Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 pm Got confirmation from a FUNi rep that my order will stay intact. They sure were quick to get back to me when I decided to ‘un’-cancel, but honestly I’m not even mad right now, this is looking pretty decent after all.
I'm trying to contact them too with no luck. How did you reach them?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm I wouldn’t say I’m fully convinced, I’m really not, but me personally I don’t think it looks truly as horrible anymore. I think this is still kind of a work in progress. I’m willing to bite the bullet after the second trailer.

That Gohan image is looking a little bright, that’s for sure. But it’s also no 4:3 Season Set, well to me anyway. I guess you guys have different eyes than I do.
I mean i don't think it looks THAT bad, true it could be better but still not nearly as horrible looking as the Orange Bricks/Season BD's.
Honestly, I’ll take it. I hope that doesn’t destroy my fandom cred or make me a terrible person, lol. No I’m sorry, a ‘fake fan’.

And if it at least helps convince FUNi that we the fans want the show in 4:3, I’ll take that too.
Yeah, though i'm still not sure i'm going to get this what with already (mostly) having the Dragon Boxes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 pm I wouldn’t say I’m fully convinced, I’m really not, but me personally I don’t think it looks truly as horrible anymore. I think this is still kind of a work in progress. I’m willing to bite the bullet after the second trailer.

That Gohan image is looking a little bright, that’s for sure. But it’s also no 4:3 Season Set, well to me anyway. I guess you guys have different eyes than I do.
I mean i don't think it looks THAT bad, true it could be better but still not nearly as horrible looking as the Orange Bricks/Season BD's.
How can they go from normal skin colored SSJ Gohan to pink skin SSJ Gohan. Who the fuck does that?
The Dragon Boxes. But Toei doesn't exactly know what they're doing either.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm

The grain is completely gone. It doesn't at all offend me personally, but I'm not a purist who will analyse all this, but I'm certainly more satisfied now than I was with that first trailer.
These Blurays are an improvement over the original ones.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:00 pm

God this is depressing.
The raw looks gorgeous. The 30th set... Fucking hell, Funimation.

This is like when the 2011 Star Wars BD fixed a couple of notable instances people pointed to of the light saber cores being missing; it was a cheap trick to make it superficially seem like they'd addressed the complaints, while completely missing the point, not actually fixing any of the other serious problems.

This is still an overcontrasted, over-DNR'd, low-detail, awful mess that Funi should be ashamed for crapping out.

And very clever of them to present all these screenshots in standard def 576p, so the detail loss isn't as visible.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm

How can they go from normal skin colored SSJ Gohan to pink skin SSJ Gohan. Who the fuck does that?
The Dragon Boxes. But Toei doesn't exactly know what they're doing either.
That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 pm Got confirmation from a FUNi rep that my order will stay intact. They sure were quick to get back to me when I decided to ‘un’-cancel, but honestly I’m not even mad right now, this is looking pretty decent after all.
This load of crap looks.. decent? Well, if you like it then enjoy it, I guess. But it's still as bad as it was before.

You can even see it ever more clearly on the "Before" vs "After" screenshots.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
Source? I've seen a lot of people toss this around with no source to speak of, and I'm pretty certain it's just a rumour.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Someone on Reddit pointed out that if you do "Open image in new tab" on any of the comparison images and remove the "-1024x576" from the image url, you can get the images in much higher resolution. Now whether this is FUNi intentionally keeping the images at lower res to make their remaster look better...I'm not sure what to think.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm Someone on Reddit pointed out that if you do "Open image in new tab" on any of the comparison images and remove the "-1024x576" from the image url, you can get the images in much higher resolution. Now whether this is FUNi intentionally keeping the images at lower res to make their remaster look better...I'm not sure what to think.
Oh, it's definitely because of that.

Think you could link the high-res images here for me? I'm in the UK, so I'm geoblocked out of the blog.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm

The important thing here is: Make some noise people. We now know that speaking up does SOMETHING. Had we all just rolled over in 2014 with the Blu-rays it's almost certain that this 4:3 set wouldn't have come out. It's not too late to mass together and try to get these issues fixed. These won't release until winter, and we have the quote of FUNimation supposedly appealing to the hardcore fans. It's now or never.

If you don't have a Twitter account, make one.
If you don't have a YouTube account, make one.
If you don't have a FUNimation account, make one.

Flood them with complaints and requests.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm
This load of crap looks.. decent? Well, if you like it then enjoy it, I guess. But it's still as bad as it was before.

You can even see it ever more clearly on the "Before" vs "After" screenshots.
I glanced over the thread and got curious, but nope, saw the comparison shots and still the same. FUNi thinking the “after” shots (especially the Cell ones) looking better is SAD. What’s even more sad is they show their ignorance on their blog photos!
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm The important thing here is: Make some noise people. We now know that speaking up does SOMETHING. Had we all just rolled over in 2014 with the Blu-rays it's almost certain that this 4:3 set wouldn't have come out. It's not too late to mass together and try to get these issues fixed. These won't release until winter, and we have the quote of FUNimation supposedly appealing to the hardcore fans. It's now or never.

If you don't have a Twitter account, make one.
If you don't have a YouTube account, make one.
If you don't have a FUNimation account, make one.

Flood them with complaints and requests.
Absolutely.

This new video is clearly a response to all the complaints, so everyone who was already complaining: DO NOT STOP.
Everyone who wasn't complaining before: START NOW.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm Someone on Reddit pointed out that if you do "Open image in new tab" on any of the comparison images and remove the "-1024x576" from the image url, you can get the images in much higher resolution. Now whether this is FUNi intentionally keeping the images at lower res to make their remaster look better...I'm not sure what to think.
Oh my God, that is true! It goes all the way up to 1080!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello hardcore DBZ fans, Gohan now has a sunburn in blu-rah quality! :thumbup:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Oh, it's definitely because of that.

Think you could link the high-res images here for me? I'm in the UK, so I'm geoblocked out of the blog.
Here you go :D

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm Hello hardcore DBZ fans, Gohan now has a sunburn in blu-rah quality! :thumbup:
Tell your FUNimation rep to pass all of this criticism on, please.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
Source? I've seen a lot of people toss this around with no source to speak of, and I'm pretty certain it's just a rumour.
I thought that was stated somewhere as the reason why the colors had shifted from how they apparently were when the episodes were originally filmed, unless i'm just totally mistaken.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.