Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 pm Now it’s starting to look more like a collectible ...
The key word there being "more", of course. It's certainly not perfect but it's an improvement. We're at "If you missed out on the Dragon Boxes, these are ok too" territory. Kind of like people's Blue Brick recommendations, except in that case it's simply because we don't have access to the DB Dragon Box.

I'm in because it's not absolutely horrendous now and I'm a semi-casual collector. I don't feel bad pre-ordering it anymore, though I'm sure someone will tell me that I should be. If the original trailer were indicative of the final release then no collector's habits would have swayed me
I just have to say that at least they've significantly improved it from how the video quality looked in the first one, so while it may not be an absolutely perfect Level/Dragon Box HD style of release at least it's actually looking remotely acceptable now.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Ajay on Twitter is not happy about this new footage at all. Interested to get some more insight from him at some point.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 pm Now it’s starting to look more like a collectible ...
The key word there being "more", of course. It's certainly not perfect but it's an improvement. We're in "If you missed out on the Dragon Boxes, these are ok too" territory. Kind of like people's Blue Brick recommendations, except in that case it's simply because we don't have access to the DB Dragon Box.

I'm in because it's not absolutely horrendous now and I'm a semi-casual collector. I don't feel bad pre-ordering it anymore, though I'm sure someone will tell me that I should be. If the original trailer were indicative of the final release then no collector's habits would have swayed me.
But Goku’s skin is still a tad red. Hopefully that’s not the final result!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:33 pm

What an """""improvement""""". :lol:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm

As much as the footage is an improvement, looking at the "before/after" FUNimation posted (https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/), I'd still much rather have the "before", it looks much better than the "after":

"Before":

"After":
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 pm

It’s definitely not perfect, but it’s far better than we had before. Why the hell couldn't the initial trailer have this footage?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:37 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm As much as the footage is an improvement, looking at the "before/after" FUNimation posted (https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/), I'd still much rather have the "before", it looks much better than the "after":

"Before":

"After":
Huh, so it's possible the "Before" screenshot is what Gohan SSJ2 would have looked like on Level Sets.

Sucks FUNimation fucked it up.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm Honestly, I still don't think the new footage looks much better, or really any different, than the 2014 BDs. I feel like they're doing their best to convince us it's better by comparing it to the worst possible releases they can. Is it really necessary to compare it to the orange bricks? Of course it's going to look better than those based on the difference in resolution alone! I feel like they're trying to trick people into thinking this is a new remaster. The comparisons to the season BDs are almost identical outside of the aspect ratio and some slight color difference. And am I seeing things, or does it look like they intentionally made the 2014 BDs look like they were just encoded worse than the new set? Hard to tell through YouTube. Both have the same amount of DVNR, but 4:3 certainly helps. Also, this trailer intentionally pointing out the flaws of their old 16:9 BDs by highlighting how much picture was lost and using that as a selling point to convince us to buy their new set... it's evil. It's just evil.

Another thing, why all of the quick action shots? I just wanted to be able to focus on a single stationary shot for more than two seconds to really try and get a feel for this new set, and they tried really hard to prevent me from doing that.

Also, the examples here from the blog post? Why not post them in actual HD resolution? Again, I feel like they're trying to trick people. The way they present it here, their "new" remaster looks like a DVD upscale to me (or, you know, the 2014 BDs).
Same. When looking at the side by side screen comparisons, I felt more appreciative of Kai. Not the best DBZ release, of course, but I still think the warm colors on there work a lot better than the darker/cooler colors of the Black Brick. I am glad that the cropping is not as bad as it seemed though. Still, I won't be picking this up. I just finished collecting the Kai parts and am slowly collecting the Spanish Dragon Ball Color manga.
Last edited by Chilly on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm As much as the footage is an improvement, looking at the "before/after" FUNimation posted (https://www.funimation.com/blog/2019/04 ... s-created/), I'd still much rather have the "before", it looks much better than the "after":

"Before":

"After":
This alone makes me sick! I’m still NOT convinced to this set.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

"Before":

"After":
All that Funimation has convinced me of with this comparison, is how much better the "Before" image looks. :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

"For this particular project, we wanted to release the series in 4:3 for the more hardcore subset of DBZ fans who want to experience the series with higher integrity."

"Regarding the image itself, there is some digital video noise reduction to clean up some of the noise, dust and grain from the original film materials, which we felt was mandatory for this release based on the different levels of fan support from various past DBZ releases with different levels of noise reduction over the years."

A bit contradictory there, FUNimation.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 pm

VDenter wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 pm

"Before":

"After":
All that Funimation has convinced me of with this comparison, is how much better the "Before" image looks. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My YouTube

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 pm

OG Masters:

Kai (couldn't get the exact shot):

Black Brick:

Can someone get the Funi Z Singles, Z Dragon Boxes, and 2014 Funi Blu Rays for comparison please?
Last edited by superfan2024 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 pmThis alone makes me sick. Still not convinced to this set.
FUNimation has shown that their intention is to release a 4:3 AR version of the Season Sets. Even their blog goes into more depth about the "improvement".

Don't mind that I spent about $419.99 for the Dragon Boxes Z (US Edition) but they were worth it unlike this.

This second trailer AND the blog should make everything crystal clear to anyone who think FUNimation might be holding back Level Sets remasters for this release.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm

I wouldn’t say I’m fully convinced, I’m really not, but me personally I don’t think it looks truly as horrible anymore. I think this is still kind of a work in progress. I’m willing to bite the bullet after the second trailer.

That Gohan image is looking a little bright, that’s for sure. But it’s also no 4:3 Season Set, well to me anyway. I guess you guys have different eyes than I do.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm I wouldn’t say I’m fully convinced, I’m really not, but me personally I don’t think it looks truly as horrible anymore. I think this is still kind of a work in progress. I’m willing to bite the bullet after the second trailer.

That Gohan image is looking a little bright, that’s for sure. But it’s also no 4:3 Season Set, well to me anyway. I guess you guys have different eyes than I do.
I mean i don't think it looks THAT bad, true it could be better but still not nearly as horrible looking as the Orange Bricks/Season BD's.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm I wouldn’t say I’m fully convinced, I’m really not, but me personally I don’t think it looks truly as horrible anymore. I think this is still kind of a work in progress. I’m willing to bite the bullet after the second trailer.

The Raditz shot at about 20 seconds to me is night and day improved over the Season Blu-rays when it comes to the colors, anyway. Also in the shot right after where Goku and Piccolo are standing next to each other, Piccolo is no longer radiating. It's most certainly an improvement.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

I mean i don't think it looks THAT bad, true it could be better but still not nearly as horrible looking as the Orange Bricks/Season BD's.
Honestly, I’ll take it. I hope that doesn’t destroy my fandom cred or make me a terrible person, lol. No I’m sorry, a ‘fake fan’.

And if it at least helps convince FUNi that we the fans want the show in 4:3, I’ll take that too.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

How can they go from normal skin colored SSJ Gohan to pink skin SSJ Gohan. Who the fuck does that? I’ll tell ya. An idiot who doesn’t know what they’re doing. Amateurs!
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube