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 am If Toei were to remaster the series, would they not palm it off to whoever did Sailor Moon? They still DNR'd that, although probably a little less badly.
Why not just finish the Level sets? Why not just release an SD Blu Ray of the Dragon Box Z? Why not just re-release the Dragon Box Z while also giving us the Dragon Boxes for GT, OG and the Movies? Those all have the same answers laziness and not wanting to spend money.

dbzj14

Post by dbzj14 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am

Can we just wait for more information before bashing on the release?

If they come out and say that the footage used in the trailer is actually the footage used in the set then we can be upset and bash on Funimation. But until then everyone is just speculating.

My hope is that they used footage they already had to make a trailer advertising to help fund the project. I understand that it doesn’t make sense to use crappy footage for an exclusive limited edition set like this, I too am unhappy if that’s the case. But they might not be able to do the remaster until they have the funding.

No one but Funimation knows at this point. I do see the urgency of getting Funimation to comment on whether or not the footage used in the trailer is what we could expect from this new set, they are asking for a lot of money for this set after all. However, I don’t think a toxic mod of angry fans bashing on Funimation is the best way to do it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 am

dbzj14 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 amCan we just wait for more information before bashing on the release?

If they come out and say that the footage used in the trailer is actually the footage used in the set then we can be upset and bash on Funimation. But until then everyone is just speculating.
Normally I'd agree with you but at this point we've moved past the need to speculate here. As much as I say the final release will reveal all, the fact of the matter is that Funimation made a trailer using that footage to represent what will be in the Black Bricks and decided that that would be their best foot forward. We have to assume that's what will be in the final release of the set because that's what the trailer is designed to do. This isn't a Rogue One Trailer situation where the point of that is to sell us on the story, the point of this trailer is to tell us in what ways this is desirable over the other six releases of the show they've done in the past.

Believe me, I was in your shoes when all we had were the three and four-star balls, and we were saying "wait until the official reveal". Well, we're at that place now. We have to stop moving the goal posts at some point.
Last edited by KBABZ on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 am
dbzj14 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 amIf they come out and say that the footage used in the trailer is actually the footage used in the set then we can be upset and bash on Funimation. But until then everyone is just speculating.
Normally I'd agree with you but at this point we've moved past the need to speculate here. As much as I say the final release will reveal all, the fact of the matter is that Funimation made a trailer using that footage to represent what will be in the Black Bricks and decided that that would be their best foot forward. We have to assume that's what will be in the final release of the set because that's what the trailer is designed to do. This isn't a Rogue One Trailer situation where the point of that is to sell us on the story, the point of this trailer is to tell us in what ways this is desirable over the other six releases of the show they've done in the past.
to all the people thinking the trailer don't use the same shit as it will be in the box

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 am to all the people thinking the trailer don't use the same shit as it will be in the box
Kinda rude to use use that, don't you think?

There is a super-slim chance that this isn't what's in the final release, but regardless it'd be very informative to Funimation to let them know that we, the presumed market for this thing, find the remastering quality unacceptable. I think the fact that they've gone radio-silent about it on social media tells me that they are at least aware that this is happening, although whether they'll change course is another matter.

For me, the way they turn this around is announce that the set is delayed to later in the year and put out a new trailer that makes it absolutely clear that what's in it is representative of the final product (for better or worse).

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:50 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 am to all the people thinking the trailer don't use the same shit as it will be in the box
Kinda rude to use use that, don't you think?

There is a super-slim chance that this isn't what's in the final release, but regardless it'd be very informative to Funimation to let them know that we, the presumed market for this thing, find the remastering quality unacceptable. I think the fact that they've gone radio-silent about it on social media tells me that they are at least aware that this is happening, although whether they'll change course is another matter.

For me, the way they turn this around is announce that the set is delayed to later in the year and put out a new trailer that makes it absolutely clear that what's in it is representative of the final product (for better or worse).
I'm not holding my breath but some things are weird about the trailer like the fact they used level set footage.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 am

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:50 am I'm not holding my breath but some things are weird about the trailer like the fact they used level set footage.
Can't disagree with you there!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 am

dbzj14 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 amCan we just wait for more information before bashing on the release?
There's is no reason for them to use footage that looks completely different from what it will actually look like. There's also the price to take into account, if this was some new remaster then surely it would cost more than 350$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MQuack

Post by MQuack » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 am

I wanted to be so on board with this and back it right off the start, but unless Funimation addresses the concerns most of us have, they're not getting a dime out of me unfortunately. :(

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:04 am

dbzj14 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am Can we just wait for more information before bashing on the release?

