Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 pm
VDenter wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm The image still looks flat. This certainly does't compare to the Level Sets.
Really? Thats a bummer, is the image still zoomed or is it proper 4:3?
I mean, it still looks like it COULD be zoomed-in & there's not a lot of grain, if any, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully they'll take much better care & it's just YouTube's compression that's getting rid of the grain. The color correction still appears to be better than the season sets, but maybe this is just an early trailer meant to instill confidence & when we actually get more short clips in the coming months, they'll actually show grain. Hell, I'd like to see actual comparisons to the levels, Dragon Boxes, & Season BRs just to really see the difference.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Well it certainly doesn't look as god awful as compared to the footage in the first version of the trailer, so there just might be hope for this release to still be decent yet.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 pm
VDenter wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm The image still looks flat. This certainly does't compare to the Level Sets.
I mean, it still looks like it COULD be zoomed-in & there's not a lot of grain, if any, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully they'll take much better care & it's just YouTube's compression that's getting rid of the grain. The color correction still appears to be better than the season sets, but maybe this is just an early trailer meant to instill confidence & when we actually get more short clips in the coming months, they'll actually show grain. Hell, I'd like to see actual comparisons to the levels, Dragon Boxes, & Season BRs just to really see the difference.
I hate that they think we dont like grain! I love me some grain the levels had just the right amount to make it look phenomenal. This will probably be the best release we will get until maybe the 40th or 50th anniversaries.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I don't know if he's going to chime in here, but Ajay certainly isn't impressed.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 pm

It is an improvement for sure. This is likely a reaction to all the orders that are being cancelled, and how badly the numbers have slowed since the weekend.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Grain would exist if it was actually there. But nope, FUNimation is going forward with making Season Sets in 4:3 AR.

YouTube doesn't remove grain but it compresses videos. That said, you can still clearly see the grain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dFOQZUjEE0c

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 pm It is an improvement for sure. This is likely a reaction to all the orders that are being cancelled, and how badly the numbers have slowed since the weekend.
Guess they heard the complaints about how horrible the clips looked on the trailer, and people who were and also threatening to cancel their orders.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 pm
Yeah, it seems a bit better than what was shown in the original trailer and i still hope that they will adjust stuff for the better before this inevitably gets released but the video definitely still has DNR. Which basically makes this set impossible to look as detailed as the Level Sets were.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Well, YouTube is really annoying to take screenshots on since the play bar doesn't go away, but I tried my hand at a few comparisons. From what I can tell, the picture that is shown is very comparable, and in some cases this new Blu-ray footage has more on the top, bottom, and/or edges. Not bad. Still looks to be DNR though, and dark areas are not the greatest. Much, MUCH better than what we saw in that first trailer. Hopefully things can get ironed out, but from this new trailer I think I'm on board now.

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm
Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm Well, THIS is a pleasant surprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrP640 ... ploademail
Clearly, they sourced some of the level footage & probably some other footage, but at least it's BETETR than the original trailer & actually instills confidence.
Still looks like shit but it's weird they randomly throw in Level Set clips.
Level set clips where?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm Well, YouTube is really annoying to take screenshots on since the play bar doesn't go away, but I tried my hand at a few comparisons. From what I can tell, the picture that is shown is very comparable, and in some cases this new Blu-ray footage has more on the top, bottom, and/or edges. Not bad. Still looks to be DNR though, and dark areas are not the greatest. Much, MUCH better than what we saw in that first trailer. Hopefully things can get ironed out, but from this new trailer I think I'm on board now.

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z

Black Brick
Japanese Dragon Box Z
Well now that actually looks pretty good compared to the smeared, heavily zoomed clips in the first trailer so it definitely seems the set is shaping up to appear better visually than the first look implied.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm

And to those complaining about the cropping, I think y'all should read this:

"For this particular project, creating a true 4:3 image for the entire series is a very manual process. Our production team at Funimation has gone in scene-by-scene to make judgements based on the image available in each frame of how much to trim to get to a consistent 4:3 aspect ratio, while still attempting to cut as little out of the picture as possible.

The result of this project is that some parts of the film have indeed been cropped, and in certain shots, more is cropped than other shots depending on the amount of image missing, due to the requirement to keep everything at a consistent 4:3 ratio. The process is intensely manual and very deliberate depending on the circumstances of each shot, so this cropping is not the same from scene to scene—and differs from other releases which also had their own manual process. We did not conduct the cropping while comparing to other past releases."

Also, based on these comparisons, it is just me, or do the new black bricks have the same amount, if not, more footage than the DBoxes?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm And to those complaining about the cropping, I think y'all should read this:

"For this particular project, creating a true 4:3 image for the entire series is a very manual process. Our production team at Funimation has gone in scene-by-scene to make judgements based on the image available in each frame of how much to trim to get to a consistent 4:3 aspect ratio, while still attempting to cut as little out of the picture as possible.

The result of this project is that some parts of the film have indeed been cropped, and in certain shots, more is cropped than other shots depending on the amount of image missing, due to the requirement to keep everything at a consistent 4:3 ratio. The process is intensely manual and very deliberate depending on the circumstances of each shot, so this cropping is not the same from scene to scene—and differs from other releases which also had their own manual process. We did not conduct the cropping while comparing to other past releases."

Also, based on these comparisons, it is just me, or do the new black bricks have the same amount, if not, more footage than the DBoxes?
There are certain cases where yes, the footage shown is the same or even increased compared to the Z Dragon Box. They want an even 4:3 AR, so the zooming will be variable. In the blog post, we see that same shot of all the civilians and the zoom is exactly the same as before. Overall, it seems we'll be getting a net positive of footage if their wording in that blog post is to be believed.
Last edited by Forte224 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm And to those complaining about the cropping, I think y'all should read this:

Yep, i can definitely see it has more overall image on all sides compared to the Dragon Box.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:57 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm
Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 pm Well, THIS is a pleasant surprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrP640 ... ploademail
Clearly, they sourced some of the level footage & probably some other footage, but at least it's BETETR than the original trailer & actually instills confidence.
Still looks like shit but it's weird they randomly throw in Level Set clips.
Level set clips where?
Same as the original trailer, the shots from the first opening.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Dragon Box:

Kai:

Black Bricks:

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

I’m not home just yet, but can someone compare them with the level sets?
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm Dragon Box:

Kai:

Black Bricks:
Yup, the new set definitely had the most footage and overall image of the three.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Kai:

Black Bricks:
Yup, the new set definitely had the most footage and overall image of the three.
Well, well, well!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Kai:

Black Bricks:
Could we add the Level Sets? And the Blu Season please. I'm not convinced they are showing the full width of that frame from the 2014 remaster in the new trailer, trying to minimize the lost width...
Last edited by sumpter360 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com