Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:07 am

Son Dragon wrote:I'm not sure how you could count this but in Toyotaro's recent illustration for tue Dragon Ball website, Turles (Tullece) is listed as one of the Saiyan who would have or has somehow survived the destruction of Planet Vegeta, which I.thought was a little interesting. Also now that I think.about it, in the manga those Cell Jr.'s could probably lead to something...
I think the Cell Jrs might be the perfect(heh) way for Cell to return. His consciousness could exist partially in his offspring and he's slowly attempting to take control of them, that being the reason why they're awfully obedient since Cell is secretly following orders to throw everyone off.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:44 am

I think the Shadow Dragons should be canonized or something

Cause the idea of them was great but the execution was bad

7 bad guys in 17 episodes

Where

Haze,Rage,Oceanus, - 1 ep each
Naturon - 2 episodes
Nouva - 2.5 episodes
Eis - 1.5 episodes
Syn/Omega - around 8 episodes

So if they brought back the Dragons (maybe alongside Zalama as the puppet master trying to prove Old Kai’s Point of overuse and to see if Universe 7 & Universe 6 are still worthy of his creations) with more equal breathing room for character development. They may be better then GT’s version

Like maybe 35 episodes to cover all 7 dragons

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 pm

I would rather we get new and interesting characters (which seems to be the case with the like of Moro, in my own opinion) but if we do see any characters make a comeback, I would like to see:

-Cooler: A likely choice as hes another one of the more popular DBZ movie villains

-Baby: Easy to tie into the lore with the Tsfurijins

-Tapion and Hirudegarn: I love the concept of a great evil sealed away inside of a warrior that is then released. Could even make him the first time traveler from U11

-Bojack and Crew: Though not a "major" threat, I could see them make some sort of appearance in the form of escaped Galactic Patrol prisoners, perhaps in a "Slice of Life" style episode similar to the Great Saiyaman episodes in Super

-Lord Slug: As we see more of the U6 Namekians, if they are like the Saiyans and are the opposite of their U7 counterparts, Slug could fit right in as a tyrannical Namekain

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I would rather we get new and interesting characters (which seems to be the case with the like of Moro, in my own opinion) but if we do see any characters make a comeback, I would like to see:

-Cooler: A likely choice as hes another one of the more popular DBZ movie villains

-Baby: Easy to tie into the lore with the Tsfurijins

-Tapion and Hirudegarn: I love the concept of a great evil sealed away inside of a warrior that is then released. Could even make him the first time traveler from U11

-Bojack and Crew: Though not a "major" threat, I could see them make some sort of appearance in the form of escaped Galactic Patrol prisoners, perhaps in a "Slice of Life" style episode similar to the Great Saiyaman episodes in Super

-Lord Slug: As we see more of the U6 Namekians, if they are like the Saiyans and are the opposite of their U7 counterparts, Slug could fit right in as a tyrannical Namekain
Bolded: if they do that maybe throw in Oren & Kamin (or a new Tuffle Duo) that could give us more Tuffle Saiyans or something

Cause if we just get Baby... the end result may be just Baby Vegeta in Strongest Form Blue. So then if we get more Tuffles... maybe it can lead to something similar to Kamin Kale & Oren Caulifla with possibly introducing Strongest Form 3 or something new

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:30 pm

- A canon Tsufurian would sure be interesting.
- A canon Janemba breaking the entire multi-verse would sound cool. There was a canon Janemba theory post around here somewhere but I can't find it.
- Maaayyybe a Lord Slug? Piccolo's days being in the spotlight have been over for years, so maybe Toriyama's willing to give him another shot?

And... that's about it. All the other villains are boring.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm "Canonizing" Broly was an acceptable idea because he's a Saiyan and he's stupidly popular, so whether you like him or not, there are lots of interesting things you can do with the storytelling and background lore there. It was enough to make Toriyama feel invested in rebooting him.

I can't say the same for... well, literally anyone else. There's just no justification for it. Damn near everybody and their grandma would prefer to see a new antagonist at this point.
I can't agree. Out of all the movie villains, Broly is the least interesting. Don't get me wrong, he's cool, but really, he's just another strong Saiyan and there's not much to his backstory even the new version. Pretty much every other villain has more going for them, even Bojack.

I'd like to see them all if I'm honest. Each of the movie villains gives us a chance to dive into the histories and motivations of the existing cast and presents a unique chance to make them relevant for an arc or two.

Garlic Jr. - Gives us more of a look into the mystical/supernatural nature of the Earth and the lineage of its guardians. Could be a great nostalgia trip with a Goku/Piccolo team up.

Dr. Wheelo - Could present a twisted mirror into the obsession and cruelty of Gero and maybe link the Androids #17 & #18, along with completing the #16 storyline (if Wheelo has a connection to Gero.) Maybe he's a Gero fanboy who gained access to his blueprints.

Turles - Could present an interesting look into base born Saiyans and why he and Goku look so much alike or perhaps that can be the whole mystery of the arc. I'd like him to be Bardock's age. Then again, another evil Goku arc would be a bit much. I'd be into it if they played their cards right. Tree of Might could be a God tree and the fruit could grant the powers of a god.

Other ideas, maybe he could be tied to Goku's lineage, like an ancestor beyond even Bardock. Maybe they were once royalty in a history long ago, usurped by the Vegeta royal family lol.

Lord Slug - Can't get around this one, movie Slug is just King Piccolo the movie. To make he and Turles more interesting, I'd link the two of them into an alliance as space pirates kinda like they were in their respective movies. I'd throw a twist into this to that I'm saving for later. Overall, I'd use him to show the abuses and tragedy of Namekian fusion. With him having a Namekian "factory" of warriors made just to boost his power.

Cooler - Cooler's the easiest one to add to canon. Have him as an outcast looking to usurp the throne his father gave to Frieza. Have him be well traveled between multiverses collecting knowledge and fighters to help him conquer his brother and father. A war between him and Frieza where Frieza is forced to beg Goku and co. for help would be glorious. The unveiling of his 5th form would also be glorious.

Broly - Already done

Bojack - To spice things up a bit, I think I'd have space pirates Turles and Slug be rogue subordinates of Bojack. The original plan was to help Bojack gather the seeds to plant the Tree of Might to challenge one of the gods Bojack has beef with, but after Bojack gets sealed Turles and Slug have their own plans. I'd have the Turles and Slug arc lead up to the release of Bojack, hell, it'd be cool to see even more of the movies linked to this like with the MCU/Thanos. Anyways, I'd have this culminate in the blooming of the Tree of Might with Bojack eating its fruit and trying to kill, I guess, Beerus and/or Whis.

Moro is kinda ruining this by stealing elements of Bojack's story with Tree of Might esque planetary life force drain/absorption but this would still be good.

Android 13, 14, 15 - I guess they could be linked to Dr. Wheelo. That's what I would do. More Androids is a bit redundant, so I'd just make them Wheelo's heavies.

Returns - Meta Cooler is great, but Bio-Broly ... please no.

Hirudegarn - Hirudegarn is probably the most unique of the movie villains. I think it'd be fine to just retell the events of the movie. I would tie them to something existing in the show, maybe Bibidi and Babidi and roll from there. As far as Hirudegarn being an actual threat, maybe tie him to the dreams/nightmares of everyone on the planet including the Z Warriors. The excuse of ancient magic because insanely strong/terrifying (Moro, Buu) is also acceptable.

