Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm Hello hardcore DBZ fans, Gohan now has a sunburn in blu-rah quality! :thumbup:
FUNimation is like "We're never going to release the Level Sets again but here are a couple of screenshots to show how good it would have looked."

It's strange, they didn't provide any Majin Boo arc screenshots, unfortunately.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:12 pm Hello hardcore DBZ fans, Gohan now has a sunburn in blu-rah quality! :thumbup:
Tell your FUNimation rep to pass all of this criticism on, please.
You should’ve emailed FUNi and said you’ll buy this set if they make the remaster look similar to the “before” photos, without pink skinned Gohan, which looks like crap.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 pm
FUNimation is like "We're never going to release the Level Sets again but here are a couple of screenshots to show how good it would have looked."

It's strange, they didn't provide any Majin Boo arc screenshots, unfortunately.
Yeah, sucks. =\
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 pm
How can they go from normal skin colored SSJ Gohan to pink skin SSJ Gohan. Who the fuck does that?
The Dragon Boxes. But Toei doesn't exactly know what they're doing either.
That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
If that's the case then how come the Gohan image that Funi posted from the raw masters looks normal?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
You should’ve emailed FUNi and said you’ll buy this set if they make the remaster look similar to the “before” photos, without pink skinned Gohan, which looks like crap.
I already have. On many different platforms. And I haven't actually bought it yet. But you have ties, somehow, to a rep. Pass it on please is all I'm saying.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm
The Dragon Boxes. But Toei doesn't exactly know what they're doing either.
That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
If that's the case then how come the Gohan image that Funi posted from the raw masters looks normal?
Color correction perhaps? I'm honestly not sure exactly what the deal is with that. I just know i have seen comparisons between the Dragon Boxes and other elements including up to some scans of shots from film and clearly the colors are different.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 pm

The raw size of the "Before" screenshots are up to 8mb! Wow, thanks for that, FUNimation! :D

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm

I honestly wonder if we, as a fandom, would be capable of putting enough pressure on them to release the version seen in the "before" as opposed to this smeary mess. Like obviously they'd have to put into 4:3 instead of the slightly wider ratio the film is in, but that would be far better looking than this.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:25 pm

bigray wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm Honestly I'd take that message as "it's the cropped version you saw in the preview but we don't want to tell you that" because what is the point of holding back that kind of information unless it was going to ruin your sales?
It could also be that Customer Support doesn't want to step on the toes of marketing, especially if marketing has to course-correct after the reveal.
KillerCory wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:47 pm I know it says "artwork" isn't final but why do the discs have season numbers on them?

Are they using the orange brick season numbers...?
It's likely to remain consistent with their previous releases, since the Blu Seasons (not to mention the Blue and Green Bricks) use that concept as well.
Scsigs wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:46 pm Hopefully they'll take much better care & it's just YouTube's compression that's getting rid of the grain.
It's a possibility. I've uploaded raw PS1 footage to YouTube and the compression gets rid of the dithering, which is a shame.
superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:16 pm Hm, in those shots it looks like the Black Bricks are more cropped. Odd. Did the original 16mm tapes get even more damaged as the years passed?
I would imagine so. Remember that Funimation's footage is at this point a fair bit removed from whatever Toei has in their vaults due to the passage of time and being a multi-generational copy, so what they're able to make at the end will have differences.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm That has to do with the fact that the 16mm film prints had degraded slightly by the time Toei and Pony Canyon dug them out to create the masters for the Dragon Boxes in 2002/2003.
Color correction perhaps? I'm honestly not sure exactly what the deal is with that. I just know i have seen comparisons between the Dragon Boxes and other elements including up to some scans of shots from film and clearly the colors are different.
I think by "raw master", Funimation is talking about their own one.

Would anyone be able to take screenshots or transcript the blog post? Similar to Robo, I'm not American so apparently my opinion doesn't matter, haha.
PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm I honestly wonder if we, as a fandom, would be capable of putting enough pressure on them to release the version seen in the "before" as opposed to this smeary mess. Like obviously they'd have to put into 4:3 instead of the slightly wider ratio the film is in, but that would be far better looking than this.
That might be a very good point. If we feel the un-DNR'd version is preferable and all Funi has to do is NOT apply the DNR (which is hopefully being done BEFORE the cropping), well, that's less time and money Funi has to spend on the production process, right?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 pm
I already have. On many different platforms. And I haven't actually bought it yet. But you have ties, somehow, to a rep. Pass it on please is all I'm saying.
I will do my best. But it helps hearing from other fans, not just myself.
My YouTube

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Look at this looks considerably better than the initial trailer, I would be ok with this but I want it even better so keep up that complaining guys lets get the grain back and the horrendous dvnr removed. We could end up with a stunning release of the bitching continues!!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 pm

If FUNimation released the "Before" as it is, I'd happily pay $500-700 for it. :D

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Can everyone now admit this project is a WIP and the feedback actually will matter? I think our feedback will make a difference on this release!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm Can everyone now admit this project is a WIP and the feedback actually will matter? I think our feedback will make a difference on this release!
FUNimation is stubborn and with the 2nd Trailer they tried to prove they were offering a superior product which is not the case. Whether they ultimately do it properly or not, we've to see.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:32 pm Can everyone now admit this project is a WIP and the feedback actually will matter? I think our feedback will make a difference on this release!
We don't know if it'll work. But our best possible chance of it working is to complain right now. As loud as we can. We won't get another opportunity like this for years to come.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm

You honestly believe FUNi will “reverse” their remaster to look more like the original (or as we believe Level Set)? I doubt it. They officially posted “before” and “after”, which the “after” is trash in comparison imo. I think this is what we’ll get, unfortunately.
My YouTube

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 pm
I will do my best. But it helps hearing from other fans, not just myself.
Thank you. I'm trying hard myself.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 pm

True but this second trailer was not what they initially had planned or like I said they just took the season sets out them in 4:3 and slapped them in the trailer because they don’t have the project done yet. It’s one of these two but keep the bitching going 😋.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:25 pm Would anyone be able to take screenshots or transcript the blog post? Similar to Robo, I'm not American so apparently my opinion doesn't matter, haha.
Sure, here's a transcription of the blog post for you and anyone else outside the US:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Will there be any funi reps at KamehaCon besides actors? I can try mentioning it to Sabat but I doubt there is much he can do.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.