My hope is that they used footage they already had to make a trailer advertising to help fund the project. I understand that it doesn’t make sense to use crappy footage for an exclusive limited edition set like this, I too am unhappy if that’s the case. But they might not be able to do the remaster until they have the funding.
Come on this is just ignorant. If I'm to ask crowd funding for $1 million dollar, I better have something ready to convince people before even posting. The fact that they did announced it and that there was new footage in the trailer that's not coming from either level set or season set pretty much told people that that was what they're working on.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 am
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 am Looks like they're almost there so we're screwed,we'll be stuck with another bad release.
I just hope Toei does not end up spreading this horror internationally... Someone here was thinking they might do their own remaster but I honestly doubt that. Toei might just release this release everywhere in the world.
Toei has their own release for everything else so I don't see why this will be any different. They already remastered the Bardock special which looked similar to their movie remasters so chances are the series will also get a similar remaster for Japan.

I think the only way for fans in America to get a proper version of Z is to import the current Japanses DVD singles or wait for Toei to release their own Blu-Rays.
I think that is unlikely for a few reasons:

a) Z brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment to the point that Banpresto, before they got dissolved, chickened out with their Z 30th line and decided to play it safe and brand it as DBS & Bandai haven't changed it. Plus like sangofe said this would almost be 300 episodes they would have release too, it is gonna be a hard sell for sure.

b) If nothing happens in 2019 then the odds of ToeiJP doing a BD release of Z I think would be very slim, since this is literally the perfect year for it, infact once DBS comes on the air it would be almost impossible for them to market a Z BD release.

If we were to get one from ToeiJP it'll probably cost a hell of a lot of money especially for importers.

I am just thankful my opinion changed on Z changed, so I don't really care about this too much however I do care about fans having a good release for a show they love especially given the history of releases.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am a) Z brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment to the point that Banpresto, before they got dissolved, chickened out with their Z 30th line and decided to play it safe and brand it as DBS & Bandai haven't changed it. Plus like sangofe said this would almost be 300 episodes they would have release too, it is gonna be a hard sell for sure.
Why is the Z brand bad in Japan? Because it’s not the new hotness and Super is?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 amZ brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment
Why is that ? isn't Z the face of the franchise worldwide ? does it have to do with its length ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am

2483/3000.

I'm hoping FUNimation gives some more information today.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 amZ brand is currently as bad as Kai was if not worse in Japan at the moment
Why is that ? isn't Z the face of the franchise worldwide ? does it have to do with its length ?
It used to be, but Super is slowly taking the crown. Sure now with Broly the highest grossing film in the franchise doesn't even carry the DBZ branding. Don't get me wrong Z is still popular but its a lot easier to sell merchandise with a newer brandname than a resurrected older one, and once Super starts again it will continue to outdo Z when it comes to sales.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am

VDenter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 am
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 am Maybe they'll address the backlash if we get loud enough like dislike bomb the trailer.
Has that ever worked with Funimation? There was a huge backlash with the Orange Bricks and the Season sets and yet nothing happened.
Has it "worked"? Not exactly. But if there weren't such a huge backlash with the Orange Bricks, I'm sure the Z Dragon Boxes would have never been released over here. And if there weren't such a huge backlash over the Season sets then we almost certainly would not have this, uh, "special" 4:3 anniversary release. The fact that both of those "solutions" by FUNimation are limited, and that one of those "solutions" looks to be downright awful, shows just how much they feel those crying out are in the minority. Big enough to acknowledge, but not big enough to fully please.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:21 am Why is the Z brand bad in Japan? Because it’s not the new hotness and Super is?
sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am Why is that ? isn't Z the face of the franchise worldwide ? does it have to do with its length ?
Idk why maybe people in Japan are over Z, don't forget they have been exposed to it a lot longer than we have. The Dokkan 4th anniversary Vegeta basically sums it up well, Japanese release vs overseas release.

Another example for June Bandai played it safe and made their Freeza HG DBS branded and not even any Z in the text smh.

DBS brand has taken over Z with the mentality of slap the logo and it'll sell over there. And a majority of DBS is still left unmarketed yet it's logo is literally flaunted everywhere. If they don't trust Z to sell its own related products I don't see much hope in a BD release doing well over there. At least not without them jacking the price way up to make up for the fact.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Visuals:
- Color corrected Dragon Box (could be upscaled to HD but I don't care either way)

Audio (3 Versions/Options):
- Japanese broadcast audio (obviously with subtitles)
- English dub audio with Kikuchi OST
- English dub audio with American OST (Johnson/Faulconer)

Please, this is all I ask of you Funimation. How hard is it to do this? You already have access to the Dragon Boxes, and you already have the broadcast audio. How hard is it for y'all to get this down right?!
Last edited by superfan2024 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.