Anyways, that's the way I'd do it. Took 10 minutes too, so I'm sure a well-paid team including the creator of the franchise could easily do something interesting with these characters. I'm okay if they don't, but if they do, it's easy money

*edit:
forgot Janemba - If Buu is some sort of primordial evil birthed in the earliest days of the universe, I'd have Janemba be his replacement. I'd have Buu as initially created to form a universal balance before the age of the Gods of Destruction and after, the same source that created Buu makes Janemba to initially wipe out those who defeated Buu, before wiping out all gods of Destruction. That one took all of 3 minutes. I'm sure Toei and Toriyama-san could do much much better.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:21 pm

I'd love cooler. Also if frieza returns again during it a fusion of cooler and frieza would be awesome to witness.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Potara-Warrior96 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 pm
theherodjl wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've made my opinions pretty clear. Broly and the concepts surrounding the original were worthy the general quality of storytelling and concepts of the rest of the series.
I'm sorry but personally, I've always felt the original Broly story was pretty awful to which the new movie rectified quite nicely in my opinion. I always hated how Broly was a lazily-written monster with no redeeming qualities and how much Takao Koyama sucked him off in being the strongest anime character during the Z-era. Broly was pure evil because he was the strongest Saiyan and the strongest Saiyan because he was pure evil, he had no motivation to be a villain beyond that circular reasoning. The new movie paints him in a much more sympathetic and dare I say, human manner. He is conflicted mentally between wanting to actually show some empathy for living beings & becoming a raging beast when his transformations cause him to lose reason, something akin to a Space Jekll & Hyde. He actually has room to develop as a character in choosing between being a good guy or a bad guy in comparison to his original incarnation where he was born to be evil beyond redemption, there is some tragedy now and Broly is much more relatable as a result.
I've come to respect Toriyama much more as a writer for improving a one-off character design he originally did and left in the hands of a fanboy who wanted the character to be the biggest & baddest DB villain ever, he really ought to have been as involved in this from the start as he eventually became but I guess we all have our opinions.
I fail to see how NuBroly can get any sympathy considering he had it way easier than the old Broly plus of you're referring to the whole "mad cause Gokus cried when they were infants" thing was never his motivation to begin with. As their are more implications of him suffering from ptsd and add on top of that his lssj form slowly eating away at his mental state causing him to become consumed by his Saiyans instincts and the fact that him going last caused him extreme pain as well.
I never thought I'd say this and I swear this isn't to be a contrarian, but I find the older version of Broly to be more interesting. The new Broly barely did anything for me. His gentleness didn't do much for the story and by the end of it, he had less personality and presence than the older one. I will say that the new Broly has more potential to grow as a character, but being sympathetic does not automatically make him a better character. At least the old Broly had a goal: kill Kakarott.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Frankly I'm more interested in seeing new villains rather than bringing back old ones, Broly of course being an exception. But I always thought that Black was essentially a way to bring Tullece into the canon. I don't think we need two evil Goku's in the official timeline.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Obligatory "I want new characters first" sentiment. But if they do decide to bring older characters in, here's some pitches.

Cooler - Freeza's alive again, and we've never seen these two interact. It'd be really interesting to see how Freeza and Cooler get along, maybe New Cooler has a drastically different personality from his father and brother. Does he run an empire, is he a loner? Is he off in a different universe? Maybe he and Freeza could have a rivalry of sorts, or there could be an arc where Goku and Vegeta have to try to resolve a war between the two empires. Lots of potential here.

Shadow Dragons- The most interesting concept from GT, and Super does such a good job setting them up. That episode where all the Z-Fighters argue about frivolous things to use the Dragon Balls on is just begging for a Shadow Dragons arc.

Launch - Her being gone just feels like a loose end. They should bring her back to the core cast or at least do an episode or two with her. If Toriyama seems so confident on shoehorning useless Roshi into Super, they might as well acknowledge Launch for a second.

TheDecentSaiyaman

Post by TheDecentSaiyaman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

I've been rewatching the King Piccolo arc and it got me thinking about how current Piccolo would react to seeing his "children" again, especially Tambourine.

Obviously, they'd have to do some pretty big logistical gymnastics to even bring them back or even make them a threat, but I guess I'm most interested in the idea of Piccolo's connection with his offspring. In the original series, he expresses genuine anguish and affection for his Cymbal and Tambourine (albeit in a sinister manner), especially after their death. Piccolo's changed a lot since then – not even really the same person anymore since he refused with Kami. Could work for a character-driven, mini-arc. Piccolo having to face off against a power-boosted Tambourine would have some really great drama.

It's been so long since anyone's really mentioned Piccolo's past that I'd love to give some appreciation for how far he's come and the aspects of himself he's left behind.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:42 pm

Most people have covered me up with their view on the subject, but it is only fair for me to state my opinion as well. :lol:
  • Cooler— I had created an entire thread as to why Cooler would make sense in the current continuity. Him being an outcast of the Cold Family and the scapegoat of their Empire. His return could be a random occurence, but knowing of Freeza's whereabouts, he could be training hard in order to face him. I strongly believe that relevant third parties are needed in the story. Characters that would interact with both the evil and the good individuals. Cooler could fill that role. Giving him a proper background on as to how he built his er and granting him with a 4th Golden form, wouldn't seem as fanservice to me.
  • Hirudegarn— His concept is perhaps one of the best that came out from the original Z films. So original. It might be clishé in comparison to other franchises, however it was something new and unique to Dragon Ball. The idea of a towering behemoth spreading havoc, with some mighty heroes (Tapion and Minosha) sacrificing themselves with the help of their Guardian in order to contaminate the godly threat. Hirudegarn could get a decent power-up in order to fight with Goku and Vegeta, but his design should look more like his first, skeleton-like form, even when evolving. A good sidestrory. Hirudegarn being awaken by an evil character in order to fulfill his purpose.
  • Makaioshins/Makaios— I think that one of Dragon Ball Heroes' best ideas was that of the Demon Realm and the Demon Gods. The return of Dabura, resurrected by his sister Towa and her loyal subordinate Mira. All for the eventual rebirth of Mechikabura and Demigra (the Makaioshins). You get the idea on this one.
  • Bojack/Lord Slug/Turles— Someone above had a very interesting idea with these three. Bojack being the main villain and the other two wishing to get him out of prison or something, perhaps on an alternate dimension. Turles another surviving Saiyan who got his hands on the seeds of the Tree of Might, Slug a Namekian with great knowledge and a great understanding of the gods and Bojack, a villain imprisoned by the Kais themselves. After all these years they should have grown in power and considering that they had access to the Tree of Might, they would be trong enough for our heroes. Perhaps, lesser characters like Piccolo, Gohan, 17 etc. could work this out.
The rest ideas that I have aren't as creative, but they could tie well with what we have. Tuffles could return (but seeing how Kamin and Oren are a thing, I question this suggestion) with a being like Hatchiyak being in charge. The Shadow Dragons would be amazing! With some changes though. Janemba could potentially be a good addition, Garlic Junior as well. Damn, I even have an urge to watch the two arcs from SDBH without the weird Xeno stuff. The Prison Planet arc and the Universe Conflict arc. I actually like Cumber, despite all the hate surrounding him.

Lastly, why not Android 21? With 13, 14 and 15 having been reactivated by her to serve her. Sounds far-fetched? Maybe. It is not like any of these will be produced though. :lol:

But always, we need fresh things.
P O W E R

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Cell should return, and Android 21 should be canonized. Other then that, I don't care much for anyone else.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I think Cooler and Ssj4 are sure things to be next. On one hand it's great to see these concepts get a second chance. On the other I can't help but think that every classic concept that's brought back results in one less new concept being introduced.

As good as the Broly movie was, what did it bring to the table that wasn't already in the original movie 8 ? Same thing with RF, it brought back Freeza but it didn't bring anything new to the franchise or do anything better than Freeza's own arc on Namek. The Future Trunks arc is the same thing. Instead of focusing on U10 and the possibilities it could've brought, we were stuck with Trunks trying to save his timeline which was the exact same thing he was doing in the Android/Cell arc. Like with RF, it didn't do anything that wasn't already done in his original arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:28 pm

As far as what New Broly brings to the table, I think he could easily slot into Gohan's old role when Super comes back. He has the same gimmick Gohan did, exponential power boosts brought on by rage. He's also got batshit insane potential like Gohan, he can beat Goku and Vegeta at once with few zenkai boosts and little real combat training. If Freeza really does decide to settle down and train a bunch, Broly might be the only one able to stop him, aside from the Angels who would likely not participate.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 am

I've posted on something similar to this before, but my personal list would be something like:

21: Cool design, interesting idea, ties in with the Androids and Red Ribbon Army while still being a new character. Probably would not want her doing what she did in FighterZ if she were to be used in the main series, but it would be nice to have her around as someone that could help out in the future. The fact that her regular self is a scientist could make things more interesting.

Cooler: Out of all the movie villains, I'd say he's the most likely to be "canonized." People are familiar with him and giving him a new design wouldn't hurt that much. If anything, it would be nice to explore a bit more of the old Cold Army.

Cell Jr.(s): Manga already introduced them, don't think it would hurt to have a few episodes telling something that happened in the island that 17 works in during the Tournament of Power. Kinda gives Goten and Trunks something to do as well.

It would probably not be the best idea to bring stuff like the Time Patrol and the Makai into the main series given how convoluted everything is on the games that involve them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 am

Akamay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 amCell Jr.(s): Manga already introduced them, don't think it would hurt to have a few episodes telling something that happened in the island that 17 works in during the Tournament of Power. Kinda gives Goten and Trunks something to do as well.
I don't want to give them any ideas but one thing they could do is bring in a grown up Cell JR that somehow survived the fight with Gohan. That way they have Cell back with a different color like Freeza.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Akamay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 amIt would probably not be the best idea to bring stuff like the Time Patrol and the Makai into the main series given how convoluted everything is on the games that involve them.
What is so "convoluted" about that?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:56 pm

sintzu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 am
Akamay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 amCell Jr.(s): Manga already introduced them, don't think it would hurt to have a few episodes telling something that happened in the island that 17 works in during the Tournament of Power. Kinda gives Goten and Trunks something to do as well.
I don't want to give them any ideas but one thing they could do is bring in a grown up Cell JR that somehow survived the fight with Gohan. That way they have Cell back with a different color like Freeza.
Would be kinda hard to justify that character being a true menace, but it could be a good filler episode villain.
After all, there are a bunch of Cell Jr.s in the manga with no real explanation of where they came from or why there are still a bunch of them around.
Grimlock wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Akamay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 amIt would probably not be the best idea to bring stuff like the Time Patrol and the Makai into the main series given how convoluted everything is on the games that involve them.
What is so "convoluted" about that?
If you bring in the time patrol, you have to address the Time Kaioshin, Demigra, Mechikabura, explain how that Future Trunks is different from the Future Trunks from Super. In addition to that, it would probably require the cast to deal with time paradoxes meaning that they would have to go over stuff that has already been covered a bunch of time before for a while before they can get to the "new" stuff. It would be either a bit too repetitive or a bit too rushed.
But dunno, that's just how I feel about it. For all I know, I could be horribly wrong about all that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 am

Akamay wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:56 pmIf you bring in the time patrol, you have to address the Time Kaioshin, Demigra, Mechikabura, explain how that Future Trunks is different from the Future Trunks from Super. In addition to that, it would probably require the cast to deal with time paradoxes meaning that they would have to go over stuff that has already been covered a bunch of time before for a while before they can get to the "new" stuff. It would be either a bit too repetitive or a bit too rushed.
But dunno, that's just how I feel about it. For all I know, I could be horribly wrong about all that.
You don't necessarily need to address anyone other than Trunks and Kaioshin of Time. Demigra, Mechikabura and everyone else are Dimps creations (except Mira, Towa and Fu, but even them can be replaced). You can use them or come up with new villain(s) to counter the Time Patrol. Time Patroller Trunks is not different than Future Trunks from Dragon Ball Super. As Trunks goes to his new timeline, Kaioshin of Time summons him and make him a Time Patroller (or that's what should have happened, as a matter of fact).

I still don't see how this is convoluted, by the way.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~